Slaves

Wait why? It's a valid question that's going to go into a TL! Seriously, do you KNOW the Ancient Jewish System? It made sense, and it was exceedingly practical, relying on the slave's wishes.

Urusai[InFi];2262357 said:
Is it worth it? I liked the Jewish system.

Incredibly nice to know. The way you drafted your argument is peerless. I'm certain such a great contribution as yours will be the source of inspiration for researchers to come.

MrP

Banned
Urusai[InFi];2262396 said:
It's a goddamn question!!! This is a discussion thread not a flame thread...

Perhaps you could explain in detail for what reason you feel the Jewish system had merit. Simply saying it's good is merely a statement of personal opinion, and not terribly useful in a debate.

Urusai[InFi];2262385 said:
Wait why? It's a valid question that's going to go into a TL! Seriously, do you KNOW the Ancient Jewish System? It made sense, and it was exceedingly practical, relying on the slave's wishes.

Okay, why didn't you post this before? However, what does it have to do with Alternate History. If its going into a TL you are writing just post the TL.

Urusai[InFi];2262385 said:

Ancient Jewish slavery wasn't exactly based on the slave's wishes. Where are you getting this? "Dear slave, what would you like?" "Well first of all, YOU CAN FUCKING FREE ME, and second, STOP TOUCHING ME THERE."

Urusai[InFi],

I think if perhaps you changed the wording of your original post you would probably get a better response. For instance instead of:
"slaver, is it worth it? I liked the jewish system"
You could instead ask:
"What were some of the differences among various systems of slavery and which ones were the most pragmatic?"
Because simply querying about the "worth" of slavery is not very useful to a discussion.

Ancient Jewish slavery wasn't exactly based on the slave's wishes. Where are you getting this? "Dear slave, what would you like?" "Well first of all, YOU CAN FUCKING FREE ME, and second, STOP TOUCHING ME THERE."

Not many slavery systems were.

Lets see
Slave, sleyv
-noun
a person who is the property of and wholly subject to another; a bond servant.

Well that doesn't exactly sound like letting them have their wishes now does it?

I think a form of slavery where the possibility of freedom due to good work or conduct has to be different then a purely racial system that enslaves based on the ideology of one race over another.

The only form of slavery which would be ethical would be one where a slave consents to enslavement, and is able to break off that enslavement at any time they wish. Which is essentially what an employer-employee relationship is, with getting paid thrown into the mix.

Ok my bad, I read up on it a little and I'll pick and choose certain aspects I found of merit.

These would be MY version of the rules.

1) After 6 years slaves were automatically freed (This is OTL true but it only applied to other Jews, foreign slaves were out of luck)
2) Although an owner could beat a male or female slave, she/he would have to avoid serious injury (In the Jewish system the limit was to the eyes and teeth, as well as incapacitation to 2 days)
3)A slave was considered a piece of property, and thus could normally be resold to anyone at any time for any reason. If a person bought a female slave from her father and she displeased him, he had no right to sell her to a foreign owner. If the owner required her to marry his son, then the owner was required to treat her like a daughter-in-law. If the owner marries his slave and later marries another woman, he was required to treat his slave as he previously had. If he violates any of these requirements, then she must be emancipated. (This only applied to hebrews OTL though)
4) No Rape.

Ok so that's kind of a rough draft for my system. I'm not condoning it but I thought this system is much better then some others.

"I want to deport all Negroes to Liberia."--Abraham Lincoln
Well, this is technically abolitionist, although as racist as the Nazi idea of deporting all Jews to Madgascar.

Now, a Madagascarian Jewish state with slaves consisting of deported African Americans* would be the worst idea for a TL I can personally imagine.

*or whatever it is they call Americans of African descent these days

Nietzsche

Banned
Well, this is technically abolitionist, although as racist as the Nazi idea of deporting all Jews to Madgascar.

Now, a Madagascarian Jewish state with slaves consisting of deported African Americans* would be the worst idea for a TL I can personally imagine.

*or whatever it is they call Americans of African descent these days
They could be 'African'(Black) Irish Americans.