Simeon II goes for return of monarchy instead prime minister.

pls don't ban me

Monthly Donor
in 2001, Simeon II won the elections with his party and become prime minister (a disaster).
At the time people where really supporting him and i think he might have tried to bring back monarchy.
SO what if he manages to make a call for a referendum, win and become again Tsar of Bulgaria? it's obvious the government will have a parliament but what would the bulgarian development and impact on the other ex-commies that had monarchy?( romania, hungary, serbia).

Deleted member 140587

A Bulgarian restoration might bolster other the standing of restorationist movements in the former Eastern Bloc. The monarchies of Serbia, Romania, Croatia, and Georgia are likely beneficiaries of such a return in monarchist sentiments.

However, I seem to remember Simeon II expressing disinterest in the role. In fact, I believe he balked at the government's returning of his family's ancestral palace. I'd go so far as to say that all of these other countries I've mentioned would have a better chance at seeing monarchical restoration then Bulgaria would.

Serbia Romania and Georgia certainly had a higher chance of restoration than Bulgaria.
But it is doable if Simeon instead ran for president like he wanted to.

pls don't ban me

Monthly Donor
A Bulgarian restoration might bolster other the standing of restorationist movements in the former Eastern Bloc. The monarchies of Serbia, Romania, Croatia, and Georgia are likely beneficiaries of such a return in monarchist sentiments.

However, I seem to remember Simeon II expressing disinterest in the role. In fact, I believe he balked at the government's returning of his family's ancestral palace. I'd go so far as to say that all of these other countries I've mentioned would have a better chance at seeing monarchical restoration then Bulgaria would.
one thing that always confuses me about him is denying his widh to be moanrch but also insisting of being recognized as tsar of the Bulgarians.
what about his nephew? boris IV.
since simeone has been prime minister he swayed loyalty to the republic so he can't be king anymore, but his nephew can

Dementor

Banned
in 2001, Simeon II won the elections with his party and become prime minister (a disaster).
At the time people where really supporting him and i think he might have tried to bring back monarchy.
SO what if he manages to make a call for a referendum, win and become again Tsar of Bulgaria? it's obvious the government will have a parliament but what would the bulgarian development and impact on the other ex-commies that had monarchy?( romania, hungary, serbia).
As far as I'm aware, even with Simeon's popularity, there has never been a majority for restoring the monarchy. More importantly, this is not how the Bulgarian constitution works. For a constitutional amendment of this magnitude, a extraordinary National Assembly would have to be convened (which requires support of two-thirds of the ordinary National Assembly) and then it would have to approve the change to a monarchy with two-third majority. Even the first step would be unlikely to attract the needed support in parliament - even the relatively monarchy friendly would not want their power decreased - if it was considered at all.

Also it should be pointed out that Simeon did not want to initially run for prime minister - he wanted to be President instead. However, the Constitutional court ruled him ineligible and then only then did he found a party and decide to take power by parliamentary elections. Now if he had been allowed to become President and had raised the idea of a monarchy after he had been become a head of state, the outcome could well have been different. Or maybe not, considering that taking over land that he didn't have a right to hardly endeared him to the electorate...

Nothing could be further from the truth. Yes, he did initially express outrage over this idea, but this was in 1990, when the chance of getting his property back seemed impossible. When he came to power, not only was his ancestral property returned to him, but he also received a large number of properties (estimated value $200 million) that had never belonged to his family.