Siberian Spring

NapoleonXIV

Banned
WI around 900 AD a climactic anomaly occurs. Siberia becomes, over the next century, about 10 degrees warmer, or however much is necessary to make it correspond to present day Western Europe. This is the only change, everywhere else stays the same as in OTL. It stays that way until, in about 1800 it starts to change back, becoming as it always was by 1900.

What are the consequences?

Darkest

Banned
I'm thinking this is probably ASB.

One thing I heard from Mr. Bondoc... there is a huge amount of methane frozen in Siberian peat bogs. Increase the temperature, Bondoc says, and such methane will be released, accelerating global warming.

NapoleonXIV

Banned
I'm thinking this is probably ASB.

One thing I heard from Mr. Bondoc... there is a huge amount of methane frozen in Siberian peat bogs. Increase the temperature, Bondoc says, and such methane will be released, accelerating global warming.

I don't see ASB as I'm not positing a rainfall increase. The Endless Steppes are...endless..remember? Have high altitude winds a little stronger, and the effect of the warm North Atlantic can come much further into the Eurasian land mass, what's to stop it?

But, good lord, millenia old mammoth farts bursting over the bogs like odoriferous Tunguskas? What would the shamans make of that?

Last edited:

ninebucks

Banned
Siberia is huge untapped resource, thoughtfully deep-frozen for us in case we overheat the rest of world. The soils are so rich that once unthawed the whole of Northern Asia would become one massive breadbasket, and could easily support hugely complex societies.

For this not to be ASB you need to give something more than a climatic anomaly. Siberia's climate is due to its location, being north and east. No ocean currents to transfer heat and air currents are cooled before they get there. Similar situation to northeastern Canada, without Hudson's Bay.

That said, Siberia has a lot of resources that have not been exploited due to the climate. I don't know if the tundra and/or taiga soils are or can be easily modified for agriculture.

I strongly doubt that Siberia has "rich" soil. Siberia's taiga roughly correlates to the taiga in Canada, and I know that in Labrador, they have some seasonal farming, but it's very poor and very limited.

There's a strip of land in Siberia where it's neither too cold nor too dry and the ground is quite fertile (it's loess).