Seven Days to the River Rhine: the Third World War - a TL

The internet has already arrived, I suppose that Indian films and Latin American soap operas will end up dominating audiovisual productions.
Since the equivalent of the World Wide Web is now available in ATL 2023, I'd imagine the interface here would look like OTL 1990s:

So it's still known as the Internet but what would the URL be like? Is it still www.?

I like how alternate timelines have alternate versions of the internet. For example, in @LouisTheGreyFox 's 1983: Doomsday extension TL The Eagle Down Under, there is an equivalent of the internet with ATL equivalents of Facebook, Twitter, Reddit, and YouTube under different names. In @CalBear's AANW, the Internet is known as "The Grid" and it becomes available to the public by 1995 (4 years later than OTL).

Since the equivalent of the World Wide Web is now available in ATL 2023, I'd imagine the interface here would look like OTL 1990s:

So it's still known as the Internet but what would the URL be like? Is it still www.?

I like how alternate timelines have alternate versions of the internet. For example, in @LouisTheGreyFox 's 1983: Doomsday extension TL The Eagle Down Under, there is an equivalent of the internet with ATL equivalents of Facebook, Twitter, Reddit, and YouTube under different names. In @CalBear's AANW, the Internet is known as "The Grid" and it becomes available to the public by 1995 (4 years later than OTL).
Wait, didn't the internet become publicly available in 1995 IOTL?
EDIT: Nope, it was 1991, with it becoming free of charge in 1993. My bad, I thought it was '95.

Last edited:
Wait, didn't the internet become publicly available in 1995 IOTL?
EDIT: Nope, it was 1991, with it becoming free of charge in 1993. My bad, I thought it was '95.
I was using the internet before the World Wide Web was a thing :)

Back in the day I knew people who complained that the World Wide Web was wrecking the internet.

Insofar as this fictional time line is concerned I wonder which country (if any ?) is playing a dominant role vis a vis the internet ? India ?

I believe the first RFC for DNS wasn’t published until Dec 1983 IOTL so the internet in this fictional time line might be different ?

I also wonder how prevalent underseas cables and long range radio systems are vis a vis international communications ?

Last edited:
So a fair few Commonwealth nations managed to avoid being almost totally wiped out and one of the Royals maid it to South Africa and some Royal Navy vessels as well. The question is what happened to our Nuc boats did any survive in this time line and if so where did they go. Normally the U.K. has one on patrol one getting ready or just finished patrol and one or two in deep refit or training. If the UKs hunter killers made it the either South Africa or Australia will become a Nuc Navy and if any of the missiles boats made it with missiles then either country will be close to the top table in any ding dong going forward. If I remember correctly the option of going to a commonwealth country is supposed to be in the Sub Skippers letter of last resort.

How does the US do for Nuc Subs have hold they be in the same position ?

Last but not least how did the queen get taken out she was supposed to go hiding on Britannia up in the Scottish Fords.

Love the story it’s great.

As an aside - Not sure if you‘ve seen this on the news, but for the last several days the northeast US has been blanketed by smoke from wild fires in eastern Canada. A series of atmospheric conditions have directed and concentrated the particulates to move south in an unprecedented manner. Today, where I live in central New Jersey, it was so bad the air and sky was a dark yellow fog, with the sun an orange ball, and the smell of burning wood every where. At noon, it was so dark, the deer thought it was dusk and were out foraging. For the first week in June we usually have temperatures in the low 80s (F), but today we were in the 60s (F). At one point the local air quality index was 293 (a level of 300 is considered hazardous)! Tourists over in NYC couldn’t even see the Statue of Liberty. These conditions are supposed to last at least until Friday.

The reason I brought this up is, this event, from a localized forest fire, had such far ranging effects, I can’t imagine how bad the effects of the nuclear exchange described here would be worldwide.

ric350

Last edited:
Have borders changed much ITTL? IOTL the global powers mainly the US uphold global territorial integrity, meaning wars of conquest are few and far between since ww2, and borders are rarely changed. Afaik, since ww2, South Vietnam and GDR are the only nations to have been annexed by another. Obviously ITTL that has changed as evidenced by Iraq's enlargement. But you would expect things like this to be happening all over the world, no?
Some examples:
Could Saddam continue his conquests with Bahrain and Qatar? After all, why wouldn't he?
With Britain burned to ashes, will an intact Ireland move into the 6 northern counties? I can imagine the IRA had a field day in the period after the war, and with no British forces left in the area perhaps a full scale civil war occurs between the IRA and UVF.
Will nations like Belgium or Luxembourg which never really had any clearly defined ethnic identity survive post war? Especially since both will be heavily depopulated. Will they be absorbed into neighbouring states or will large states like France and Italy disintegrate entirely into various independent provinces? Is there any movement towards European unity or has that idea been abandoned after the war?
What happened to Portugal? Could this nationalist-authoritarian Spain invade them? Who is to stop them after all?
Will Austria join the new German confederation?
I could easily see Turkey invading Greek Aegean island and fully conquering Cyprus, again no-one to stop them. Was turkey heavily hit in the war? I Imagine Istanbul, Izmir and Ankara were nuked.
Then there's Russia. Will statelets like Chechnya, Ossetia, or Siberia emerge? I don't see much reason for China NOT to absorb large swaths of Russian Siberia, which I assume has a total population less than 10 million at this point, compared to China's billion. The Kurils, Sakhalin and Kamchatka to Japan?

Have borders changed much ITTL?

Surely speciality in Europe.

IOTL the global powers mainly the US uphold global territorial integrity, meaning wars of conquest are few and far between since ww2, and borders are rarely changed. Afaik, since ww2, South Vietnam and GDR are the only nations to have been annexed by another.

True that border changes have been rare after WW2 but these have happened. Yet with these yours examples there is:

- Annexation of Sikkim by India.
- Annexation of Tibet by China.
- Division of Korea.
- Dissolution of Soviet Union, Yugoslavia and Czechoslovakia
- Unification of Yemen.

And some other small changes.

Could Saddam continue his conquests with Bahrain and Qatar? After all, why wouldn't he?

Saudi Arabia might give such strong protection to them that even Saddam Hussein might think twice. And he is not going to live forever. I expect him dying sometimes in 2010's anyway. And it is probably messy thing for Iraq.

With Britain burned to ashes, will an intact Ireland move into the 6 northern counties? I can imagine the IRA had a field day in the period after the war, and with no British forces left in the area perhaps a full scale civil war occurs between the IRA and UVF.

Possible. At least Catholic counties of Northern Ireland. And you might not need even military force when you can provide protection and keeping order.

Will nations like Belgium or Luxembourg which never really had any clearly defined ethnic identity survive post war? Especially since both will be heavily depopulated. Will they be absorbed into neighbouring states or will large states like France and Italy disintegrate entirely into various independent provinces? Is there any movement towards European unity or has that idea been abandoned after the war?

At least there is mentioned Belgians so probably Belgium survived at least on some form. Probably France and Italy survived as unified nation unless they are nuked as badly as Germany. Not sure could EC survive from this.

What happened to Portugal? Could this nationalist-authoritarian Spain invade them? Who is to stop them after all?

Probably no one wouldn't stop them but why they would? They hardly want some millions of Portugueses who are going to resist whole thing. More plausible is annexation of Gibraltar.

Will Austria join the new German confederation?

Possible unless GC is too worried that Austria would get too much of influence.

I could easily see Turkey invading Greek Aegean island and fully conquering Cyprus, again no-one to stop them. Was turkey heavily hit in the war? I Imagine Istanbul, Izmir and Ankara were nuked.

Possible but if Ankara is nuked not sure could Turkish central government survive. And Kurds would take opportunity over temporal weakness of Turkish central government.

Then there's Russia. Will statelets like Chechnya, Ossetia, or Siberia emerge? I don't see much reason for China NOT to absorb large swaths of Russian Siberia, which I assume has a total population less than 10 million at this point, compared to China's billion. The Kurils, Sakhalin and Kamchatka to Japan?

Russia is not indeed exist anymore for while. Chechnya probably goes independent. Japan would take Kurils but not quite sure about Sakhalin and Kamtchakta.

And even then, Sikkim was a Princely State while no one recognized Tibetan independence with how the international community viewed it as part of the Republic of China beforehand.

Surely speciality in Europe.

True that border changes have been rare after WW2 but these have happened. Yet with these yours examples there is:

- Division of Korea.
- Dissolution of Soviet Union, Yugoslavia and Czechoslovakia
- Unification of Yemen.

And some other small changes.

Saudi Arabia might give such strong protection to them that even Saddam Hussein might think twice. And he is not going to live forever. I expect him dying sometimes in 2010's anyway. And it is probably messy thing for Iraq.

Possible. At least Catholic counties of Northern Ireland. And you might not need even military force when you can provide protection and keeping order.

At least there is mentioned Belgians so probably Belgium survived at least on some form. Probably France and Italy survived as unified nation unless they are nuked as badly as Germany. Not sure could EC survive from this.

Probably no one wouldn't stop them but why they would? They hardly want some millions of Portugueses who are going to resist whole thing. More plausible is annexation of Gibraltar.

Possible unless GC is too worried that Austria would get too much of influence.

Possible but if Ankara is nuked not sure could Turkish central government survive. And Kurds would take opportunity over temporal weakness of Turkish central government.

Russia is not indeed exist anymore for while. Chechnya probably goes independent. Japan would take Kurils but not quite sure about Sakhalin and Kamtchakta.
For Sakhalin and Kamchatka, I imagine it depends on what got nuked - if Petropavlovsk-kamchatskiy and yuzhno-sakhalinsk get plastered, there isn't exactly much of anybody left to really... resist.

For Sakhalin and Kamchatka, I imagine it depends on what got nuked - if Petropavlovsk-kamchatskiy and yuzhno-sakhalinsk get plastered, there isn't exactly much of anybody left to really... resist.
Even if nothing got nuked, I think that the inhabitants of Sakhalin and Kamchatka would prefer to be second class citizens in an land with an functioning economy. Personally I would think that not a lot of Japanese would be willing to settle their. In practice they would exchange the distant rule of Moscow for that of Tokyo, and live their own lives.

I liked the internet update. However the mention of India's vast mining industry made me wonder what about the green energy? Surely if we're in the 2000s already someone has thought of different things than old-school coal?

Chapter XVI: Developments in the US, Nuclear Proliferation and China’s Reawakening, 2014-2023.
And now to bring us to TTL's 2023:

Chapter XVI: Developments in the US, Nuclear Proliferation and China’s Reawakening, 2014-2023.

The Internet first arrived in the United States through the world of academia in 2014. The University of Oklahoma and the University of Tulsa were ranked as the best of the few remaining qualitatively respectable institutions of tertiary education and scientific research in the US. Thanks to the generosity of foreign universities both became the first nongovernmental institutions in the country that went online. Educational institutions, libraries and internet cafés in major cities were the places where Americans could access the Internet. Those living farther away from said cities and institutions just didn’t have that access.

As to American politics, things were changing after Democratic candidate Dick Gephardt was elected President in 2008 and re-elected in 2012. His Vice President and former Arkansas Senator Hillary Rodham Clinton became the first female US President after the 2016 elections (her Vice President was former Connecticut Senator Chriss Dodd). She defeated her opponent Georgia Governor Newt Gingrich (despite the defeat, it was the biggest Republican success so far). Securing America’s access to the internet was heralded as yet another great success in the country’s reconstruction under an uninterrupted string of Democratic Presidents since 1984.

The tone of the 2016 US Presidential elections was different, however, because a few things had changed over the past few years in the Republican Party. After the Democratic landslides from 1984 onward the Republicans had wallowed in self-pity. For years they had considered themselves the victims of Reagan’s provocative tone towards the Soviet Union, which had led to the war that the people blamed the Republicans and punished them for by one electoral hammer blow after the other. They made Reagan the scapegoat for their decline instead of developing some kind of consistent story criticizing the incumbent administrations. Their candidates for the Presidency prior to the 2016 US Presidential elections had therefore generally been paper candidates. That changed between 2012 and 2016.

The person who wrote a new consistent narrative for the Republican Party and revived it was New Gingrich, who had risen through the ranks. He’d run for Governor of his home state of Georgia after serving as a Congressman, winning the 2010 gubernatorial election and becoming the first Republican Governor of that state since 1872. He had a socially conservative agenda and favoured government deregulation and lowering taxes, i.e. a laissez faire economic policy. In early 2015, Gingrich announced that he would be seeking the nomination for the Republican Presidential candidacy.

The 2016 US Presidential election, an innovative one because the Internet played a significant role for the first time, was the first once since 1984 in which the Republicans put up a strong fight rather than just going through the motions. Gingrich entertained a range of conservative notions, such as opposition to abortion and the conviction that life begins at conception (he made exceptions to his abortion stance for rape, incest and in the case that the mother’s life was at risk). Needless to say, he saw family as the cornerstone of a society in which many other structures ranging from the police and the judiciary to federal institutions were corrupt shoe-string organizations. Given that he saw marriage as solely between a man and a woman, he advocated against the “normalization” of same sex relations and intended to forbid education on that topic. While that enflamed the LGBT community, the Bible Belt rallied in support to that. Much more effective nationwide was Gingrich’s announcement that upon his election he would seek to overturn the Clinton Act which had paved the way for the legalization of prostitution in the US. Given the constitutional ruling, he intended to install conservative justices in the SCOTUS upon the retirement of several of those appointed over the past decades. He denounced the judiciary as much too powerful in general. His position on crime, particularly the drug epidemic, was clear: drug smugglers and dealers should be given the death penalty in his opinion and “enhanced interrogation techniques” ought to permitted for some crimes.

As to the economy, he advocated deregulation and lower taxes to help create jobs while, as part of his deregulatory agenda, favoured a private health insurance plan over state run plans. Besides that, his plans for the economy would allow children to work at an earlier age next to their educations to empower them financially. He clarified his position by saying he did see education as the means for children to elevate themselves beyond the socioeconomic status of their parents. Besides more emphasis on mathematics and science instruction in schools, he also supported public school prayer and the right of schools to teach Creationism over Evolution. Closely related to his economic views was his scepticism of climate change and his position that coal, oil and natural gas should be used more to deal with the country’s electricity shortages. Politically, his main goal was to have the Electoral College curtailed and let the popular vote decide the winner of Presidential elections, as he considered that more democratic.

The 2016 US Presidential elections were the first since 1980 to actually be competitive, so competitive in fact that the televised debates and the campaigns in general bordered on mudslinging, threatening to polarize the country. Gingrich heckled Clinton for allegedly being atheist, an accusation she denied, and called her amoral for being the driving force behind a piece of legislation legalizing women selling their bodies and leading married men astray. Given America’s status as the world’s largest sex tourist destination, Gingrich said the Democrats had turned the US into “the world’s whore”. He further criticized dirigiste economic policies for holding the country’s recovery back and favoured the free market instead, emphasizing the individualist freedom of the American Dream. He was clear in his beliefs that government interference generally did more harm than good. With the war more than thirty years ago, it was time for the United States to return to “normalcy”. According to Gingrich this meant the federal government should give up its control of key industries and utilities. He argued that by now this control was “dictatorial”. To emphasize his conservative stance while also trying to appeal to female voters, Gingrich chose Congresswoman Michele Bachmann as his running mate.

Clinton rebutted that women ought to have the final say on what happened to their bodies, denouncing Gingrich for wanting to throw women’s rights back by fifty years. As to his stances on education, LGBT rights, “enhanced interrogation techniques” and his plans to reform the judiciary, Clinton denounced him for intending to infringe on the constitutional rights of minorities and on the independence of one of the three branches of government. Countering his accusations of atheism, Clinton in turn declared Gingrich would turn the country into a bigoted theocracy that practiced corporate welfare and placed outdated notions ahead of scientific facts. She furthermore said Gingrich as President would have little to no consideration for the rights of women and minorities and could possibly even criminalize what happened between consenting adults, forcing his reactionary interpretation of Christianity on people who didn’t share these beliefs. She concluded by stating that Gingrich’s free market plans would place the profit of rich individuals and multinationals ahead of the prosperity of working class Americans. That would amount to a plutocracy.

The electoral result of 2016 showed that the country was becoming more divided. This dividedness had a lot to do with the fact that – thanks to only facing token opposition for decades – the Democrats had become more and more leftist, passing increasingly liberal legislation with no consideration for more conservative opinions. Clinton won 50% of the popular vote, carried 23 states and had 275 electoral votes. Gingrich won 48.1% of the popular vote, carried 27 states and obtained 260 electoral votes.

Clinton became the next President, but she realized the electoral result was a conservative backlash that would force her to be more moderate in her liberalism if she was to be re-elected in 2020. The Republicans in turn realized they had to tone down their conservatism a bit to win, allowing them to pull moderately conservative forces away from the “big tent party” that the Democrats had turned into. Both sides didn’t want polarization that could lead to a civil war. The Democrats lost the 2018 midterm elections, with slight Republican majorities in both houses of Congress. In 2020, Pennsylvania Senator Rick Santorum campaigned as a light version of Gingrich and became the first Republican to win a Presidential election since 1980. As a result, Hillary Clinton became both the first female US President as well as the first Democrat since Carter not to win re-election.

In the meantime, decades of multilateral nuclear disarmament talks to prevent another nuclear holocaust from taking place had amounted to naught. No consensus could be reached, as evidenced by multiple countries walking out of the last of such conferences in 2014. All of the participants had their reasons to hang on to their existing nuclear arsenals or to develop nuclear weapons of their own. Pakistan had tested a nuclear weapon in 1999 and in the context of the Indian-Pakistani rivalry over Jammu and Kashmir India was a lot less interested in dismantling its stockpile of warheads. Like China, India adopted a no-first-use policy and Pakistan committed to the same. As to China, it remained committed to its own no-first-policy as well, but rejected disarmament thanks to the national trauma caused by the USSR attacking it unprovoked and leaving it only a few steps away from disintegration. Israel was certainly not going to give up its “Samson Option” as long as hostile Arab countries surrounded it, and definitely not when Iraq went nuclear.

And of course, the pre-1983 nuclear powers hung on to a handful of warheads. The US Navy had managed to keep three boomers in service with foreign help. Several of these submarines remained docked with their nuclear reactors hooked up to whatever remained of the electrical grid. They, along with surviving nuclear power plants, contributed to the desperate demand for electricity.

Iraq detonated a 20 kiloton device in 2015 in a surface test, becoming the second post-war country to join the nuclear club and the sixth overall nuclear weapons state after China, India, Israel, Pakistan and South Africa. Decades later it became clear Saddam Hussein and his ilk had no issues about using them as a last resort, taking down the entire country with them rather than give up power. An entire hardened subterranean palace had been built underneath hundreds of metres below Baghdad with twenty years’ worth of food supplies, a nuclear reactor that would last for the same amount of time and aggregates that could be fuelled by hundreds of barrels of diesel. This bunker included saunas, whirlpool baths, a swimming pool, a lounge, a bar, a discotheque and a library, and stocks of excellent South African and Chilean wines as well as Australian whiskeys. If it was ever activated, it would house a staff of hundreds of bodyguards, lackeys, cooks, masseuses, prostitutes and so on to cater to the wishes of Saddam Hussein and his inner circle.

As the only great powers without nuclear weapons, Brazil, Japan and Australia felt themselves compelled to launch their own nuclear weapons programs due to the lack of progress of disarmament negotiations. Australia joined forces with New Zealand to develop the bomb, and nuclear weapons could only be released if both authorized that. Of course Brazil, Japan, Australia and New Zealand said they would dismantle if everybody else did too and adopted no-first-use policies as several other countries had already done before them. Nonetheless the fear remained that nuclear weapons might one day be used again, and the fact that countries continued to threaten each other and even wage war fuelled that fear.

It was clear by 2019 that the Middle East was an obvious candidate for a regional nuclear war if things went south. Israel had anywhere between 75 and 400 nuclear warheads while Saddam had an estimated stockpile of about 50-60 warheads and missiles with a range of 2000 km to deliver them with. After annexing Kuwait and part of Saudi Arabia and thereby securing the bulk of the world’s oil supply in the 80s, Iraq had become a major player that had to be respected despite the distaste for the abuses of the Baath regime. Iraq’s Arab neighbours – Syria, Syrian-occupied Lebanon, Jordan, rump Saudi Arabia and the Gulf states – became satellite states to a greater or lesser degree. Baghdad also had good relations with Egypt and the Maghreb powers, exerting influence over them. Fortunately, Iraq limited itself to arming Palestinian insurgents.

Far more important was the outcome of the power struggle between Saddam’s two sons as it slowly became clear from 2017 onward the old man was becoming increasingly senile, perhaps no surprise given that Saddam was 80 years old at the time (he finally passed away in 2020). Qusay headed the Special Security Organization. It was the most powerful Iraqi security agency, responsible for the security of high-ranking officials, authorized to carry out abduction, murder and intimidation, and an umbrella organization for internal and external intelligence. Because Saddam had only ever allowed the volatile and psychopathic Uday to be in charge of the insignificant Iraqi Olympic Committee, the power struggle was brief and there was never any threat of a civil war that could result in the release of nuclear weapons. The Republican Guard and the army sided with Qusay Hussein, who exiled his brother to the post of Ambassador to Libya. Gaddafi provided Uday with all the women he could ever need, but couldn’t do much about him getting drunk or high on cocaine and scandalizing Tripoli with car accidents.

Qusay recalled Uday back to Iraq and confined him to house arrest in one of the palaces their father had built in Baghdad. Uday complained about a “gilded cage” despite the fact that his brother paid for expensive call girls to “service” him one time daily while he also enjoyed good wines, whiskeys, cognacs and steak dinners whilst enjoying access to whirl pools, massages, gym equipment, a personal trainer and a private zoo. He whined about being a “political prisoner” but couldn’t be farther removed from being one. Uday was unfit to win the political game: he was much too erratic, while his brother was just as icily cool as Saddam himself and strategized to take power.

Far more concerning was China as it slowly rose from its own ashes like a phoenix, aspiring to becoming a rival to India again one day. China had been heavy hit by the Soviets, who had wanted to prevent China from stepping into the power vacuum caused by the USSR’s demise. Were it not for its heavy militarization under the “military first” policy, the country might well have broken apart again in another warlord era. China’s solution had led to the Communist Party of China and the People’s Liberation Army becoming increasingly intertwined, to the point that not the CPC General Secretary but the Chairman of the Central Military Commission was the de facto leading position in the regime. Almost a quarter of the entire economy was geared towards the needs of the armed forces, which held back economic growth and slowed the country’s recovering down. While India had seen double digit growth rates in the 90s, China had initially seen stagnation and later 2-5% growth rates later in the 90s (though the cause in this difference was obviously that India had never been nuked).

After a long time in isolation and looking inward, China felt powerful enough militarily to take on a larger role in Asian affairs. This resulted in the 2014 Sino-Yakutia Treaty of Friendship, signed between the People’s Republic of China and the Republic of Yakutia. Yakutia was a breakaway state of the former USSR, controlling most territory east of the Yenisey River while most of the RSFSR’s territory to the west of that was part of the Tsardom of Russia. The CPSU and KGB had withered away quickly in the years after the war, with the country breaking up in post-Soviet fiefdoms (Zhirinovsky chose an ultranationalist rather than a communist discourse, ultimately proclaiming himself Tsar). Earlier China had granted it diplomatic recognition in 2009, fifteen years after it had formally declared its independence. The Treaty of Friendship had provisions in it that essentially opened up the Republic of Yakutia to Chinese colonization to exploit Siberia’s vast mineral wealth which included deposits of nickel, gold, lead, coal, molybdenum, palladium, diamonds, silver and zinc as well as massive unexploited reserves of oil and natural gas. It’s telling that of the country’s population of 6 million people 10% was Chinese, making them the second largest ethnic group in Yakutia after ethnic Russians. Similar arrangements were made with the Central Asian Republics that had seceded from the USSR, forming the Confederation of Turkestan. China also reached out to Georgia, Armenia, Azerbaijan, Chechnya and Dagestan which had all declared their independence (China in fact helped mediate in the looming conflict over Nagorno-Karabakh).

A de facto Chinese Empire emerged that dominated Northern and Central Asia. China, Yakutia and Turkestan formed the Nanjing Cooperation Organization, which harkened back to imperial times and which was to rival ASEAN. China was the leading state and the other two were de facto tributary states, paying tribute to the Chinese in the shape of mineral wealth in return for protection. Besides that, China and Pakistan came to a mutual defence pact and thereby made it clear China was challenging India’s dominance in Asia. As of 2023, India’s economy remains much larger than China’s and ASEAN in GDP terms is much larger than the NCO. In fact, China is only the world’s third economy behind India and Brazil. Moreover, India formally decided to end its neutrality by joining the Pan-Pacific Defence Pact. China, however, was thinking long term and intended to surpass India no later than 2060. Time will tell if they succeed in that and if the Sino-Indian rivalry will become a new Cold War.

Last edited:
Great stuff as always. I do wonder what happened to the so-called Gang of Eight after the war? Any thoughts as they were bunkered up for quite a while?

Great stuff as always. I do wonder what happened to the so-called Gang of Eight after the war? Any thoughts as they were bunkered up for quite a while?
Presumably executed by Zhirinovsky and his clique. And speaking of Zhirinovsky, what succession plan does he have as even without COVID-19, he’s still very old and all that.

Probably killed soon afther the exchange. Either by Zhrinovsky himself, Red Army with support of remaining Politbyroo and Presidium or by enraged Soviet citizens.

Presumably executed by Zhirinovsky and his clique. And speaking of Zhirinovsky, what succession plan does he have as even without COVID-19, he’s still very old and all that.

Zhirinovsky has children so nor worry over succession.

Interesting chapter.

So Hillary Clinton wins 2016, but under very different circumstances. OTL would see it as ironic.

Iraq under Uday would have been worse. This guy is the definition of evil. I'm glad Qusay, evil too as he is, has his nasty brother locked up Pablo Escobar style. As for Pablo or El Chapo, what would happen to them? I'm sure they will still be alive ITTL 2023.

Honestly I expected Qusay to just execute his madman of a brother after recalling him from the ambassador post.
I'm amazed Uday was given the post. Knowing this monster is known to crash official functions of the embassies of other countries and pickup women there. Even Saddam was appalled by his son's behavior. An evil dictator as Saddam was, at least he has standards.