I wonder how strong the France of this TL would be if it didn't have any problems with low birth rates... the British would certainly be scared to death, since France has a much greater capacity to project power across the globe than the German Empire OTL.
France's birth rate is a bit higher TTL than OTL, though that's a low bar to clear, admittedly.

But, yes, France would be an even bigger problem then, especially with Bonapartes in charge. It may even bring Britain into a continental alliance.
Reading a very interesting book called "Generations" by Jean Twenge in anticipation of a workshop I'm running later this spring. It is a large book but chock-full of cool charts, graphs, and data - I'm enjoying it a lot so far.

I'm curious how generations are defined and labelled in the 20th Century USA ITTL. You'd have the Greatest Generation from circa 1880 to 1895 (the people who actually fought in trenches and worked in factories during the GAW), a generation correlating to our Silents/Traditionalists from circa 1896 to 1916 (the people alive during the war who were too young to fight/work) and a Boomer analogue from 1917 to roughly 1934 or so. I think there was a mention in an update to a post-war baby boom anyway so that last part does check out.
This all lines up sort of with my thinking (or at least what I've thought through haha); a "Greatest/Lost Generation" in that 1879-97 bracket, then you've got the "Forgottens" 1898-16 (a play on Silent), and then the Baby Boomers from 1917-34ish. For simplicity I'd probably just call them Boomers with "Postwar" probably being used, too.

So yes, spot on.
Obviously, everything after the mid 1930s is completely scrambled from OTL. It feels like technology is more or less the same level ITTL as opposed to OTL so you'd presumably have some sort of dot com boom in the late 1990s and the handheld revolution in the 00s/10s, which means our Xers, Millenials, and Zers could be mapped out ITTL if you want to go that way.
Tech both is and isn't the same; my thinking was that certain innovations in physics and medicine (thanks to Germany not getting gacked twice) are probably ahead of OTL, while without the pivot to mass cheap consumer electronics through Asia you probably have a few years delay in certain mobile products (iPhone/Droid type smartphones launching in 2011-12 rather than 2007-09).

One thought I'd had was large generations coming in waves thanks to the Boomers (in part due to birth rates staying higher longer, and falling more gradually). So there'd be a smaller 1935-49 cohort, then a big 1949-67 cohort, a smaller 1968-83ish cohort, then a big 1983-99 millennial equivalent, and a smaller 2000-onwards Gen Z analogue
But there's no chance of the vast social upheaval in our 1960s and early 1970s in this USA - a civil rights movement for Blacks won't really be a thing here for reasons we've discussed. Not sure about this timeline's second-wave feminism and gay rights movements either. I thought I saw somewhere our author wanted this timeline's 1960s to be reactionary as opposed to progressive like ours, but I could be dead wrong and I don't have time to look through the archives anyway this morning.

Anyway, just some random thoughts. Looking forward to seeing how it all unfolds!
That's correct - the "right-wing backlash decade of the 1960s" will be more of a European phenomenon than a USA one, but it has echoes across the Atlantic nonetheless. Moreso just that the 1960s hold a connotation in our cultural firmament not unlike the 50s or 80s do OTL.

As for our more radical upheaval decade... well, the EU thread's notes on "campus activism" in 1983-84 was our hint haha. The idea of TTL 1984 as OTL 1968, culturally, was just a bit too juicy not to use, considering how very much not like that it was here on Earth 1.

That's correct - the "right-wing backlash decade of the 1960s" will be more of a European phenomenon than a USA one, but it has echoes across the Atlantic nonetheless. Moreso just that the 1960s hold a connotation in our cultural firmament not unlike the 50s or 80s do OTL.
Revolutions of 1956 confirmed?

I'm getting the feeling that the progressive revolution in the US over the 1920s (into the 1930s) will make the US by 1932 seem almost as Radical in some parts of Europe as the Chileans! I'm wondering which nations in 1930 will have full women's right to vote? I don't expect that there will be *anything* approaching Jim Crow laws, though there may be some cities (states?) that try to slow down the political gains of the large influx of Negros during and post-war. (Cincinnati, Indianapolis, Baltimore)

I know you've said Pelosi's family will remain in power in Maryland for some time, but some parts of Maryland/Baltimore politics may end up *far* more unrecognizable than in other areas.

BTW, any decision on whether DC gets given back to Maryland in some way post-war? (With the option of the political boundaries of DC being pre-war (same as OTL current borders), pre-retrocession (restore the diamond) or something else. Given the destruction during the war, keeping any Confederate city boundaries for Alexandria probably isn't an issue.

The city of Alexandria and the county of Alexandria/Arlington (name changed in 1906 iOtL, I think) aren't mentioned in the entry on the treaty of Mount Vernon, but no way they aren't part of it. (especially after the author's praise of the election maps). (With all of the deaths in the area, *ALL* of OtL Arlington County could end up as a cemetary.)

And even with the additions of land to Maryland, my honest guess is that Maryland will have fewer people in 1920 than in 1910.

The main thing I miss from otl in this timeline is that the dmv area won’t exist but I imagine the northern Virginia counties ( now Maryland) to be very low population except maybe Alexandria which would still be heavily damaged it would still be the main city on that side of the Potomac though I imagine

Revolutions of 1956 confirmed?
Nothing is ever confirmed!
I'm getting the feeling that the progressive revolution in the US over the 1920s (into the 1930s) will make the US by 1932 seem almost as Radical in some parts of Europe as the Chileans! I'm wondering which nations in 1930 will have full women's right to vote? I don't expect that there will be *anything* approaching Jim Crow laws, though there may be some cities (states?) that try to slow down the political gains of the large influx of Negros during and post-war. (Cincinnati, Indianapolis, Baltimore)
Many Western states have laws targeting Asians that fall short of Jim Crow but are still pretty terrible.

And those identified cities will probably not be great places to be Black, no.
I know you've said Pelosi's family will remain in power in Maryland for some time, but some parts of Maryland/Baltimore politics may end up *far* more unrecognizable than in other areas.
Maryland may have some very Illinoisian politics with the unipolar city and its immediate environs dominating everything utterly. You definitely wouldn't have the Baltimore v. DC Burbs dynamic of OTL, that's for sure.
BTW, any decision on whether DC gets given back to Maryland in some way post-war? (With the option of the political boundaries of DC being pre-war (same as OTL current borders), pre-retrocession (restore the diamond) or something else. Given the destruction during the war, keeping any Confederate city boundaries for Alexandria probably isn't an issue.

The city of Alexandria and the county of Alexandria/Arlington (name changed in 1906 iOtL, I think) aren't mentioned in the entry on the treaty of Mount Vernon, but no way they aren't part of it. (especially after the author's praise of the election maps). (With all of the deaths in the area, *ALL* of OtL Arlington County could end up as a cemetary.)

And even with the additions of land to Maryland, my honest guess is that Maryland will have fewer people in 1920 than in 1910.
I was pretty sure DC was already handed back, but I may have been wrong. I figure just having it get chopped up between PG and Montgomery and then cede Alexandria/Arlington to Fairfax. Makes it simple.
The main thing I miss from otl in this timeline is that the dmv area won’t exist but I imagine the northern Virginia counties ( now Maryland) to be very low population except maybe Alexandria which would still be heavily damaged it would still be the main city on that side of the Potomac though I imagine
You'll have some DMV-y vibes in Philly, though.

But, yes, the whole stretch from where BWI is today to the Confederate border would be unrecognizable to OTL. Alexandria would be the main Potomac port, for what that's worth (Georgetown probably recovers a fair bit too on the edge of the National War Monument) but south of that things would get rural real fast, especially into Prince William. Quantico maybe has a military base still, though, due to "proximity" - not to the capital, but to the border!
I expect Germany in the Cincoverse to be leading in Nuclear Science. For instance
Germany and Hungary not having mid-20th century issues like OTL keeps especially in the latter all those brilliant physicists around, so yes. Though Germany would probably retain some pretty powerful coaling lobbies thanks to the Ruhr and not losing Silesia, so they may be a bit slower on the uptake than somewhere like Hungary which even OTL has a robust atomic infrastructure.

I'd say most of continental Central and Western Europe has OTL France-levels of nuclear reactors (65-70% of installed electric generation capacity) and places like Hungary maybe slightly more (80-85%) , which is a huge shift, that's for sure.

Maximilian of Mexico
"...Maximilian and Carlota attended private Christmas services in the Chapultepec's imperial chapel rather than the cathedral down upon the Zocalo below, and at a grand family dinner on Christmas Day, he was noted by many - Margarita Clementina, her two elder sons, a number of palace guards - to have been more chipper than they had seen him in quite some time. Grandchildren sat in his lap, and he regaled everyone with stories of the poorer, more agrarian Mexico he and Carlota had found, and then the story of their voyage to the New World, and the half-finished construction of their palace Miramare on the Adriatic, which he had never been able to enjoy. It was a sweet moment but one even Louis Maximilian found strange, for he had never heard his father speak with such yearning for Europe or to "swim below Miramare" so much before.

Maximilian and Carlota went to bed, separately, on the night of December 27th. One of the Emperor's nurses came in to check on him shortly before midnight and found him peacefully sleeping, with a smile on his face. When another attendant came early in the morning, Maximilian of Mexico had expired, still smiling, hands clasped over his chest, his eyes closed and his chin resting gently on his chest, propped up by the pillow. The nurse made the sign of the cross and out of superstition placed her crucifix in his hands, and then called for help: the Emperor was dead, long live the Emperor.

News of Maximilian's passing, aged eighty-six, quickly spread not just throughout the Chapultepec and the other palaces of the royal family, but through Mexico. Church bells rang, and people wept openly in the streets. Vigils erupted across the country, with paintings of the Emperor that looked almost like religious icons a common sight at them. Women wore black well into 1919; churches swelled with attendees praying for the late Emperor's soul, and units of soldiers proactively began riding with a horse that was saddled with two empty boots in the stirrups. Unlike the Imperial family, which had seen his physical decline even as he remained mostly mentally astute, most Mexicans knew Maximilian only as a symbol - a symbol of national strength, of national virility, and of peace and prosperity.

The grieving for Maximilian was thus not just the loss of a man, but the loss of something more than a man - the Padre de Patria, the father of the country. Maximilian had taken a country beset by civil war and a rotating cast of alternating reformist and reactionary Presidents at one another's throats and modernized it, healed it, made it a co-equal of other powers on the continent. He had ended one conflict and survived another, and Mexico had escaped the Great American War with more dignity than any co-belligerent. In the meantime, the Mexico he left behind was not the Mexico of poverty but rather an increasingly modern one, with bustling cities, factories, railroads, and increasingly aircraft to travel across its vastness. The people of Mexico shuddered to think what their country would be like had he not come along, or if it would even be intact in its current borders what with such rapacious neighbors as those they had.

The funeral would be arranged for late January, but for much of Mexico, all of 1919 was one long funeral, an uncertain hour for what awaited their country, a grim gaze towards the horizon and a future that, after an Emperor who had been on the throne for fifty-six years, so long no Mexican really remembered a Mexico without him, would be strange and unfamiliar to every citizen, in a time and world that through new technologies and ideas was already unrecognizable almost by the year. Mexico's great bridge to the 19th century was at last gone; what loomed beyond, for Mexico at least, remained now in the hands of his son and grandsons.

Maximilian, after all, had done his duty to Mexico and to his family - and with that, with his familiar smile, he had earned his long-awaited and well-deserved rest."

- Maximilian of Mexico

End of Part XI: From These Ashes, Nothing Grows

And so with that Max is gone. I had originally planned to keep him around until 1922 (one of my "off-ramps" for the TL) when he was 90 and had been on the throne 60 years, but in case this thing slips into another thread again, I wanted to make sure we were able to say goodbye in the Sequel thread. Also, him staying alive no longer served much narrative purpose, and his death proved a better conclusion to Part XI.

That takes away one of the main characters of the timeline, of course, which is weird to think about, even if he had become more than a bit secondary by this point in the narrative. I'll miss Max, and hopefully my take on him did the man, and the potential of the Second Mexican Empire, some justice.

"...Maximilian and Carlota attended private Christmas services in the Chapultepec's imperial chapel rather than the cathedral down upon the Zocalo below, and at a grand family dinner on Christmas Day, he was noted by many - Margarita Clementina, her two elder sons, a number of palace guards - to have been more chipper than they had seen him in quite some time. Grandchildren sat in his lap, and he regaled everyone with stories of the poorer, more agrarian Mexico he and Carlota had found, and then the story of their voyage to the New World, and the half-finished construction of their palace Miramare on the Adriatic, which he had never been able to enjoy. It was a sweet moment but one even Louis Maximilian found strange, for he had never heard his father speak with such yearning for Europe or to "swim below Miramare" so much before.

Maximilian and Carlota went to bed, separately, on the night of December 27th. One of the Emperor's nurses came in to check on him shortly before midnight and found him peacefully sleeping, with a smile on his face. When another attendant came early in the morning, Maximilian of Mexico had expired, still smiling, hands clasped over his chest, his eyes closed and his chin resting gently on his chest, propped up by the pillow. The nurse made the sign of the cross and out of superstition placed her crucifix in his hands, and then called for help: the Emperor was dead, long live the Emperor.

News of Maximilian's passing, aged eighty-six, quickly spread not just throughout the Chapultepec and the other palaces of the royal family, but through Mexico. Church bells rang, and people wept openly in the streets. Vigils erupted across the country, with paintings of the Emperor that looked almost like religious icons a common sight at them. Women wore black well into 1919; churches swelled with attendees praying for the late Emperor's soul, and units of soldiers proactively began riding with a horse that was saddled with two empty boots in the stirrups. Unlike the Imperial family, which had seen his physical decline even as he remained mostly mentally astute, most Mexicans knew Maximilian only as a symbol - a symbol of national strength, of national virility, and of peace and prosperity.

The grieving for Maximilian was thus not just the loss of a man, but the loss of something more than a man - the Padre de Patria, the father of the country. Maximilian had taken a country beset by civil war and a rotating cast of alternating reformist and reactionary Presidents at one another's throats and modernized it, healed it, made it a co-equal of other powers on the continent. He had ended one conflict and survived another, and Mexico had escaped the Great American War with more dignity than any co-belligerent. In the meantime, the Mexico he left behind was not the Mexico of poverty but rather an increasingly modern one, with bustling cities, factories, railroads, and increasingly aircraft to travel across its vastness. The people of Mexico shuddered to think what their country would be like had he not come along, or if it would even be intact in its current borders what with such rapacious neighbors as those they had.

The funeral would be arranged for late January, but for much of Mexico, all of 1919 was one long funeral, an uncertain hour for what awaited their country, a grim gaze towards the horizon and a future that, after an Emperor who had been on the throne for fifty-six years, so long no Mexican really remembered a Mexico without him, would be strange and unfamiliar to every citizen, in a time and world that through new technologies and ideas was already unrecognizable almost by the year. Mexico's great bridge to the 19th century was at last gone; what loomed beyond, for Mexico at least, remained now in the hands of his son and grandsons.

Maximilian, after all, had done his duty to Mexico and to his family - and with that, with his familiar smile, he had earned his long-awaited and well-deserved rest."

- Maximilian of Mexico

End of Part XI: From These Ashes, Nothing Grows
End of an era. Brought a small tear to my eye. “Descanse en paz, su majestad.”

And so with that Max is gone. I had originally planned to keep him around until 1922 (one of my "off-ramps" for the TL) when he was 90 and had been on the throne 60 years, but in case this thing slips into another thread again, I wanted to make sure we were able to say goodbye in the Sequel thread. Also, him staying alive no longer served much narrative purpose, and his death proved a better conclusion to Part XI.

That takes away one of the main characters of the timeline, of course, which is weird to think about, even if he had become more than a bit secondary by this point in the narrative. I'll miss Max, and hopefully my take on him did the man, and the potential of the Second Mexican Empire, some justice.
@KingSweden24 You ABSOLUTELY did! The Padre de Patria was amazing to see his journey! May he rest in peace! Please make his wikibox the next installment!

Was Max a perfect Emperor? Of course not. Was he the Emperor Mexico needed in 1862 and well beyond? Yeah, I think he was.

Goodbye to both Max and to Maximilian of Mexico, this TL's longest running cited book. That thing must be a thousand pages hahaha.

Maryland may have some very Illinoisian politics with the unipolar city and its immediate environs dominating everything utterly. You definitely wouldn't have the Baltimore v. DC Burbs dynamic of OTL, that's for sure.
That dynamic seems overblown?

MD politics has always looked a lot like IL IMO, in that it’s usually run by a single party machine.

MA is the only other decent-sized state that comes close to that degree of domination by one set of geographic interests.

Even Pennsylvania isn’t in the same league; Philly metro is a third of PA’s electorate vs half for Baltimore, Chicago, or Boston in their states.

That dynamic seems overblown?

MD politics has always looked a lot like IL IMO, in that it’s usually run by a single party machine.

MA is the only other decent-sized state that comes close to that degree of domination by one set of geographic interests.

Even Pennsylvania isn’t in the same league; Philly metro is a third of PA’s electorate vs half for Baltimore, Chicago, or Boston in their states.
Yeah, but that machine had some limitations. iOTL, the 1864 and 1867 constitutions had a State Senate with one member for each of the 24 counties and (at least by 1950) , three members for the city of Baltimore. In was only after the one man-one vote decisions of the 1960s that the Senate became equal by population. Of course by that point, the DC suburbs were on the rise in population, so I don't know if any time after the Civil War that Baltimore ever controlled things the way that Chicago can.

That does not mean that you can't have *wierd* things, in the 1994 Gubernatorial Election, the Democrat won the election 50.2 % to 49.8% and only won the City of Baltimore, Mongomery County and PG County (which border DC on the North and East respectively) and lost the other twenty one counties. https://elections.maryland.gov/elections/1994/results_1994/gagov.html
I *think* the largest Maryland city to escape significant damage in the GAW would have been either Cumberland (out west), Saint Mary's (would have surrendered and not been on the path of fighting) or Salisbury (the Eastern Shore was a dead end from a Military Standpoint).

Yeah, but that machine had some limitations. iOTL, the 1864 and 1867 constitutions had a State Senate with one member for each of the 24 counties and (at least by 1950) , three members for the city of Baltimore. In was only after the one man-one vote decisions of the 1960s that the Senate became equal by population. Of course by that point, the DC suburbs were on the rise in population, so I don't know if any time after the Civil War that Baltimore ever controlled things the way that Chicago can.

That does not mean that you can't have *wierd* things, in the 1994 Gubernatorial Election, the Democrat won the election 50.2 % to 49.8% and only won the City of Baltimore, Mongomery County and PG County (which border DC on the North and East respectively) and lost the other twenty one counties. https://elections.maryland.gov/elections/1994/results_1994/gagov.html
I *think* the largest Maryland city to escape significant damage in the GAW would have been either Cumberland (out west), Saint Mary's (would have surrendered and not been on the path of fighting) or Salisbury (the Eastern Shore was a dead end from a Military Standpoint).
Sure, but a result like that *can* occur in MD or IL and basically cannot in PA.

Anyway, I’m not sure you can call any of those three cities with a straight face.