Second Verse Same As The First: Another Civil War Over African Americans

I’ve been reading David Blight’s biography of Frederick Douglass recently. Many quotes from Douglass seem to attribute the backsliding of civil rights from early Reconciliation to the 1880s being due (in his opinion) to “white conciliation”. Basically a lack of northern will to enforce federal civil rights on the ”redeemed” state governments of the south.

What with the blatant repression of the Republican Party of the south in the 1880s, it made me wonder if a different path could’ve very well led to a second civil war. Clearly, the lessons of the first one did not stick.

I know Turtledove had a civil war around this time in his series, but in that one the Confederates won. I am curious about a TL where the Union still wins, and yet still has to contend with another rebellion by the 1880s. Specifically, one that revolves around much of the same issues of how African American in the south should be treated.

My question kind of boils down to, is such a scenario possible? If so, what are some crucial changes that would need to be made? I’m assuming a POD surrounding the initial ACW, im just not sure which one specifically would be the best here.

I’ve been reading David Blight’s biography of Frederick Douglass recently. Many quotes from Douglass seem to attribute the backsliding of civil rights from early Reconciliation to the 1880s being due (in his opinion) to “white conciliation”. Basically a lack of northern will to enforce federal civil rights on the ”redeemed” state governments of the south.

What with the blatant repression of the Republican Party of the south in the 1880s, it made me wonder if a different path could’ve very well led to a second civil war. Clearly, the lessons of the first one did not stick.

I know Turtledove had a civil war around this time in his series, but in that one the Confederates won. I am curious about a TL where the Union still wins, and yet still has to contend with another rebellion by the 1880s. Specifically, one that revolves around much of the same issues of how African American in the south should be treated.

My question kind of boils down to, is such a scenario possible? If so, what are some crucial changes that would need to be made? I’m assuming a POD surrounding the initial ACW, im just not sure which one specifically would be the best here.
The Republicans probably wouldn't want to lose votes as doing this would anger the Southerners who would vote for another party and the North wouldn't like it either as this would spark fear of a Second Civil War which absolutely no one desires.

How could the southern-led/southern-heavy Democratic forces get powerful enough to threaten interests northern Republicans *really* cared about: - not black civil rights, but:
a) electoral dominance nationwide
b) tariffs industry feels it needs
c) railroad grants and rights of way industry feels it needs
d) homestead act and funding of the Army to support populating of the western frontier, its protection and development of the market
e) mineral exploitation concessions in the west
f) State militia, National Guard, and Federal troops support for property rights of industrial facility owners against on-site picketers and sit-down strikers
...while still leaving northern Republicans confident they have the political, public, and armed support to win a civil war struggle decided by a clash of arms?