Second son of Philip II and Olympias

WI Olympias had one more child, (year or two after Alexander), a son (Amyntas)? *Amyntas* is moderately competent and loyal to Alexander. I guess Alexander would take Amyntas with him to his campaign (like he did with Arrhidaeus) just in case-to avoid any risk of rebellion at home.

So with adult and menthally healthy (menthally healthy Arrhidaeus means dead Arrhidaeus, thus why I needed another son of Olympias) brother around, succession after Alexander should be way smoother than IOTL (still, Amyntas is propably going to get rid off nephew to avoid future troubles). Could he consolidate brother's empire if he is not so fond of conquest as Alexander was*?

* That is why I've choosen this scenario over longer living Alexander.

Younger brother would ensure smoother succession. Probably there would be lot of post-Alexander revolts but things would go betterly at end even if Persians and Egyptians manage to secede.

I guess Amyntas, like many other prominent Macedonians, is going to marry Persian woman and is already married at the time of Alexander's death?

Another idea (inspired by excellent TL by @Sarthak ) what if Amyntas developed interest in Buddhism during campaign in India? Possibly the best way to wank Greco-Buddhism.

IIRC acclamation was still vital to legitimate succession in the Macedonian monarchy; if the Macedonian army and Alexander's companions prefer a living younger brother to an unborn or infant son (which they are most likely to do) he'll become king. How well he can hold everything together depends on how competent he is, but having a real successor right there when Alexander dies makes it at least a lot more likely.

If Amyntas is married to Stateira's sister or cousin, would he side with her against Roxane in the immediate aftermath of Alexander's death?

Much probably turns on how well he gets along with the generals.

If Amyntas is married to Stateira's sister or cousin, would he side with her against Roxane in the immediate aftermath of Alexander's death?

Much probably turns on how well he gets along with the generals.
Guaranteed. Here Roxane and her unborn child would not be relevant.
Well, whoever he's married to, he'll be marrying Stateira as well ASAP. Although adding a Macedonian wife to the mix (as seems probable) might complicate things.
He has no reason fior marrying Stateira if he has already a Persian princess as wife. A marriage to Drypetis, Parysatis or also Amestris would be enough for consolidate his claim to the rulership of Asia, considering who he is already Alexander’s own brother. If he need to marry anyone for consolidating his power that is Adea and he would have already enough troubles in keeping the balance between her and his current Persian wife without any need to adding more troubles with marrying also Alexander‘s young Queen

Last edited: