A/N: This is a part of the Greco-Buddhism Profiles as I worldbuild this new timeline. Of course, this a parallel of the original Journey to the West from our timeline and whilst you can obviously see the similarities, I wonder how many of you can see the differences as well as the integration of Celtic Mythology in its entirety?
IT'S BACK! :D :D :D

thoughts and comments? wonder if anyone found the hints sprinkled in.
Guinevere as a kitsune version of Sun Wukong is one thing I saw. I'll give more once I read it more thoroughly. :p

Ah, and there's Saint Brendan transposed into a Buddhist setting, lol~

Last edited:
Guinevere as a kitsune version of Sun Wukong is one thing I saw. I'll give more once I read it more thoroughly. :p

Ah, and there's Saint Brendan transposed into a Buddhist setting, lol~
Well not so much as a Kitsune. That is thoroughly a Sino-Japanese concept. But as Queen of Tricksters yes. Brendan is the Tripitaka equivalent yes

Sorry for the long wait! Thoughts?
Love that it's basically journey to the west but fox, which still feels eastern bc kitsune/fox tricksters are an Asia wide phenomenon, but it fits with Celtic myth so it's an interesting thing to see.

I do think that she's a bit too similar to Sun Wukong at times tho, for example when she gets trapped in the cauldron, which I think could've been different.

Dagda being the er Lang shen + jade emperor equivalent makes sense tho.

Love that it's basically journey to the west but fox, which still feels eastern bc kitsune/fox tricksters are an Asia wide phenomenon, but it fits with Celtic myth so it's an interesting thing to see.

I do think that she's a bit too similar to Sun Wukong at times tho, for example when she gets trapped in the cauldron, which I think could've been different.

Dagda being the er Lang shen + jade emperor equivalent makes sense tho.
Originally I would agree, but Dagda's Cauldron is a part of Celtic Mythology and so it is utilized in this parallel. Er Lang Shen is more like Morrigan in this retelling.

Originally I would agree, but Dagda's Cauldron is a part of Celtic Mythology and so it is utilized in this parallel. Er Lang Shen is more like Morrigan in this retelling.
Thing is the jade emperor pretty much didn't fight tho, which is the thing I'm thinking about when I wrote it.

It's back!

So here the paralelism

Dagda = the Jade emperor/ laozi
Morrigan = Dragon Kings/Erlang
Arawn = ten Kings yama
Carodac = sabhuti
The tuatha de dannan = the heavenly bureaucracy
The otherworld = heaven
Anwn = the underworld

It's back!

So here the paralelism

Dagda = the Jade emperor/ laozi
Morrigan = Dragon Kings/Erlang
Arawn = ten Kings yama
Carodac = sabhuti
The tuatha de dannan = the heavenly bureaucracy
The otherworld = heaven
Anwn = the underworld
Yup! Though I added more to the trickster aspect by putting the extra story of Hafgan in.

That was amazing!

I had a thought while reading this: given the impact of the introduction of Buddhism to Europe, there will be a strong argument that Alexander the Great was the single most impactful person in history.

That was amazing!

I had a thought while reading this: given the impact of the introduction of Buddhism to Europe, there will be a strong argument that Alexander the Great was the single most impactful person in history.
An argument could be made for Calanis as well who agreed to come in the first place. Or Antira who converted her husband Leonnatus.

I guess idea of Indo-European kinship would come much earlier ITTL? Similarity between Indian and European languages (especially ancient ones, like Sanskrit and Ancient Greek) was noted by 16/17th century European travellers, but with more intense contacts between Europe and India and with Indian religious texts much better known by Europeans (and with Europeans not tracing their origin to the sons of Noah, thus not nonsensically insisting on their languages being derived from Hebrew) such similarities should be discovered much, much earlier?

I guess idea of Indo-European kinship would come much earlier ITTL? Similarity between Indian and European languages (especially ancient ones, like Sanskrit and Ancient Greek) was noted by 16/17th century European travellers, but with more intense contacts between Europe and India and with Indian religious texts much better known by Europeans (and with Europeans not tracing their origin to the sons of Noah, thus not nonsensically insisting on their languages being derived from Hebrew) such similarities should be discovered much, much earlier?
I now imagine somone tryng to recreate the "Original religion" taking all the indieueopean faiths and tryng to found the paralelism between all the gods it would be like the syncretism at it's maximun