Sailing From Londinium

Status
Not open for further replies.
Indeed I am, the Frankish confederation did reach that area, but some of the tribes where way more North, some of them even in the modern day Netherlands. Did you by any chance get the location of the Franks from Rome Total War? In there the Franks are also put on the same spot as in your map.

I got the location fro the Franks from the base map below

300 Ad.png

A timeline where the true Western Empire (Gaul, Brittania, and Hispania) survives! the only other ATL I know of that is the same is the TL in Steve White's Debt of Ages. King Arthur conquers the remnants of the Western Empire, then reunites East and West, but they have to split the two under his successor.

It was a great idea to just have a truly western roman empire. If you just have the western roman empire it can directly deal with the barbarians in the north and east of it's territory. While the middle empire and the eastern empire have to deal with multiple attacks from germany, africa and for the eastern empire the east and south east. I am just wondering though would the western roman empire take over all of germania and the british isles at some point or not?

I am just wondering though would the western roman empire take over all of germania and the british isles at some point or not?

The British Isles, yes. Germania, unlikely; if Germania is conquered, expect it to be a Justinian type thing with newly conquered territory falling away and the Empire near bankruptcy.

The British Isles, yes. Germania, unlikely; if Germania is conquered, expect it to be a Justinian type thing with newly conquered territory falling away and the Empire near bankruptcy.

I mean Germania is slowly annexxed not like a fast annexation but maybe having some great generals who well take some sizeable territories of Germania consolidating then conquor consolidate and conqour etc...
But yah that is what I mean.

A timeline where the true Western Empire (Gaul, Brittania, and Hispania) survives! the only other ATL I know of that is the same is the TL in Steve White's Debt of Ages. King Arthur conquers the remnants of the Western Empire, then reunites East and West, but they have to split the two under his successor.

Is this TL on this site?

A World of Tears

In 370 the Huns conquered the Ostrogoths; by 376 they were ravaging the Balkans, driving the Goths into the Eastern Empire; in 377 the Huns the Sassanid Empire managed to push them back across the Caucus Mountains; . Texts from the period often describe them as the “Scourge of God”, or as the “Heathens on Horse Back”. Their presence in Eastern Europe and eventually in Central Europe shaped the modern world; for though they did not build a lasting empire they are directly responsible for the migrations that led to the destruction of the Middle Roman Empire.

As the Western Roman Empire began expansion into Germania the Visigothic invasion of the Eastern Empire was brought to a halt; in North Africa the Mauri rose against the weakened Middle Empire. While the barbarians beat at the gate of the Middle Empire the Eastern Empire experienced theo-political upheaval when the Emperor Alexander I formally announced that Arianism was not a protected form of Christianity. Though the Arian faith did not hold much weight within Anatolia, Greece, or Thrace it was the largest denomination of Christianity amongst those of Alexandria; it was also the form of Christianity which the barbarian Vandali had been converted to. In the Western Empire Arianism had long been seen as a non-canonical form of Christianity which was stamped out during the reign of Constantinus I.

The Fall of Rome

With the Visigoths defeated by Eastern Rome they began their migration that would eventually take them to Northern Italia. This period of Barbarian invasion and uprising was the turbulent storm before the fall. In 392 the Vandali under pressure from the Hunnic horde violated its treaty with Rome and invaded Italia. In 393 the Vandali laid waste to Middle Rome, Mediolanum. The Roman Emperor barley escaped death at the Vandali’s hands. The Vandali invasion of Italia pushed through the entirety of the Italian peninsula sacking Rome and forcing the Emperor to flee to North Africa. To many, this marks the fall of the Middle Roman Empire, for at this point the Vandali king proclaimed himself emperor of Rome. Neither Western nor Eastern Rome recognized the Vandali king as an Emperor instead they recognized a kingdom of Italy and that the birth place of Empire had fallen. That being said non-Mauri North Africa remained firmly loyal to the Middle Emperor who now resided in Thapsus. In Italia, the Vandali begin the slaughter of pagans and Western Catholics establishing their new kingdom as an Arian Christian entity.

And so it came to pass that darkness descended on Central Europe, and yet, the long night of the Huns had only just begun.

--

OCC: the year that this update ends is 398

londinium 398.png

Last edited:
So a pagan Roman Africa, and an Arian Italy?

Still I am waiting for te military disatyer that send the WE fleeing the continent for Britanna as darkness falls over the west.

So a pagan Roman Africa, and an Arian Italy?

Still I am waiting for te military disatyer that send the WE fleeing the continent for Britanna as darkness falls over the west.

Yah, we have a mostly Pagan Roman North Africa and a Arian Italy, though only the Vandali/Vandals are Arian. Most of the Romans who still live in Rome are pagan, though most of the wealthiest Romans are either dead or have fled to Sicily.

debt of ages?

No, the TL is in book of the same name by a Sci/fi author named Steve White.

I can't see paganism surviving in North Africa for too long. I think the Afro-Romans need someone the likes of Julian the Apostate to establish an organized pagan religion.

I can't see paganism surviving in North Africa for too long. I think the Afro-Romans need someone the likes of Julian the Apostate to establish an organized pagan religion.
I quite agree, an "Emperor" is needed to organize and establish an organized Pagan religion that could survive in this land of three powerful Christianities.

A World of Tears

Twilight in the Darkness

The Darkness had set upon Middle Europe like a beast of which nightmares spring from, but even as the Ever night descended upon Middle Europe the Eastern Roman Empire of Nicomedia shone light in the darkness that was engulfing Middle and Eastern Europe. This light was the actions of the Hunnic Chieftain Uldin. In the year 400 Uldin gave tribute to the Emperor of Nicomedia by sending the severed head of the Gothic King Radagaisus to him; in 401 the alliance between the Huns and Nicomedia was made manifest when the Emperor, Theodosius II, and Uldin allied with each other against the Sassanid Empire. In 377 the Huns had been pushed out by the Sassanids, but with both Nicomedia and the Huns working in concert the results would be quite different. The Third Crusade was less of protecting Christianity as it was about regaining land lost from the Sassanids in the Second Crusade. The Golden Era of the Sassanid Empire was at its end, over the next ten years the Huns and the Eastern Romans engage in a brutal struggle. In 411, as the Visigoths and the Vandali were waging war in northern Italy and as the Western Roman Empire and Africa Roma [1] signed a treaty ending their war and officially acknowledging Western Roman rule over Corsica et Sardinia, the Sassanids, Huns, and Nicomedians made peace. The treaty that closed the war forced the Sassanids to pay tribute to the Huns and the East Romans, while also seceding vast amounts of Eastern territories to Nicomedia and recognizing the creation of a puppet kingdom created from much of Mesopotamia. The Third Crusade had come to a close; the Eastern Roman Empire was now the largest it had been since the collapse of the Great Roman Empire, over a hundred years earlier.

Now Eastern Rome faced not the Sassanids as a possible threat, but instead the Huns, their ally, but the Hunnish threat to East Rome would dissipate for a time. In 412 Uldin’s death led to the Huns splitting into three separate groups. The Long Night of the Huns seemed to be just a little brighter, but this would not last.

For Constantinopolis: Warring with Africa Roma

The 390s saw the collapse of the Middle Empire, but not the total collapse; in North Africa Middle Roman Civilization still survived. Africa Roma had defended against two Vandali invasions and had banned the practice of Arian Christianity since the fall of Italia. In 406 Constantine III, Emperor of Constantinopolis, wanted to see as much of the Greater Roman Empire under his domain as possible. He wasn’t just referring to those provinces that were no longer under Rome’s/ Thapsus’s control. In 409 the Western Empire declared war on Africa Roma. The Africa Roma war is where we first see the Western Roman General Adalardo Maximus. Born in Britannia Adalardo would go down as one of the greatest generals in Roman history. Though Adalardo’s exploits in the Africa Roma War are not as spectacular as his later military exploits he would was responsible for the success of the invasion of Sardinia, which had with held against two previous Vandali invasion attempts. In 411, as the Vandali and the Visigoths war over northern Italia and the East Romans the Huns, and the Sassanids make peace, Africa Roma and the Western Empire sign the Treaty of Lutèce. The expansion period under Constantine III was just beginning and the light was still permeating through the darkness…for now.

--
[1] name for North African Roman Empire

londinium  413.png

Last edited:
I have edited the map to contain the names of the tribes, Kingdoms , and Empires featured.
Eventually a legend is going to become infeasible, as more nations appear in Europe, or the scope of the TL extends.
I'd suggest, every time you make the map, you copy it and add the names to the countries. Only to the ones that are too small for their name, you would put on the legend.

And that is why you should probably use GIMP, because you can save the one with names as an .xcf, and just transfer the new map under the names, and just move the ones that need to be moved or add new ones.

Last edited:
Eventually a legend is going to become infeasible, as more nations appear in Europe, or the scope of the TL extends.
I'd suggest, every time you make the mop, you copy it and add the names to the countries. Only to the ones that are too small for their name, you would put on the legend.

And that is why you should probably use GIMP, because you can save the one with names as an .xcf, and just transfer the new map under the names, and just move the ones that need to be moved or add new ones.

Oh, okay, thanks for the advice.

Status
Not open for further replies.