Rumsfeldia: Fear and Loathing in the Decade of Tears

Status
Not open for further replies.
I haven't commented on this since the previous thread, but I would agree with the people arguing that the timeline has moved from improbable to impossible. That isn't to say that it isn't interesting to read, but the timeline moved into parody of neoconservatism a long time ago. When Labour Day was renamed "Capitalism Day," I stopped taking this thing seriously.

Rumsfield and his staff are just too lacking in self-awareness. Congress is too willing to pass crazy reforms that would cost them their seats, and unless every party ran a candidate in every district and split the vote by unprecedented levels, I doubt that the Republicans would experience any of the electoral success they are seeing here. There would be literal political anarchy and motions for impeachment the moment Rumsfield tried to have Carter committed. Trying to use Ralph Nader as a casus belli is ridiculous. I'm not going to touch the gorilla thing.

As far as Canada is concerned, such an event would lead to either the disbandment of the United Nations or the censoring and suspension of US membership via a UNGA "Uniting for Peace." While used only once in the organization's history to defuse the Suez Crisis, the resolution theoretically has the power to overrule the Security Council. It would also open Pandora's Box as far as international relations are concerned, but that would be a small price when the US is threatening to invade Canada and has already blockaded Malta.

Last edited:

John Farson

Banned
Frankly I don't find the idea of a wealth-based elite to have much headway. Dictatorships may only need a plurality of the population to support them but Rumsfield doesn't even have his own party streamlined into a body to follow him in lock step.

Mind you, I'm not arguing that money in politics can't make headway, but there are limits to what it can do. Nelson Rockefeller was never the Republican nominee IOTL, Mitt Romney didn't win, etc. Money requires something more, and as Jonathan notes, Money doesn't really have much of the ability to get Ozzie and Harriet to follow everything happening around them, when money is very obviously making their lives inherently worse.

Someone was talking about Reagan before, he was able to dismantle the New Deal Consensus (Or what was left of it after Nixon, Ford and Carter) because he was able to present to the American people a restoration to (1) a Nostalgic past that they could have a cultural memory too and (2) was able to make Joe Schmo feel that it wasn't some radical transformation and (3) was able to point to things and say "Yeah, you're standard of living is better." Rumsfeld in no way can offer this, to anyone.

At the very least its impossible under this sort of situation to really imagine that Rummy could have won a second term without having built bridges to some other group, which is something that he in no way has done.

And while Churchill quotes about voters being all idiots are fun, and while a lot of folks do tend to think that way about the average american, and the american from the other half that they don't view themselves to be in, its hard to imagine that there can be some sort of Wiemar-extent failure in this timeline. The 1970's were rocky, but at this point the chaos in the Average America's life is inherently coming from one source, and to expect enough of them to simply keep supporting that source, just because they voted for Nixon or Reagan IOTL is simply beyond plausibility.

And before I get told by someone else to shut up and stop trying to kill a timeline, I'm not: I'm simply noting that there's not really a capacity to suspend disbelief anymore for me at this point.

Even with this, I just can't see Canada 'handing over' their provinces to the United States. This isn't a game of Victoria 2, that sort of stuff can't just happen. Also, the level of guerrilla resistance to American occupation would be substantial, and threatening to nuke resisting cities would be several dozen bridges too far for the average American voter.

Neither do I. Nor can I see the administration being able to spin the Canadians shot Ralph Nader so let's invade Canada. It just comes off as too big a leap even with the Rumsfeld propaganda machine. Also would the Canadians in those provinces really agree to be handed over to the US just like that? It's a long way from disliking the government of your own country to wanting to be part of another country.

For me this is the blue whale we're jumping over after all the Sharks back in 1984. I'm still reading, just to see how the coup plays out.

I suppose. At that point it was "dystopia for the sake of dystopia" which Drew wrote quite well for most of the seventies, but as we go though the eighties, there just too many moments where I think "This is just silly".

I mostly agree with Japhy's snarky assessment of this series. Not all of it, but he makes a lot of good points. He did a decent "Theoretical Look Forward" of it in the PMs and Presidents thread.

Yep. I still don't think he gave James Gavin a proper chance; just swept him aside to get to his dystopia faster.

I really, REALLY don't like Crapsack Worlds for the sake of Crapsack Worlds. This is one of them.

Even if that's so, it didn't HAVE to lead to chaos. Moreover, it didn't NEED to -- but, like gawkers at a trainwreck, we all fixedly watched it become one, anyhow.

I haven't commented on this since the previous thread, but I would agree with the people arguing that the timeline has moved from improbable to impossible. That isn't to say that it isn't interesting to read, but the timeline moved into satire of neoconservatism a long time ago.

Rumsfield and his staff are just too lacking in self-awareness. Congress is too willing to pass these crazy reforms, and unless every party ran a candidate in every district and split the vote by unprecedented levels, I doubt that the Republicans would experience any of the electoral success they are seeing here. There would be literal political anarchy and motions for impeachment the moment Rumsfield tried to have Carter committed and use Ralph Nader as a casus belli.

As far as Canada is concerned, the only recourse I can see is the United Nations General Assembly passing a "Uniting for Peace" resolution to condemn and sanction the US government. While used only once in the organization's history to defuse the Suez Crisis, the resolution theoretically has the power to overrule the Security Council.

It would also open Pandora's Box as far as international relations are concerned, but that would be a small price when the US is threatening to invade Canada and has already blockaded Malta.

As someone who's been following this from the very beginning - and oh lord was that a long time ago - I find myself more or less agreeing with all of these posts.

I still like the original F, L & G very much. While it also had its quirks and implausibilities - the biggest one in hindsight being the creation of the Hughes Network, which was just putting together Fox News decades before it came into existence, in a different media environment - I could by and large suspend my disbelief and enjoy the story. I can no longer do so with Rumsfeldia, and haven't really for quite a while. Hence why I haven't posted in this thread since April. The thing about the US taking over chunks of Canada was just the icing on the cake for me.

Rumsfeldia to me is clearly the Bush Administration and its events transplanted into the 1980s, only on steroids. To me this is problematic, partly because what happened under the Bush Administration OTL was only possible because of the slow drift to the right of the American voting public through the 1980s and 1990s. On the other hand, in this TL there is nothing to suggest that liberalism itself, of the FDR, Truman, JFK and LBJ variety, has been tarnished in the eyes of the American people. Indeed, if you look at TTL in 1980, the last good presidents the U.S. had (and seen that way by the people of TTL) were all liberals. I would rather suspect that LBJ looks much greater, in comparison to what followed him in TTL's 1970s, than he does IOTL as an example. Since liberalism has not been discredited thoroughly ITTL, it's hard to see the public sitting back and watching as the Great Society, the New Deal and much, more more are unraveled - particularly considering Dixiecrats and many Republicans were still in support of large portions of it at this time.

I'm increasingly regarding F, L & G and Rumsfeldia as two separate TLs, if not also two separate stories. The former for me is more grounded in realism - quirks notwithstanding - while the latter increasingly resembles the back-story of dystopian works of fiction like Judge Dredd, V For Vendetta, Soylent Green, Robocop, The Running Man or the Fallout games, to name a few examples. If it had been like that from the beginning, I wouldn't have so many issues; in FaT, for example, you pretty much see what the theme is right from the start. F, L & G wasn't like that, though, at least not in the beginning.

I don't want to tear the whole thing apart, my hat goes off to Drew for having written this long, but I do believe in stating an honest opinion when something doesn't gel right. If I get flak for this, then so be it. At least I explained myself.

Congressman

Banned
First of, stop complaining about the story before Drew quits. I want to see it though to the end.

And Second, can someone please tell me why Wallace didn't run in 1980. Please

Drew wrote that the 70s were similar to Germany's 1920s, with homelessness reaching into the middle class. I see the whole Rumsfeldia thing as a consequence of that. However, yeah, Canada was a bit much.

Stolengood

Banned
First of, stop complaining about the story before Drew quits.
He should've quit before he lost his head. An overwhelming amount of former fans have admitted distaste and disappointment in the implausibilities of this TL. By all rights, this whacked-out thing deserves to be in ASB.

First of, stop complaining about the story before Drew quits. I want to see it though to the end.

And Second, can someone please tell me why Wallace didn't run in 1980. Please
You should read the first edition; it is well worth the read even if it is a bit long. It feels like years ago, but IIRC, Wallace didn't run because the economy was in the stinker, he had family issues, and his plan to tax oil companies brought about a ton of controversy. He also, as noted, was very ill.

I share in a few of the critics claims, but I agree that some (not all) of the critics are going too far and are basing their criticism on their hatreds of the bleakness. I hate dystopia wanks, but this isn't a dystopia wank. 99% of the content is a direct reaction to what happened in FLG '72.

He should've quit before he lost his head. An overwhelming amount of former fans have admitted distaste and disappointment in the implausibilities of this TL. By all rights, this whacked-out thing deserves to be in ASB.
What have you written that gives you the right to tell others when to quit? You are being far, far, far too harsh.

Stolengood

Banned
If this TL bothers you that badly, you could not read it..
I haven't been; I haven't read this TL since shortly after James Gavin started his term -- I read ahead on the TV Tropes page, though, and was too dismayed by what it described of the results to keep reading. I was told to check out the discussion by another user dismayed at the TL, though (whom I will not name). Couldn't help but join in; again, I apologize. I'm sorry for my remarks. :(

DTanza

Banned
I haven't really seen it as a huge problem because I read it as a gradual escalation taking place over a decade rather than just crapsack in a vacuum. And Drew's made it fairly clear just how unsustainable Rumsfeld's regime is and how it's falling apart.

I didn't see Rumsfeld becoming the head of an authoritarian government as happening in a vacuum either. There were events that lead to him and the people in his government to believe that they were doing the right thing, from the feeling that they were ousted by Democrats and betrayed by moderates in their own party in the wake of Nixon and Agnew. A feeling that existed OTL and that the Republican Party today still hasn't recovered from. In this timeline that feeling of betrayal and being under siege was ramped up to eleven by the constitutional crisis and Agnew being kicked out for Gavin.

At most, I'd say taking the western half of Canada was stretching it. Otherwise I see everything that's happening right now in the timeline as a progression of the supremely dirty race of '72 and the constitutional crisis afterwards. And it's likely that the far-right is going to feel even more under siege after this, given that they'll see this as the second time a coup has been launched against them.

Congressman

Banned
En mi Opinion, I think we all need an update. This story is like a drug. We all get cranky after long periods of time without, and if it doesn't solve all our answers.

After a couple of months, we aren't addicted anymore. Then one new update, and we need it.

In fact, I haven't seen a timeline with this many posts between updates. Wow

En mi Opinion, I think we all need an update. This story is like a drug. We all get cranky after long periods of time without, and if it doesn't solve all our answers.

After a couple of months, we aren't addicted anymore. Then one new update, and we need it.

In fact, I haven't seen a timeline with this many posts between updates. Wow

feedback plays an important role in any field and trying to silence dissenters cripples a story and a writer's ability to develop. im happy that you enjoy the timeline, but theres no point in getting defensive about people who disagree

you dont need to panic that he'll pack his things and leave if people object to some of the elements of this story. i think drew has a thick enough skin to understand and respond to criticism.

Neither do I. Nor can I see the administration being able to spin the Canadians shot Ralph Nader so let's invade Canada. It just comes off as too big a leap even with the Rumsfeld propaganda machine. Also would the Canadians in those provinces really agree to be handed over to the US just like that? It's a long way from disliking the government of your own country to wanting to be part of another country.

Put it this way.

I read somewhere(credible, mainstream source) that at a premiers conference some time in the 90s, Roy Romanow, the left-wing premier of Saskatchewan mentioned to Ralph Klein, the right-wing premier of Alberta, that in the event of Quebec separating, they'd need to think of some new arrangements for the other provinces.

When Romanow mentioned western separation or American annexation as possible outcomes, Klein simply replied "That's treason", and the conversation ended there.

So, even the right-wing premier of the most right-wing province considered annexation to the US beyond the pale. Granted, Klein was not QUITE as right-wing as some of his enemies made out(native-spirituality practitioner, pro-choice etc), but he was very much someone with a feel for public opinion in Alberta.

Long and the short: No, in the world as it is, there would be very few Albertans willing to actively collaborate with an American invasion. Maybe, as I suggested upthread, some of the neo-socred Alberta Report crowd, but even that would be a stretch.

Last edited:
On the subject of the next post:

You assume there's going to be an election in 1988; I wouldn't be surprised to find it postponed by a 'state of emergency'. Imagine what Rumsfeld could do with something like 9-11...

This TL seems to be headed into 1987, right? So does this mean we start approaching this subject soon?

I haven't really seen it as a huge problem because I read it as a gradual escalation taking place over a decade rather than just crapsack in a vacuum. And Drew's made it fairly clear just how unsustainable Rumsfeld's regime is and how it's falling apart.

I didn't see Rumsfeld becoming the head of an authoritarian government as happening in a vacuum either. There were events that lead to him and the people in his government to believe that they were doing the right thing, from the feeling that they were ousted by Democrats and betrayed by moderates in their own party in the wake of Nixon and Agnew. A feeling that existed OTL and that the Republican Party today still hasn't recovered from. In this timeline that feeling of betrayal and being under siege was ramped up to eleven by the constitutional crisis and Agnew being kicked out for Gavin.

At most, I'd say taking the western half of Canada was stretching it. Otherwise I see everything that's happening right now in the timeline as a progression of the supremely dirty race of '72 and the constitutional crisis afterwards. And it's likely that the far-right is going to feel even more under siege after this, given that they'll see this as the second time a coup has been launched against them.

That's a pretty good summary. A lot can happen with the right crisis (1972) and some butterflies, but taking any bits of Canada by force or threat (barring the collapse of Canada, which is irrelevant in this case) is questionable at best, especially Alberta. I doubt that the UK would be happy about this.

Status
Not open for further replies.