Rules/Cliches of AH

*bump*

Another cliche: Many TLs starting way back in the past see a whole lot of action (scientific progresses, discoveries - esp. of America, wars, revolutions) until everything stops suddenly and the TL ends. Probably because the author ran out of ideas ;)

Cuba always ends up as part of a North American superpower. Call it USA, CSA, American Empire, Uber-Canada, Britwank American Raj, New New France or Mega-Quebec. Cuba is doomed. The fate of Cuba is to become part of a North American power that never is Spanish-speaker. Never. An Anglo or even French dominance is apparently more plausible than a Spanish, Mexican or Great Colombian Cuba. And, of course, foreign dominated Cuba is far more plausible than a full independent Cuba. Maybe OTL is ASBish. Who knows.

Either technology will become more advanced, and society will be near-perfect in the "Country of Author's Preference", or it will not have progressed as far. If tech is lagging behind OTL, it can only be used in an AH story involving time travelers or ASBs.

Last edited:
Either technology will become more advanced, and society will be near-perfect in the "Country of Author's Preference", or it will not have progressed as far. If tech is not the same as in OTL, it can only be used in an AH story involving time travelers or ASBs.

Conversely, no matter how much one area of technology (usually military) has advanced, and no matter how far from the POD, other (irrelevant to the plot) things are discovered in exactly the same time, often in the same places by the same people.
Also, even if the relative economic and other standings of countries have changed, things are still discovered in the same countries anyway. For example, even after Napoleon manages to impose his Continental System across Europe and France takes India, Britain still introduces the steam engine first, generally invented by James Watt.

No matter what changes are made, a massive Slavic dominated, Moscow centered Russia pops up like clockwork. People don't seem to realize the very particular sequence of events that allowed OTL to happen- if you had to take bets, the most likely outcome is probably a series of competing states- Novgorod, Kiev, Moscow, etc.

Neat, fun to read through these to keep an eye on my own baseball one.

Of course, I feel it has to have the same player names from 1871 on just for people who read, so they know the player names. But, it is a bit lazy, too :) I guess you could call my theory the "inevitability" one, where there's some higher plan that these people being born are part of. Unless it's *impossible* for the parents to have met and the people to be born, they are. It's not the norm, but that's the way i do things.

I have made sure, in my "Union win at Chancellorsville/war over by Sept. 1863" POD not to get the US involved in freeing Cuba in 1868-1878 when they had a failed war of independence. Though, I am wondering if Cuba might avoid Communism. having pitcher Jose Mendez live, and the popular hurler find a way to get Cuba out of her troubles in the 1930s seems a bit too...convenient, though. Anyone disagree and think i should? Or does anyone think a few butterflied weapons to the Cuban freedom fighters could help them win freedom in, say, 1872 and make a difference? Hmm, maybe I'd better make a poll on this separately.

Race relations improve slowly, but not overnight. There won't be as long and drawn out a period of problems, nor will there be a "Civil Rights movement" as such, since it's so gradual. So, I think I've avoided the "make everything rosy" cliche that's easy to fall into. It gets pretty good in the '20s, a little sour in the Depression, & after WW II the last barriers come down pretty fast in the late '40s early '50s. The main focus is baseball, but I feel other things hsould be mentioned.

What does anyone think about random people who weren't born in OTL because their ancesors died in the period 1836-5 during the war? Or who weren't lynched becasue an end of that barbary was made sooner. (OScar Underwood, who even in OTL came out against the Klan as a Democrat in 1924, would be born and live in a different world, and is the man I have as president in place of Wilson, trying to improve things by integrated the miitary after WW I, etc.

What I mean is, already one player helps to encourage integration in OTL who isn't killed in the war. Should it be fair for 1-2 other people to pop up in government whose ancesotrs didn't die? I'm already planning on having Arthur MacArthur die in an AH Chattanooga, so no Douglas MacArthur. (Some of you are cheering, I suspect. I figure it makes sense to have a *few* butterflies so it isn't all the same.)

It might not be the favorite of many b/c there are so many proponents of the butterfly theory. but, it's fun working out the details.

Last edited:
Probably more of a map cliche:

The Philippines will be formerly ruled or still controlled in the present day by a nation that is in North America (USA, CSA, Commonwealth of Virginia, etc.) regardless if the POD is in the 1700s.

Probably more of a map cliche:

The Philippines will be formerly ruled or still controlled in the present day by a nation that is in North America (USA, CSA, Commonwealth of Virginia, etc.) regardless if the POD is in the 1700s.

I had this idea to give the Philippines to Germany after the Spanish-American War.

Last edited:
Cuba always ends up as part of a North American superpower. Call it USA, CSA, American Empire, Uber-Canada, Britwank American Raj, New New France or Mega-Quebec. Cuba is doomed. The fate of Cuba is to become part of a North American power that never is Spanish-speaker. Never. An Anglo or even French dominance is apparently more plausible than a Spanish, Mexican or Great Colombian Cuba. And, of course, foreign dominated Cuba is far more plausible than a full independent Cuba. Maybe OTL is ASBish. Who knows.

Well, there were many attempts by the US to annex Cuba, mostly led from Southern states. If the CSA had gained peace, Cuba would've been the most likely target of any future expansion.

If that happens, just hope that Germany fares better after WWI, since I'm guessing that Japan will take the Philippines in the peace treaty.

There's always Zeppilins. Even the Doctor Who alternate world had zeppilins.
Ariships seem reasonable enough but Zeppelins in and of themselves would only make sense if:
-the Von Zeppelin family existed ITL
-The good Count von Zeppelin existed.
-Count von Zeppelin was in/observed the usage of a lighter-than-air craft during some war.
-Germany did not yet have a light-than-air craft in use already.
-Germany (the government or a private force) has the funds for such an enterprise.
-von Zeppelin does not give up after the LZ-1 crashes/burns/oi vey.

Well, there were many attempts by the US to annex Cuba, mostly led from Southern states. If the CSA had gained peace, Cuba would've been the most likely target of any future expansion.

I remembered this thread some days ago when I was searching articles in Wikipedia...

Well, my point of view is that the CSA would be near destruction even if it winned the ACW, so it would need many years to rebuilt it's economy, obviously many more years than OTL because it has not the money from the US and it's probably in bad terms with Britain (HRM acted against slavery in remote African villages... why would help or even allied herself with the confederates?). France is also probable to decline an alliance with the CSA after the fall of Napoleon III at Sedan. So, we have a still recovering CSA right into the 1880s or even in the early 1890s. It's also unlikely that it would deployed a strong navy in this situation; plus the better commanders of the US navy/army in the 1890s are still in the Union, because they were northerners. Moreover, there is the question of internal support. People use to forget or underrate the role of Cuban guerrillas attacking the Spaniards at all time and from all directions, even driving the soldiers to lands were they knew that had malaria. The Cubans who rebelled for independence demanded in the first place a more liberal government (they agreed to forget independence and made peace in 1878 and 1897 after the Spaniards granted some reforms; even the first cry in 1868 was only "Liberal and Spanish Cuba"...), so they are unlikely to support a new colonial ruler. They achieved a Comonwealth-type system in 1897, why would they want to become the new territory of the CSA? Needless to say, the black slaves who were fighting against the Spaniards and gained their freedom on their own in the 1880s would never be happy to receive an army who believe that they are a simple property. Remember, we are talking about a CS annexation, not a US support of independence (at least on paper) as OTL. That supposing that the Cuban War of Independence goes as OTL and there isn't American involvement till 1898. However, many of the AH writers use to put Cuba under the CSA even earlier, in the 1870s, or annex it to the US in the 1850s, when the whole situation in America, Cuba and Spain is completely different from the late 1890s and probably is more likely to end with US/CS defeat or minor victory (maybe Cuba gains independene and nothing more) rather than the complete victory of 1898 or an even more stunning victory... I remember an older post by Straha (I think) where the US takes all the 1898 gains plus Polinesia, Guinea, the Canary Islands and the Moroccan plazas... in 1855! Oh, God, why not make the US conquering also mainland Spain at the same time?.

Well... Why I remembered this post? It was because I was reading the Wikipedia article about Turtledove's TL-191, work in which I'm interested but I can't buy now because it isn't edited yet in my country. Well, the thing is that, in the Common Characters article, I saw this:

Castro, Fidel

(SA:G)
Known by his first name only, Fidel Castro is a young leader of a biracial anti-Freedom Party group in Confederate Cuba.
That is, in my opinion, a common but nonsense cliche. There are several ATLs with a Confederate Cuba in which there is always a Castro who rebels against the CSA (and generally fails :rolleyes: ). However, the own existence of Castro is near impossible in a TL in which Spain left Cuba in he 1870s (as the first book of the TL-191 claims), because, ironically, Fidel Castro is the son of Ángel Castro, one of the 200.000 soldiers who were sent from Spain in 1895 to fight today's Cuban heros of independence. Without OTL 3 Cuban Wars, Castro would remain in Spain or emigrate to other country. If he still joins the army, he would be sent probably to Morocco or the Philippines. If he want to be an hacendado in America, he would probably travel to Puerto Rico. If he want to be another common Galician inmigrant, he would end more likely in Venezuela or Argentina. And in all cases, Ángel Castro would never built a house in Cuba and would never hire a cook called Lina Ruz.

Last edited:
First off, I said 'target' and 'any future', implying that it wasn't certain. The CSA would've been worse off than Brazil for 25-30 years. The idea that it could ever become a sort of superpower is ludicrous.

As for Castro being a freedom fighter, how is that ironic? He never fought against the Spanish. It'd be like... Well, no analogies leap to mind.