Rome not a modern state

Lots of posts here about Rome either lasting until the modern era or somehow discovering some modern invention, usually gunpowder, that would allow it to survive the several crises that led to its downfall. If Rome discovered gunpowder, for example, the legions would probably look very much like 19th cent British regiments down to the style of helmet, red jacket and tactics.

Another assumption is that if Rome utilized steam or electricity it would develop a society rather like our own but with quaint differences. My perception would be that it would be unlike own own in very fundamental ways. Technology determines our level of control over some fascets of nature but our world view is determined by our artistic and cultural outlook.

If Rome did discover and adopt a significant technologial advance(s) how could it escape becoming something like an oppressive even Fascist society? No matter what time it discovered this advance either republic or empire.

NapoleonXIV

Banned
Possibly the development of proto-capitalism in response to their economic problems in the 3rd and 4thc. Such would enable them to stay economically, and therefore militarily, powerful, but also require a certain degree of freedom.

The Barbarian migrations would reinforce this system, since they would require power to deal with while at the same time introducing new forms of government to the Romans. The plagues of the 4th and 5thc might then stimulate further progress, particularly in technology, through the labor shortage and consequent decline of slavery.

Another interesting side effect if Rome discovers manufacturing technology is a reversal of the wealthy moving out of the cities in the latter days of the empire. After around 280 AD or so, many of the aristocrats and wealthy businessman of the empire chose to retreat from the cities to settle on huge farms (latifundia, if I remember my Latin) in Gaul and Spain. The owners stocked their fields with debt slaves and ruled like feudal kings, decentralizing the empire. If technology kicks off, a lot of the production will likely be contracted out of the cities to these latifundia, ala cottage industries for textiles as in OTL England and the Rhineland. This will likely strengthen the ties between the city and the countryside, a key problem for the late empire.

Also, I think the use of slaves in factories and businesses could create a very interesting subclass. Wealthy Romans often regarded commerce as somewhat distasteful, and dispatched slaves and hired men to manage and invest their assets. Slaves in the Roman world were often not chattel slaves, as in the American South and Brazil. Rather, they were prisoners of war, sometimes quite educated (a Greek slave teaching the kids grammar and oratory was common), or free farmers who entered slavery to get out debt. If these slaves are the ones running the manufacturing economy in lieu of the wealthy, it could be a interesting standoff between them and their masters.

Another interesting side effect if Rome discovers manufacturing technology is a reversal of the wealthy moving out of the cities in the latter days of the empire. After around 280 AD or so, many of the aristocrats and wealthy businessman of the empire chose to retreat from the cities to settle on huge farms (latifundia, if I remember my Latin) in Gaul and Spain. The owners stocked their fields with debt slaves and ruled like feudal kings, decentralizing the empire. If technology kicks off, a lot of the production will likely be contracted out of the cities to these latifundia, ala cottage industries for textiles as in OTL England and the Rhineland. This will likely strengthen the ties between the city and the countryside, a key problem for the late empire.

Also, I think the use of slaves in factories and businesses could create a very interesting subclass. Wealthy Romans often regarded commerce as somewhat distasteful, and dispatched slaves and hired men to manage and invest their assets. Slaves in the Roman world were often not chattel slaves, as in the American South and Brazil. Rather, they were prisoners of war, sometimes quite educated (a Greek slave teaching the kids grammar and oratory was common), or free farmers who entered slavery to get out debt. If these slaves are the ones running the manufacturing economy in lieu of the wealthy, it could be a interesting standoff between them and their masters.

Marximus:
Rise slaves and throw of the leashes of the Romans.

Colosseum is the opiate of the masses.

18th century tactics were only possible after tactics had developed ~500 years after invention of gunpowder in Europe, so it won't happen as fast in Rome. Probably much slower, because Rome doesn't need much developed tactics against barbarian opponents. Only exception: Persia.