Romanovs in Finland

Well, if Romanovs are still killed in Finland that hardly would change anything. So let's ratherly say that they manage to survive from Finnish Civil War.

Thing is just that Romanovs are not very welcomed in FInland. Government probably asks them to leave. And if Bolshevik regime asks hand ex-tsar the Finnish government is probably more than willingful to do that. But it probably wouldn't accept handing of toher family members.

Not then sure what the Romanovs would do in exile. Alexei probably still dies quiet early probably in early 1920's.

Well if they are killed anyway, I fail to see what would change. If they STAY in Finland, perhaps under fake identities while being assumed dead, then they just stay there peacefully as non-royals. Alexei probably dies young but his sisters would wed Finnish men and lead peaceful quiet lives. Anastasia would be very amused over pretenders though

Well if they are killed anyway, I fail to see what would change. If they STAY in Finland, perhaps under fake identities while being assumed dead, then they just stay there peacefully as non-royals. Alexei probably dies young but his sisters would wed Finnish men and lead peaceful quiet lives. Anastasia would be very amused over pretenders though

There is just couple difficulties. People knew what Nicholas II looked like. Of course he could for example shave his beard off. But bigger issue is that no one of them at least with my knowledge spoke any word of Finnish. They would are noticed quickly. THe family of course could study the language but probably at least Nicholas' and Alix's Finnish would have very strong accent which would catch attention of officials. Russians weren't really welcomed in Finland at these times. And it probably would be good idea to convert to Lutheranism at least formally.

I think that more plausible is that they later would try go to France in 1920's instead staying in "unliyal province".

There is just couple difficulties. People knew what Nicholas II looked like. Of course he could for example shave his beard off. But bigger issue is that no one of them at least with my knowledge spoke any word of Finnish. They would are noticed quickly. THe family of course could study the language but probably at least Nicholas' and Alix's Finnish would have very strong accent which would catch attention of officials. Russians weren't really welcomed in Finland at these times. And it probably would be good idea to convert to Lutheranism at least formally.

I think that more plausible is that they later would try go to France in 1920's instead staying in "unliyal province".
How exactly are they going to get to France without being noticed?

Nicky’s daughters will, all things being equal, probably live to sometime in the mid to late 1970s. Possible odd effects on the interwar and Cold War periods.

Nicky’s daughters will, all things being equal, probably live to sometime in the mid to late 1970s. Possible odd effects on the interwar and Cold War periods.

There might be some intresting consueqences. And Nicholas II too would live long enough to see most of WW2 if stuch thing still occurs and if the tsar is not killed before that.

If Mannerheim has an opportunity he would definitely place the Romanov family under his protection and aid them in any way he can. Though Marshal of Finland, his loyalties and personal sympathies remained with the Tsardom and Russia.

Since Nicholas II had been trying to Russify Finland since 1899, I can't imagine the Finns giving him a warm welcome (unless you consider hot tar and feathers to be a welcome).
I imagine that even right wing Finns would find a Romanov presence to be too divisive for a small (population wise) country and "relocate" or expel them fast.

That aside, alot of Russification measures intended for Poland and Finland (both self governing provinces) were never fully enforced due to either poor organization or wise foresight. Though there clearly was anti Russian sentiment in both provinces, , Mannerheim and thousands of Finns willingly served in the Russian Imperial Army. Ditto for Poland.

If Mannerheim has an opportunity he would definitely place the Romanov family under his protection and aid them in any way he can. Though Marshal of Finland, his loyalties and personal sympathies remained with the Tsardom and Russia.
I agree, but in the end, I think the political situation in Finland would not support a Romanov presence and it would be opposed by both the Finnish left the Finnish right A Romanov presence and proximity to Russia would attract a lot of Russians. Warm right wing feelings between rightwing Finns and white Russians aside, a continued Russian presence could well delay Finland's emergence as a fully independent nation.

Thus, I am thinking that Mannerheim's support would be limited to:
- Adequate lodging and health care so as not to have a re run of Charles of Austria's death on Mannerheim's watch
- Enough MP protection to prevent another regicide ala Czar Alexander II.
- "Assistance" in booking transportation to the UK, France, Italy, Portugal or say, fellow Eastern Orthodox Greece or Bulgaria- asap.

As the song goes....

"One last call for alcohol so finish your whiskey or beer
Closing time

You don't have to go home but you can't stay here...."

Those Romanov family members-Nicky, Alix and their kids-at the neutral country Finland would be under a self-criticism attacked by the Red Russian government. The Finnish might keep young Romanov family members at the important secret safe house to lecture the daily plentiful life on the housing chores, activities, and mass media coverage on working volunteer places with abundant crowds. There would be an important taxation for the Finnish special agents (the Finnish people would pay gratitude token of small or medium taxes).

Why France and not a fast exile (with Finns looking the other way) on an RN cruiser? At least apart from Nicky himself, the rest would presumably be welcomed in the west and save Finland from Russian anger?

I think that with Nicky alive the Whites are marginally more likely to win the Russian civil war, with the legitimate Tsar still alive they can draw more international support as the Windsors still felt a familial bond with the Romanovs at the time and they could leverage more resources. With a white victory, we could see a Westminster style constitutional monarchy in Russia that avoids a lot of misery that the 20th century had.

I think that with Nicky alive the Whites are marginally more likely to win the Russian civil war, with the legitimate Tsar still alive they can draw more international support as the Windsors still felt a familial bond with the Romanovs at the time and they could leverage more resources. With a white victory, we could see a Westminster style constitutional monarchy in Russia that avoids a lot of misery that the 20th century had.

I doubt that Nicholas II still alive would change much. Actually might make their situation bit worse since there is not martyred imperial family. And there was quiet few of support for ex-ssar anyway. Only few would go behind of him.

Windsors don't have much control on government and their familial bond did not count for much (as shown by OTL.)