Roman Timeline

Sargon said:
This is an excellent timeline, and I am thoroughly enjoying it :)

Yes, you have just killed off a ruler who could have built the canals, especially since he obviously had a passion for public works. A little rewrite perhaps? Or just an addition to the above text...after all it could be part of the reign you omitted to mention ;) I'm sure no-one would mind.

I'd like to see more development of the Roman-Han relationship...these two great powers working together could accomplish a lot.

Sargon
Nah, he'll stay dead. There'll be other guys that'll want to build a canal. Maybe I'll have someone start one and then stop, then have someone pick up from there.

New update

##########

Parthicus ruled the Roman Empire from AD 138 to AD 142. Though a brutal leader, he was also a capable administrator, who managed the empire quite well.

When Parthicus assumed power, the population of the city of Rome was around 1.5 million people. Through forced emigration, he brought the population down to 1 million, settling many of the displaced people in the European provinces, some of which were beginning to be as populated as the eastern provinces.

He also enfranchised many people in the Empire, giving them Roman citizenship, if they could speak latin fluently and pay a fee. This action upset many in the Senate, who saw it as selling Roman citizenship. When they protested, Parthicus have many of them killed to silence their opposition.

However, Parthicus did continue many of Persicus' policies regarding the provinces and sent out trading expeditions of his own. He also had the legions start using wheelbarrows, an invention brought over by the Han, in their construction projects. During his reign, indian numerals began to see use in the eastern provinces. These numerals were much easier to use than the Roman numerals and became very popular, at least in the east.

Late in his reign, Parthicus decided that the best way to salvage his failing popularity was to start a military campaign. To him, the best option was to campaign against the Venedae, the historic enemies of the empire's new Gothonian allies. However, this idea was very unpopular. The senate saw no need to waste Roman lives for that region, the merchants didn't want trade disrupted, the people of Rome were sick of the emperor's lack of interest with the city, and the Gothonians didn't want to risk getting invaded.

Parthicus was assassinated by the Praetorian Guard, who were prompted by Senator Quintus Trebatius Armenius, who had, ironically enough, been elevated to his position by Parthicus himself. Armenius, popular with both the Senate and the Praetorian Guard, became the next emperor.

##########

Here we go again.

##########

Quintus Trebatius Armenius was emperor from AD 142 to AD 156. His reign would see much unrest and rebellion in the empire, though he managed to keep things together.

Early on, in late 142, he faced a rebellion in the eastern provinces, specifically Media Superior and Susiana. He went with the legions to quell the rebellion, conducting the effort from Seleucia Magna (formed when the Ctesiphon was incorporated into Seleucia). The revolt was crushed in 144, just as another was forming in Persia Inferior, Carmania, and Parthia Inferior. Armenius moved his base of operations to Persepolis and went about attacking the rebels. In 145, Persia Inferior fell to the Imperial forces while Aria fell to the rebels. The other rebellious provinces would capitulate in AD 148.

Just as Armenius returned to Rome in AD 149, word came of yet another rebellion in the east, this time in the client state of Elymais, which had just undergone a revolution and refused to pay tribute to Rome. Armenius would go to lead the legions against the rebels, defeating them in AD 152, and incorporating Elymais as a province.

For the next 2 years, Armenius would spend his time in Persepolis and Seleucia Magna. He would then return to Rome, where he would continue out the rest of his reign to his death in AD 156. His adopted son and successor was a general named Gaius Oranius Lysippus, who, upon his adoption became Quintus Trebatius Armenius Lysippianus.

Armenius was a exceptionally able ruler who managed both to keep the city of Rome happy (even though he spent less than half of his reign in the city) and to keep the provinces in line, though it was beginning to prove difficult. His successors would not prove to be as able.

##########

What'dya guys think? Any personal opinions on how the Empire should fall? I know the basic outline of what I want, but I'm not sure how I'd like to get there. So, if you guys have any ideas (I don't want to influence you with what the end result should be), hopefully, it'll inspire me.

Split

IIRC one of the reasons for Constance's spliting the Empire, was the Shere Distances involved in getting messages, from the edges, to the administrative center. As your Empire is much Bigger sooner, perhaps a Three or Four way split. Also you have already had the army [PG] Chose the Emperor. Maybe a Civil War.

DuQuense said:
IIRC one of the reasons for Constance's spliting the Empire, was the Shere Distances involved in getting messages, from the edges, to the administrative center. As your Empire is much Bigger sooner, perhaps a Three or Four way split. Also you have already had the army [PG] Chose the Emperor. Maybe a Civil War.

I've read that during the forth century Emporers held court at Milan because Rome was too far from the frontiers of the Empire.

Landshark said:
I've read that during the forth century Emporers held court at Milan because Rome was too far from the frontiers of the Empire.
Hence Armenius spending much of his reign ruling from Seleucia and Persepolis. As the Empire splits up, one of these two will be the capital of the Eastern Empire.

Diamond

Banned
r.e. split

I thought DuQuense's idea was a good one: why not have a three-way split? Western (Corduba), Central (Rome), and Eastern (Persepolis)... the constantly shifting alliances between them will not only make the next few centuries very interesting, but the interplay and competition would serve to keep all three stronger, I think, than OTL West and East were on their own.

Diamond said:
I thought DuQuense's idea was a good one: why not have a three-way split? Western (Corduba), Central (Rome), and Eastern (Persepolis)... the constantly shifting alliances between them will not only make the next few centuries very interesting, but the interplay and competition would serve to keep all three stronger, I think, than OTL West and East were on their own.
Why stop at 3? :D

Here's some more for you guys to chew on.

##########

Lysippianus reigned from AD 156 to AD 159. While he was emperor, Roman galleys would finally circumnavigate Africa, and the east would again rebel.

Ever since Persicus was emperor, there had been sporadic Roman expeditions along the African coasts. It was only in AD 156 that they finally managed to sail around the entire continent, which was much much larger than anyone had thought. However, most of the continent was either unsuitable for habitation or too far away to be worth the effort, so the Roman presence was restricted to coastal outposts. Still, the Romans had significant influence in the region, due to their dominance of trade.

Meanwhile, there was sporadic unrest in the east, requiring Lysippianus to conduct his reign from Persepolis for most of it. He skillfully commanded the legions and seemed to be able to crush revolts before they even started. Yet, the seeds of his downfall were sown in Rome, as his spent very little time, money, or attention on the Eternal city, while spending much on Persepolis.

Lysippianus eventually crushed the last of the revolts and returned to Rome in AD 159. He expected to be greeted as a hero, but instead faced an unruly and rebellious city. Within days of returning, he was found dead, murdered in his sleep. The emperor chosen by the Senate to replace him was Senator Marcus Claudius Malchus. However, Malchus was unpopular with the much of the army, who supported Titus Secundius Silvanus.

Malchus and the Senate refused the Legions' demands and civil war soon broke out. Malchus generally had the support of the legions in Europe, while Silvanus had the support of the eastern legions.

The civil war would be a short affair, though the year 160 was pretty much a stalemate. Malchus would win the battles of Byzantium and Ephesus, while Silvanus would claim victory at Antioch and Miletus. 161 saw Malchus winning at Apulum. Just when it looked as though Malchus would win, the Gothonians threw their support behind Silvanus (who promised them land in various provinces). At the battle of Aquilea, Malchus was defeated by the combined forces of Silvanus and Atreus II. Malchus then commited suicide, leaving to become the next Emperor of Rome.

##########

Seems that things are starting to unravel...

Offering the Goths Roman territory in exchange for military support should be the beginning of the end...

I vote that a 3-way split would be an excellent idea. The central portion (the German territories, Italy, etc) should fall to the inevitable barbarians, while the western portion (Spain and, I assume, parts of Northern Africa), is vulnerable to the Islam-analogue. The east? Who knows?

Matt Quinn said:
Offering the Goths Roman territory in exchange for military support should be the beginning of the end...

I vote that a 3-way split would be an excellent idea. The central portion (the German territories, Italy, etc) should fall to the inevitable barbarians, while the western portion (Spain and, I assume, parts of Northern Africa), is vulnerable to the Islam-analogue. The east? Who knows?
I'd give you some details about what i'm gonna do, but I am soo drunk right now. GO PATS!!!

Diamond

Banned
DominusNovus said:
I'd give you some details about what i'm gonna do, but I am soo drunk right now. GO PATS!!!

Any team in the AFC East that's not the Dolphins is a bunch of dirtbags. :D

BTW, looking forward to more on the TL. :cool:

Diamond said:
Any team in the AFC East that's not the Dolphins is a bunch of dirtbags. :D

BTW, looking forward to more on the TL. :cool:
I don't know man, you just insulted my favorite team. :p
I will do this thing for you though, but in return... :D
Well, I'm actually just worried about the thread turning into a superbowl discuussion.

Have a map to play with. :)
Red is obviously the Roman Empire, and also includes any client states (no way I'm gonna take the time to add that much detail to it). The map doesn't include other states that are actually on the map, such as Saka and Gothonia, cuz I'm lazy. :D

heightrome.gif

Last edited:
Next update.

##########

Silvanus would rule Rome from AD 161 to AD 170. He was a brutally effective emperor who crushed those who opposed him and ruled the Empire with an Iron fist.

The least unpleasant aspect of his rule was the handling of the Gothonian allies. Silvanus was no fool and knew that there could be trouble if there were mass Gothonian settlements inside the Empire's borders. So, he offered them land, but only in relatively small plots, capable of supporting a few families. These plots were spread out across Europe, though most were east of the Albis. Atreus II and the other Gothonians weren't quite pleased with this, and Silvanus sent engineers to Gothonia to help the Gothonians build up their state, which placated Atreus. All in all, about 1/3 of the Gothonian people settled in the Roman Empire.

In the east, Silvanus faced the usual unrest, which had been simmering during the civil war. He spent much of his reign crushing the revolts and making examples of the rebels. Any rebellious city was totally depopulated upon capture. The population would be dispersed across the Empire. In most cases, families were broken up and settled vast distances away from each other. For some cities that did not resist too much, Silvanus showed a degree of mercy and allowed families to stay together. For the cities that resisted fiercely, anyone who wasn't crucified upon the capture was enslaved. Records indicated that populations of Anatolia and Achaea (where the majority of the rebellions occured) decreased by almost 20% during Silvanus' reign.

However, in the city of Rome itself, Silvanus was well liked and respected. Even the Senate that opposed his ascension thought well of him. However, Silvanus would ultimately die, fighting rebels in Adiabene. His death would plunge Rome into its second civil war in a decade.

##########

Thoughts?

Good job. Will the Goths take advantage of the second civil war to make trouble?

What about the Islam-analogue? Will it come around as the result of this civil war (as Islam kinda-sorta came around b/c of the Byzantine wars with Persia)?

Matt Quinn said:
Good job. Will the Goths take advantage of the second civil war to make trouble?

What about the Islam-analogue? Will it come around as the result of this civil war (as Islam kinda-sorta came around b/c of the Byzantine wars with Persia)?
Nah, the Goths are making out pretty well fighting as allies in these wars.

"Islam" is gonna come around later, and there'll be a big war involved. It'll be an East v West affair, but thats all I'll say right now.

Have another civil war, why don't ya?

##########

On one side was Gaius Cornelius Homullus, who was popular with the Senate and the central regions of the Empire, such as Italy, Greece, Anatolia, Syria, and Egypt. Opposing him was Secundus Amaticus Darius, who was popular with the eastern areas, such as Persia (his birthplace) and Mesopotamia, as well as in Gaul and Britannia. This civil war would drag out for much longer than the previous war, as neither side could gain an advantage over the other.

AD 170 would see Homullus winning at the battle of Lutetia. In 171, Darius would claim victory at Mediolanum, while Homullus would win at Lugdunum and Sirmium. During 172, Darius would win pyrrhic victories at Thessalonica, Ancryra,and Palmrya.

In that same year, the Parthian provinces would rebel, creating a pocket empire out of Parthia Superior and Inferior, Margiana, and Aria. Meanwhile, the Venedae began to raid into Carpia, Costobocia, and Roxolania. Both Darius and Homullus were too focused on defeating each other to give any time to either of these threats.

173 would see no major battles, except for a naval engagement at Alexandria, which both sides claimed as a victory (Darius destroyed almost all of Homullus' navy, but was prevented from making a landing and was turned away). The Parthians were sending diplomatic feelers to see if they could profit from allying with either general, though this lead to nothing. The Venedae continued to raid unchallenged into Roman territory, until the Gothonians stepped in.

Seeing an opportunity to expand, Atreus II attacked the Venedae, forcing them on the defensive. Though the incursions into Roman territory would continue into 174, this gave the neutral Roman garrisons time to recover and put up some semblance of defense.

The civil war would continue on through 175, with engagements at Cyrene, Seleucia Magna, Ecbatana, and Carthago. The Gothonians continued to press the Venedae and had already defeated most of the northern tribes.

The war finally ended in AD 176 when Homullus died of malaria. His forces, who were weary of the fighting, surrendered to Darius soon after, leaving him to become Emperor.

###########

Thoughts? Comments? Money?