Roman Timeline

Mikey said:
What sort of Calendar are the Romans in TTL are using?
Oh, for convenience's sake, we'll say that the months are the same (so all the original names and July and August). Days, those'll go by the Roman names, since I fail to see any reason for them to adopt a Norse standard for any of their days. But the day names will be fairly irrelevant, it'll be the months and years that matter. And since they are using a different dating system, its probably best to keep the months the same. :cool:

DominusNovus said:
No thoughts on my story? :(
I haven't read it all yet, but I like what I've read so far.
Bring it on.
Ah the thought of an everlasting empire/ republic just tickles my tiny teeny weeny heart.

Syphon said:
I haven't read it all yet, but I like what I've read so far.
Bring it on.
Ah the thought of an everlasting empire/ republic just tickles my tiny teeny weeny heart.
Thanks, but I was refering to the story in the writer's forum.

fortyseven said:
Are you planning to take it up to the present?
I'm going to take it up to the modern era, technologically. Which, by my estimates, will be somewhere in the twelfth century, give or take a century. After that, its gonna be scifi, with interstellar wars and all sorts of good stuff like that. :cool:

Mikey said:
Pretty good story. But I think that the 12th century is a little early for 20th century tech.
Why? We're only in the 4th century right now, and they're about on par with our early middle ages, in terms of technology, and vastly ahead of them in terms of organization and infrastructure. Remember, the entire old world is more connected now. Trade and idea are flowing from east to west and vice versa.

DominusNovus said:
Thanks, but I was refering to the story in the writer's forum.

Just read your story in the writer forum.

Seems ok, me thinks I need to read more of your TL to have a point of reference before I comment further.

I think I'll read some more of your TL now.

Here's another update guys.

#####
Compared with the dramatic Arabian Felix campaign the conquest of the Western Coast of Arabia would prove anticlimactic. Started in AD 354, the highlight of the campaign was the conquest of Yathrib (Medina), the most important city in the region, later that year. With the fall of Yathrib, most of the rest of the region capitulated, leaving mop up operations left. The region would be totally pacified and the Legions put to work fortifying it by the end of AD 356.

Western Arabia proved to be too easy a conquest for Brutus' liking. He wanted to keep the Legions as busy as possible and they were quite idle by AD 360. The Bedouins has long abandoned their incursions against the Legions and were getting by as best the could (which wasn't very well). The Imperial territories in Arabia had, by this point, been well fortified and their cities connected by good Roman roads, their ports expanded. In short, there was very little for the Legions to do. Brutus lost much sleep trying to figure out what to do.

Eventually, he decided to expand in the Caucasus. The Imperial border was roughly the southern Lesser Caucasus, and Brutus intended to expand it to the Greater Caucasus. Beyond that, the Alans, as part of the greater Hunnic confederation, had been pressing into the territories of the Legae and Siraces. These tribes, while not formally allied to the Empire, were valued partners in trade. With the intention of defending the tribes and creating client states to use as a buffer against other incursions, the Eastern Roman Empire began its campaign in AD 361.
#####

Ok, here's the situation. I'm starting over, after I'm done with my term paper. I feel I've got a much better grasp on the backround info now, and I can do the TL better. Things to look forward to:
  • More gradual expansion of Empire. Don't expect Parthia to fall in the early second century, or in one fell swoop.
  • More detail on technological progress. The agricultural revolution in TTL was such a Deus Ex Machina. I don't think I'm going to have too many advances before contact is made with China, allowing for an exchange of ideas. Windmills, probably, but thats it.
  • Speaking of China, more detail there. Perhaps with Hendryk's help? :cool:
  • Perhaps an actual name for the timeline? I'm open to suggestions.

G.Bone said:
I mean the words "Roman TL" in Latin.
Well, the closest I've come is (hoping my latin is right), "Saeculi Romani", or the Ages of Rome. Its got a ring to it.

My friend's gf is coming over to play poker, her latin's better than mine, I'll check with her.

BTW, any requests for things you guys would like included? I'm thinking of having a nice little west african state develop. Thoughts?

There are several stories about Roman Emperors Who appoint their political rivals as Commanders and Sub-Commanders of a Legion. Then order the Legion to bring back a Bottle of Water form the Granges Or Yellow Rivers, Or some Such. ?WI one of these Actually Made it to China, And Impressed the Chinese Emperor.?

In the early 3rd century the Romans were aware of the developing Ax-um Empire at the South end of the Red Sea. They signed a Treaty setting the south Border of the Roman Empire. Have one of your Emperors, Send Admiral 'Political Rival ' with his fleet South to find a Treaty partner on the West Coast. Several Years later he returns via the Red Sea Nile Portage, just in time to be the Hero Needed.