Roman Timeline

Sheesh. You guys might have noticed that I like to do my imperial updates, one per Emperor. Well, that works well when you don't have an Emperor that lives all that long. Well, I've got Brutus here reigning for 52 years. Anyway, here's his reign up to the mid 340s. BTW, I've been inspired by the Roman Commerical Revolution on SHWI, a fascinating read, from what I've gotten through so far (not much of it, actually).

#####

Secundus Julius Brutus would rule the Eastern Roman Empire from AD 327 to 379, and would go down in history as the Eastern Empire's greatest Emperor, as well as its first Zoroastrian Emperor. Though he was a mere 22 years of age upon assuming power (he was, after all, only second in line to the throne), he proved to be capable in virtually ever enterprise he undertook. He officially halted the persecution of the Christians. He sponsored a great many developments to the economy. He also expanded the Empire to new lands, something no Emperor had done in generations.

Brutus solved the "Christian problem" of the Empire by a very effective compromise. On the one hand, most of the Christian citizens were perfectly law abiding, good Roman citizens. On the other hand, they were reviled by the predominately Pagan and Zoroastrian elite of the Empire. Plus, their teachings usually were interpreted (not necessarily by the Christians) to be anti-Roman. Brutus simply levied an additional tax on Christians. If they paid the tax, they were displaying their loyalty to the Empire, which diffused the main argument their opponents had against them. Still, they were opposed, so Brutus made it hard for them to proselytize. They could still do their good works and care for others, in an effort to convert them, but actually discussing their beliefs was illegal, except in certain locations (Churches, their own private homes, and a few other specific locations). This seemed to appease everyone, and Christians gradually registered for the tax (many were hesitant, out of fear that the Empire were just trying to figure out where they all were), especially after it was apparent that Brutus had no qualms about punishing those that hadn't.

Brutus was among the first in the Empire to recognize the rise of the Banking Clans. A few individuals had begun to take deposits for the elite as security. They then began to branch out into insuring various ventures, usually trading expeditions. From there, they started to invest into such ventures directly, using their banking funds. These combined practices resulted in fabulous wealth for the Bankers (who, in typical Roman fashion, organized along familial lines) and their clients. Brutus decided that these Clans could either be an invaluable ally to the State. He began to include the most elite of the bankers in his inner circle. With their advice, he began to institute reforms to the Empire.

First, the day to day banking of the Military was entrusted to various bankers, to provide a certain amount of stability and protection against civil war. The Legions, after all, would have a stake in the Clans and their investments, and causing any problems would threaten that. Brutus also instituted a form of paper money and an elaborate system of Notary Publics to protect against counterfeiting. Brutus also sent out a vast number of trading expeditions, many more than any prior Emperor. He was able to send out more than his predecessors due to most of the expeditions being joint ventures between the Banking Clans and the Empire. Trading posts were reestablished far and wide, from the western coast of Africa to South East Asia.

Besides just trading posts, Brutus expanded the Empire's influence the old fashioned way. His main motivation was to keep the Legions occupied, as he knew all too well the cost of letting them sit idle. His first campaign was directed at the former Persian Satrapy of Mazun, along the Persian Gulf Coast of Arabia (modern day UAE and Oman), in AD 334. The campaign was well executed, and there was little effective resistance. Within a year, the entire region was secured. The coastal cities submitted to the conquest relatively easily due to their fear of the desert Bedouins, who had stepped up their raiding in recent years (in fact, this was a partial pretext for the invasion.

With the Bedouin threat, the Empire was provided with a relatively simple way to keep the Legions busy. Brutus assigned the in the region to a cycle of duties. The first assignment defensive work, guarding the new conquest and building fortifications, the exact kind of work the Legions hated the most (soldiers would vie for positions immune to construction duties). Then, when they were desperate for a change of pace, they would be conduct operations against the bedouins. Afterward, they'd be assigned to a comparatively nice position in the Empire, with another Legion filling in their place. This method worked extremely well. So well that the bedouins gave up on attacking the fortified coastal cities, and withdrew from the eastern regions of Arabia, out of the Empire's reach (as the Legions were woefully unskilled at desert operations on their own).

By 342, Brutus realized that the Legions weren't really doing much again. At this point, he decided to acquire the rich trading region of Arabia Felix (modern day Yemen) [http://www.livius.org/a/1/maps/arabia_map.gif]. Around this time, the kingdom of Hadramaut was at war with the kingdom of Qataban, to its west. Seeing an opportunity, Brutus offered to make Hadramaut a client kingdom of the Empire, in return for an alliance against Qataban. The Hadramautians accepted the offer, and, the Empire sent its Legions to the aid of their new ally. The port city of Qana', Hadramaut's major port, had already been captured by Qataban, so the Romans proceeded to assault the city. Of course, as could be expected, the city was liberated by the Romans, who then proceeded to march on the Qataban capital of Timna. By the end of 344, the city had fallen and its king captured. Hadramaut was safe and the Eastern Roman Empire had a foothold in Southern Arabia.

#####

Hendryk

Banned
DominusNovus:
For the first time since I joined this forum, I've taken the time to read all of your ATL. Two words: very impressive!
I'm sorry I wasn't around earlier on when you needed information on China. Hope I can make it up from now on.

Hendryk said:
DominusNovus:
For the first time since I joined this forum, I've taken the time to read all of your ATL. Two words: very impressive!
I'm sorry I wasn't around earlier on when you needed information on China. Hope I can make it up from now on.

Thanks kind words. No need to worry about not being around earlier. I haven't really done anything in detail anyway, just that they've expanded. Any thoughts on what we can do with the East?

Alright, here's some more of the exploits in Arabia.

#####

With Hadramaut a client state and Qataban under Roman occupation, the states of Ma'in, Saba, and Himyar remained to be conquered. Ma'in, the northernmost, was a city state that had grown prosperous controlling the incense trade. Saba and Himyar, which had gained its independence from Saba centuries ago, had been competing against each other for almost as long. As Himyar seemed to be winning, Brutus offered an alliance against them to Saba. The Sabaeans were eager to accept, and the Empire went to war against Himyar in AD 346. Saba directed its energies towards Himyar's capital of Zafar, while Brutus' Legions focused on the port cities, such as Aden. The war was short and, by the end of 346, the king of Himyar surrendered to the Empire. Brutus allowed Saba to take Zafar, while the Empire annexed the coastal regions and their valuable ports.

However, the Sabaens now looked to conquer Ma'in. Brutus wasn't interested in allowing this to happen, as he had plans of eventually conquering the region himself. So, in AD 348, the Eastern Roman Empire made an alliance with the city state of Ma'in against Saba. The Sabaeans were caught off guard, and quickly lost their new conquest of Zafar to the Romans. However, they would not fall as easily as their neighbors. They sent emissaries to Hadramaut, convincing them that they, too, would likely be betrayed and attacked and that now was their best chance to secure their independence. This was, of course, the most likely outcome, so Hadramaut allied itself with Saba.

This alliance bought Saba precious time, as Hadramaut ports were vital to the logistics of the Roman campaign. The crucial port of Qana' didn't fall until AD 349, which set back the Roman timetable by several months. In this time, the Sabaeans had managed to procure the aid of several Bedouin tribes against the Romans, most notably the Lakhmids (a Christian tribe [as in OTL] who utterly despised the Eastern Roman Empire for their traditional treatment of Christians and . As the main Roman invasion force marched on Sabwa, they were ambushed by a joint force of Bedouins, Hadramautians, and Sabaens. It would have been a total rout, had several Sabaean regiments not decided to attack the Roman Baggage train, going against the battle plan, allowing the Romans to break out and retreat in an orderly fashion (the Sabaeans who broke formation ended up bearing the brunt of the Romans, so justice ended up being served).

After regrouping, the Romans marched again on Sabwa, taking the city in 350. The Sabaeans had meanwhile retaken Zafar and were threatening both Ma'in and Timna. Despite their position, their plan had been working as best as it could so far. They had bought themselves two years and were currently expanding. Ma'in would fall later that year to the Sabaeans and Bedouins. Timna, on the other hand, would not, as the Romans arrived in time to save the city. The Legions then marched on Marib, the Sabaean capital, with a secondary force heading towards Zafar. Both cities fell to the Romans in AD 351, leaving the Sabaeans virtually defeated. The last resistance was crushed in the following year, while Ma'in was liberated.

Brutus decided to divide the region in two. The coastal regions were organized as a province of the empire, while the interior highlands were to become a client state, called the Kingdom of Arabia Felix Interior. This state was ruled from Marib, the former Sabaean capital, by Khaliz al-Sa'id, the former king of Himyar. Brutus put him on the throne as an insult to the Sabaeans. He was assisted by a council of the former leaders of Ma'in, who had been conquered by the Sabaens and were incorporated into the new kingdom. While Arabia Felix was nominally independent, they relied on the Imperial Legions for defense, as they maintained the border fortresses (which, of course, were under construction to keep the Legions busy) against the desert nomads.

#####

We've got a pretty interesting situation here. Its probably not much of a suprise to you guys that I'm going to wrap up the conquests with Mecca and Yathrib (the pre islamic name for Medina) in the next installment. Anyway, this leaves us with Arabia mostly under Eastern Roman rule. The Persian coastal region will be fairly loyal and stable. Arabia Felix is going to chafe under Imperial rule, but will tolerate it because of the increased prosperity in their trading networks. I've not decided how western Arabia will behave. Of course, the interior will be a roiling swarm of zealously pissed off Bedouins, who are being slowly smothered and surrounded by the Empire.

Plus, we've got the Ghassanids, who would in OTL, be making the move from Arabia Felix to northern Arabia (if my barebones knowledge of Arabic history is correct), to become Byzantine allies. Not sure where they're gonna fit in all this, I want them to be semi-major players. Its just occured to me that I could have them occupying the Hedjaz (is that term stricly an Islamic term, or was it used prior to Mohammad?). We'll see.

Anyway, this is the enviroment that will lead to Alskander. Figured I'd give you a tease. :cool: Speaking of him, we need some cool title for him, since Prophet doesn't quite fit.

Last edited:
"Prophet" seems a bit much, but then, many modern religious groups (such as the Mormons) believe their founders to be prophets. However, it's also too near OTL.

"Alskander the Revelator" (like John the Revelator, author of Revelation)? Or perhaps "Alskander the Enlightened" (some Eastern stuff in that title there)?

Matt Quinn said:
"Prophet" seems a bit much, but then, many modern religious groups (such as the Mormons) believe their founders to be prophets. However, it's also too near OTL.

"Alskander the Revelator" (like John the Revelator, author of Revelation)? Or perhaps "Alskander the Enlightened" (some Eastern stuff in that title there)?

Enlightened is good. Revelator sounds pretty cool. Whatya guys think of the update itself, btw? ;)

According to some history I've read, the Arabs had better military tactics than the peoples around them, but they lacked organization and leadership. Enter Mohammed and Islam, and voila, they've got 'em. After Mohammed's death, they proceed to conquer half of the Mediterranean world.

I think they might do better against the Romans, especially as you've said, the Legions aren't so good in the desert. Now, I imagine the Romans, with the aid of their client states, have adapted somewhat, plus they've got sheer weight of #s on their side.

Of course, you do have the war lasting two-plus years, so it's not a total walkover, and there are still a butt-load of "zealously pissed-of[f] Bedouin" roaming about, so I'd expect things get REALLY hairy for the Romans.

When will we get to the Gnostic Khazars?

Matt Quinn said:
I think they might do better against the Romans, especially as you've said, the Legions aren't so good in the desert. Now, I imagine the Romans, with the aid of their client states, have adapted somewhat, plus they've got sheer weight of #s on their side.
Well, when we're talking about Romans here, we're basicly talking about Persians, just with Roman trappings. The Romans (and, to a lesser extent, the Greeks) are in charge, and then the rest. However, the Persian-ness of the region is starting to show through. Notice that Brutus is Zoroastrian. His brother was named Kasra, a Persian name.

Anyway, these guys are more used to desert climates and the like. Besides, Arabia Felix isn't all that bad. Its the desert, the homeland of the Bedouins, that Romans aren't gonna touch.

Matt Quinn said:
Of course, you do have the war lasting two-plus years, so it's not a total walkover, and there are still a butt-load of "zealously pissed-of[f] Bedouin" roaming about, so I'd expect things get REALLY hairy for the Romans.
Remember, these are pretty small states who were squabbling, it was just the cleverness of the Sabaeans that drew out the war. The other wars were a year or less. The Romans will hold onto things fairly well for the near future. Most of the Legions spend most of their time building fortifications, so, as long as the Empire's stable, their pretty secure, even if they have to deal with the annoying Bedouins.

But, lets look at the situation I've written myself into:
The Empire is prospering. Under a Christian friendly Zoroastrian. Now, in all likelyhood, his succesor is gonna suck. Thats what usually happens when you have a world class ruler. Their heir falls beneath their shadow, and ends up just enjoying the good life. I imagine he'll just let the ministers run the empire and devote his life to pleasure. They'll do a good job, in all likelyhood, since they were mostly appointed by Brutus. Past this generation though, I expect things to unravel. I also expect the dormant anti-Christianism to rear its head again. Plus, I'm directing some barbarians to the area at the time, to make things harder.

In other words, the point where the Eastern Roman Empire's fortunes go south, coincides with the point where they start to repress the Christians again...

And, you've got a bunch of Christian nomads, who could probably kick the Empire's ass, if only they had a leader. And they're bearing a grudge. And they can control the Spice trade. :cool:

The Spice must flow.

Matt Quinn said:
When will we get to the Gnostic Khazars?

Patience young one. They're still wondering around the steppes. My maps don't show them in the west until after 500.

Do you have any plan on reuniting the entire Roman world or will it remain eternally divided. Also, what role does Rome play in the world.

Oh, by the way great job.

Pendragon said:
Do you have any plan on reuniting the entire Roman world or will it remain eternally divided.
Once the Eastern Roman Empire falls, the Romans won't be going back to Persia. The only way I see it happening is in the Interstellar Age.

Pendragon said:
Also, what role does Rome play in the world.
Rome is the capital of the Roman Republic, basicly confined to Italy and its outlying islands, Austria, and southeastern France.

Pendragon said:
Oh, by the way great job.
Thank you.

In other news, I'm probably gonna have the people of this TL refer to the Africa the Continent as Azaria. Azaria was used to refer basicly to southeastern Africa, while Africa was originally just Tunisia. Considering that the Eastern Empire was fooling around along the coasts, they're gonna call it something, so they'd probably just expand the territory considered Azaria.

Dominus,

I thought the Eastern Roman Empire wasn't going to "fall" per se, but be taken over and radically altered by Alskander and his associates. The Imperial mode of government will still continue, right?

Matt Quinn said:
Dominus,

I thought the Eastern Roman Empire wasn't going to "fall" per se, but be taken over and radically altered by Alskander and his associates. The Imperial mode of government will still continue, right?
Correct. It'll be an Empire, it just won't call itself Roman. Basicly, I'm looking at this scenario:

Alskander will be a member of an influential (christian) arab family, with close ties to the reigning emperor. A coup is launch against said emperor, with the conspirators purging the court.

Alskander flees, has some revelations, and starts teaching his brand of Christianity to the bedouins. Meanwhile, the Empire is virtually imploding. With the bedouins on his side, Alskander takes Arabia, and then takes the Empire. The new emperor is killed, and Alskander marries his widow, who's also the daughter of the Emperor that was deposed when Alskander was young. This gives him some added legitimacy. Then, he starts doing his thing with the Empire.

Just to show that this isn't dead, I figured I'd share with you some of my ideas on the Alskandrian Church Doctrine:

- As said before, its a Christian Church with Zoroastrian influences.
- Satan is an agent of God, as in the book of Job, whose purpose is to test us through temptation.
- Ahriman is, as in Zoroastrianism, the evil counter to God. I'm thinking of having an evil Trinity to counter the good trinity of God, Jesus, and Holy Spirit (assuming I decide to have Alskandrianism be a Trinitarian Church). If there's an evil counter to Jesus, he'll probably be prophesized to come in the future, and usher in the Final Battle between Good and Evil. Or something like that.
- Possibly associating Jesus and Mithras with each other.
- I'm toying with them saying that Judas didn't kill himself and sought forgiveness. He might then be said to go to Arabia and preach among the nomads. I'm still going to say that the actual sequence of events will be that he commits suicide. But we could always say that another Judas went to preach to the Bedouins.
- Polygamy will be allowed.

Thats pretty much it, any other ideas?

Also, I've got a few ideas for my Gnostic Khazar sect, but I can only remember one right now:

-For their communion, they will not eat bread, but apples (or maybe both), to represent the Apple that Adam and Eve ate, giving them knowledge (gnosis, of course). This will have the side effect that the Khazars will be known for having very good apples. :D (I love apples)

I like this TL.

One sort of Calendar are the Romans in TTL are using? Meaning what are the various month and day names? Wikiepdia has a nice page detailing the Roman Calendar. Here's a Wikipedia article about various names Roman Emperors gave months.