Roman Provinces Flags? Help needed

Hi,

I want to create a scenario where the Roman Empire continues to this day. I want to create flags for all provinces of the Empire under Traianus, where it reached its maximum territorial size. However I'm a bit stuck. It doesn't need to be super accurate, for this scenario I want to focus on football, to be honest. It's just I want to have a nice set up of the flags.

Any ideas? Thanks a lot!

What's the provinces?

It is indeed important question what are these provinces and what are borders of Roman Empire. These hardly can be exactly same what were during Traian's reign. It would be ASB that borders have remained same nearby 2000 years.

It is indeed important question what are these provinces and what are borders of Roman Empire. These hardly can be exactly same what were during Traian's reign. It would be ASB that borders have remained same nearby 2000 years.
100% it's ASB, no doubt about that. But I want to do some scenario in in the 20th century, these provinces have their own football league each and then compete in a yearly tournament. That's why I think it's cooler if I do it with the most amount of provinces. They can even be separate countries nowadays, with different religions/cultures and the Empire is just a 'EU' type of government... I'm not very concerned about that to be honest.

Here are some provinces, more or less accurate. But I can't find any flag from any of these provinces from that time. I wouldn't mind adapting something from that time, but there is nothing I can't base them on... So I'm not sure. I would like them to have a common feeling, if you know what I mean. Any ideas?

Mapa_Imperio_romano_Trajano_117_d.C.png

Last edited:
On that time wasn't flags on same meaning as nowadays.

But some ideas:

Judea: Blue flag with Menorah.
Egypt: Perhaps flag with Ankh or Eye of Horus.
Britannia: Green flag with some Celtic symbol.
Italia: Perhaps add wolf on the flag.
Macedonia: Flag with Vergina Sun (old symbol of Argead Dynasty).

But for other provinces I have not any ideas.

Rome didn't have flags as we know them today. Flags as we know them, as in symbols to signify a place, only emerged in the late middle ages. Prior to that flags were mostly used for battlefield communication on a regiment-to-regiment basis, or to signify certain statuses among ships in a fleet.

Roman vexillum, while serving as the origin of the term vexillology (the study of flags), were focused on having a symbol for each regiment, using various colors and symbols; the classic SPQR on red is only one known vexillum was never a unified Roman symbol.

So honestly... Just go ham. Come up with your own flag conventions, your own designs. There is nothing to base this on.

If you want to follow Roman vexillum tradition, a mixture of important regional animals and text on a colored field is your best bet.

On that time wasn't flags on same meaning as nowadays.

But some ideas:

Judea: Blue flag with Menorah.
Egypt: Perhaps flag with Ankh or Eye of Horus.
Britannia: Green flag with some Celtic symbol.
Italia: Perhaps add wolf on the flag.
Macedonia: Flag with Vergina Sun (old symbol of Argead Dynasty).

But for other provinces I have not any ideas.
Rome didn't have flags as we know them today. Flags as we know them, as in symbols to signify a place, only emerged in the late middle ages. Prior to that flags were mostly used for battlefield communication on a regiment-to-regiment basis, or to signify certain statuses among ships in a fleet.

Roman vexillum, while serving as the origin of the term vexillology (the study of flags), were focused on having a symbol for each regiment, using various colors and symbols; the classic SPQR on red is only one known vexillum was never a unified Roman symbol.

So honestly... Just go ham. Come up with your own flag conventions, your own designs. There is nothing to base this on.

If you want to follow Roman vexillum tradition, a mixture of important regional animals and text on a colored field is your best bet.

Thanks both :) Will see what comes up then