Roman Empire TODAY!!!

Hashemite

Banned
I started a CSA Today thread which was a good success I think. While in the Roman city of Jerash in Jordan, I wondered how the Roman Empire would be today. I mean by this culture, borders, government, etc...

Maps would be nice too...

It depends on what you mean by the Roman Empire, the small territory around Constantinople in A.D. 1453 was the Roman Empire. I'll assume, however, that you mean the Empire before the fall of the West in A.D. 476. I doubt its borders would have changed by much if at all. It would still probably be a superpower, competing perhaps with Persia (controlled by Arabs?) and China.

ThePharaoh said:
I started a CSA Today thread which was a good success I think. While in the Roman city of Jerash in Jordan, I wondered how the Roman Empire would be today. I mean by this culture, borders, government, etc...

Maps would be nice too...
“Roman Empire” means different things to different people. Must westerners would probably think of the Old Unified or Western Roman Empire, but the Eastern Roman or Byzantine Empire lasted a lot longer then that. Different groups have also taken the mantle on for themselves, for example the Germans with the Holy Roman Empire, and to some degree Russia with its title of “Third Rome”. The Ottomans also clamed decent from the Romans via their conquest of Byzantium.

The Byzantine Empire, if it had somehow survived today might look somewhat like modern Greece culturally (Probably a bit stronger politically however)

If history in the last few hundred years or so went differently then Germany might have been called the Holy Roman Empire today. (Probably not what your looking for however…)

The Western Empire was extinguished so long ago that saying what it might look like today would be a hard thing to do.
(possibly something like France, Italy or Spain however)

Rome today is the most powerful nation on Earth, with the Chinese lagging in a distant second. The expansion of the empire into Ireland, Canada, and America added a good amount of land, but the capture of Germany from the barbarians was a great advancement. The barbarians live the same way they did in 117 AD, except with handguns and outhouses. The Bantu have an empire in Africa, and the Native American tribes have various confederacy's in western Canada and America. The tech level for the developed nations is about 1950 OTL.

Evil Opus said:
Rome today is the most powerful nation on Earth, with the Chinese lagging in a distant second. The expansion of the empire into Ireland, Canada, and America added a good amount of land, but the capture of Germany from the barbarians was a great advancement. The barbarians live the same way they did in 117 AD, except with handguns and outhouses. The Bantu have an empire in Africa, and the Native American tribes have various confederacy's in western Canada and America. The tech level for the developed nations is about 1950 OTL.

Sounds pretty good, but I'm guessing this is assuming that the Library of Alexander was burned down. The government might be more democratic, if the conditions arose that create democracy. The borders would probably extend to Persia, and maybe into Germanica. I don't know about America, but I suppose they could expand there later, if they figure out a way to solve their communication problems