Roman Eastern Europe - What would it be called?

(Apologies if I'm doing something wrong, I'm completely new to this forum but I thought this was a good place to put this question).

Right now I'm playing a Europa Universalis IV game as the restored Roman Empire. I have Poland in a Union under me, currently annexing them and when I'm done I'd like to make a client state in not only Poland/Lithuania but also the rest of Eastern Europe.
What would be a good name for it?

Yeah, that is such a vast expanse of land that the Romans would likely have names for each region - Sarmatia for the Steppe, Varangia/Russia for the Russian/Belorussian woodlands, Lithua (or a greek term for Lithuania) for the Baltic coast. But for all of it? Grand Rus - which does sort of exclude the Steppe.

The Byzantines historically brought the region under their cultural influence as Kiev, I can see Kiev being set up as the capital of such a client state - The Grand Rus, or Kiev are both sensible names, and could easily have Poland slipped in under their remit. Moscovy is too far away, and they'd rather bring the power base of their client state closer to Constantinople.

Then again, whilst not EU4 convinient, I imagine the Romans, if they had Poland, Lithuania (and later Russia) under their control, would likely have a vassal King in Kiev and another in Sandomierz (not Krakow, I'll explain in a second) - and since they encircle Hungary, they'd be pressuring Hungary or invading - whilst bringing Wallachia & Moldavia under direct control, and expanding the Dnieper, Dniester, the San, and (if affluent), build a canal between the Dniester and the San - ensuring that at least in the summer months, there is a direct logistics route between Constantinople and the capitals of the client states - dragging them into the Roman economic sphere. (An alternative is something like the Augustow Canal, but I dislike that route).

But an overall name? If you have Europa, Asia, Africa, etc - you might well refer to Poland, Russia, Scandinavia, etc as "Hyperborea". :p

However, using the Latin names? - Ruthenia (Russia/Ukraine/Belarus), Sarmatia (Eastern Europe, Poland, Ukraine, Russia), Lechia/Polonia (Poland).

If you like something based on historical Roman registers, I'd go with Venetia. However, it'd be easily mistaken with the city of Venice.

Maybe Pannonia Superior, Dacia Superior, Ostro Germania, Varangia, Sarmatia Inferior, Sarmatia superior, Aestica.

Someone needs to write a timeline where the Roman's control everything east of the Rhine to the Volga I would most definitely read it.

(Apologies if I'm doing something wrong, I'm completely new to this forum but I thought this was a good place to put this question).

Right now I'm playing a Europa Universalis IV game as the restored Roman Empire. I have Poland in a Union under me, currently annexing them and when I'm done I'd like to make a client state in not only Poland/Lithuania but also the rest of Eastern Europe.
Why bother annexing them if you are just gonna make them a client state?

Why bother annexing them if you are just gonna make them a client state?
I have more control over Client States than personal unions, plus I'd lose them if I didn't integrate them since I'm hoping for a Revolution to start which would make me lose my monarchy and thereby the union.

Thanks for all the answers, I think I'll go with Ruthenia and Polonia Magna.

If you like something based on historical Roman registers, I'd go with Venetia. However, it'd be easily mistaken with the city of Venice.
Just call them Venedi, like Plinius and Tacitus did, and you got Venedia, because Venetia is aleady one of the 12 augustean regions in North-East Italy. Venedia is north of Sarmatia, south of Estia (aka Hestia, Aestia) and east of Germania ulterior, which is the most eastern german province up to the Vistula.

Simple like that.

PS: Another logical and very roman way would be Sarmatia inferior. North of Sarmatia superior. Also Transvistula is an option, even if a bit lame.

Terms like Polonia were not known in ancient times.

Last edited:

Scythia Magna