Roma Renovata est: A Roman TL

The Fate of Geiseric's Other Sons

• They are captured by Majorian

Votes: 208 68.0%
  • They escape to the Vandal occupied islands

Votes: 98 32.0%

• Total voters
Oh absolutely, religious division had been a problem for a while in the East, especially when the monophysites. For now, Arcadius needs to buy himself space and time for his rivals whilst he is still a minor, so he is choosing competent soldiers and administration with loyalty to him, and Anastasius is the best option he has right now, at least in regard to administration.

i read this TL up to this point and i enjoyed it especially when majorian crushed ricimers revolt and gave the german rat what he should have gotten in OTL. and i can't wait for the next chapter to see how majorian deals with ballio luccius. i also have a question: is there a chance that either sidonius apolinaris or ecdicius (emperor avitus' son) will make an appearance? it would be interesting to see what sidonius has been doing considering majorian is still alive.
Sorry I haven't commented on your post, i has been a busy time for me. Glad you've enjoyed it so far. Ballio won't be dealt with yet, that journey is only beginning.

As for Sidonius or Avitus' children, it is certainly a possibility. Sidonius will likely make an appearance in the TL. As for the Children of Avitus, I cannot say for sure.

Oh absolutely, religious division had been a problem for a while in the East, especially when the monophysites. For now, Arcadius needs to buy himself space and time for his rivals whilst he is still a minor, so he is choosing competent soldiers and administration with loyalty to him, and Anastasius is the best option he has right now, at least in regard to administration.
The west being around means that Chalcedonian thought is by far the vast majority of citizens, so maybe there's less concern over the Monophosites being a major threat. Therefore, the imperial leadership could be more... pliable in their religious tolerance, given there's less chance for the heresy to overcome orthodoxy (and the other way around for the monophysites)

I loved the latest chapter. One nitpick: why is Lucius spelt with two 'c's?
Don't fully remember. It was probably initially a typo. That said I've stuck with it because A. There are individuals with the double c in their name and B. I like to think of it as a way to tell that while he is now a Roman citizen, he not considered a true Roman.

64: The Speech
A/N: Hello everyone, it's been yet another hiatus for me, but I'm back with another Chapter. This will be something shorter to tide people over as I work on writing the next Chapter. But this is no less important. I hope you all enjoy this little stop-gap.

The Speech

The following is a tale told in many a history, though whether it is true or not is a question that has been discussed for decades, a question that is discussed and debated heavily to this very day...

One night during Honorius' early tenure, it was said he sat down with Luccius by the campfire. It was a starless night and most of the soldiers had already settled down for the night, only a few still awake by their fires. During the late hours of the night, on one of the late nights of the year, Honorius had finally gathered up the courage to ask the older boy about and issue that had been pressing upon the child for a long time.

Sitting on old, dry logs under the pitch black sky, Honorius asked his question.

"Why do you not like me?"

This drew the attention of the young man, who's gaze moved away from the flames for the first time in almost an hour.

Honorius continued, "I consider you something of my older brother, someone I look up to, someone I want to be like. But every time I try to do anything with you, you always look so resentful of me, like you hate me? What did I do to make you hate me?" The boy asked in a sombre tone.

Luccius took a moment to reflect before he answered, his eyes weary yet still, "Your face. You look like your dad too much."

Honorius looked up at the older boy, "My dad? What does my dad have to do with this?"

"...Nevermind, forget what I said" Luccius answered hastily.

Silence fell over the two, choking the atmosphere in a thick fog of tension and awkwardness. It was Luccius that decided to break the silence, asking a question of his own. "Why do insist on being around me? Why do insist on clinging to me like some sort of dog?"

Honorius was surprised that Luccius would ask a question like that, "W-What do you-" he stammered, before Lucius cut him off.

"You know what I mean." Luccius declared decisively, "You have a family to turn to. A father, a mother, even an older brother. So why do you continue to insist on clinging to me?"

Honorius shrunk back a bit as he answered dourly, "I know, but-"

Luccius kept his gaze on Honorius, waiting for an answer.

"But I can never talk to father, he's always so busy with work, with "Trying to keep the pieces together", mother mostly focuses on Julia these days, and Theo-"

Honorius paused, taking a moment to collect himself before he continued speaking, "Theo might be older than me, but most of the time, I feel as if I have to be the older brother, that I have to protect him from others, because he can't even protect himself, that I have to support him and be there for his emotions and his problems," by this point, the tears had really began to well up behind Honorius' eyes, "I just want someone who will listen to me, who will tell me it's OK."

Luccius, for the first time in a long time, was truly taken aback. Not much phased him, not after all that he had already done and experienced. But here he was faced with a truth he had had yet to deal with. For so long, he had viewed Honorius as little more than a spoiled prince, a boy that have been handed luxury because of his birth. For the first time, Luccius saw something new in the boy, yet something so familiar at the same time.

He saw a scared, crying child.

After a moment of contemplation, the only sound being Honorius' barely contained sobs, the soldier asked another question. "What are your views on God?"

This seemingly odd question shook Honorius from his sadness immediately, "God?"

"Yes, God." Luccius repeated.

Honorius thought carefully about what he wanted to say. In truth, he was neither inclined towards Paganism or Christianity at this stage in his life, not having been raised with the same levels of forced devotion to the church as his mother had, a decision by his father as an effort to continue and reconcile the old Pagan tradition with the new Christian one. That said, he knew religion was a sensitive subject for many, so he wanted to be careful about what he said.

"God is... God is good, God wants to make sure we make our own paths in life and do what we feel is right." Honorius responded in almost rehearsed fashion.

Luccius didn't buy it for a second. "Is that what you really think? Or is that what you've been told to think?"

Honorius was too embarrassed to respond.

Sighing, Luccius asked yet another question, "Do you want to know what I think of God?"

Again, Honorius stayed silent.

"I think God test us, wants to see what we'll do, what role he can make us play in the game of life. He may care, for some of us at least. He may have mercy, even compassion, for those he deems worthy of it, for those he favours. But for other, he shows his darker side, his cruelty, his ego, his bloodlust.

Some he wants to be the hero, to overcome struggle, or to not struggle at all. They are his hope, his drive manifested upon our land, there to make that land a better place than it was found, according to his designs. They are the ones given a chance, given all they'll ever need to succeed in life, the ones with everything.

Others, he wants to be the villain. The ones who's only interaction with his divine wisdom is having their homes burned to ash, and their families burned along with it. The ones who can only bring destruction and death, because it is all they've ever known. The gentle hand of a mother, the inspiration and aspiration of a father, they are all but distant memory to these people. They are the ones given nothing they don't take for themselves, they are his wroth and hatred upon the lands they encounter. They were put in the story of life to burn everything to ash, just like the homes they knew so long ago.

Whether I am hero or villain, I know not. I would like to say I am a hero, yet I know I am likely not.

I do know one thing, that I am God's vengeance, that I was put upon the earth to destroy those that seek domination, and those that stand against me.

So be it.

If that's what I must be, then that is what I am. I am the Vengeance of God. I am his Justice.

I am God's Black Heart, and I will purge this world of those that seek to use this world for their own selfish conquests."

He leaned forward as he addressed Honorius directly, "So, my liege, do you think I, of all people, am someone worthy of any kind of reverence?"

Honorius stayed silent.

Luccius stood up, grabbing a cup of stale water that he tossed over the fire to put it out.

"You won't tell anyone of the conversation we had tonight?"

Honorius shook his head.

"Get some rest, you look tired." Were the last words he said to Honorius as he walked back into his tent.

Last edited:
65: Last of his Kind
A/N: Hello Everyone! Did you expect me to write this so soon after the last one? Probably not. But I'm here to bring you another Chapter, as we enter the end of Part 1 of Roma Renovata est.

Last of his kind

476 AD

As the 476th year since the birth of Christ, and the 1229th year since the founding of Rome rolled in, not much seemed as if it would be important about this year, at least not for the West. Emperor Majorian had seen 18 previous years of rule, as he had reigned since 457 as Emperor, now heading into his 19th.

He had seen many challenges, from the Visigoth and Suebi he beat in Hispania, the Burgundians he retook Lugdunum from, and the Vandal, which he conquered outright to avenge the 455 sack of Rome, to the insurrections of Ferox Hispaniensis and Ricimer. It had been a long road, but Majorian had established himself as the one true master of Rome. For the first time, since Theodosius, perhaps even since Valentinian I, the Emperor of the West was a title that carried authority, a prestigious title for more than merely puppets.

But though he had done this, and done it well, Majorian could only feel tired by it all. Everyone of his colleagues and friends were either dead, in retirement, or soon to be heading down either path. He was the last one standing, the last of his generation left. The last of his kind.

Those that had replaced his generation, that now began filing into the ranks of the army and the senate alike did not know the troubles Rome had gone through to reach this stage in it’s life. That wasn’t to say they knew a peaceful Rome, but many grew up with a stable Rome, a Rome that looked like it could last, at least for a while. For much of decade proceeding it, and even for some of his own reign, it felt as if Rome was only a few mistakes away from crumbling to dust, the barbarians at the gates.

As he reflected on his life and all the choices and decisions he had made across his 56 years of life, he reflected on the future. Theodosius was still a boy, only turning 14 in that year. To add to that, the boy was also a very timid, introvert kind of person, preferring the company of a book to a person. He still had a long way to go before he would be a worthy successor to Majorian’s legacy.

Majorian hoped that the boy would develop into a mature, capable young man. He had to potential, he just had to be able to break out of his shell enough for people to listen to him, not try to control him. With his deteriorating health, he knew his time was limited. He hoped to see Theodosius’ 18th birthday, but getting past 60 was becoming increasingly unlikely.

Majorian knew Theodosius would not be alone however. He would still have Honorius by his side, and the ascendant generals, like Gaudentius, Gaullus, Soranus, and all their relatives and children at his back. He just had to hope that it would be enough.

The year in the East was still mostly peaceful, though tensions were beginning to brew between the three sides of Arcadius, Patricius and Zeno. Keeping things peaceful for the time being was the threat that if either Patricius or Zeno moved to openly act against Arcadius, that they would be met with both the Eastern and Western armies, which combined, would most likely crust what ever support either rival could gather. As a result, peace persisted for the year.

But that did not calm Arcadius, he was very aware of the threats to his power by both Patricius and Zeno. Whatever he could do to keep either threat on a tight leash he made sure to take, such as granting Aspar (the real power behind Patricius) a prominent position as Magister Militum per Thracia.

He decided to adopt Majorian’s system of Magister Militum being essentially evolved versions of the Republic and Early Empires regional general when reorganising the systems of the East, into what can best be described as a prototype for the Themata system. As such, individual Magister Militum’s had less authority and thus less ability to control emperors as they did previously. But even if he wanted his enemies close, he didn’t want them too close, so he appointed Anthemius as his Magister Militum per Constantinople, acting as a shield against his rivals in case they decided to attack from either Europe or Asia.

Of course, since he was not yet of age, most of these orders were provided either through his mother Verina, or though Anthemius. Nonetheless, they would serve to keep the piece for the time being. For the time being.

Back in the West, much of 476 was a struggle for Honorius. He was shook from his conversation with Luccius at the end of 475 and would spend the next decade bidding the details of that conversation from his fellow Roman. Gradually, he rebuilt his relationship with Luccius. Luccius for his part, was less angry with Honorius and (slightly) more supportive of the boy, more willing to act as the big brother to Honorius if he really wanted it, but still clearly showed his discomfort for the role. For the most part, he just tried to ignore the young boy, not wanting to get involved with him. Overall, there relationship was notable more tense and terse when compared to the previous year.

This did not go unnoticed by the other soldiers, both Luccius and Honorius being asked questions about the subject throughout the year. Both deflected the question, but this did little to assuage the fears of the soldiers, and even less to resolve the issue at hand.

Then one day, it all changed for Honorius when he received a letter sent from Rome. In August of the year, his father has fallen ill, his health beginning to fail him. Honorius was rushed from the Gallic frontiers to Ravenna to be there for his father in what may be Majorian’s final days.

On the 1st day of September, Honorius arrived in Ravenna and was rushed to the Imperial Palace. Gathered together were a few of the most important people in the Emperor’s life, the ones that weren’t already in the grave, at least. In a private room in the Palace, these individuals gathered together and listened to what would be the final known words of Majorian.

(Translated from Sidonius Apollinaris)

“Friends, family, I am relieved to see you all today in good health, for I certainly am not.

My wife, Eudocia, you have been by my side for many years. You have been my bravery when I showed cowardice, you were my intellect when I lost my mind. You have served faithfully. But your duty to me is done. I only ask you serve our children, and our children’s children, make sure they grow into men worthy of standing alongside the heroes of Rome.

My children, Theodosius, Honorius, and Eudoxia, you have grown into such wonderful, wise children. I am so very sorry that I can not last to see you all blossom like flowers into leader of Rome’s glory. I can only ask that you follow in my example, and of the examples of the heroes of Rome’s past. I hope that you will fight together to preserve the honour of Rome.

My time may be over, but I know you can live up to my legacy...

No... that you may surpass my legacy.

Long live the Emperor. Long live Rome.”

On the 4th September 476, Emperor Majorian was officially pronounced dead. It was thought that the cause was either another seizure or a brain haemorrhage.

The news shocked the nation to its core. The nation had known the emperor for so long, he had become part of the Roman identity in the minds of many Roman citizens, so the news was a violent upheaval of the status quo.

The funeral was held the next month on the 2nd October, whereupon he was cremated and interred in Constantine’s Mausoleum in Rome. Thousands of Romans gathered for the funeral, one of the largest funerals in the history of Rome. The hero of protector of Western Rome was dead.

Nothing would ever be the same again.

Last edited: