Rising Sun Victorious- By Peter Tsouras

Bought this at a used book store the other day. A collection of ten short stories supposing Japan wins the war.

Everything from Nagumo's Fleet bombarding California, Hawaii and Panama simotaniously to Invasions of Australia, India and Russia.

A lot of it is completely infeasable to say the least but two of the scenarios did attract my attention.

Be Careful what you wish for: The plan Orange disaster was an interesting read. Basiclly Yamamoto dismisses an attack on Pearl Harbor since he knows most of the Pacific Fleet can be refloated. He wants to destroy the Fleet in a Deep Water engagement.

Plan Orange is the US's tactical plan for a war with Japan, though it fails to realize the full potential of air power and submarines. Yamamotto starts the war with an invasion of the Phillipines and Kimmel sorties the Pacific Fleet to meet the Combined Fleet.

MacAurthor then reports his land-based air sinking five of the enemy's six fleet carriers. Kimmel assumes Yamamotto is incompetient for bringing his naval air so close to the US land-based air and proceeds on even though he's getting ambushed by submarines every other day.

In reality, MacAuthur's men sunk 5 freighters decked out to look like carriers, and barely damaged the one real carrier with that task force. Imagine Kimmel's surprise when he's ambushed by the real Combined Fleet.

With the Pacific Fleet, including all the carriers, destroyed, FDR is forced to agree to Japan's demands for peace and turns the US focus on the war with Germany.

It's... possible I suppose. Kimmel did let Pearl Harbor happen so it's entirely feasable that Yamamotto could outmanuver him enroute to the Phillipines.

The other scenario... well almost happened. Instead of retreating from Leyte Gulf, the Yamato and the rest of the fleet pushes through and pulverizes the US landing forces. Not only that but Shokaku and the light carriers get away when Halsey has to break off his pursuit to return to Leyte gulf.

Admiral Halsey. who did abandon the landing force to pursue the remaining Japanesse carriers, is publicly sacked and the destruction reaked in the "largest naval battle in history" causes huge disaproval among the US population.

Rosevelt is barely re-elected under the platform of "securing an honorable peace for both sides" and saving the US military "the price of blood" by taking the fight to Japan. Japan conditionally surrenders, giving up all possessions gained after December 7, 1941. They get to keep Indochina, Manchuria and some chunks of China pretty much and the Imperial government remains in power.

That one struck me as the most interesting of all the stories, though I'm not sure if FDR would give up the war just like that. It was appropriately titled, "There are such things as miracles."

The other eight stories potrayed in this... well, it wasn't the worst five dollars I spent.

It has been a lon time since i read it,but i liked the story that the B29 makes a suicide atomic bomb of the haway with the secretary(defense,state?),Yamamoto and combined fleet inside.A very desparate ending.

Sargon

Donor
Monthly Donor
I have this book, and apart from a couple of exceptions many of the scenarios are almost totally implausible. I don't buy the US going for a conditional surrender in the Leyte Gulf one for example. Quite astonishing that professional historians would be so fanciful in them. Still, they were entertaining if nothing else (especially the one about Yamashita and Australia IIRC), and I'm tempted to go back and look at it again as it has been a while since I read any of them.

Sargon

That's vague. Are you talking about the Operation Orange botch that took place in the Phillipines, or the Leyte Gulf scenario which also took place there? Both of those were the ones which I found most interesting.

I rather liked the scenario about the Japanese going nuts in the Indian Ocean, neglecting the Pacific in the process, and then having to retreat when the Americans slowly gather their strength and raid Truk....