Richard Nixon (1913-1963)

Richard Nixon wins the White House narrowly over Senator John F Kennedy (D-MA)................instead of what happened in real life on Novermber 22, 1963 in Dallas, Tx, President Nixon is assasinated by Lee Harvey Oswald, ostensibly because of the US government treatment of Cuba.

This puts VP Henry Cabot Lodge into the presidency. Senator Kennedy is eyeing another run in 1964 against President Lodge, running for reelection ( unless we think he'll be denied renomination by the Republicans or decide not to run)
How does this timeline play out over the next 20 years or so?

I think Lodge runs and although he does get some sympathy vote, comes up short and JFK is inaugurated as 36th President in Jan of 1965. JFK selects Humphrey as his running mate, so Humphrey is still VP in '65 as he was in real life. Obviously, Vietnam plays a major role but I'm thinking Kennedy gets us out of there before 1968. JFK is reelected in '68 and in 1972 I think the pendulum swings back to a more conservative note, as it does swing between more liberal and more conservative every so often.

1972 I see Democrats going with Humphrey/Ted or Robert Kennedy for their ticket against Governor Geiorge Romney of Michigan and Ronald Reagan.

What do you think would be the result of Nixon being assisinated in 1963 intead of Kennedy?

Since we don't know about the real reason Kennedy was killed, it's hard to tell what'd happen to Nixon. For the start: How'd he handle the crisis of Berlin and Cuba?

Two things

You forget about Nixon starting World War 3 by accpeting military advice over Cuba

Secondly assuming he avoids that there is a credible view that if Oswald was the single killer he was motivated by a kind of jealsosy. His wife found John Kennedy attractive. Being physically attactive is not the most obvious of RM Nixon's characteristics.

First, John F. Kennedy and Richard M. Nixon were two very different people. Nixon would probably have handled Cuba and many other issues differently than Kennedy did, in some cases very differently. Nixon being a different person would have brought a very different atmosphere and dynamics to The Presidency in the early 1960's.

We still don't know all the reasons behind the Kennedy assassination, maybe never will. But Kennedy and Nixon were two very different people. Had Nixon been elected in 1960 his would have been a very different Presidency than Kennedy's was.

I'm not saying that Nixon would not have had his political detractors and political enemies. But Nixon probably would not have been assassinated the way Kennedy was because Nixon being elected in 1960 would have created a whole different situation.

First, John F. Kennedy and Richard M. Nixon were two very different people. Nixon would probably have handled Cuba and many other issues differently than Kennedy did, in some cases very differently. Nixon being a different person would have brought a very different atmosphere and dynamics to The Presidency in the early 1960's.

We still don't know all the reasons behind the Kennedy assassination, maybe never will. But Kennedy and Nixon were two very different people. Had Nixon been elected in 1960 his would have been a very different Presidency than Kennedy's was.

I'm not saying that Nixon would not have had his political detractors and political enemies. But Nixon probably would not have been assassinated the way Kennedy was because Nixon being elected in 1960 would have created a whole different situation.

I'm not saying its likely that Nixon would have been assasinated as JFK was, thats why its a "What if?"

Two things

You forget about Nixon starting World War 3 by accpeting military advice over Cuba

Secondly assuming he avoids that there is a credible view that if Oswald was the single killer he was motivated by a kind of jealsosy. His wife found John Kennedy attractive. Being physically attactive is not the most obvious of RM Nixon's characteristics.
Nixon was the President of normalizing of diplomatic relations with the People's Republic of China,Realpolitik with Soviet Union, Anti-Ballistic Missile Treaty (ABM Treaty or ABMT),"Vietnamization" (strategy of replacing American troops with the Vitnamese troops) and withdrawal of U.S. troops from Vietnam.Nixon was great in foreign policies.So WW-3 under his Presidency is very improbable.And in don'think that Nixon would have been killed in Dallas.JFK was in Dallas November 22 for trouble in Texan democratic party.And in early 60s an affair like Watergate would not have been uncovered ,so Richard Nixon sure would have had two terms.

"JFK was in Dallas November 22 for trouble in Texan democratic party.And in early 60s an affair like Watergate would not have been uncovered ,so Richard Nixon sure would have had two terms." , says Lounge60

Nixon spoke to a Coca Cola Bottlers convention on the morning of November 22, 1963 in Dallas.....so he was in reality in the same city on the same day that JFK was shot in.

A political stop for a President Nixon in Dallas isnt far fetched considering he would need those electoral votes in route to a second term

"JFK was in Dallas November 22 for trouble in Texan democratic party.And in early 60s an affair like Watergate would not have been uncovered ,so Richard Nixon sure would have had two terms." , says Lounge60

Nixon spoke to a Coca Cola Bottlers convention on the morning of November 22, 1963 in Dallas.....so he was in reality in the same city on the same day that JFK was shot in.

A political stop for a President Nixon in Dallas isnt far fetched considering he would need those electoral votes in route to a second term
But maybe the motorcard would not pass for Dealey plaza because the Presidential speech would not have been at trade mart ,or maybe Nixon would have gone in Dallas before that Oswald was take at dallas depository book,or maybe Nixon would not have ordered to secret service agents to
remain at a distance from the car.

On the question of Nixon starting WW3, it is indeed an interesting one.

The Soviet commander in Cuba had the authority to launch nuclear weapons immediately upon any American landing.

However, the Soviet Union would've been raped by the US in a 1962 WW3. There would've been no chance to diffuse the situation if the Soviets had used nukes on American partroopers, because American bombers would've been dropping weapons on Moscow before the Soviet leadership knew about the nuke use.

The feared Soviet threat of missiles would've been moot, since it took hours for their missiles to be fueled. Assuming that they did know something was about to go down in Cuba, their missiles were still only able to hit European targets. And you can forget about second strikes, since the USAF would've toasted the sites very quickly.

Soviet submarines with nuclear warheads may have been able to do some damage against US surface ships, but they would not have lasted long.

The Russian missiles on Cuba could've struck the US, but there would've been fewer than a dozen missiles on Cuba when the war began.

While the USAF may have experienced heavy casualties early in a nuclear war, once the Soviet air defense airfields are nuked, Russia (and probably large parts of Eastern Europe) are gone. Tens of thousands of warheads would've been dropped on Russia within days. Assuming there was anyone to surrender, Russia would've been left with maybe 50 million people, not to mention the effects of starvation.

This, of course, assumes that Kruschev would've been willing to put missiles in Cuba with "cold warrior" Nixon in office, or that Nixon wouldn't have done something about Fidel getting into power, or given real support for a Bay of Pigs-esque venture.

But maybe the motorcard would not pass for Dealey plaza because the Presidential speech would not have been at trade mart ,or maybe Nixon would have gone in Dallas before that Oswald was take at dallas depository book,or maybe Nixon would not have ordered to secret service agents to
remain at a distance from the car.

Unlike JFK, it is entirely possible that a more paranoid Nixon may even have had the bullet proof top up on the motorcade. JFK was advised to do this but dismissed the idea because he wanted to be "closer to the people" whereas we know that Nixon was generally more shielded from the public

What about when the Kennedy administration falls apart during its second term when Marilyn Monroe is found dead of an overdose of barbiturates in the president's private bathroom?

;)

Unlike JFK, it is entirely possible that a more paranoid Nixon may even have had the bullet proof top up on the motorcade. JFK was advised to do this but dismissed the idea because he wanted to be "closer to the people" whereas we know that Nixon was generally more shielded from the public
I dont'think that a Nixon winner in 1960 election,and without controculture,Vietnam and watergate troubles would has been "paranoid";not in early 60s.But i agree that would have been more careful that JFK.

What about when the Kennedy administration falls apart during its second term when Marilyn Monroe is found dead of an overdose of barbiturates in the president's private bathroom?

;)
At White House? impossible! After one or two blows Jack had given she to Bob.

This, of course, assumes that Kruschev would've been willing to put missiles in Cuba with "cold warrior" Nixon in office, or that Nixon wouldn't have done something about Fidel getting into power, or given real support for a Bay of Pigs-esque venture.
Yes,i agree.

Richard Nixon (1913-1994)

I believe that Richard Nixon would of won and lived until the end of his second term. Nixon was Protestant was John Kennedy was Catholic. The USA, then a Protestant-dominated state, would not hate Nixon as they hated Kennedy. I believe that J. Edgar Hoover assassinated JFK because President Kennedy preached against secret societies. Nixon, as intelligent as he is, would of handled Cuba and Vietnam better. Castro would rule only from 1959 to 1961. I believed that Nixon would of used US forces to invade Castro Cuba and depose the dictator. Vietnam speaking, I believe that Nixon would be able to negotiate with Ho Chi Minh like Nixon in real life did with Mao.
John F. Kennedy would not be president but his younger brother, Robert F. Kennedy. RFK would suceed Nixon in 1969 and serve until 1977. President RFK (1969-1977) would of made the USA a great place. I believe that if RFK was president, USA would adopt the metric system and we would use alternative energies other than oil.

The young President killed by a communist? A bad scenerio for the Country.And why? a Nixon elect President in 1960 not would have been the OTL Nixon of 70s.

I believe that Richard Nixon would of won and lived until the end of his second term. Nixon was Protestant was John Kennedy was Catholic. The USA, then a Protestant-dominated state, would not hate Nixon as they hated Kennedy. I believe that J. Edgar Hoover assassinated JFK because President Kennedy preached against secret societies. Nixon, as intelligent as he is, would of handled Cuba and Vietnam better. Castro would rule only from 1959 to 1961. I believed that Nixon would of used US forces to invade Castro Cuba and depose the dictator. Vietnam speaking, I believe that Nixon would be able to negotiate with Ho Chi Minh like Nixon in real life did with Mao.
John F. Kennedy would not be president but his younger brother, Robert F. Kennedy. RFK would suceed Nixon in 1969 and serve until 1977. President RFK (1969-1977) would of made the USA a great place. I believe that if RFK was president, USA would adopt the metric system and we would use alternative energies other than oil.

The US didn't hate JFK. Quite the contrary, though that could have changed.

Nixon might have invaded Cuba and kicked off global thermonuclear war, JFK lucked onto what could be considered the best possible scenario as it where.

Nixon may well have pulled out of Vietnam—or at least never built up American forces like Johnson. That, however, is debatable. Nixon of 1960 is a profoundly different person then Nixon 1968.

I'm not sure RFK wanted to be president (and JFK wouldn't be too old to try again for the Presidency), and his run was prompted by Vietnam in OTL. Neither adopting the metric system or alternative fuels would make the US a great place. Nor could the US plausibly wean itself off oil in that time period, or now for that matter. They could start, I admit… but that's all it would be, a start.

Nixon might have invaded Cuba and kicked off global thermonuclear war, JFK lucked onto what could be considered the best possible scenario as it where.
Or the best possible scenario is that Kruschev would've been willing to put missiles in Cuba with "cold warrior" Nixon in office.Or also that Nixon support totally the bay of pigs invasion (and would not have had Russia reaction, like not has been American reaction for Hungary invasion in 56 or Czechoslovakia invasion in 68).

Nixon may well have pulled out of Vietnam—or at least never built up American forces like Johnson. That, however, is debatable. Nixon of 1960 is a profoundly different person then Nixon 1968.
This is true.But leaves that Nixon speaks:Time Magazine,November 1963-Nixon "speaks about Vietnam, especially the U.S. endorsed military coup in South Viet Nam that he thought could render Kennedy vulnerable.
"If this Viet war goes sour, Viet Nam could be a hot issue next year. If it goes well, it won't be. It's strange to me, when we are fawning over Tito, catering to Kadar, accommodating Khrushchev, we don't have the decency to express our sympathy to a family which was a real foe of Communism." The point is that Nixon would have supported Diem,and you remember that the situation in Vietnam fell after the coup aganist Diem.The country fell in anarchy,and this accelerated the projects of north Vietnam.With Diem alive the things would have gone more much slow.​