Richard I, King of England and France?

I'm pretty new to these boards, but I've been doing some preliminary work on a timeline which I find fairly plausible and at least mildly interesting. I'm looking for some feedback and good advice, especially on "what happens next".

Cœur de Lion

The year is 1192.

Richard the Lionheart, crowned King of England three years past, leaves the Holy Land after his failure to retake the city of Jerusalem from the Moslem general Saladin. Despite his disappointment, he brings with him a newly-strengthened reputation as a skilled military commander, as well as a plethora of ideas for newer and better fortifications in his French holdings; Normandy, Aquitaine, Brittany, and the rest. Also on the way back to England (though travelling separately) is his recently-wedded wife, Berengaria of Navarre.

Richard is eager to return to England for good reason; his former companion on the Third Crusade, King Philip II of France, left the Holy Land over a year ago and Richard is certain that the backstabbing bastard has designs on Normandy. Richard has also been concerned by reports that his surviving brother, John Lackland, has been making plans to seize the English throne for himself.

However, getting back to England will be his first major hurdle. Richard has made himself quite a few enemies during the Crusade, and not all of them wear turbans and worship Allah. The Byzantine Emperor, Isaac II, is furious at Richard for conquering the island of Cyprus and turning it into a Crusader state. Meanwhile, the Holy Roman Emperor Henry VI is also annoyed at Richard for a number of reasons, including Richard's support of the rebellious Duke of Saxony (also named Henry). Unfortunately, Richard will need to cross the Empire at some point, unless he wants to sail to Toulouse and hope King Philip doesn't capture him.

Of course Richard (being the brilliant fellow that he is), hatches a plan. He and some of his loyal Crusaders will sail to the port of Genoa disguised as ordinary Templar Knights, and from there, strike out for Aquitaine. In doing so, they will hopefully bypass Emperor Isaac, and avoid as much of Emperor Henry's territory as they can.

True to form, Richard's plan works flawlessly. The weather remains favorable, and Richard returns safely to his holdings in western France. Cheering crowds mark his course as he passes northward, until on Christmas Day of 1192, he arrives in London. At Westminster Abbey, Richard reassumes rulership of the Kingdom and reunites with his new wife Berengaria (whose journey was somewhat more harrowing than his own, it is said). Richard reaffirms his nephew Arthur as heir to the throne, pending the birth of a son of his own.

Soon after Richard's arrival, his brother John Lackland flees to the court of Philip II. The two make a pact; if Philip can defeat Richard and place John on the English throne, then John will cede to him significant areas in the Plantagenet territories, including Gascony and eastern Aquitaine.

In early March of 1193, Philip's army lays siege to the fortress of Gisors in Normandy. Richard, meanwhile, has been riding up and down western France, raising an army to oppose him. Gisors holds out for only a month, before it is relieved by Richard's forces. In the Battle of Gisors on April 12th, Richard soundly thrashes the French army, who are caught between him and a well-timed sally from Gisors itself. Philip is neither killed nor captured, though, and he and the remainder of his army retreat.

After that, Richard spends the rest of the spring and summer of 1193 running rampant over northern France, trouncing the French army again and again, and capturing key castles along the way. By October, he has advanced even to the gates of Paris, where Philip has hastily and prematurely begun construction of a fortress called the Louvre. However, Richard is repulsed at the new city wall, and with winter fast approaching, he returns to his strongholds in Normandy to get ready for the spring campaign. He also begins to lay plans for a series of new castles in the north, ones based upon the designs he encountered during the Third Crusade.

Meanwhile, Berengaria back in London is expecting a child. Richard is engrossed in his war plans and decides not to return north for the child's birth, accentuating the fact that he is largely estranged from his bride. The birth does not go well. The child (a girl, christened Edolie) is born on December 5th, but the Queen dies a few days later. Sadly, her death goes largely unmourned by both the husband she hardly knew, and the kingdom that hardly knew her.

Unfortunately for Richard, springtime of 1194 brings a string of rebellions, beginning among the newly conquered lords in Picardy and and Flanders, and then spreading to some disgruntled nobles in Brittany. He is also forced to dispatch part of his army to Britain to quell the Welsh, who have been raiding into western England. Luckily for him, Philip chooses not to back up Richard's revolting nobles, and remains holed up in Paris desperately attempting to finish the city's fortifications.

By July, Richard feels ready to march on Paris again. His advance is harried by Philip's army, but by late August he has laid siege to the city. The city wall that Philip had originally commissioned the construction of in 1190 is almost entirely complete (thanks to Philip's hurried efforts in the winter and spring), though the Palais du Louvre is still in its formative stages. The left bank of the Seine has little fortification, and Richard's army sacks it. However, the rest of the city holds out for several months before Richard successfully takes it on the 3rd of November in a daring night assault. Philip escapes the city during the ensuing chaos disguised as a fleeing pilgrim, and manages to reach the city of Orleans. His protegee John Lackland, on the other hand, is captured and sent back to London in chains. With the snow beginning to fall again, Richard decides to winter in Paris. And he begins to have a plan, one that involves...

... Alys, Countess of the Vexin and half-sister to Philip II. Before he went gallivanting off to the Third Crusade and married Berengaria of Navarre, Richard had been betrothed to Alys since 1169. Alys spent most of her childhood as a ward of Richard's father Henry II, and it is rumored that she was Henry's mistress once she reached womanhood. However, Richard is willing to overlook these allegations in light of the fact that she is one of the daughters of the late King Louis VII of France, and that marrying her would give him a somewhat-tenuous-but-possibly-legitimate-with-a-big-enough-army claim to the rulership of France in the event of Philip's untimely death. Thus, he sends a letter to his mother Eleanor to start making the arrangements, whether Alys likes it or not.

In any case, Richard marries Alys in February of 1195 (at the half-completed Cathedral of Notre Dame, for conveniences sake), after 26 years of betrothal. The happy couple honeymoon in Champagne, where Richard has chosen to begin his spring campaign. His half-sister Marie, Countess of Champagne (who is also half-sister to both Philip and Alys, though all have slightly different sets of parents) , is being held captive in Troyes by nobles loyal to Philip due to her outspoken support of Richard. By June, Richard has reached Troyes and freed her. Leaving the Champagne countryside semi-subdued, Richard then marches on Orleans, where Philip is gathering the remnants of his army for a final desperate defense of the Kingdom of France.

Of course, Philip is unsuccessful. He dies gloriously in battle on the 23rd of September at the Battle of Sancerre, and the remainder of his army surrenders to Richard's tender mercies, leaving the County of Toulouse as the only part of France still holding out against Richard. And it too is swept away in 1197, leaving Richard as the relatively unopposed King of England and France.

That spring, joy comes to the House of Plantagenet in the form of the squirming, shrieking heir to the throne of a combined kingdom. His name, of course is Richard II.

____

tl;dr Richard I gets back to England without being captured by the Holy Roman Emperor. Then he conquers France and has some kids, and doesn't get killed by a lucky crossbowman.
____

And that's what I have so far; it's sort of a rough draft, so feel free to point out all the problems. Let me know if you find it plausible and/or interesting, and give me some advice on what should happen next. I think the next part may include Richard heading up a much more successful Fourth Crusade. Also maybe maps.

Last edited:
A stronger Plantagenet dynasty, obviously. Especially with the eventual joining of crowns between England and France. Don't actually think i have come across a TL that has Richard as the architect of such a grand plan. Usually it's his father, Henry II.
Richard may have some trouble with just being King of France so quickly. Even though there is supposedly two years between Phillip's death and his ascension to the throne of France. Might need a bit more detail here about the other lords not accepting his claim to the throne. Also, considering that Phillip's son Louis is alive, unless he was captured, there is going to be a revival over his claim rather than Richard's.

Still, butterflying away John's disastrous rule, and also the 'apparent' homosexuality of Richard.

Definitely a TL to look forward to reading.

A stronger Plantagenet dynasty, obviously. Especially with the eventual joining of crowns between England and France. Don't actually think i have come across a TL that has Richard as the architect of such a grand plan. Usually it's his father, Henry II.
Richard may have some trouble with just being King of France so quickly. Even though there is supposedly two years between Phillip's death and his ascension to the throne of France. Might need a bit more detail here about the other lords not accepting his claim to the throne. Also, considering that Phillip's son Louis is alive, unless he was captured, there is going to be a revival over his claim rather than Richard's.

Still, butterflying away John's disastrous rule, and also the 'apparent' homosexuality of Richard.

Thanks for the feedback! I'm sort of figuring that Richard didn't start out aiming for the crown of France; he was simply preventing Philip from taking control of his land, and ended up getting carried away with the whole conquest thing. Judging by what he was like in OTL, he will most likely not be a very good king (and will spend a good bit of time quashing rebellions by uppity nobles), but he ought to be able to hold his new empire together long enough to pass it on to his son.

As to Louis, I'm thinking he may have been quietly imprisoned when Orleans fell. Not quite sure yet.

One thing to remember about the early Plantagenets is that first born doesn't equal heir. The king picked his successor from any of his male children, and could change his mind often about who got what, as Richard's father did.

One thing to remember about the early Plantagenets is that first born doesn't equal heir. The king picked his successor from any of his male children, and could change his mind often about who got what, as Richard's father did.
I did not know that. Going by what i know, Richard got Aquitaine because he was mommy-dearests favorite. Henry the Young King' was to get England (and perhaps France through marriage, before his death), Geoffrey received Brittany ,and John received Ireland. What about Normandy, and Anjou?

The only reason that Richard and John got the crown was because their brothers were dead.

Last edited:

Henry II's changes-of-mind began after the 1183 death of his eldest son, Henry (who was actually proclaimed king of England by Henry II) and when his other sons began jockying for the throne.

Henry II's changes-of-mind began after the 1183 death of his eldest son, Henry (who was actually proclaimed king of England by Henry II) and when his other sons began jockying for the throne.

Maybe the timeline could evolve along these lines having Arthur jostling with Richard's son ( though come to think of it this probable wouldn't happen if we assume that Richard loves his children more than his nephew)

Still I think that this is shaping up to be a good timeline.

Actually he was notorious about 'changing his mind' about who got what long before his eldest son died. That was one of the main reasons his boys were always rebelling against him, including the one he eventually named King of England, to make sure he gave them what he promised. The kingship of England, while very desirable, was not the only plum in the Angevin stew, and they all wanted their fair share.

Thanks for the advice, guys! I'm starting to think that Richard finished his conquest in an unrealistically short period of time, but I'm going to run with it for now. I might go back later and change some stuff once I have a better idea of where the timeline is going; I definitely want to go into more detail about Richard's campaign, which will require more research.

I agree! And with no Austrian captivity, nor ransom and the near bankrupting of England. Not only does Richard have two crowns, he has a more flush treasury....
What about the hooded man?

I agree! And with no Austrian captivity, nor ransom and the near bankrupting of England. Not only does Richard have two crowns, he has a more flush treasury....
France is probably the nation that has the treasury. Richard would have spent everything to fund his campaigns in the crusades, and even fighting this war with France.

What about the hooded man?
If he ever existed he lived at least a century later. The name Robin Hood appeared in the 13th century.

I did not know that. Going by what i know, Richard got Aquitaine because he was mommy-dearests favorite. Henry the Young King' was to get England (and perhaps France through marriage, before his death), Geoffrey received Brittany ,and John received Ireland. What about Normandy, and Anjou?

An interesting tangent: What if John had been left with Ireland, or rather the lordship/the Pale? Is there a chance of this developing into a separate kingdom eventually conquering the rest of the island?

An interesting tangent: What if John had been left with Ireland, or rather the lordship/the Pale? Is there a chance of this developing into a separate kingdom eventually conquering the rest of the island?

I don't believe the Pale had the military strength to conquer the rest of the Ireland without significant English backing. It's worth noting that, without a live-in King, the Anglo-Irish lords rapidly became Gaelicised themselves OTL so it's entirely possible that unless waves of English settlers are sent - somewhat unlikely IMO - John and his descendants could potentially become Irish-cultured, even if they still retain some ties to England and remain under the control of the English kings. If the Angevin Empire of Henry II had actually worked the way it was intended, though, it could have been that Ireland eventually gained its own royal family though, and potentially became a Kingdom. An Empire under a number of different houses all nominally subservient to one over-King would be unlikely to hold in practice, though, and as the French under-Kings all inevitably broke free from England over the course of several generations (I'm anticipating England would remain the most important Kingdom, and home of the sovereign of the combined realms, though I'm talking about OTL Angevin Empire here, and not taking into account gaining the Kingdom of France, a far more noble title in this period) that the English would seek to retain Ireland above all else, seeing it as the easiest pickings and unable to resist England's might. For this reason, I cast doubt on whether it would ever be elevated to full Kingdom. I can't see the English wanting a threat to their position. After all, a King is technically not supposed to be vassal to another King, so unless the English elevated themselves to Emperors (which they would be technically entitled to do, but would be unlikely to in practice) the Irish would always be arguing for their independence if they ever received the title of King.

The Fourth Crusade

Update time! And I made a map. As before, let me know if there's anything you find fishy.

Cœur de Lion, Part II​

The year is 1199.

Richard I, King of England and France, is bored. It has been two years since he completed the conquest of France and officially assumed its Kingship, and the eastern nobility is starting to get used to the idea of having him as their ruler (especially since he just had a second son, named Henry). The Holy Roman Emperor Henry VI died recently, and with Richard's liberal support, he was succeeded by Otto IV of the House of Welf (and not that seedy Philip of Swabia). Scotland has been friendly since the termination of the Treaty of Falaise, and even Ireland and Wales have been pretty quiet. Richard is feeling like it's time to direct a good brawl or two, and luckily, Pope Innocent III has a solution for him.

Yes, it's that time again; time to retake the Holy Land! Richard begins conferring with his lords, and writes to Emperor Otto, encouraging him to muster an army as well. Negotiations are opened with the cities of Genoa and Venice, to arrange transportation. Since the crusading host is expected to be exceptionally large, Richard and Otto agree to split up; Richard will sail from Genoa, and Otto from Venice. They agree to rendezvous at the ancient (and somewhat dilapidated) city of Alexandria, from which they will proceed to crush the successors of Saladin and retake Jerusalem.

Meanwhile, Richard has instituted a new tax in his Kingdoms to finance the Crusade, which he has optimistically labelled as the Jerusalem Tithe. Similar to the Saladin Tithe of the Third Crusade, it is a 10% tax on revenues and properties, collected directly by the church; many join the crusading army on the promise of exemption from the Tithe. Though grudgingly admitted to be a worthy cause, the Tithe is unpopular with Richard's subjects.

Finally, in June of 1201, Richard's army is ready to set sail from Genoa. Richard himself leads them, having left the administration of the Kingdoms in the hands of his wisest and most trusted councilors. The agreed-upon price (an exorbitant sum) is paid to the owners of Genoa's vast merchant fleet, and the Fourth Crusade leaves for Alexandria.

A few ships are lost to storms along the way, but otherwise the voyage goes uneventfully. Richard's host makes landfall at Alexandria in early October, and within days seize the lightly-defended city. They begin to bolster its defenses while they wait for Emperor Otto to arrive. [1]

Otto, in the meantime, has gotten waylaid. While halted at the port of Corfu (currently held by Genoese privateers), some of his commanders go ashore to drink and gamble (and worse) in the local taverns. However, a few of them end up in a fight with a group of Genoese merchants, which ends up escalating dramatically. At last, Otto is forced to put ashore a large part of his force to free the commanders from the clutches of the island's rulers, and eventually ends up laying siege to the castle in order to extract them. It takes the army well over a month to capture the castle, as the attack is condemned by the Pope, which causes a significant fraction of the army to leave Otto and sail for the Holy Land without him.

Otto eventually leaves Corfu in the hands of the Venetians (who are more than happy to take it, and who may have instigated the entire fight in the first place), and continues on his journey with what remains of the army. The other part ends up sailing directly to Acre, but Otto sticks to the original plan, and sails on to Alexandria.

There, he discovers that Richard has gotten sick of waiting for him and, leaving a portion of his forces to protect Alexandria, has gone on to the Moslem port of Damietta, to which he is currently laying siege. Unfortunately, Richard's army is wracked by illness, and is having very little success. Otto's reinforcements help Richard considerably, and the city falls in December.

By February of 1202, the Crusader army has regained its health and is ready to march again. The Ayyubid sultan al-Adil (brother of Saladin), has mustered his forces at Cairo, and is heading north along the delta to meet the Crusaders. What follows is a disastrous defeat for the Christians. Unfamiliar with the terrain, they end up badly beaten by the Sultan's army, and they are forced to retreat to Damietta.

News of the defeat travels north, and a large force from elsewhere in Outremer (including the lost portion of Otto's army) arrives in Damietta. In April, Richard marches south towards Cairo again, and fares better than he did the time before. Al-Adil is narrowly defeated, and the Crusaders advance on to the Ayyubid stronghold of Cairo. The siege of Cairo is a slow and painful process for the Crusaders. Disease has broken out among their ranks again, and their supply lines are being raided by the Sultan's troops. Fortunately for Richard, the Crusaders aren't the only ones falling ill. Cairo itself develops an epidemic, that only gets worse as the siege continues. At last, Al-Adil himself dies of the illness in November, and the city surrenders to the invading army. With the fall of Cairo, the rest of Egypt falls into the hands of the Crusaders.

Richard immediately goes about setting up a new Crusader kingdom, with its capital at the refurbished city of Alexandria (imaginatively, he names it the Kingdom of Alexandria). Otto's older brother Henry is made King. Technically speaking, the Kingdom extends across a large chunk of the Mediterranean coast, and down the Nile River, but much of the area is never really subjugated, and remains only nominally under the rule of the King of Alexandria.

In early 1204, Richard and Otto are ready to move on. They plan on marching west and seizing Jerusalem from the remainder of the Ayyubids, and returning it to the Kingdom of Acre. The city is retaken with relative ease on October 15th, and Richard decides that it is time for him to head back to France.

Word has it that the County of Toulouse has risen up in rebellion in his absence...

FourthCrusade.png

[1]: As a sidenote, on the way home the Genoese fleet scuffles with their rival Pisa, and win themselves the islands of Corsica and Sardinia

Nice TL! I'm not quite sure I like Barbarossa not being emperor, but it's nice to see the 4th Crusade going to plan instead of sacking Constantinople. The idea of an Anglo-French union is also very appealing to me, although the nation will probably be more French than English in the future.

Consider me subscribed and interested.

Nice TL! I'm not quite sure I like Barbarossa not being emperor, but it's nice to see the 4th Crusade going to plan instead of sacking Constantinople. The idea of an Anglo-French union is also very appealing to me, although the nation will probably be more French than English in the future.

Well, so far it looks like the imperial succession has gone as OTL. No chance for Frederick II (currently the underaged Frederick I of Sicily) maybe...

Wonder how long until revolts wrack even the area of the Kingdom of Alexandria within (for a given definition of "within") crusader control.

Well, so far it looks like the imperial succession has gone as OTL. No chance for Frederick II (currently the underaged Frederick I of Sicily) maybe...

Of course, I remember now that Barbarossa led the 3rd crusade (and not the 4th as I thought).

Thanks! The Kingdoms won't technically be unified until Richard passes them on to his son. He's currently both King of England and King of France, but his successor will be King of England and France (much like the unification of the Kingdoms of Castile and Leon in OTL, or the later unification of Castile and Aragon). And yes, France will most likely end up as the dominant section of the Kingdom, especially if Richard decides to move the capital to Normandy, as I think he may.

Wonder how long until revolts wrack even the area of the Kingdom of Alexandria within (for a given definition of "within") crusader control.

Actually, the Imperial succession went considerably more smoothly than in OTL. Instead of a Philip of Swabia backed by France, and an Otto IV backed by England, it ends up being an Otto IV backed up by both England and France. Plus the Pope.