Return of Horrible Educational Maps

Hmm, I see Czechoslovakia has returned; oh and Ireland has been reunited.
Strange enough I cannot find anything wrong with East Asia.
Indonesia is a little wierd in that different parts of Indonesia are colored differently in terms of percentage, but that might be deliberate.

Given how some borders are rather accurate (like in the Kazakh-Uzbek-Tajik area) while others are grossly inaccurate (don't mention Eastern Europe, although with that Hungary-Bosnia-Croatia blob I guess they finally started with reversing Trianon) I think that there were several people involved witzh creating that map. Found at reddit.

badcultures3.jpg

Given how some borders are rather accurate (like in the Kazakh-Uzbek-Tajik area) while others are grossly inaccurate (don't mention Eastern Europe, although with that Hungary-Bosnia-Croatia blob I guess they finally started with reversing Trianon) I think that there were several people involved witzh creating that map. Found at reddit.

View attachment 868482
Oh New Zealand, so far from God and so close to the.... nobody according to  waaaay too many ignorant cartographers.

Oh New Zealand, so far from God and so close to the.... nobody according to  waaaay too many ignorant cartographers.

If you need New Zealand then how about a trip to the London Transport Museum? They got artwork which does depict New Zealand. And the Taiwan-Philippinese peninsula.

badlondontransportmuseum.jpg

Blobby Germany sort of counts since I found it in a university :)

Attachments

• 93193414-1A49-4B94-B988-A4D7AADF602B.jpeg
    93193414-1A49-4B94-B988-A4D7AADF602B.jpeg
    177.3 KB · Views: 90
As far as hand-drawn maps go there are other standards:

View attachment 869844

To compensate for having posted an actual good map let's also have a webfound Christmas ornament, since the season is drawing near anyways:

View attachment 869845
On the second image, it looks like Saudi Arabia just lost some weight, India is gone, Africa has gained additional continental land, Britain's shrink and Ireland his meeting up with Spain, all the while Denmark has been relocated and Crimea is just gone.

Not horribly bad (actually everything depicted is correct) but the mapmakers decisions of which countries are in which region is rather odd.

badregions2.jpg

Kamchatka is my favorite destination in the Eastern Mediterranean.

Kamchatka is in European Region. (Also Lebanon but not Israel, it looks like)

It is what one might call Middle East & North Africa that is "Eastern Mediterranean".

Thought it is weird that the Americas is "Region of the Americas" rather than the Americas Region like all the others. And also it is weird that Algeria is excluded from "Eastern Mediterranean".

Edit: Wait, is Djibouti in the European Region??

DPRK is not data grey rather than South East Asian Region I presume.

Last edited:

Mark1878

Donor
Kamchatka is in European Region. (Also Lebanon but not Israel, it looks like)

It is what one might call Middle East & North Africa that is "Eastern Mediterranean".

Thought it is weird that the Americas is "Region of the Americas" rather than the Americas Region like all the others. And also it is weird that Algeria is excluded from "Eastern Mediterranean".

Edit: Wait, is Djibouti in the European Region??

DPRK is not data grey rather than South East Asian Region I presume.
It sort of makes sense.
The only oddity I see is Algeria - which should be in the 'Eastern Meditterean' region/

That last sentence looks odd - that is because the definition of regions is odd - Eastern Mediterranean should be Arabic/Persian region.
Djibouti is in 'Eastern Meditterean' which as above is really Arabic region.

So the main errors are the bad choice of colours and the bad naming of regions. The regions themselves make some sense.