Return of Horrible Educational Maps

Crazy Boris

Banned
1816 jank.jpg

Map of North America from 1816
take in that magnificent jank

That’s not horrible education, though. That’s just the best education that they had at the time. At least California isn’t an island anymore.

Hmm, assuming Africa lies in the correct position, both South America and Australia lie in the northern hemisphere...
I believe that is a first...

What can you expect when South America is about the same size as the Scandinavian island, not even the Mercator Projection manages to do that.

World map from the Totally Spies cartoon unrelated.

badtotallyspies2.jpg

Part of me is formally curious whether the difference in continental positions in that map would allow for climatological conditions necessary to support two apparently world-class cities in Antarctica.

Part of me is formally curious whether the difference in continental positions in that map would allow for climatological conditions necessary to support two apparently world-class cities in Antarctica.
I mean there's still no barrier for the Circumpolar Current, so Antarctica would still be isolated from warmer air and water masses further north. That island in the southern Indian Ocean (Kerguelen?) could send some warmer water from the South Indian Stram south, but the warming wouldn't be very noticeable.

Mark1878

Donor
My question is what happened on the West Coast of North (and Central??) America to have no world cities there...
Probabaly a result of that odd land mass hitting Central America which also made the Panama Canal wider.
There must have been a large tsunami.

Always good for this thread: timezone maps.

View attachment 800566
I see the following.

The underlying map (*mostly*) predates South Sudan.
However, the borders between the US and about Costa Rica are gone. (No border between the US and Guatemala.)
The Tunisia Libya border is off.
Northern Niger (and part of Mali?) have been given to Libya and Algeria. (Algeria looks *really* large)

Pointers for a few cities are somewhat (but not obnoxiously) off: Los Angeles, Paris, Rome.
Half hour time zomes are merged in with the given hour (so, for example, the GMT+9:30 in Australia is grouped with GMT 9.

Hey, that’s neat. Someone hit the “align” button in photoshop and stacked the objects on the same layer. It’s clearly Europe and North Africa stacked on top of the Americas. You can see the curvature of the edge of the globe where they’re supposed to be on the other side. Someone just wasn’t paid enough to care before screen printing it.