Restoration of the Great Ming: A Tianqi Timeline

Zheng doesn't even know what the word careful means, does he?
"Careful" is just another word he never learnt to pronounce.

Picking fights, ok. But minting coins is a big no no. Of course, Zheng being a wayward warlord doesn’t know much about the importance of 'economic authority'. Hope he survives, and I'm interested to see which path Koxinga/zheng Chenggong take.
As the old saying goes, when all you have is a hammer...

He's fortunate to have friends at court, and a son capable of carrying on his legacy if worst came to worst.

Hello,

If Zheng ultimately steps over the line and possibly gets enough forewarning, he might bring together a small group of ships and whatever loot he could get away with. Of course, to throw off pursuit, instead of heading to the southeast or the Indian Ocean, he could head east...
…or he could go South! This is how we get Ming Australia, my EU4 simulations demand it!
Ming Australia 😋😋
The temptation to help out TTL's cartographers by creating a space-filling empire (Ming, obviously) is immense.

Ming Australia 😋😋
Mingstralia, if you will.

The temptation to help out TTL's cartographers by creating a space-filling empire (Ming, obviously) is immense.
Alternatively you could look into supercharging the kongsi republics of OTL. It'd at least be a far more interesting alternate means of colonialism. Not sure if the mercantile class was more suppressed under Ming than Qing, but Zheng's entire venture indicates no. Could be an inspiration for a whole lotta people in Fujian and the southern provinces to strike out and get fabulously wealthy (in the Emperor's name, of course).

Hello,

To me, it seems unlikely that the Chinese would want to establish overseas territories in places such as Australia or the Americas. The point of establishing colonies is to gain cheaper access to resources than current means. Can it be said that resources can be more easily secured in the mentioned regions where distance must be accounted for? That does not mean that potential rival states could be established due to a variety of circumstances such as the Zheng scenario I described. Times do change and demands for resources will do so, but by then science and technology would have solved transport difficulties (first clipper ships then steam engines).

Mingstralia, if you will.

Alternatively you could look into supercharging the kongsi republics of OTL. It'd at least be a far more interesting alternate means of colonialism. Not sure if the mercantile class was more suppressed under Ming than Qing, but Zheng's entire venture indicates no. Could be an inspiration for a whole lotta people in Fujian and the southern provinces to strike out and get fabulously wealthy (in the Emperor's name, of course).
Hello,

To me, it seems unlikely that the Chinese would want to establish overseas territories in places such as Australia or the Americas. The point of establishing colonies is to gain cheaper access to resources than current means. Can it be said that resources can be more easily secured in the mentioned regions where distance must be accounted for? That does not mean that potential rival states could be established due to a variety of circumstances such as the Zheng scenario I described. Times do change and demands for resources will do so, but by then science and technology would have solved transport difficulties (first clipper ships then steam engines).
As tempting -- as supremely tempting -- as "Mingstralia" might be (and we'll have to figure out a period-appropriate Chinese-language name), yeah. Y'all are right. Remember, they're still working on colonizing Dongshan (I haven't gone into the specifics very much -- that might be worth a future narrative section, Magistrate Di solving another crime and exploring the effects of colonialism on the indigenous nations) -- IOTL the Qing didn't do much work on the place for centuries after, and ITTL the Zheng family's gotten decades of a head-start (and are being supported by the imperial bureaucracy!) (for now) -- anyways.

But I do like Mingstralia.

As tempting -- as supremely tempting -- as "Mingstralia" might be (and we'll have to figure out a period-appropriate Chinese-language name), yeah. Y'all are right. Remember, they're still working on colonizing Dongshan (I haven't gone into the specifics very much -- that might be worth a future narrative section, Magistrate Di solving another crime and exploring the effects of colonialism on the indigenous nations) -- IOTL the Qing didn't do much work on the place for centuries after, and ITTL the Zheng family's gotten decades of a head-start (and are being supported by the imperial bureaucracy!) (for now) -- anyways.

But I do like Mingstralia.
To be clear Mingstralia is mostly a joke, I played Divergences of Darkness recently and it has a Zheng He-colonized Australia as one of the colonial Chinese nations. The dev for that mod chose Zhourao as the name, which apparently comes from an Han Dynasty era poem (no clue if this is an ass-pull). It's funny to play as because you can technically reunify China as Australia (like, the game gives you a 'Reunify China' casus belli to use).

The kongsi stuff (chinese privateers going off to play a cross between white rajah and british east india company) is the more "realistic" speculation.

399px-Gold_ingots_in_Ming_1.JPG

A gold ingot, created at some point during the Wanli era. Some gold ingots like these are the subject of approximately two-thirds of this chapter, because I felt like writing about economic policy today.

Zhou Qiyuan, formerly Minister of Justice, now the newly-appointed Minister of Revenue, is taking to his assignment quite nicely.

He starts by asking questions. Then he has his secretary, Gao Xuan, write down the answers. Then he and Gao Xuan go over the answers, and later they pay a second visit to anyone whose answers showed...discrepancies.

It soon becomes clear that one would be incredibly unwise to fuck with Zhou Qiyuan.

That being said, his predecessors did their jobs competently, so there’s a relatively limited amount of corruption and incompetence to root out -- and every good scholar-bureaucrat does that sort of thing anyways. So it shouldn’t surprise anyone when, after some time carefully cleaning up the operations of his department, Minister Zhou reveals that he has some ideas of his own.

He submits a lengthy manuscript to the attention of the emperor (and to the imperial bureaucracy at large; this document is more of an open letter than a private memorandum). It starts off innocently enough: taxes are not very high, which is fine for the common people, but not so great for the empire, whose revenues are pretty bad (despite the fact that trade is really picking up). And then there’s the problem of how exactly taxes are to be paid. Ordinary people use copper coinage day-to-day, silver is used in trade, and gold is not very common. Minister Zhou suggests to slightly adjust the conversion rate between the three metals -- essentially, making it so that a village dweller who uses copper to pay the (ridiculously low) taxes on, say, agricultural production will have a lower effective taxation rate, while merchants who pay with silver will be required to pay relatively more, and anyone who pays with gold will pay the most of all. Minister Zhou explains that this system (or rather, refinements upon the existing system, which later generations might call “progressive taxation”) might sound complicated but is actually beneficial, because commoners are taxed lightly anyways (and it’s not like they contribute very much) but more prosperous people, by only a slight increase to their taxes (which they can easily afford), could greatly benefit the imperial coffers. Also, there’s a practical reason why different types of coin should be taxed differently -- it shouldn’t be on the imperial tax collectors to have to manage all the conversion rates and whatnot. If someone’s going to pay in a less convenient medium of payment, they should be the ones to handle the issues. At least, that’s the gist of the argument.

Minister Zhou also suggests setting up some more state monopolies. Right now, iron production is more or less the domain of the state -- this has been true in China since time immemorial -- and there’s also salt production, which is still maybe the largest single source of imperial revenue. Minister Zhou thinks that nationalizing the production of kaolin and at least some of the porcelain industry might be another good idea. This is an old hobbyhorse of his -- back when he was a lowly county magistrate during the Wanli era, he’d tried to do something similar in the Jingdezhen area, but the local magnates had hinted very strongly that there could be a totally spontaneous riot in response[1] -- anyways, Minister Zhou could be persuaded to drop this idea in the interest of national security, but he does think the benefits outweigh the costs, since so much of the empire’s export trade is in porcelain, which has acquired a reputation among foreigners as a desirable luxury good.

Finally, Minister Zhou has prepared some reforms to the management of foreign trade. Incidentally, despite having a doctrinaire reputation, Minister Zhou is not an isolationist. He grew up in Fujian, after all. He’s perfectly fine with trading with foreigners, or at least accepts that it’s going to happen anyways. And if it’s going to happen, the emperor is entitled to a cut of the profits, right?[2]

Thing is, Minister Zhou innocently slips in some rough calculations about the potential revenues to be made in levying a modest import / export tax on certain goods being sent to or from a particular island-shaped nation. He lists a bunch of products that would hypothetically be traded by this nation. It is extremely, extremely obvious that he is referring to Dongshan.

After all, if Dongshan is a separate nation akin to one of the empire’s foreign tributaries, any mercantile transactions between Dongshan and the mainland would be taxed at the (higher) rate that foreigners must pay. But if Dongshan is legally not a separate nation, it would require a formal governor to be appointed, right? Not the weird mishmash of customary and bureaucratic structures that currently governs the place, allowing a warlord to assume arbitrary powers. I mean, that just sounds like a mess. Hint, hint.

It’s actually a pretty clever bit of work -- Minister Zhou is trying to rein in Admiral Zheng and his weird little pirate kingdom -- but the drawback is that while the good minister has been doing his best to be thorough (and to not accidentally say something offensive and get himself demoted), he has produced pages upon pages of immensely difficult-to-process jargon which will take awhile to fully discuss. Foreseeing this, he suggests a deadline for doing any of these reforms five years in the future. That should give everyone enough time to process everything and come up with counterarguments, if necessary. And boy, will they ever.

Admiral Zheng, when he gets wind of these machinations, grumbles and tasks his own boffins to take a look at the paperwork and figure out a way to delay things further, if possible, or undermine the proposal entirely. He's also not amused by the proposed adjustments to the taxed value of gold, since gold is a major export good for Dongshan (in addition to fish and agricultural products).

Okay, you’ve read through a whole lot of really dense economic history. Let’s look at something more fun.

The armies of Joseon and the Northern Yuan have not been idle; they’ve spent the last few years harrying the Jurchens further and further north. The “Later Jin,” such that it ever existed, exists no more. Ajige himself, most violent and warlike of the Jurchens, is dead; not in battle, that would be suitably dramatic. No, he died of what was apparently a cold that turned into pneumonia.

With him gone, what’s left of his people (mostly a hardcore fragment of what had formerly been a vast nation) surrenders. Their lands are partitioned between Joseon and the Northern Yuan, both of which are eager to reclaim steppe lands that are theirs by birthright. It’s not bad land. Good for grazing horses (for those parts of your army or society which lives on horseback) or for sedentary agriculture (not as fertile as China’s floodplains but not bad at all).

Daišan, second son of Nurhaci, is still around, but remember, he and his army are in service to the Ming now, and many of his men are marrying local girls and settling down in Sichuan. He’s too busy becoming a regional bureaucrat to say much about Ajige’s death. This marks more or less the end of Jurchen independence.

Ejei Khan and Injo of Joseon celebrate their victory with a solemn ceremony, then a riotous party. It’s agreed to set up a marriage alliance to prevent future disagreements between the two. Injo’s eldest son, Crown Prince Sohyeon, is yet unwed; there had been some talk of marrying him to the noblewoman Minhoe, but that had fallen through. The crown prince thinks that it's just another product of his father's petty machinations; he doesn't think his father likes him very much.[3] Anyways, the Northern Yuan produce a young woman whose exact parentage is uncertain in later chronicles, although it is thought she is the daughter of Doutumen, consort of the late Ligdan Khan, so that's good enough.[4] Time for a diplomatic marriage.

The wedding is a joyous event. Its guest list includes such notables as the Prince of Xin, younger brother to the emperor himself. Even Crown Prince Sohyeon enjoys himself. He’d been reluctant at first -- he’s getting pretty sure that his unease around his duplicitous father is more than paranoia -- but none of that matters once he finally meets his bride. Her name is Erdani, and she has the strikingly dark blue eyes that mark her as a true descendant of the legendary Genghis Khan.

Just maybe, Sohyeon thinks to himself, everything will be alright...

Footnotes
[1] This is what happened IOTL; Zhou Qiyuan dropped the matter, continued his work in the bureaucracy, and eventually got into a fight with one of Wei Zhongxian’s cronies over tax matters, with fatal results. ITTL, as has been mentioned multiple times previously, Wei Zhongxian’s rapid fall spared Zhou Qiyuan a premature death in prison, so now he has the chance to put some of his economic ideas into action.
[2] IOTL Zhou Qiyuan wrote about how Fujian merchants should be allowed to continue their business and that restricting contact with barbarians wasted the chance to make money off them.
[3] IOTL Sohyeon ended up marrying Minhoe and had children by her. He did not inherit the throne; he died mysteriously, with the modern consensus being that he was probably poisoned by his own father.
[4] IOTL Doutumen never had children with Ligdan Khan and ended up becoming the consort of Hong Taiji.

Last edited:
Okay, you’ve read through a whole lot of really dense economic history. Let’s look at something more fun.​
No no I am here for the economic history. Proposing a higher tariff to rein in Dongshan? Genius. Porcelain monopoly? Fascinating. In fact I hope we see more in this vein of administrative history as well as literary and cultural flowering.

If Zhou sucessfully gets his tax policy adopted, even in a modified form, I imagine that should be very helpful for the Ming Dynasty's finances since from what I understand China had a long history of low taxation in order to help keep public dissent from being too bad so this in general helps the Ming dynasty's finances from taxation. The porcelain monopoly would also be very helpful for China's finances at this time period since from what I understand Chinese porcelain was very popular in general during this rough time period.

Korea and the Nomadic Steppe Horde getting friendly should raise a few red flags (the bad ones, not the ones that signify prosperity) in Beijing. All well and good if Joseon can make them less likely to raid China, but "people from the steppe come in to raid" is a clockwork event in China so you know it's only a matter of time.

Korea and the Nomadic Steppe Horde getting friendly should raise a few red flags (the bad ones, not the ones that signify prosperity) in Beijing. All well and good if Joseon can make them less likely to raid China, but "people from the steppe come in to raid" is a clockwork event in China so you know it's only a matter of time.
Korea being friendly to steppe horde is annoying but nothing to be too concerned about.

The main concern is northern yuan has reunify much of the steppe that. That is concerning.

I actually quite like economic side of things paired with intrigues in the court and i find Zhou's approach ingenious. Not only does he has some good ideas, but he is also trying to rain in Admiral Zheng by subtly mixing status of his province in report. Honestly i do hope his reforms are accepted and pass at planned timetable.

Regarding Admiral Zheng good idea for him would be to not go entirely against reforms as that will be seen as overstep at the court and earn him additional enemies, plus he would need to put convincing arguments against the reforms.

Good approach would be to just try to change part where Dongshan is treated as foreign tributary Kingdom (or is even mentioned) by pointing out that status of the province just complicates things unnecessarily in otherwise spotless tax reforms and Empire should focus on analyzing and implementing it, this saves his position within Dongshan and Empire and just accepts taxation part as necessary concession, not to mention delays question of his province for a time, enough so that he can covertly prepare .

Last edited:
Came across this some time after watching a Youtube video where the Ming have the entire world as tributaries in EU4.
Fate works in surprising ways.
Watched.

No no I am here for the economic history. Proposing a higher tariff to rein in Dongshan? Genius. Porcelain monopoly? Fascinating. In fact I hope we see more in this vein of administrative history as well as literary and cultural flowering.
Your wish is my command.
If Zhou sucessfully gets his tax policy adopted, even in a modified form, I imagine that should be very helpful for the Ming Dynasty's finances since from what I understand China had a long history of low taxation in order to help keep public dissent from being too bad so this in general helps the Ming dynasty's finances from taxation. The porcelain monopoly would also be very helpful for China's finances at this time period since from what I understand Chinese porcelain was very popular in general during this rough time period.
Indeed indeed. Every bit counts.

I actually quite like economic side of things paired with intrigues in the court and i find Zhou's approach ingenious. Not only does he has some good ideas, but he is also trying to rain in Admiral Zheng by subtly mixing status of his province in report. Honestly i do hope his reforms are accepted and pass at planned timetable.

Regarding Admiral Zheng good idea for him would be to not go entirely against reforms as that will be seen as overstep at the court and earn him additional enemies, plus he would need to put convincing arguments against the reforms.

Good approach would be to just try to change part where Dongshan is treated as foreign tributary Kingdom (or is even mentioned) by pointing out that status of the province just complicates things unnecessarily in otherwise spotless tax reforms and Empire should focus on analyzing and implementing it, this saves his position within Dongshan and Empire and just accepts taxation part as necessary concession, not to mention delays question of his province for a time, enough so that he can covertly prepare .
I'm so glad that Zhou Qiyuan exists ITTL. Honestly, I just went through a list of Donglin figures and picked one who was still alive at the POD. And he made it!

Korea being friendly to steppe horde is annoying but nothing to be too concerned about.

The main concern is northern yuan has reunify much of the steppe that. That is concerning.
Yep, the Ming court is focused elsewhere right now. Joseon is (and has been) a reasonably reliable tributary (and Injo, both IOTL and ITTL, has been regarded as being more "pro-China" than his predecessor who was overthrown in a palace coup, even though he fancies himself a clever schemer). So to some extent, there's the expectation that "right, he's got things under control, we can focus more on other stuff." Although I should note that not everybody is unconcerned...

Came across this some time after watching a Youtube video where the Ming have the entire world as tributaries in EU4.
Fate works in surprising ways.
Watched.
Like Heaven intended
Always glad to have more eyes on this timeline -- welcome aboard!

Zhou you sly dog, if we didn’t know your friendship with Zheng we would think that You're trying to cut his aorta. Gold taxation system is brilliant indeed but again, will stymie the chances of accumulation of wealth among wealthier merchants and such.

Zheng after reading Zhou's proposed taxation policy:
images (37).jpeg

Korea and the Nomadic Steppe Horde getting friendly should raise a few red flags (the bad ones, not the ones that signify prosperity) in Beijing.
Yep, Ming should have at least one banner of nomads like Khalka as loyal horse people.
he and his army are in service to the Ming now, and many of his men are marrying local girls and settling down in Sichuan

The wedding is a joyous event. Its guest list includes such notables as the Prince of Xin, younger brother to the emperor himself. Even Crown Prince Sohyeon enjoys himself. He’d been reluctant at first -- he’s getting pretty sure that his unease around his duplicitous father is more than paranoia -- but none of that matters once he finally meets his bride. Her name is Erdani, and she has the strikingly dark blue eyes that mark her as a true descendant of the legendary Genghis Khan.
Lovely genetic mixing we have here folks. 🍷 for the Mongol princess and her Korean Prince!

Zhou you sly dog, if we didn’t know your friendship with Zheng we would think that You're trying to cut his aorta. Gold taxation system is brilliant indeed but again, will stymie the chances of accumulation of wealth among wealthier merchants and such.
It's Qian Qianyi who's Zheng's old friend! Zhou comes from the same circles as those two but is cut from a different cloth -- he's not unsympathetic, but the empire comes first -- and while Qian could probably sidetrack the whole thing (considering he's the Grand Secretary and all), I've got the feeling he's a little pissed off with Zheng right now. Also, the policy does make sense.

Which isn't to say that Zheng is dead in the water, because he's got some intelligent people working for him. Our old friend Di Yimin, who has probably by this point ascended beyond county magistrate, will probably have something to say about all that!

I have to say, I adore how you mix more conventional language with some snark every now and then. It makes your updates very entertaining to read. 😆

On a more serious note, it seems admiral Zheng's behavior will finally catch up to him.

I have to say, I adore how you mix more conventional language with some snark every now and then. It makes your updates very entertaining to read. 😆

On a more serious note, it seems admiral Zheng's behavior will finally catch up to him.
Thank you kindly!

What can I say about the good admiral besides the fact that he's literally a pirate king? He does have bureaucrats working for him, which could help on the one side. And he has a personal bodyguard force which...didn't help IOTL. Hopefully he'll be luckier this go-round.

637px-Church_in_Peking_LCCN2002715463.jpg

A sketch of a Beijing church as it would have appeared a little after the events described in this chapter

Princess Yining, youngest child and only surviving daughter of the Tianqi Emperor, is five years old. Well, she’s five years old counting from the date of her birth, in the manner of the Europeans. Customary age-reckoning practices are a little different in China.

She’s an unremarkable child. A couple years ago, when the plague really hit Beijing in earnest (although it’s still around and people are still dying), she’d fallen ill, either with the plague or something more mundane. Eventually her fever broke and she recovered, but she seems to be quieter now. More thoughtful, perhaps.

One day, she announces to her family that she wants to be a Christian.

This is unusual for some obvious reasons -- regardless of the rumors circulating about the Prince of Xin, brother to the emperor, no scion of the Ming imperial family ever has made such an announcement -- over the years, some members of the literati have converted, but this? Unprecedented. Still, among the upper echelons of the bureaucracy, there’s a largely muted reaction. If she were a prince, that would be different. A prince would have to participate in any number of ceremonies incompatible with foreign superstition. But a princess? Eh. It’s not like China has powerful neighbors to appease with marriage alliances -- its neighbors can wheel and deal among each other, but they are manifestly not peers to the Great Ming. Point is, the King of England might marry his daughters off to, for example, the Prince of Orange and the Duke of Orléans for political reasons, but the Emperor of China feels no such pressure. The whole incident is unusual, sure, a rather curious fancy for a child to have. The girl’s started calling herself a “bride of Christ.” Well, her indulgent father figures, at least this relieves me of having to think about marital plans. He tolerates her youthful enthusiasm.

Nicolas Trigault, for his part, is overjoyed. He immediately writes a bunch of letters about it to his Jesuit superiors back home, only some of which is exaggerated. Due to his friendship with the emperor, he is entrusted with the child’s education insofar as it relates to her curiosity with religion -- the emperor, though unlettered, is keen that his children learn as much as they are able.

Not everyone in Beijing is happy about this.

Meanwhile, the first response to Minister Zhou’s proposal comes from Dongshan. It is authored by Di Yimin, the scholar who was among the first to be sent to that island, and who has since cycled through several magistrate positions over county-equivalent areas before becoming appointed as prefect over...well, technically his prefecture covers the entirety of Dongshan under Admiral Zheng’s control. The office of governor is still officially vacant.

Di Yimin writes a somewhat abbreviated treatise acknowledging Minister Zhou’s text. While he thanks the minister for seeking to reform the tax system, he points out that some of the calculations or assumptions made are not quite correct. See, under the current system, most taxes are paid in silver at the final step. Taxes are still low, but this requirement allows the empire to extract a little more out of the mandated taxes -- paying people in one currency and requiring payment in another was a classic move among medieval European banks to avoid committing “usury,” and in this application is something akin to seigniorage -- however, the price of silver has been subject to severe fluctuation. This is due to most silver being sourced through trade with the Spanish colonial empire, and for some reason the Spanish haven’t been very keen on trade lately.[1] And why penalize people for paying taxes in gold? If anything, because the empire has a new source of gold -- the river operations and mines on Dongshan -- maybe the empire should be more flexible in that regard. Maybe gold could be standardized as the base of a common currency which would hopefully be acceptable to the imperial tax collectors. If future discussions are successful, of course.

He promises to address the other elements of Minister Zhou’s proposals in a little bit, once he finishes some additional analysis.

(Di Yimin’s treatise is received relatively well in Beijing. Even Nicolas Trigault, who is typically jealous of anyone else with influence over the emperor, acknowledges that Di has said many wise things. That being said, he’s predisposed to be a little skeptical of what Minister Zhou is doing over at the Ministry of Revenue, and writes that the man’s secretary Gao Xuan is “half a Saracen in appearance.”)

Anthony van Diemen, the Governor-General of the Dutch East Indies, is thinking very hard. He’s been running things in Batavia ever since his predecessor, Hendrik Brouwer, stepped down to return home and explain the whole Dongshan debacle to the Dutch East India Company’s leadership.[2] Now, he’s got some of his captains, including the reliable Abel Tasman, probing south from the lands colonized by the Dutch. They report that there are many large islands to the south -- inhabited islands! -- but the inhabitants are aloof, sometimes hostile, and don’t appear to have anything useful to trade.[3]

Tasman’s willing to go back and take a closer look, but the colonial administrators are less interested -- for all his exploring, he didn’t bring back any gold. So van Diemen and his compatriots turn their attention to the one place nearby where there is plentiful gold.

Yes, he’s thinking about Dongshan.

It rankles, a little bit, that the Dutch could be forced out of the place, and then the newcomers apparently prove that there was gold in them thar hills after all. (True, there’s some question over exactly how honest Admiral Zheng is being about the gold deposits. There is some gold being extracted from the rivers of eastern Dongshan, and Zheng’s men, in cooperation with the Portuguese, are starting to make probing excavations into the highlands, but the overall profitability is not entirely public knowledge.) And van Diemen is worried that he’s left it too long as it is; the hostilities between Spain and Portugal caught everyone by surprise, and in retrospect the best time to make a move on Dongshan would have been right after the Portuguese forced the Spanish out, when things were still super chaotic.

Still, a good hard push might get the Dutch something. His compatriots might be quietly skeptical, but van Diemen’s too busy drawing up plans.[4]

The Dutch East India Company, by the way, hasn’t explored much to the north of Japan -- they have their outpost on Dejima, and some of their captains have navigated those waters, but even with being the only Europeans allowed (tenuous) contact with Japan, there isn’t much that interests the Dutch up there.

Not so for the enterprising captains of Dongshan. Later in the year, a ship is blown off-course by a summer storm. Although it drifts for a time through some northerly currents, its crew manage to bring it back under control, and the craft is beached on the shore of a strange island.

Fortunately, the people there are not immediately hostile. Communication is tenuously established -- a little awkwardly, through intermediaries who speak Japanese -- in any event, nobody gets shot or stabbed, and repairs are swiftly completed. Later ships from Dongshan will make the journey on purpose, trading for furs with these people who call themselves the Ainu.

Footnotes
[1] This happened IOTL once the Spanish realized they were losing a lot of silver to foreign trade. ITTL it’s the same, but it really hasn’t helped that Admiral Zheng backed the Portuguese against the Spanish in his power play on Dongshan.
[2] van Diemen was Brouwer’s assistant and succeeded him as Governor-General IOTL, when Brouwer was not reappointed due to his handling of trade disputes. Brouwer’s still around -- the Dutch East India Company is still appointing him to lead various exploratory missions.
[3] This was about the same as what happened IOTL. On the plus side, van Diemen and Tasman got stuff named after them.
[4] IOTL van Diemen was throwing Dutch men and materiel into a war with Cambodia, after King Ramathipadi violently expelled the Dutch from his country. When van Diemen died, his successor shelved his plans to escalate the conflict and mostly left Cambodia alone after that. Right now the Dutch still have access to some of that region but haven’t colonized as much because their attention was focused elsewhere, so tension in Cambodia is much lower. Also, King Ramathipadi converted to Islam and adopted the name Ibrahim. That isn’t relevant, I just thought it was cool.

Last edited: