Request : Sources on the Sturmabteilung AFTER 1934 ?

Hi there. Does anyone have any good sources or references for what the Sturmabteilung was up to after the Blood Purge of 1934 ? Like what roles and functions it carried out. What was it size. Did it have any reputation remaining ?

In addition to the availability of sources, the aspect of language is important, if German is suitable in addition to English, then the Organizationsbuch der NSDAP provides a lots of information contemporary to Sturmabteilung. Wikimedia commons has links to 7.th edition of this Organizationsbuch, ie version from later war era from 1943:
https://commons.wikimedia.org/wiki/...h_der_NSDAP_(IA_organisationsbuc00nati_0).pdf. The section for SA is from page 353 to 393, cooperation with party officials is from page 70 to 75. Organisationsbuch from 1943 describes for what the nazi party oficially needed the SA (and other organsations) in the later period and how SA was officially suposed to function.

The book is from United States Holocaust Memorial Museum Library and Wikimedia commons has the link to Archive.org full pdf as source: https://archive.org/download/organisationsbuc00nati_0/organisationsbuc00nati_0.pdf

Daniels Siemens' 'Stormtroopers. A New History of Hitler's Brownshirts' seems to be what you're looking for. I don't have it, but I listened to a German language presentation from the author on YouTube. It explores the whole history of the SA, including its often ignored post-1934 activities and its contribution to the Holocaust.

Daniels Siemens' 'Stormtroopers. A New History of Hitler's Brownshirts' seems to be what you're looking for. I don't have it, but I listened to a German language presentation from the author on YouTube. It explores the whole history of the SA, including its often ignored post-1934 activities and its contribution to the Holocaust.
thanks for the ref.

In addition to the availability of sources, the aspect of language is important, if German is suitable in addition to English, then the Organizationsbuch der NSDAP provides a lots of information contemporary to Sturmabteilung. Wikimedia commons has links to 7.th edition of this Organizationsbuch, ie version from later war era from 1943:
https://commons.wikimedia.org/wiki/...h_der_NSDAP_(IA_organisationsbuc00nati_0).pdf. The section for SA is from page 353 to 393, cooperation with party officials is from page 70 to 75. Organisationsbuch from 1943 describes for what the nazi party oficially needed the SA (and other organsations) in the later period and how SA was officially suposed to function.

The book is from United States Holocaust Memorial Museum Library and Wikimedia commons has the link to Archive.org full pdf as source: https://archive.org/download/organisationsbuc00nati_0/organisationsbuc00nati_0.pdf
unfortunately i only read English

So I got a hold of a copy of Daniels Siemens' 'Stormtroopers. Its not as detailed as i would like ( eg membership numbers are sparse) but it a least gives an overview of what happened.

The SA lost a bunch of members after 1934 but still managed to remain relevant even beating the SS in gaining control of the shooting and riding clubs in Germany . Continued serving as jackboots against the "untermenshen". They were heavily involved in propaganda and political education of the civilian population during this period. Formed branches in Austria, Sudetenland, Memel, Danzig laying the groundwork for thier annexations. Had a plan for the creation of SA villages colonizing the conquered Eastern Territories. Very few of these villages came to pass.

Suffered an even bigger loss of membership when WW2 started as all able bodied men were drafted. Those that remained behind became the manpower behind auxillery police, air raid wardens, first aid units. They also formed what were effectively einsatzgruppen in Poland before the SS formed actual einsatzgruppen during Barbarossa. After 1943 they were given a bigger role in maintaining public morale and rooting out defeatists. When the Volksturm were created in 1945 it was the SA that oversaw the training , equipping and leadership of these units though the Replacement Army was in operational command.

Last edited: