Recommended Reading for the Pacific War

Aslo do not forget the US amries offical history of WWII it covers all the land battles the US army fought in during WWII .

Peter Thompsons 'The Battle for Singapore' covers the Japanese conquest of Malaya in detail, and also provides a lot of information about the Chinese resistance and the prison camp at Changi.

Peggy Abkhazi's 'Enemy Subject' is an autobiography, but it gives a good description of life in a Japanese Internment Camp for Europeans

These two Osprey books by Gordon Rottman are great for information of tactics, equipment and organisation, and also give an overview of several Japanese campaigns

Japanese Army in World War 2 (1): Conquest of the Pacific
Japanese Army in World War 2 (2): The south Pacific and New Guinea

bard32

Banned
Problem is this kind of guy doesn't read does he! ;)
But it is a great idea. Helps all.

What's wrong with The History Channel? It has some nice shows. Shoot Out!,
which I haven't seen recently, had some good episodes about World II. The
episode about Guadalcanal was excellent. It got me inspired to write an alternate history novel about marines from Vietnam ending up on Guadalcanal.
There were others about World War II as well. The episode on Guadalcanal also put me back in touch with Guadalcanal Diary by Peter Tregaskas. Another
good book.

CalBear

Donor
Monthly Donor
What's wrong with The History Channel? It has some nice shows. Shoot Out!,
which I haven't seen recently, had some good episodes about World II. The
episode about Guadalcanal was excellent. It got me inspired to write an alternate history novel about marines from Vietnam ending up on Guadalcanal.
There were others about World War II as well. The episode on Guadalcanal also put me back in touch with Guadalcanal Diary by Peter Tregaskas. Another
good book.

Besides the fact that the programs are about as factual as Guadalcanal Diary or Battle Cry? Nothing. History (they amputated the "Channel") is a disgrace. It had the opprotunity to actually educate as it entertains, instead it shows poorly researched (or flat out lying) programing that builds up myth to fact (I mean, Japan tested a nuke? The stupidity overflows.)

bard32

Banned
Besides the fact that the programs are about as factual as Guadalcanal Diary or Battle Cry? Nothing. History (they amputated the "Channel") is a disgrace. It had the opprotunity to actually educate as it entertains, instead it shows poorly researched (or flat out lying) programing that builds up myth to fact (I mean, Japan tested a nuke? The stupidity overflows.)

I've read Guadalcanal Diary twice. Once in high school, and again very
recently. There was half a ton of uranium on a German U-boat that was bound for Japan. The special about that said they couldn't find any proof.

bard32

Banned
Peter Thompsons 'The Battle for Singapore' covers the Japanese conquest of Malaya in detail, and also provides a lot of information about the Chinese resistance and the prison camp at Changi.

Peggy Abkhazi's 'Enemy Subject' is an autobiography, but it gives a good description of life in a Japanese Internment Camp for Europeans

These two Osprey books by Gordon Rottman are great for information of tactics, equipment and organisation, and also give an overview of several Japanese campaigns

Japanese Army in World War 2 (1): Conquest of the Pacific
Japanese Army in World War 2 (2): The south Pacific and New Guinea

Walter Lord's The Coast Watchers is a good book about the Coast Watchers of the Solomons.

CalBear

Donor
Monthly Donor
I've read Guadalcanal Diary twice. Once in high school, and again very
recently. There was half a ton of uranium on a German U-boat that was bound for Japan. The special about that said they couldn't find any proof.

OH!
MY!
GOD!
:rolleyes::rolleyes::rolleyes::rolleyes::rolleyes::rolleyes::rolleyes::rolleyes:
:eek::eek::eek::eek::eek::eek:

Sargon

Donor
Monthly Donor
Quite possibly with bard, we have found something more impervious to things than Yamato's main turret faceplate armour.

Sargon

The Battle for Guadacanal
By Samuel B. Griffith II
Exactly what it says on the tin, though it covers a deal more about the land battles. Not saying it neglects the sea ones, though.

Race War! White Supremacy and the Japanese Attack on The British Empire
By Gerald Horne
Covers to some degree the pave-up to the war in the pacific.