Rebirth of an Empire "O Renascimento de um Império"

Lusitania

Donor
Scramble for Africa – Act 1

The continent of Africa, closest to Europe and the first to be “discovered” by the European was the last continent to be claimed by the world powers. The colonial powers: Portuguese, British, French and Dutch looked at Africa only as a way station to the far richer and more profitable Indian and Asian lands. From the 16th century the Ottoman Empire who took advantage of Europe’s “Laissez-faire” with Africa and at its height controlled much of North Africa from the Atlas Mountains to Egypt. What European control was exerted on the continent was limited to the coastal areas with the interior of the continent remaining almost completely unknown as disease, and hostile natives kept the Europeans at bay thus the term “Dark Continent”.

All this started changing in the late 18th century, first by the Portuguese then English. The Portuguese expansion was fuelled by a need to gain new territory and expand the economy. The Portuguese expansion and movement into the interior was facilitated by the composition of its settlers who mostly originated from India, Asia and America. Later large immigration from Europe was facilitated by advancements in fight against disease especially Malaria. The Portuguese expansion continued unabated so that by the middle of the middle of the 19th century it was the first to explore and expand deep into the continent.

The English presence on the African continent had too been limited to a few outposts along West Coast of Africa till the later part of the 18th century. It was the acquisition of the Dutch South Africa colony with its Mediterranean like climate free of many of the issues limiting European settlement in Africa that changed British views of Africa. South Africa soon became a favorite of British immigration, following the Napoleonic wars its population grew almost tenfold and the original Dutch settlers found themselves outnumbered and marginalized. The Afrikaners as they called themselves responded by moving inland in an effort to establish Afrikaner countries. Their freedom was short-lived as the British responded to the Portuguese African expansion by also moving inland. By 1840 the British grudgingly came to realize that their colony was boxed in by the Portuguese. From then their relationship with their neighbor became hostile and antagonist with each country supporting agitators in each other’s territory. The transfer of Zanzibar and the former Omani African coast along the Indian Ocean from the Portuguese did nothing to lessen the animosity. In fact it only seemed to strengthen British colonial and settler resentment towards the Portuguese.

Since their arrival on the African continent the French presence in Africa had been limited to their bases in West Africa: Senegal and Ivory Coast. To many like the Portuguese it was a great surprise that the French were able to keep their bases following the Napoleonic Wars. For 10 years following the war’s end the French did very little and for the most part ignored their African possessions just as the Portuguese and British expanded their holdings. That all changed with the ascension of Charles X to the French throne in 1823, for the next 10 years that there was a huge push by the French along the coast and also inland. The French used both military and diplomacy to subdue and/or ally themselves with the Africans in order to expand their territory and power. Under the leadership of Prince de Polignac, French Prime Minister, the French African plan was implemented hoping to box Portuguese Guinea. In Central Africa they established Pointe Noire north of the Portuguese province of Congo and made contact with the Kingdom of Loango to try and limit Portuguese expansions along the Congo River. Then in a bid to increase French strength in the Indian Ocean a combined military and diplomatic campaign in Madagascar was attempted. In 1830 France started its most ambitious and costly African expansion adventure, the conquest of the Bey of Algiers. The French government’s plan to quickly subdue Algiers and then move against the other Beys while at the same time limit Portuguese territory in Marrocos quickly came apart. France soon found itself bogged down in a prolonged military occupation of the Bey and only completed its conquest in the mid1840s. By then the political situation in France had changed drastically. The restoration of the 2nd republic in 1835 brought about political disarray as the French republic became unable to make decisive international decisions. While pride and Nationalism prevented French from walking away from their gains in Africa there no longer was any political will to move against the other Beys.

It was during Luis-Phillipe Bourbon third term as President of France, that two former enemies but still adversaries had a chance meeting that set in motion a political and economic dance that would last over 10 years. In 1844, King William II of Netherland eldest son, Prince Frederick, married Queen Charlotte’s of Great Britain fourth daughter Princess Victoria. It was a grand affair with representatives and European royalty from all over Europe including both Infante Miguel and Infanta Maria of Portugal. At the wedding and other festivities the Portuguese royal princes were treated with much fanfare and respect. It was at one of these festivities that a chance encounter between two great statements started what became known as the Hague Accord.

Lord Stanley, Great Britain’s Secretary of State for War and the Colonies met with Louis Napoleon Bonaparte, a rising figure in French government and French National assembly. The official reason for their meetings was to lessen the tensions between French and British colonies in Africa. The French from their base in the Ivory Coast and the British from their base in Ghana had several skirmishes around the Comoe River. But in reality the real reason was to coordinate British and French actions in Africa against the Portuguese and divide the remaining continent between the two countries.

Over the one week that Lord Stanley and Louis Napoleon Bonaparte spent in the Netherlands they met four times and came up with an agreement that would become a framework for French-British cooperation and strategy to limit Portuguese territory in Africa and divide the continent between the two powers. The clandestine meetings between the two governments continued for an additional two months before an agreement was reached.

On August 10, 1844 the Hague Accord was secretly signed between the British and French governments. Its main points were:

• Prohibition of any other country other than Britain and France from establishing colonies in Africa.
  • Guarantee the independence of the Bey of Tunis, Eyalet of Tripolitania, Kingdom of Egypt and Abyssinia
  • Extent of control was set at 500 miles or 800 km from coast
  • Support for each other in conflicts with Portugal.
  • Establishment of French Zones of control and influence on the continent of Africa.
    o French North Africa was defined as all lands between Portuguese North Africa and the Bey of Tunis
    o French West Africa was defined as all lands between Portuguese North Africa and Portuguese Guinea.
    o French Ivory Coast was defined as all land between Portuguese Guinea and Comoe River
    o French Congo was defined as all lands south of the Cross River and north of Portuguese Congo
    o French Indian Ocean was expanded to include the Island of Madagascar.
  • Establishment of British Zones of control and influence on the continent of Africa.
    o British West Africa was defined as all lands between the Comoe River and the Cross River
    o British South Africa was defined as all lands south of Portuguese Angola and Mozambique territories.
    o British East Africa was defines as all lands along Indian Ocean north of the Portuguese Mozambique.
There was no specific start and at first there really was no noticeable action or event that marked the accord. The only area that the British and French had any interaction was along the Gold Coast/Ivory Coast border. But by 1846 noticeable territory growth by both British and French raised alarms in the Portuguese provinces. Provincial governors and business men became concerned about British and French influence and control over previously neutral African tribes. The French either conquered or allied themselves with various tribes in the Senegal, Ivory Coast and Congo Areas. Portuguese traders and border settlements came under increased attacks. Meanwhile the British worked with several tribes in Southern Africa to both isolate the Afrikaners as well as increase British territory. The lack of troops and Portuguese political power on the national level also hampered Portuguese response.

The change came in middle of 1846 from two sources: First the territory the Portuguese Monarchists controlled had been reduced to about half of the Iberian Peninsula and northern Part of America. The Imperialist led by the Duke of Fez had set up a proper government in Fez. It not only directed the fight against the Monarchists but also strived to govern the country. Army commanders and intelligence agencies began working together to protect the kingdom. Secondly the British government of Robert Peel fell and was replaced by a new government led by the aged Duke of Wellington. All British support for the Monarchist disappeared and Britain as well as other European countries began dealing exclusively with the Imperialist government.

In 1847 Portuguese started actively countering both French and British actions. Weapons and support were provided to several adversaries of the British and French African allies. In 1848 British ambassador, now back in Lisboa, made several accusations and complains about Portuguese support to the Afrikaners to which the Portuguese government responded by denying any knowledge of such scheme and actions.

Hague Accord.png
African Continent circa 1848
Green – Portuguese (Areas Claimed shown as lines)
Pink – British (Areas Claimed shown as lines)
Blue - French (Areas Claimed shown as lines)

Hague Accord.png

Last edited:
It's good to see you back. I'm glad the story has not been dropped.

I was surprised the Scramble for Africa has been reached so soon, though. I suppose it is expected that by 1840 the first steps have been made in this timeline. I like the slow, detailed pacing of the story very much so it threw me off a bit that you were finally reaching this bit.

One thing I've noticed was the more balanced progress the nations have been making. Some posts have already labelled the story as 'wank' and I have to say I was not entire against that evaluation since Portugal seemed to be making a shit ton of progress just about everywhere while the others just seemed to be barely trying to catch up. This was good at first because Portugal was behind the others, but take care not to make it too "advanced".

As such, it's good to see other countries such as France and especially Britain be alert, too. I know Prussia was not interested in colonies until after the German Unification IOTL, but will things go differently ITTL?

Moreover, how do other great powers, such as Austria, Prussia and Russia, see Portugal's rise to stardom? We already know that France and Spain took the coldest part of the shower and that Britain is alert but still holds Portugal in small content, but what about the others?

Another thing I wanted to mention was that, even though I speak Portuguese, I think it'd be better for you writing if you minimized the Portuguese words in your writing so as to not throw off the non-Portuguese readers so much. In this post it was not noticeable, but in past ones it got pretty jarring because it hurt the "reading flow" of the story. I'm probably sounding a bit bizarre, but it's just my personal experience as a writer/reader/reviewer shaping my words.

I'd say my writing proficiency beats my historical one, so you'll probably see me calling you out more on your 'story' than on your 'history'. Forgive me, for I just mean to help.

Just a nitpicking, but make sure to include in the description below the map that the orange areas are the Afrikaneers. I know most people in the site would figure that out easily, but still.

I did enjoy the intrigue and all the little details. Your writing in general also seems cleaner and overall better than before, so the break did you good. Make sure not to repeat too much the same words in the same paragraphs. A trick to see if your chapters are flowing well is too read out loud some of the paragraphs to yourself. You want to make each post as enjoyable as possible.:)

Lusitania

Donor
It's good to see you back. I'm glad the story has not been dropped.
No not dropped just occupied with a few other things called life.

I was surprised the Scramble for Africa has been reached so soon, though. I suppose it is expected that by 1840 the first steps have been made in this timeline. I like the slow, detailed pacing of the story very much so it threw me off a bit that you were finally reaching this bit.
In TL it was to be expected as Portugal has moved very deep into Africa, the Zambezi River has been explored, the first tentative settlements and forts have been built there. The reaction from its adversaries was as expected. I wonder sometimes in iOTL if there had not been a Bismarck and a German desire to become a colonial power if the Scramble for Africa would of happened, it definitely would not of happened in the manner it did.

Also it is important to realize that due to the American anti British sentiments and a complete collapse of British emigration and investment there South Africa's population has exploded. In iOTL South Africa Caucasian population only reached 1 million by 1900 but in this TL its "European" population including the Afrikaners is close to 600,000 already by 1850. So is it not only a Portugal "Wank" but a TL where emigration happened differently thus changing the world. Spoiler - wait till you see what Napoleon does to French North Africa.

One thing I've noticed was the more balanced progress the nations have been making. Some posts have already labelled the story as 'wank' and I have to say I was not entire against that evaluation since Portugal seemed to be making a shit ton of progress just about everywhere while the others just seemed to be barely trying to catch up. This was good at first because Portugal was behind the others, but take care not to make it too "advanced". .

First thanks, second I do not know how to respond to some people saying it is "wank". Everything that I have written in the beginning of the TL is actually based on actual people and events. During Pombal's tenure as a Prime Minister Portugal did actually make great strides to create industry. Education was advanced and there was move of industry to Brazil. Even the expansion of Goa did happen (Indians and Portuguese-Indians did have same rights as Europeans. They did send representatives to the Portuguese parliament. So things did happen but they were either destroyed or abolished by events/people later on. Here they just grew and grew.

British India did grow as this TL (although much more). The Balanced approach also meant that Spain did emerge as a much larger and potentially rival to other countries. Kingdom of Canada is emerging as stronger and more powerful nation that will maintain many of its British heritages but also not feel like an "mouse in an elephant cage". Which was a Canadian expression of how they felt being beside USA during the 19th century.

As such, it's good to see other countries such as France and especially Britain be alert, too. I know Prussia was not interested in colonies until after the German Unification IOTL, but will things go differently ITTL?

Moreover, how do other great powers, such as Austria, Prussia and Russia, see Portugal's rise to stardom? We already know that France and Spain took the coldest part of the shower and that Britain is alert but still holds Portugal in small content, but what about the others?

The Prussian will stay European. In iOTL Prussia had a huge swath of territory in the west along the Rhine. Here their territory is limited to the East of the Elbe River and that will lead to a different outcome in regards to the German Unification. There will be a German Unification but in a different manner.

Austria-Hungary is marching on but that beast will have indigestion and stay put trying to make its many people play nice.

Russia will continue its traditional expansion into Asia

Great Britain and France will not wither away but especially France under Napoleon will urbanize and industrialize very rapidly. Netherlands with its Belgian provinces will also be a strong middle power. Plus have I mentioned some other countries who will also become stronger such as Italy (Italian unification will occur) and one of my favorites (Greece) will also get an opportunity to flex its wings.

Another thing I wanted to mention was that, even though I speak Portuguese, I think it'd be better for you writing if you minimized the Portuguese words in your writing so as to not throw off the non-Portuguese readers so much. In this post it was not noticeable, but in past ones it got pretty jarring because it hurt the "reading flow" of the story. I'm probably sounding a bit bizarre, but it's just my personal experience as a writer/reader/reviewer shaping my words.

Thanks I have been trying to minimize Portuguese words especially where they do not add to the story.

I'd say my writing proficiency beats my historical one, so you'll probably see me calling you out more on your 'story' than on your 'history'. Forgive me, for I just mean to help.

It is always interesting to get input because it makes the story telling better.

Just a nitpicking, but make sure to include in the description below the map that the orange areas are the Afrikaneers. I know most people in the site would figure that out easily, but still.

I did enjoy the intrigue and all the little details. Your writing in general also seems cleaner and overall better than before, so the break did you good. Make sure not to repeat too much the same words in the same paragraphs. A trick to see if your chapters are flowing well is too read out loud some of the paragraphs to yourself. You want to make each post as enjoyable as possible.:)

Corrected and noted thanks

Last edited:
whoa , its back :D i thought the story add been dropped, its so good to see this timeline back , The English and French , better start to accept Portuguese expansion, or they will fill the wrath of the might Portuguese Empire. But The English must never forget the Alliance they have with us , that dates back from the early Middle Ages . Cant hardly wait for the next chapters.:)

Lusitania

Donor
Will you go into sports in this world, Lusitania?

And, on another note...http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=GGlY3ubGzUY.

thank You all the fans of this TL.

As for sports I had been thinking of doing something to commemorate the 2014 World Cup and then I got this message. I thought back to a previous posting I had done in November 2009 #87. I was a bit ashamed of that post (not my best). So I thought I would brush it up a bit and repost it, Hope you all enjoy it

Zambezi National Stadium
City of Pombal
Province of Alto Zambeze
Portuguese Empire
May 30, 1920

The Rádio Renascença[1] technician looked over his control panel one last time and after a final check pressed the yellow button indicating 10 seconds until live transmission. In the press box overlooking the stadium the two announcers took their cue from the yellow light and got ready. When the red light came on Alfonso deMelo began by saying “Good afternoon my patriots this is Alfonso deMelo with João Silva and we are almost ready to start the final match of the Taça Real de Futebol X”[2].

“Yes Alfonso and once again we find ourselves back at this magnificent stadium for the final of this stupendous tournament.” João Silva added

“It has been a month of the best football played in the country and the world. We have seen upsets and witnessed moments that will go down in history” Alfonso continued. “From the first game on May 1 between last year’s winner Cartaginenses and Os Fuzileiros to today’s final game between Benfica and Vasco da Gama the country had been fixated on the games.”

Two press boxes to the left, Canadian journalist Arthur Brisbane looked over his notes as he waited for the game to start. He was one of only a handful of foreign journalists who had made the trek to the middle of Africa to report on the world’s largest football tournament. Back in Canada, football was the most popular sport only in the Southern provinces almost unknown in the Northern provinces. He reported on the Canadian Soccer League that now had 12 teams all located in the south.[3] Being a reported for the Kingston Observer did not allow for extravagances so he had been obliged to travel by ship to São Felipe de Benguela on the Atlantic coast then taken a train through the Angola Highlands and Upper Zambezi to the city of Pombal, the capital and largest city in the province of Upper Zambezi.

The tournament was held in 10 cities located throughout the provinces of Upper Zambezi and Lower Zambezi scattered over an area of 1500 miles. It would have been impossible for one person to cover all the games so several reporters from English speaking countries in Portugal to cover the tournament had met in Pombal to plan the coverage of games. At the meeting there was Garnett John-Peter Kruger and Graeme Craig Smith from the Union of South Africa, Angelina Tesla from the Republic of Florida, and Peter Hartcher from the
Australian Confederation. Together they divided up the round robin games, elimination rounds games and play offs, in total 87 games between them. Arthur Brisbane had been stationed in Pombal to cover the 2 games a day played at one of its four stadiums. The city of Pombal with a population of over 1.5 million was larger than any Canadian city in the Southern provinces.[4]

Next door, Angelina Tesla also prepared herself for the final game; she envied the Portuguese radio announcers next door. They were reporting live to the whole Portuguese Empire, ironically using the technology her brother had invented. Radio stations transmitted in the Republic of Florida and most of the rest of the world but it was the Portuguese who had made it a national obsession to put a radio in every home.[5] As the radio announcers took a break from their commentary she heard a radio ad for NT Radios. She chucked that her brother’s company is Detroit, Canada was making a fortune selling the Portuguese radios. For all reports almost all radio shops were sold out throughout the country.

She thought back to her home and wondered about the state of football there. She wondered if the merger talks between the Republic / Confederation league and the Canadian league had concluded. The Canadian League’s previous expansion into Haiti three years prior had turned out to be a great success for both countries. Her last article for the Jacksonville Herald, before she left for Portugal, had revealed that the last major obstacle left was the number of teams that would be allowed to join the CSL. The CSL only wanted three teams to join while the republic / confederation league were holding out for five teams. She had not been able to find out before she left which team the republic / confederation league was willing to sacrifice.

Just then the commercial ended and João Silva started talking “Good afternoon ladies and gentlemen the players from Benfica and Vasco da Gama are on the field warming up and the stadium is filling up. It is a sold out game just like all the games in the tournament and you can feel the excitement building in the stadium.”

“Yes” replied Alfonso deMelo “Now just in case some of our listeners have been asleep for the last month lets recap the tournament to date. Following last year’s tournament where Cartaginenses won for a second year in a row the Portuguese Royal Soccer League voted to make it a truly national tournament with representatives for all areas of the Empire. The tournament was expanded from 16 to 24 teams and increased to four weeks.”

“That is correct and instead of the top teams from each league automatically qualifying as in previous years” continued João Silva. “This year each league held Cup qualifying games with teams playing against each other for the prestige of representing their league. This year also marked the first time that teams from the West Africa and Arabia Leagues were represented. Each of the larger leagues also had their representation increased. The teams that qualified this year were as follows:”

• Representing the Metropolitan League
    • Benfica from Lisboa
    • FCP from Oporto
    • Cartaginenses from Tânger
  • Representing the West Africa League
    • Leões from Vasco da Gama.
  • Representing the America League
    • Flamengo from Rio de Janeiro
    • Atlético Mineiro from Belo Horizonte
    • Nationais from Montevidéu
  • Representing the Africa League
    • Benfica Luanda from Luanda
    • Esperito Santo from Benguela
    • Herois Fieis from Pombal
    • Academica from Nova Coimbra
    • Cultural Beira from Beira
    • Indios Nationais de Lourenço Marques
  • Representing the Arabian League
    • Os Sultanos from Mascate
  • Representing the India League
    • Vasco da Gama from Panjim,
    • FCB from Bombaim
    • Os Fieis from Calecute
    • Os Marinheiros from Damão
  • Representing the East Indies League
    • Albuquerque from Malaca
    • Herois do Mar from Dili
    • Imperiais from Macáçar
  • Representing the Estremo Oriente League
    • Os Frades from Hanói
    • CDM from Macau
    • Os Fuzileiros from Nanhing
“But what truly made this tournament a national extravaganza was that each team’s provincial head of state also are in attendance” added Alfonso deMelo. “Each of the 24 Duqueses[6] in addition to coming to the tournament brought a variety of culinary, artistic and cultural representatives from their provinces. I can tell you it has been a huge hit with the fans as they not only got to see the best football in the world but got to sample food and see different art and performances from different regions of the empire.”

“It has been truly amazing; one of the most unforgettable parts of this tournament for me” said João Silva “Has been the amazing way in which Príncipe Real D. Manuel, who as Emperor D. Carlos I’s representative and presenter of the cup has played host to every Duque and Duchess. He has crisscrossed the two provinces and seen every team play at least once. Last night he hosted the Duque of Goa D. Carlos Marques II and the Duque of Estremadura D. Alfonso Silves II to a royal gala with not only the other 22 Dukes and Duchesses but tens of thousands of common people who reveled in the music and entertainment.”

“Yes and let’s not forget the stupendous inaugural ball that almost every Duke and Duchess from the African provinces and beyond attended as well as several foreign dignitaries” Beamed Alfonso deMelo. “There were many reports that some of those dignitaries talked about an international tournament. While some of the Portuguese royals and officials talked about the creation of a 40 team super league encompassing the entire empire.[7]

“While Príncipe Real D. Manuel is an avid fan he is also a people person who has wadded deep into the crowds to meet the fans. He also played host to several heads of state such as the President of Argentina and the King of Vietnam who he personally took on the royal plane to see Cataratas Imaculada Conceição"[8] said João Silva over the noise of the now full stadium.

The stadium noise grew to a fever pitch as the flags of the Vasco da Gama came on to the field followed by the Duke of Goa and his retinue then the players and coaches of the team. D. Manuel officially welcomed the Duke to the Royal pavilion, which provided Príncipe Real and his dignitaries with excellent view of the pitch as well as privacy and protection, while the player lined up on the field. When the Duke had been welcomed the flags of Benfica came on to the field followed by the Duke of Estremadura then the players and coaches of the team. D. Manuel officially welcomed the Duke and his retinue to the Royal pavilion and the players lined up on the field waiting for the match to start.

When D. Manuel and his guest were ready an announcement was made on the loud speakers for everyone to stand. People stood for the first anthem and the band played the Hino Patriótico. At the end D. Manuel and the two Dukes made their way to the front of the pavilion. Flanked by the Guarda Real Ceremonial they then walked down the stairs to the pitch.

After about half a minute the band once again began playing but this time it was the Hino Nacional. Every man, women and child from the highest born to the lowest knew it and felt it. The stadium resonated with the voices of over 80,000. They sang the words born on the battlefield when the country faced its greatest threat over 100 years before but now formed part of every Portuguese’s psyche.

Herois do mar, nobre povo,
Nação valente, imortal,
Levantai hoje de novo
O esplendor de Portugal!
Entre as brumas da memoria,
Oh patria sente-se a voz
Dos teus egrégios avós,
Que há-de guiar-te à vitória!

Às armas, às armas!
Sobre a terra, sobre o mar,
Às armas, às armas!
Pela patria lutar!
Contra os canhões marchar, marchar!

II
Desfralda a invicta bandeira,
À luz viva do teu céo!
Brade a Europa á terra inteira:
Portugal não pereceu!
Beija o teu sólo jucundo
O Oceano, a rugir de amor;
E o teu braço vencedor
Deu mundos novos ao mundo!

Às armas, às armas!
Às armas, às armas!
Pela patria lutar!
Contra os canhões marchar!

III
Saudai o sol que desponta
Sobre um ridente porvir;
Seja o eco de uma afronta
O sinal do resurgir.
Raios dessa aurora forte
São como beijos de mãe,
Que nos guardam, nos sustêm,
Contra as injurias da sorte.

Às armas, às armas!
Às armas, às armas!
Pela patria lutar!
Contra os canhões marchar!!

[1] Rádio Renascença, Rádio Luso and RDP were licenced and financially backed by the Portuguese government to provide radio coverage throughout the whole country in 1910; the momentous feat had only been accomplished in 1919. Rádio Renascença was headquartered in Rio de Janeiro; Rádio Luso was headquartered in Panjim and RDP in Lisboa. Regional broadcasters were licensed by Provincial governments.

[2] Royal Football Cup X

[3] Canadian Soccer League was made up of the following teams:
· Kingston Lions and Portmore United both from the Island of Jamaica,
· United Petrotrin and Trinity Professionals both from the island of Trinidad,
· Georgetown Cobras and Georgetown United both from the province of Guiana,
· Riverplate from the island of Antigua,
· Bridgetown Hawks from island of Barbados,
· Spice Nationals from island of Grenada
· Nassau United from province of Bahamas
· Violette and Tempête both from city of Port-au-Prince (Republic of Haiti)

[4] Canadian Southern Provinces:
· Jamaica (includes Cayman Islands).
· Bahamas (includes Turks and Caicos)
· Canadian Antilles (all English speaking islands north of Trinidad and Tobago)
· Trinidad and Tobago
· Giana

[5] In 1920 radios were still very expensive and the average Portuguese worker could not afford one, but almost every tavern and coffee shop in the country had one and Portuguese from all walks of life were glued to their sets to hear the tournament.

[6] Duke or Duchess which per Portuguese constitution was each province’s head of state

[7] The advancement in air travel with the development of the PL-7 aeroplane by Lusitania Aeronáutica in 1914 and the similar A-10 aeroplane by Santos Dumont Aeronáutica in 1915 had allowed regular air travel between Portuguese and allied cities. This would allow for the transportation of whole teams in a matter of hours as opposed to days by ship.

[8] iOTL Victoria Falls, in TL discovered in 1822 by Portuguese Explorer Louis João Pimentel.​

Last edited:
Good to see the TL back, Lusitania!:)
There's a few typos: where it reads "Joao" it should be "João". I think that in "D. Alfonso Silves II", you meant "D. Alfonso Silva II" (I haven't heard of any modern person with the locative surname Silves)

Lusitania

Donor
Good to see the TL back, Lusitania!:)
There's a few typos: where it reads "Joao" it should be "João". I think that in "D. Alfonso Silves II", you meant "D. Alfonso Silva II" (I haven't heard of any modern person with the locative surname Silves)

I fixed the typos my bad I should of known better, and I do.

As for Silves I was wondering if being a name that would of gone back over 100 years and royal. Second cousin of King, I wonder if they would of kept a more older name. To distinguish themselves from others common names. What do you think? in iOTL I wonder about British Royals and other aristocrats have they modernized their names?

Any one know?

I fixed the typos my bad I should of known better, and I do.

As for Silves I was wondering if being a name that would of gone back over 100 years and royal. Second cousin of King, I wonder if they would of kept a more older name. To distinguish themselves from others common names. What do you think? in iOTL I wonder about British Royals and other aristocrats have they modernized their names?

Any one know?
Sorry, I was in a rush and forgot to recommend the change of Alfonso to Afonso (Alfonso is Italian and Spanish) in the various persons with the name, and "Alfonso deMelo" to "Afonso de Melo".
Silves can be kept as a surname, if there's an hint that the person represents a post-POD cadet branch of the royal house.

Lusitania

Donor
Bom Dia e muito Obrigado (Good Day and Thanks)

After taking a little time off (ok lots of time off) I have returned and will be updating the TL on a regular basis again.

My first set of stories will deal with the military, political and economic situation in the Americas. Those reading the upcoming posts may not remember the preceding posts (1825- 1847) I thought that a summary might be helpful.

This is not a substitute for the actual posts and I invite those wishing a more indebt understanding to re-read those posts. For those not wishing or unable to here is the summary:

Espanha

• 1836 - San Jacinto Treaty in 1836 signed between Espanha and Estados Unidos ended the Texas Revolution. The main provisions of the treaty were:
    • Guaranteed amnesty to all American settlers residing in the province of Texas except for all leaders of the “Republic of Texas” both political and military.
    • All imprisoned American Settlers who declared their support for the King of Espanha were to be released immediately and allowed to continue living in Texas.
    • All remaining imprisoned American settlers who refused to declare their support for the King of Espanha to be released and expelled from Espanha.
    • All imprisoned American citizens to be released and expelled from Espanha.
    • Compensation for all lost property of all expelled American citizens or settlers.
    • Re-affirmation that Sabina Treaty recognizing Texas, Santa Fé de Nuevo México and Alta California as part of Espanha
  • 1830 to 1845 - Spanish resettlement of northern territories; Texas, Alto California and Santa Fe increased Spanish speaking population dramatically. Santa Fe was the first territory to achieve Spanish majority. Alta California and Texas also noticed significant increases but this also increased tensions between American and Spanish settlers.
  • 1839 - The Progressive Nationalist Party used the war and the growing nationalism to propel itself to power
  • 1840 - José Ramón Rodil y Campillo, the Duque of Vera Cruz, Espanha’s Prime Minister and General Antonio López de Santa Anna the Minister for Foreign Affairs and War began planning to write the wrongs of the last century by regaining what Espanha had lost.
Espanha & Peru

• 1845 - General Tomás de Zumalacárregui, the Marques de San Antonio (Hero of Texas Revolt) was appointed in Charge of Espanha’s re-conquest of Peru. General Tomás finally consented on condition new Spain increase the border provinces’ defenses.
  • 1845 - Santa Anna reneged on his agreement with General Tomás and never began the program of fortification and to compound the situation moved almost half the soldiers from the north to the New Madrid area to better deal with perceived threats against the government.
  • 1845 Oct 10 to Dec 10 - Spanish army defeated Peruvian forces led by General Andrés de Santa Cruz y Calaumana and arrive on the outskirts of Peru’s Capital, Lima.
  • 1845 Dec 15 - Spanish Navy captured port of Callao (providing Spanish troops besieging Lima with a port for supplies and re-enforcements).
  • 1845 Dec 11 to 1846 April 25 - Siege of Lima (Spanish army suffered 30-45% attrition due to disease)
  • 1846 Feb 15 - General Tomás fell sick and could no longer lead army. He is moved to Callao on March 2 and then taken by ship to Panama to recuperate.
  • 1846 March 26 - General Santa Anna arrived in Peru to take command of Spanish forces in Peru.
  • 1846 April 25 - Spanish forces breached Lima’s defenses and entered city. General Santa Anna did not control troops and city was subjected to personal and property attacks by Spanish troops.
  • 1846 May - General Andrés de Santa Cruz y Calaumana organized Peru’s last remaining forces, volunteers and civilian rfugees for a last stand at Arequipa.
  • 1846 May - General Santa Anna ordered General Manuel Javier Rodríguez Erdoíza to invade Peru from Spanish province of Chile
  • 1846 Jun 5 – News arrived at Lima that Estados Unidos has declared war.
  • 1846 June 10 – An angry and dejected General Santa Anna left Lima and traveled overland to Callao then by Ship to Oajaca and then overland to New Madrid.
  • 1846 June 15 - General Manuel Javier Rodríguez Erdoíza arrived at Arequipa Peru and discovered that he and his forces are outnumber 2-1 by the Peruvians. Southern Spanish army sets up camp awaiting the rest of the Spanish forces to arrive from north.
  • 1846 June – Dissention among the Spanish army officers in Lima kept them in the Peruvian capital and they never left to attack the Peruvians at Arequipa.
  • 1846 June 18 - General Andrés de Santa Cruz y Calaumana took advantage of Spanish situation and launched an attack on General Manuel Javier Rodríguez Erdoíza army. Spanish forces were defeated and General Andrés de Santa Cruz y Calaumana and his remaining forces were captured.
  • 1847 Jan 1 - General Manuel Javier Rodríguez Erdoíza and his army are released by the Peruvians with 1 weeks supplies but no weapons.
  • 1847 Feb 10 – Spanish army beset by internal division and suffering low moral were defeated at the 2nd battle of Lima.
  • 1847 February – General Thomas arrived in Bogota and began recruiting and training a new army to invade Peru again. News of the loss of Lima and subsequent news of General Calaumana march north made him change his mind and he decides to prepared the new army to stop the Peruvians. He personally led the training of the soldiers and militia and inspired them.
  • 1847 March – Remnants of the Spanish army retreated to the city of Callao. There with the help of the Spanish navy they were able to repulse Peruvian attacks.
  • 1847 March 1 - Santiago declared its independence from Espanha following their defeat by Peru the previous year and the suspension of the constitution in New Madrid.
  • 1847 March 24 - General Calaumana left part of the Peruvian army surrounding the Spanish in Callao and marched north with 20, 000 soldier and militia in an attempt to capture Bogota.
  • 1847 April – Peruvian forces marched north not encountering any opposition and captured the cities of Quito, Pasto Popayan and Cali. But when they arrived at the town of Pereira they are defeated by General Thomas and his Spanish forces. General Calaumana and his forces fled south with the Spanish hot on their heels. General Thomas and his forces finally caught up with the Peruvians attack and defeat them along the río Guayllabamba.
  • 1847 April 28 – A triumphant Spanish army marched through the city of Quito with the remains of the captured Peruvian army in its midst.
  • 1847 May 4 – Spanish Officials and King Carlos V secretly traveled south from Vera Cruz and met with General Thomas in the city of Quito.
  • 1847 May 7 – King Carlos V led the Spanish negotiations with Peruvians who was led by Calaumana. There he offered to recognize Chile’s independence and also adjust the Spanish Peruvian border. Three days later, Peru and Espanha signed the Gayaquil Peace Treaty. The Spanish Peruvian border was moved south and Peru would no longer face Espanha on two fronts. Espanha also forgave Peru’s debt and assumed Peru’s debt with other countries.
  • 1847 May 20 - the Spanish army accompanied by both King Carlos V and General Tomás marched triumphantly unopposed into the city of Santiago. General Manuel Javier Rodríguez Erdoíza and Chile’s leader José Joaquín Prieto Vial had both been arrested by the Chilean forces who at the sight of both the king and General Tomás at the forefront of a Spanish Army revolted against the insurrection. In Santiago, King Carlos V proclaimed the Constitutional Monarchy of Chile with him as the head of the country and the government to be elected by the people. The first Chilean constitution was an exact copy of the Spanish one.
  • 1847 June 10 the Spanish left Santiago and sailed north and landed at the Royal port of Acapulco.
Estados Unidos

• American attitudes toward Espanha hardened with the defeat of the Texas Revolt. Majority of Americans believed it America’s destiny to expand from Atlantic to Pacific.
  • 1840 - Federalists won both the congress and well as the Presidency, Daniel Webster elected president.
  • 1845 – Invasion of Peru by Espanha caused many in and out of American government to demand American military response. President Daniel Webster hesitated at first as he feared European interference (Great Britain and Portugal).
    President Webster attempted to negotiate with Great Britain in order to remove the threat of British intervention in a Spanish-American war. He offered to remove American laws limiting trade and entry in the USA of British citizens. British Government of Robert Peel jumped at opportunity and agreed as part of negotiations to return portions of American territory seized during War of 1814. (Portion of their colonies of Michigan, Lower Canada, Upper Canada and Wellington plus giving America access to Lake Michigan and the Great Lakes.
  • 1846 April 15 - Estados Unidos gave Espanha an ultimatum to withdraw from Peru in 30 days while at the same time ordered American Troops in West to invade Espanha.
  • 1846 summer – Social Unrest in British North America and Great Britain caused British Government of Robert Peel to fall. New British government of Wellington reneged on the agreement.
  • 1846 autumn - American elections for congress occurred under the uncertainty of War against west and British intentions. Federalists lost control of congress as a combination of angry Northern workers and Western settlers decimated the new party and it lost congress to the democrats.
  • 1846 winter – Americans flocked to volunteer against the “Spanish Imperialistic Tyrant”. The American Newspapers all wrote editorials whipping up Americans against not only Spain but also British and the Indian Confederacy.
  • 1846 December 18 – President Webster shot by stranger.
  • 1847 February 2 James Polk elected by Senate as new American President. Richard Mentor Johnson elected by Senate as Vice President.
  • 1847 March to May - President Polk and American government believing the war against the Spanish was almost won began planning the liberation of America from Portuguese occupation “Portuguese Protectorates”. US government negotiated treaty with Monarchist government in Lisboa. Alabama-Florida Repatriation Act was tied in in senate by northern senators.
  • 1847 April to May – US Navy prepared to invade Espanha at the Port of Baltimore.
  • 1847 April to May – State Militia of US states bordering the Portuguese Protectorates prepared for invasion of the Protectorates. State Militias from several neighbouring states a also started arriving. Northern States refused to participate in what was perceived as an act slavery.
  • 1847 May 20 - Alabama-Florida Repatriation Act approved at last minute when news reached Washington of the Portuguese Imperialist victory in Battle de Beja.
  • 1847 May 22 and 24 – Estados Unidos began their invasion of the “unlawful states of Alabama and Florida”.
  • 1847 July and August –US Border States along BNA are overwhelmed by close to 750,000 internal refugees fleeing from the Northern Indian invaders.
  • 1847 July 2 – Portuguese government (Queen Maria) met with American Ambassador, John E Wright, in Lisboa. Portuguese government gave Estados Unidos with ultimatum to withdraw from Portuguese Protectorates by end of July or a state of War would exist between Portugal and Estados Unidos.
  • 1847 August 7 – Portuguese Navy began attacking American coastal defenses and blockading American Ports. American Naval Task force off Cuba attacked and defeated. Leaving the American forces landed on the island cutoff.
  • 1847 August 20 – British Ambassador issued ultimatum to Estados Unidos threatening British Military Action if the US did not stop all military aggression against its neighbors by end of year.
  • 1847 September 20 – 30th Congress convened, President Polk presented congress with several bills: admit Texas as a state authorized the recruitment of 100,000 federal troops and to build over 100 Navy Ships including several armored ships. Congress balked at costs and Congress is deadlocked.
British North America (BNA)

• 1815 to 1846 – BNA became primary source of emigrants from British Isles as well as Catholics from Europe due to the American anti-British/anti-Catholic attitude. Population boomed due to large immigration and internal growth. By 1846 population of BNA northern colonies reached over 2,700,000. The population of BNA Caribbean colonies was about 500,000.
  • 1846 spring – News of British / American agreement caused British colonies to erupt in protest. British governor General Sir Charles Grey forced to call out military and militia. Over 500 people died in riots, and over 100 government buildings include Governor General’s residency burned down.
  • 1846 summer – British government of Robert Peel fell and Queen Charlotte I asks Duke of Wellington y to form new government. Duke of Wellington reneged on the agreement.
  • 1846 autumn - Duke of Wellington appointed the popular former Governor General Gordon Drummond, who had received the title of the Earl of Halifax, as new BNS governor General. GG Drummond set sail from London to Quebec City to tried and re-establish control over BNA.
  • 1847 spring to autumn – British Colonies call out their militia and several border skirmishes with the US Border States’ militias pushed the British and Americans to open war.

Northern Indian Confederation

• Confederation encompassed all lands between Lake Queen Charlotte[1] and the Mississippi River to the southern edge of Lake Superior
  • 1938 - Leader Jean Baptiste Richardville made a historic visit to the Mohawk Nation, Quebec City and then Southern Indian Confederation. It was during this visit that the Northern Indian confederation signed mutual defense treaty with the Southern Indian Confederation.
  • 1847 June –Northern Indian Confederation and Mohawk Nation begin mobilizing when word reached them of the American preparation for the invasion of Portuguese Protectorates (Southern Indian Confederation)
  • 1847 July - Northern Indian Confederation invaded Estados Unidos. Indian “army” composed of mounted warriors and female artillery regiments. American states of Illinois and Indiana went up in flame. American forts along the border were bypassed and farms, villages, towns and even cities in the states were attacked.
Espanha / American War

• Estados Unidos war plans was to invade Espanha on two fronts; liberation of Texas under command of General Taylor and liberation of California under the command of General Kearny.
    Fear of British and Portuguese caused several states from authorizing their state militias to leave.
  • 1846 July 14 – General Santa Anna arrived in New Madrid finding the government and capital in panic. The Northern Provinces’ defenses had been severely weakened by previous government actions. But fear in New Madrid prevented the government from sending troops north.
  • 1846 Aug 1 – Spanish Constitution suspended and King Carlos V imprisoned.
  • 1847 Feb 20 - General José Joaquín de Herrera and a group of the supporters of both the king and the constitution rescued King Carlos V who had been held captive in Castelo de Chapultepec (Chapultepec Castle). General José Joaquín de Herrera and his army held off General Santa Ana while the king and his family were safely moved to the city of Vera Cruz
  • 1847 March 1 - In Vera Cruz, King Carlos V named Baldomero Espartero, Duke of Panama, as the new Prime Minister while trying to negotiate a peaceful end to the civil war with the government in New Madrid.
  • 1847 June 29 - General Santa Ana was attacked during the evening at his home while he slept. His guards were nowhere to be found and General Santa Ana facing 10 armed executioners pleaded for his life but to no avail. He died hanged from the balcony of his home.
  • 1847 July – The government of Prime Minister José Ramón Rodil y Campillo was shaken by the assassination of General Santa Ana and the arrival of General Tomás with the southern Army in the port city of Acapulco.
  • 1847 July 12 – In a last ditch effort, José Ramón Rodil y Campillo proclaimed the creation of the Republic of Spain hoping to receive support from the liberal elements of the city. Instead the army around New Madrid revolted against Prime Minister José Ramón Rodil y Campillo.
  • 1847 July 20 - José Ramón Rodil y Campillo was arrested by the army of New Madrid as General Thomas and King Carlos V arrived on the outskirts of the city with an army of 15,000 veteran soldiers.
  • 1847 July 21 - On July 21 a triumphant King Carlos V was greeted with great enthusiasm and fanfare by the people of the city of New Madrid. Celebrations were cut short that day when news arrived from Vera Cruz of America’s invasion of the island of Cuba and the capture of Havana.
Espanha / American War – Alto California Campaign (Nuevo México)

• 1846 May 14 – American army of 10,000 under command of General Kearny invaded New Mexico
  • 1846 June 22 – American forces defeated Spanish forces under command of General Albino Pérez. Capital Santa Fe captured. Militia commander Manuel Antonio Chaves escaped south to Albuquerque and began training militia and peasants in resisting American occupation.
  • 1846 June to November – American forces attempted to defeat Commander Manuel Antonio Chaves and his militia of peasants. But the Spanish militia refused to engage in large fights and instead used similar action the Spanish used against Napoleon in the Iberian Peninsula. Spanish population which numbered over 15,000 were hostile towards Americans. Total American loses reached over 2,000.
  • 1846 November 10 - Colonel Yell and 2,500 Arkansas militia arrived in Santa Fe, two weeks later General Kearny and 8,000 American soldiers marched west towards Alto California.
  • 1847 January to December Commander Manuel Antonio Chaves and his militia began a war of attrition and hit and run against both Arkansas militia and federal troops. To make matters worse for the Americans Colonel Yell refused to take orders from the Federal army commander Colonel Price. By June 1847 American forces would not venture south of Santa Fe while the Spanish militia closed border to Estados Unidos several times.
  • 1847 September Colonel Yell and Arkansas Militia abandoned New Mexico and returned to Arkansas when news arrived of Spanish raids against their state.
  • 1847 October to December - 500 regular Spanish soldiers arrived in Albuquerque as well as additional weapons and 4 small canons.
  • 1847 December 1 – Spanish Army promoted Commanded Chaves to General Chaves in charge of all troops and militia in the Nuevo México.
  • 1847 December 12 – General Chaves and his Spanish forces defeated the American Federal troops in the 2nd battle of Santa Fe. Colonel Price and 650 American troops were captured.
Espanha / American War – Alto California Campaign

• 1846 November to 1847 March – General Kearny and American troops made their way from New Mexico to Alto California through hostile Spanish and Indian Territory. He divided his forces into 3 separate commands of about 2500 each and they set out 2 weeks apart using the northern route towards California.
  • US Navy Commodore John Sloat prowled along the Pacific Ocean with the US Pacific Fleet, while American settlers along the Sacramento Valley kept Spanish forces and government officials on edge.
  • 1846 November 15 & December 1 – US Navy was repulsed in their attack on San Diego and Los Angeles.
  • 1847 February 16 – General Kearny and the first American command arrived at Mission San Gabriel Arcángel. Indian scouts warned Spanish forces and General Pico and over 2,100 Spanish troops and militia arrived at the Mission on Feb 26.
  • 1847 February 26 – Spanish forces surprised American forces and inflicted heavy casualties on the Americans. General Kearny is forced to retreat east hoping to meet up with next American group under command of Colonel Doniphan. American casualties numbered 1200 with 700 men lost in first 20 minutes of attack.
  • 1847 March 5 – General Kearny regrouped his American troops attacked the Spanish at San Pasqual. Americans are defeated again and General Kearny is killed. Colonel Doniphan retreated and led the remnants of the American forces north in the hope of reaching the American settlements along the Sacramento Valley.
  • 1847 March 12 – General Pico and Spanish forces defeated the last American group arriving in California.
  • 1847 April 2 – Colonel Doniphan and less than 1500 American soldier arrived in Sacramento to a hero’s welcome. American settlers enlisted and by end of June American forces in the Sacramento Valley numbered close to 3,500. They goal was to protect the American settlers and attack Spanish forces to the south.
  • 1847 July 21 – Joint American force (From sea and land) attacked and captured the San Francisco Assisi pueblo. All Spanish soldiers and militia were killed during attack or after surrendering.
  • 1847 August 10 – Joint American force attacked Pueblo of Santa Cruz. But Spanish had reinforced the garrison and inflicted heavy casualties on the attacking American forces. Colonel Doniphan retreated to San Francisco.
  • 1847 August 20 – Spanish Navy arrived off the California coast and engaged the American Navy. Naval Battle was draw with both navies losing 3 ships. The American Navy withdrew to San Francisco and Spanish withdrew to Pueblo de Los Angeles.
Espanha / American War - Texas Campaign

• 1846 spring – General Scott and his American forces numbering over 25,000 made plans to invade the Province of Texas. Facing them was Spanish General Maroto who commanded over 12,000 soldiers but they were spread out over 1000 miles.
  • 1846 May 13 – General Scott invaded Northern Espanha with 10,000 men while his second in command General Taylor invaded Texas north of Augustine. General Maroto retreated back to the Neches River and ordered all troops to fall back to the river.
  • 1846 May – Spanish troops retreated across Neches River and destroyed all river craft. General Maroto ordered his troops to torch anything that could not be carted away. All Spanish civilians are sent south while hostile Americans are neutralized and their farms destroyed.
  • 1846 May to June – American forces are overwhelmed by thousands of desperate American settlers who had lost everything and were on the verge of starvation. American forces are forced bring all supplies from Estados Unidos for the thousands of troops, horses and now several thousand American settlers who refused to leave the safety of the American armies. American forces reached Trinity River and encountered all vegetation torched. As American forces continued their advancements deeper into Texas they have to battle raiding Indians who were also displaced by the ranging wild fires. General Taylor army suffered from disease. The retreating Spanish Army contaminated abandoned farm wells and more than half of General Taylor army is afflicted. By the time the American forces reached Guadalupe River they have suffered close to 2,000 casualties.
  • 1846 June 17 – General Taylor and his American forces reached the fortified Spanish city of San Antonio.
  • 1846 June 19 – General Taylor forces attacked the Spanish city after two days of artillery barrage. Spanish forces only return fire when the American forces were 500 feet from earthworks. Over 20,000 Spanish soldiers and militia along with the Spanish artillery killed and maimed thousands of American soldiers forcing them to retreat.
  • 1846 June 19 – General Scott and the remaining American soldiers as well as over 4,000 American settlers arrived in the San Antonio River Valley as the American forces under the command General Taylor retreated.
  • 1846 June 19 – General Smith and the Louisiana Militia arrived in the valley from the north east also burdened by more American Settlers.
  • 1846 June 19 – General Maroto offered a 6 hour truce to allow the American’s to retrieve their wounded and dead.
  • 1846 June 20 – All three American Generals met to assess the American situation and plan strategy. The American Federal Army had been reduced to just over 20,000 while General Smith militia numbered about 7,500. In addition there were now over 5,000 American settlers attached to the American forces. Most worrisome was the need to supply the over 30,000 soldiers and civilians from Estados Unidos.
  • 1846 July 1 – General Scott ordered the artillery barrage of San Antonio. On July 4, Independence Day, close to 25,000 soldiers and militia attacked the Spanish along all four fronts. Spanish forces surprised the Americans by attacking the American artillery positions with large 20 pounders as the American attack was underway. American artillery barrage stopped and hundreds of artillery men were killed or wounded in the barrage. General Maroto and his forces defeated the second American attack and the Americans are forced to retreat. General Taylor was either captured or killed in the attack.
  • 1846 July 4– American Federal forces suffered 30% loss while militia suffered close to 50%. Over 600 soldiers and militia are missing and presumed captured. General Smith and remaining Louisiana militia angry at the perceived Federal trickery announced they are withdrawing east to the Neches River to regroup and receive additional re-enforcements. American forces were forced to relocate further away from San Antonio due to the large Spanish artillery. They also did not have the supplies needed to launch another attack until re-enforcements and supplies arrived from Shreveport.
  • 1846 July to October – American forces are slowly re-enforced and supplies and weapons arrived allowing the Americans to once again besiege the city. Meanwhile the Spanish are also busy. Colonel Ladrón de la Guevara who commanded the Spanish cavalry escorted thousands of people from San Antonio and also brought additional supplies and even 872 soldiers.
  • 1846 October 15 – American forces were strong enough to cut off San Antonio and with American dragoons under the command of General Twiggs patrolling the country side the city and its remaining soldiers and civilians were cut off. American forces numbered over 30,000 by end of October when the Americans once again attacked the city.
  • 1846 October 31 – American artillery began pounding the Spanish defenses again. But rain and cold forced the Americans to postpone the attack. Five days before American thanksgiving the weather finally cleared up and two days later the American attack finally commenced.
  • 1846 September to November – General Maroto ordered his men and civilians to construct a second set of earthworks behind the first ones.
  • 1846 November 27 – American forces began their third and most devastating attack on San Antonio. Spanish outer earth works taken by American forces. General Maroto ordered his troops to retreat to inner earthworks. Brigadier Pillow forces surrounded hundreds of Spanish troops and shoot them after they surrender. The action was witnessed by Spanish and American soldiers. The barbaric act galvanizes the Spanish and they somehow overcame the American forces and repulsed the attack while also trapping Brigadier Pillow and his remaining troops.
  • 1846 November 27 – News of Brigadier Pillows atrocities reached rest of American forces and American Military command. General Scott afraid that the situation would turn into a barbaric affair offered a truce to the Spanish. General Scott was determined to avoid that the actions of several soldiers not taint the proud American people as barbarians and set the Spanish and American people on a path of total mutual destruction.
  • 1846 November 28 – An agreement was reached between General Maroto and General Scott. Spanish forces and people would retreat south of Rio Grande while American forces were to retreat north of the Guadalupe River. A truce would continue till January 1 1847. Both Generals hoped the truce would bring the countries from the brink of barbaric. General Pillow and the 14th Regiment would be turned over for court-martial and Spanish officers would be able to witness the dispensation of justice. American forces would withdraw north by December 1 and Spanish forces had till the 7th to evacuate the city.
  • 1846 November 29 – Brigadier General Pillow and survivors of the 14th regiment were turned over by the Spanish troops. The officers were arrested, court-martialled and executed. The soldiers drew lots and 1 in 5 was executed. The remained soldiers of the 14th regiment was court-martialled and expelled from army and sent home with only their clothes on their backs.
  • 1846 December 6 – Last of Spanish civilians are escorted by General Maroto and his soldiers south to the Rio Grande.
  • 1847 February – President Polk removed General Scott from command of American forces and promoted General Worth in his place.
  • 1847 April 17 – Washington notified General Worth that no additional re-enforcements would be sent. Federal forces in Texas and Nuevo Mexico stood at over 25,000 but about 3500 were required to garrison Texas and similar amount to garrison Nuevo Mexico. With only 16,000 soldiers at his disposal for military action south of Rio Grande General Worth requested assistance from the state of Louisiana. Governor Isaac Johnston agreed to send 10,000 strong Louisiana Militia under the condition that the military command be shared with General Smith.
Espanha / American War – Rio Grande Campaign

• 1847 June 10 – American forces under the joint command of General Worth and General Smith left San Antonio. General Smith and his Militia slowed the march as they fanned out into the country side and torched and destroyed any Spanish farms they encountered.
  • 1847 June 25 – American forces arrived at Villa de San Agustin de Laredo on the río Grande to find it deserted. The Federal troops and Militia came to a disagreement about conduct of war and direction to take.
  • 1847 June 27 - General Smith angry at General Worth torched Villa de San Agustin de Laredo and he and his militia set out on their own south along the Rio Grande with the goal of inflicting as much destruction as possible on the Spanish.
  • 1847 June 29 - General Worth and the Federal troops marched north towards Presidio de Rio Grande but again they found the town deserted.
  • 1847 July – Louisiana Militia marched south and found town of Mier deserted. After burning the town they marched south towards Matamoros. Militia came under regular nightly attacks including sporadic artillery fire. General Smith and his militia were unable to capture or destroy the attackers.
  • 1847 July – South of the American Federalist army General Maroto presided over the training of the new recruits in town of Chihuahua. He attempted to get the recently recruited soldiers into some semblance of a fighting force. To the south Brigadier General Ladrón de la Guevara operated out of the town of Linares attacking the American militia as it moved down stream along the Rio Grande Valley.
Espanha / American War – Northern Spain Campaign

• 1847 July - News of General Tomás arrival in New Madrid and the re-instatement of the Spanish government reached the American forces along the Rio Grande.
  • 1847 August 2 – General Worth and Federal troops left Rio Grande Area and marched on the Spanish position in Chihuahua.
  • 1847 August 6 – Battle of Sacramento along the Sacramento River Pass. Spanish troops defeated American Federal army. American army retreated to the Rio Grande and town of Laredo.
  • 1847 August 8 – General Smith and the Louisiana Militia defeated by Spanish dragoons. Louisiana Militia loses their gun powder, artillery and supply wagons in attack. They retreated north towards US Federal army.
  • 1847 August 11 - Marshal Tomás, accompanied by General José Joaquín de Herrera’s marched ahead of Espanha’s largest army assembled on New World, 82,000 men comprising four separate armies
  • 1847 August 15 – General Worth and General Smith at the front of their respective armies met in the ruins of the town of Laredo.
    Portuguese Protectorates (Protectorate of Florida and Southern Indian Confederation)
  • 1846 October – Monarchist government in Lisboa ordered the governor of the protectorates, Marquês d’Alegrete, João Luís Teles da Silva Caminha e Meneses to reduce Portuguese forces in the Protectorates by half and send the forces to the Iberian Peninsula. Officers and soldiers of non-European ancestry threatened to leave military.
  • 1846 November 1 – Governor Meneses announced that any officer and soldier who wished to stay may transfer to the battalions staying in Protectorates.
  • 1846 November 15 - The three battalions leaving for Portugal departed at half strength.
  • 1847 spring – News reached the Protectorates of the Portuguese Monarchist negotiations with Estados Unidos.
  • 1847 April 28 – Representative of the Imperialist, Baron of Nador Pedro Gabe de Massarelos arrived in the Protectorates
  • 1847 April 30 - First Protectorate General Assembly, Portuguese governor announced that the Portuguese government, and military were switching their allegiance to the Imperialist government. Baron of Nador announced that the Imperialist forces and government was standing beside Protectorates against any attack by the Estados Unidos.
  • 1847 May - Call for volunteers issued throughout the Protectorates to fight the American invasion.
  • 1847 May to July – Protectorate “army” reached over 100,000 soldiers. Protectorate veterans of Portuguese army comprised the core of the army. Indian Protectorates authorized the creation of Female regiments known as Squaw Regiments. They attract women from all protectorates.
  • 1847 July – Haitians (who had suffered huge slave raids by the Americans in the preceding decades) arrived in Protectorates to fight the Americans.

Estados Unidos / Portuguese Protectorates (American Invasion)

• 1847 May – Estados Unidos Federal troops and State Militia along Portuguese Protectorates reached close to 75,000. State of Georgia authorized the raising largest state militia seen to date. By end of May it had reached over 30,000 all eager to punish the protectorates and Portugal for the wrongs of the war of 1814.
  • 1847 May to July – American forces and militia suffered heavy casualties due to ineffective command structure and difficulty in coordinating different elements of the invasion force. American forces encounter Protectorate fougasse for first time. Portuguese muskets with percussion proved superior to American musket that was subject to jamming and inability to be used when it rained.
  • 1847 May to July - American forces were either bogged down by strong Protectorate and Portuguese defence or in some areas pushed back to border.
  • 1847 May to July – Black and Indians fought to death. They knew there was surrender. Blacks faced either death or slavery while Indians faced only death.

[1] Lake Michigan

very good update , but although i like The Portuguese Protectorate , the rest of the North American should become US Territories ,and States, like Texas and California. Cant hardly wait for the next chapters .:)

It's nice to see a recap of the situation specially since you hadn't updated in a while. Make an effort, though, to refer the US as United States and not as 'Estados Unidos'. Remember, most of your readers speak English and it is quite cringing to see the US being referred by the Portuguese translation.

However, it seems to be that the way things are going for the USA, I doubt very much that they will be able to form any sort of balance with New Spain in long term. Between the mass immigration focusing in South Africa and Canada, the USA being ten states short of what it should have and all the recent military failures, it seems pretty clear that this timeline's USA will be nowhere near as strong as IOTL while Spain becomes a major american power

In my opinion, the best way things can play out for the USA at this point is if, once the dust settles down from the current war, the Portuguese attempt to coerce the Americans into banning slavery in exchange for the return of states. The Americans, of course, flat out refuse but Portugal leaves the offer in the table.

When Lincoln reaches office, southern fears of the government taking Portugal's offer triggers the Civil War and this is where Portuguese-American relations can start repairing themselves. If Portugal supports the North side and supports Lincoln all the way, some negotiation can be formed that will enforce minority protection in the USA in exchange for mutual administration over the protectorates or even return of territories to the US.

In order to keep limitations on the US, like you wanted, I'd have Texas and maybe California as independent states and buffer territory between the US and Spain.

I give this advice, of course, as a writer and not as a historian. What do you think?

Lusitania

Donor
It's nice to see a recap of the situation specially since you hadn't updated in a while. Make an effort, though, to refer the US as United States and not as 'Estados Unidos'. Remember, most of your readers speak English and it is quite cringing to see the US being referred by the Portuguese translation.

Thanks, I apologize, I have changed my writing style. I will limit the use of Portuguese translation to only the header but use its English name for rest of each chapter/story.

However, it seems to be that the way things are going for the USA, I doubt very much that they will be able to form any sort of balance with New Spain in long term. Between the mass immigration focusing in South Africa and Canada, the USA being ten states short of what it should have and all the recent military failures, it seems pretty clear that this timeline's USA will be nowhere near as strong as IOTL while Spain becomes a major american power

The resilience of America and its people is one of its most endearing features. The same cannot always be said about its southern neighbour. The presence of Spain to the south will have a dampening and limiting presence. It some ways it will prevent American dominance of the Spanish speaking countries. But I look at like the difference between Great Britain and Italy. Both are similar in size and population but GB industrial and commercial capacity is much greater than Italy. Same here in the
Americas between US and Spain.

As for Canada and US, there the difference will not be as huge as iOTL where the population is 10 to 1. There will be both a greater industrial and population balance.

As for emigration it is true that BNA and South Africa are receiving huge population boom from the British isles but the US continues to receive large number of emigrants from continental Europe. Mostly of the immigrants are protestants and almost 1/2 are coming from the German speaking countries.

In my opinion, the best way things can play out for the USA at this point is if, once the dust settles down from the current war, the Portuguese attempt to coerce the Americans into banning slavery in exchange for the return of states. The Americans, of
course, flat out refuse but Portugal leaves the offer in the table.

Portugal and US relation will be very chilly following the war. Due in part to Portuguese support of the Southern Indian Confederation and US support for Monarchist in northern American Portuguese provinces (future kingdom of Brazil). Secondly following the war there will be a complete resentment by most Americans (north and south) against both blacks and Indians. No Indians will be allowed to exist east of the Missouri River. Several US states will either severely limit or ban any blacks also.

When Lincoln reaches office, southern fears of the government taking Portugal's offer triggers the Civil War and this is where Portuguese-American relations can start repairing themselves. If Portugal supports the North side and supports Lincoln all the way, some negotiation can be formed that will enforce minority protection in the USA in exchange for mutual administration over the protectorates or even return of territories to the US.
Who is Lincoln? :)) But in reality there will be someone who will be leader of the "federalist" side who advocates a united and stronger US.

As for the US civil war it will be different and have a different feel. After the war the US will live ten years of major social and economic upheaval. There will be a huge movement of people west (greater and faster than in iOTL). This will be done as a means of asserting American control over the areas under American control. American Civil war will be more complicated since there will be two groups wishing to leave the Union. Since the number of blacks in Southern US states will be 1/2 of iOTL (In greater part due to loss of several US southern states compared to iOTL).

Following the war there will be a movement to strengthen the Federal government and US armed forces. This will pit the "Federalists" against the "Constitutionalists". As per the "Study of democracy" posts the US does survive like iOTL.

In order to keep limitations on the US, like you wanted, I'd have Texas and maybe California as independent states and buffer territory between the US and Spain.

Interesting but not exactly how it will turn out. It will be a compromise that will not satisfy either side.

I give this advice, of course, as a writer and not as a historian. What do you think?

thank you for interest and advice

Lusitania,
Thank you for all your hard work on this fascinating timeline. I frankly don't know enough about Portuguese history to comment.. except to say.. you got me interested in the actual history, cause I needed to understand the flow of your story.

Well done dude.. excellent writing.

Thanks, I apologize, I have changed my writing style. I will limit the use of Portuguese translation to only the header but use its English name for rest of each chapter/story.

Well, looking over your first posts, I'd have to say you could very much use the help of a Beta-Reader. There are a lot of mistakes, word repetition and other little nuances that make a out-loud reading pretty unpleasant, if you don't mind me saying. A little strict pre-reviewing of your texts before you post them could also be of much use to you. Reading your works gives me the feeling that you got used to English more through speaking than writing it.

I do acknowledge, though, that you have much posted already and a thorough clean up job would be immense, which is exactly why you should ask someone with time and willingness to help to aid you.

I would offer my help, but truth be told, I'm not sure if you'd accept it. Your thread, however, needs a serious clean up operation, that much is true.

When are you planning to post the continuation of the american war?
I really want to know how that is going to end for the US and also, in the study of modern democracy parts, does Portugal still remain a empire like Spain or did it change to a another type of government?