Realistic Threeism?

Let us imagine that an ideology akin to Threeism, from George Orwell's Nineteen Eighty-Four, arises in a country such as Britain, the popular choice, although it can be any country. The characteristics of this state include a permanently stratified society with a definitive Upper, Middle and Lower classes, deliberate unending war (even with oneself) to perpetuate propaganda and wartime rationing, near total control over society, extensive use of historical revisionism, an Upper class who's only goal is to maintain their power over society by any means and an ideological belief that human inequality is an unalterable law of human society.
Now, despite it being a disturbing book, I always felt everything seemed to work too well, which even a basic understanding of history tells us is next to impossible to maintain for an extensive period of time. So I got myself thinking, what would a realistic Threeist state look like and where would the flaws, if any, develop? Or would is its depiction in the book be what it would appear in reality and that it would genuinely carry on forever?

North Korea is generally considered the closest thing to 1984 thus far in the real world.

ryugyong-hotel.jpg

Ministry of Trut... er, Ryugyong Hotel.:eek:

Well obviously it would need to be brought on by some sort of catastrophe, like the nuclear war followed by civil war that the book alludes to, but it could work in practice. If, like in the book, you can generate enough hate for the working class (The Proles) in the middle class (The Outer Party) that it is rare to even engage in conversation then the upper class can prevent the sort of high-middle-low format of revolutions that Goldstein talks about. This is due to the Outer Party being too weak to overthrow the Government on their own and the Proles not being aware of the fact that they could. Alliance between the two factions is impossible because of the outer party loathing of the Proles. Thus the outer party find that the only they can become the inner party is by trying to join them, thus cooperating in everything they do and eventually being assimilated entirely.

I don't think the system was perfect in the book however. If it was there wouldn't be a need for telescreens and constant purges, the state could be maintained by a more liberal regime (think Stalinism). The Inner party, even O'Brien, don't seem to fanatically uphold the principles of power for powers sake in the book either, living a relatively luxurious lifestyle whilst the Outer Party and Proles go without basic necessities. If they were truly committed to the ideology of Oligarthical Collectivism then they would significantly improve the standard of living of the Proles to remove any possible chance of an uprising whilst putting themselves on equal terms with the outer party, any significant differences in the standard of living can only breed resentment and inevitably lead to revolution, hence the need to constantly watch every party member and kill them off at random.