Ralph Peter's Middle East

Status
Not open for further replies.
Ralph_Peters_solution_to_Mideast.jpg

A very weird vision by Peters that would 'reduce middle eastern conflict'. Discuss... Possible to achieve? Geopolitical effects?

Israel is still there, so I doubt peace can be achieved simply by dividing up existing Islamic countries. The Palestinians would still remain a thorn in the side of any peace deal and a focus of Islamic anger.

Trying to get any country to voluntarily give up territory is difficult at best.

Love the greater Afganistan, somehow I doubt that country would be more stable as well as the rump pakistan (which still doesn't get kashmir)

Interesting map. It would probably do alot to reduce inter-Arab and inter-Muslim fighting and squabbling in the MidEast. Establishing a Free Kurdistan of that size would be very thorny though, if not impossible.

Leo Caesius

Banned
This map could only be achieved with ethnic cleansing on an unprecedented scale. It would be even more of a disaster than the dismantling of the Ottoman Empire that created the success story which is the modern Middle East. I see that this new map requires us to slice a bit more off of Turkey as well.

Why are Kurds of different linguistic backgrounds lumped together with Zazas and enormous Turkish and Arab populations?

Why do the Kurds, Azeris, and Pashtuns get their own "super state" at the expense of others, unlike anybody else?

What about the Dari speakers in the new "Greater Afghanistan" - formerly the majority but now a minority within the new borders - and the Tajiks, who speak Persian as well? Shouldn't they be part of a "Greater Iran"?

I see that Nagorno Karabakh is still part of Azerbaijan, and that the status of the West Bank is still "undetermined," whatever that means. Those are two of the biggest unresolved conflicts in the Middle East today. I also note that Gaza has been folded back into Greater Israel, despite the disingenuous "Pre-1967 borders" label.

Don't even get me started about the new Arab states - what is Kuwait doing trapped inside the new Arab Shia State?

What's the point of a "Greater Lebanon" which would be a predominantly Sunni state with Christian, Alawite, and Shiite minorities? Why not just lump it in with the rest of Syria if that's your goal?

What's the pont of a rump Sunni Iraq? It's a waste of map ink. The dialects of Arabic spoken there are similar to the dialects spoken in Syria just across the border and those in southeast Turkey.

If we're dismantling Turkey again, why is Hatay still part of it? Shouldn't that be part of Syria or the new "Greater Lebanon?"

What have Yemen and Jordan done to deserve such large borders? What did Oman and the UAE do to get shafted?

What's the point of the rump Pakistan? It looks like it would be an abortion of a country. Why not just give it back to India?

Susano

Banned
It indeed doesnt add up...

Why is Kuwait still independant?

But,m why on the other hand does the "Shia Arab State" extendt so far along the coast of the Persian Gulf? Arabistan doesnt go that far in Iran, does it? And the Shia doesnt extent that far into Saudia-Arbia, either, does it?

Why has Kurdistan a Sea acess when there re no Kurds there?

Why arent the Uzbek and tadjik territorie sin Afghanistan with their homecountries?

Why is Kashmir still Indian?

Why make Jordan any larger? That really seems just random.

What about the minorities in iran othe rthen Azeri, Arabs and Baluchi?

Bah! The best example of an Armchair "Grand Strategist"!

Another thing I just noticed...

How are the Saudis going to feel about losing some of their oil fields to the Arab Shias?

Sunnis lose a lot of oil to Kurds...

And apparently Oman is the only 'stable' country in the Middle East.

I started a thread about changing borders in the Middle East, Central Asia, Iran, Afghanistan and Pakistan:

https://www.alternatehistory.com/discussion/showthread.php?t=324225

On post number 8 I discuss Peters proposal. The proposal has both some postitive and some negative sides. I like the idea of reducing Saudi powers. Although I am no fan of the present Irani regime, as far as I can see, there are not really that many Arabs on the Iranian side of the Gulf. I would like to have some more comments on the thread I have started!

CalBear

Donor
Monthly Donor
I started a thread about changing borders in the Middle East, Central Asia, Iran, Afghanistan and Pakistan:

https://www.alternatehistory.com/discussion/showthread.php?t=324225

On post number 8 I discuss Peters proposal. The proposal has both some postitive and some negative sides. I like the idea of reducing Saudi powers. Although I am no fan of the present Irani regime, as far as I can see, there are not really that many Arabs on the Iranian side of the Gulf. I would like to have some more comments on the thread I have started!
You necro'd an EIGHT YEAR OLD thread to promote something you posted?

Never, and I mean NEVER do this again.

Status
Not open for further replies.