Question: Why do the Mormons always get screwed if the CSA wins?

I'm assuming that the Mormon interest in Mesoamerica will still happen in the 20th C. in this timeline (there are strong structural reasons for it), which means that ultimately the Mormons will probably interpret Mesoamerica as the promised land and view their eventual remove their as providential. Mormon beliefs actually makes them unusually fit for being an alien, anglo element in Mexico that nonetheless is strongly patriotic and committed to the Mexican country.

Mormons moving to the Yucatan and getting involved in the Caste War would be fascinating as heck. Mormons in Mexico in general would be amusing. Imagine el Presidente Romney. Someone get MormonMobster to do a timeline, now!

Zioneer

Banned
A lot depends on the details of how they're being forced out and when, but all else being equal I would assume Mexico is more likely, both because the US may be hostile to Britain at this point and because the Mormons may like their chances of relative autonomy better in Mexico. Hard to say, though.

I'm assuming that the Mormon interest in Mesoamerica will still happen in the 20th C. in this timeline (there are strong structural reasons for it), which means that ultimately the Mormons will probably interpret Mesoamerica as the promised land and view their eventual remove their as providential. Mormon beliefs actually makes them unusually fit for being an alien, anglo element in Mexico that nonetheless is strongly patriotic and committed to the Mexican country.

Mormons moving to the Yucatan and getting involved in the Caste War would be fascinating as heck. Mormons in Mexico in general would be amusing. Imagine el Presidente Romney. Someone get MormonMobster to do a timeline, now!

I'm Zioneer now, but you rang? :D

Actually, I would be interested in creating such a TL; I've often thought about the possibility and actually considered making a TL where the Mormons flee to the Caribbean. I need the practice in writing anyway.

But any such TL would be narrative and set after the PoD, with the characters discussing/discovering how things went down. And of course, I'll have to consult with Augustus Montes, mrmandias, and Hnau, since they're the only other AH.commers who have a sufficient amount of knowledge about LDS history.

That would have killed their friendship with Europe. Not going to happen with a bigger, hostile neighbor.

Except it did happen when they were faced with a bigger, hostile neighbor that was at war with them, at a time when the Confederacy desperately needed to do anything to gain the friendship of Europe. The only reason slave smuggling wouldn't increase if the Confederacy achieves independence, is that the CSA Constitution specifically allowed slaves to be imported from the US, and a lot of Union slaveholders would be trying to sell off their slaves before they can be emancipated.

Not really. They'd all die horribly. Seriously, yellow fever, and justifiably angry Mayans wielding machetes would do them in.

Mormons are much more likely to settle in Northern Mexico, which is closer, more thinly settled in this time period, and a little more distant from the government. That's where the OTL Mormon colonias were.

However, any large scale settlement in Mexico is probably going to require Mexican government cooperation, so its possible that there would be a preference to send the Saints to the Yucatan to counterbalance restless natives, that sort of thing. But the Mormons will be worried about the unhealthy reputation of the place and about being inserted into a volatile and violent situation, so they'll probably push back strongly and look to Canada instead.

So the agreeemnt is if the Mormons move, it would be the Mexico?

What about places overseas?

Or Canada. Maybe, if you really, really stretch, Hawaii.

But almost certainly Mexico or Canada. Though I personally think it probably won't come to that--OTL the West had a lot of southern settlement and a successful Confederacy won't change that, which means the USA will want to keep onside a core of settled yankees wait out in the middle of nothing. In fact, you're likely to get tacit federal encouragement for Mormon settlement down into Arizona and Nevada and western New Mexico. If the *Civil War involved the Brits, probably also tacit federal encouragement for settlement north into Idaho and Wyoming.

Its unlikely, but you may even get formal federal encouragement in the form of statehood for a somewhat larger Utah provided there is no legal recognition of polygamy (which I think the Mormons would be willing to accept, since they were running their own legal system at the time).

Canada is probably just as plausible as Mexico, but Mexico would be interesting. Mormons, and Utah in general, and hell the entire region have a very white bread, Anglo reputation to them, so playing up the historical ties between the LDS and Mexico would be interesting. El Presidente Romney indeed.

But any such TL would be narrative and set after the PoD, with the characters discussing/discovering how things went down. And of course, I'll have to consult with Augustus Montes, mrmandias, and Hnau, since they're the only other AH.commers who have a sufficient amount of knowledge about LDS history.

That would still own. I wonder how the Carib would fit into the theology, like what happened with the Maori.

Not really. They'd all die horribly. Seriously, yellow fever, and justifiably angry Mayans wielding machetes would do them in.

They could either convert the Mayans to Mormonism, or ally with the Euro Mexicans (who won in OTL anyway).

But the Mormons will be worried about the unhealthy reputation of the place and about being inserted into a volatile and violent situation, so they'll probably push back strongly and look to Canada instead.

Maybe there could be a fringe leader who decides to go traipsing around in some pyramids for new revelatory reasons.