Question: it would be possible to kick De Valera out in the '40s?

Exactly what says in the tin. Is there any way to kick De Valera out of the Irish political scene sometime in the '40s?

Exactly what says in the tin. Is there any way to kick De Valera out of the Irish political scene sometime in the '40s?

Short answer no, long answer no.

Whatever the modern view on Dev, and mines pretty negative, there was no way of "kicking" him out of Irish politics at this or any other period, he was the senior survivor of the Rising. That alone carried huge weight and with the deaths in the Civil War the senior figure left standing.

From memory Dev held at least 1 General Election during the "Emergency" and FF won it handsomely, it was 48 before FF went into Opposition, and went on to be the President.

Short answer no, long answer no.

Whatever the modern view on Dev, and mines pretty negative, there was no way of "kicking" him out of Irish politics at this or any other period, he was the senior survivor of the Rising. That alone carried huge weight and with the deaths in the Civil War the senior figure left standing.

From memory Dev held at least 1 General Election during the "Emergency" and FF won it handsomely, it was 48 before FF went into Opposition, and went on to be the President.

There wee two elections IIRC - 43 and 44. Just short of a majority in 43 and a majority in 44.I am not sure what Dev would have to have done to be ousted in either.Discovery of his pact with Satan perhaps

There wee two elections IIRC - 43 and 44. Just short of a majority in 43 and a majority in 44.I am not sure what Dev would have to have done to be ousted in either.Discovery of his pact with Satan perhaps

That's right I forgot about the 43 one.

As I said from the point of 1930's-40's Ireland nobody is kicking out Dev, he was democratically elected with a fairly large vote.

Short of announcing that he had just signed up to reenter the Commonwealth or the Act of Union I can't see Irish domestic politics forcing him out.