Queen Arabella

Just had a thought about Arabella Stuart suceeding Elizabeth I rather than her cousin James VI of Scotland. However I need an available Protestand prince for her to marry. Possibilities from Brandenberg, The Palatinate or the Netherlands

John Sigismund, son of Joachim Frederick, Elector of Brandenburg
Maurice of Nassau, son of William the Silent
Frederick, son of Louis VI, Elector of the Palatinate

Last edited:
Another possible husband could be Christian, son of Frederick II, King of Denmark although that would only work if James VI didn't marry Frederick's daughter Anne

Keenir

Banned
Just had a thought about Arabella Stuart suceeding Elizabeth I rather than her cousin James VI of Scotland. However I need an available Protestand prince for her to marry. Possibilities from Brandenberg, The Palatinate or the Netherlands

weren't there any Anglicans of high enough station for her to marry without going over the waters?

I think they were in case it gainned a precedent.
However didnt' she marry for love and incurr the wrathe of Good Queen Bess anyway?

In 1610 she married William Seymour who had a distant claim to the throne himself. This heartily annoyed James I/VI and he had them both arrested. They attempted to escape but were captured. Arabella spent the rest of her life in the Tower of London, dying in 1615

Another possible husband could be Christian, son of Frederick II, King of Denmark although that would only work if James VI didn't marry Frederick's daughter Anne

That must be future King Christian 4. Wouldn't that make for some difficulty if two future monarchs should marry? Great for Denmark - maybe not an ethustiastic English government.

I still have to work out how Arabella would suceed Elizabeth

1 She was actually born in England as opposed to James who was born Scottish

2. After the death of her parents she became the ward of William Cecil. He might think Queen Arabella might be a more malleable monarch that James

A little data on Prince Ulrich.
He was the younger brother of Prince Christian, going to be King Christian 4. His was named after his grandfather the Duke of Mecklenburg. Born December 30, 1578 died March 27, 1624. To secure his income he was made bishop (Protestant) of Slesvig 1602 and Prince-bishop of the secularized bishopric of Schwerin 1603. The last possession he kept to his death. Apparently he didn't marry. 1605 he was awarded the Order of the Garter.
He's actually quite anonymous.

A little data on Prince Ulrich.
He was the younger brother of Prince Christian, going to be King Christian 4. His was named after his grandfather the Duke of Mecklenburg. Born December 30, 1578 died March 27, 1624. To secure his income he was made bishop (Protestant) of Slesvig 1602 and Prince-bishop of the secularized bishopric of Schwerin 1603. The last possession he kept to his death. Apparently he didn't marry. 1605 he was awarded the Order of the Garter.
He's actually quite anonymous.

That anonymity can be quite useful for my purposes as it would mean he is pretty much a blank slate AH-wise

If I have Arabella marrying Ulric I'll have to retcon James VI of Scotland's marriage

Last edited:
When James' intended wife Anne of Denmark set off to travel to Scotland her ship was beset by storms and had to return to Denmark/Norway. In order to retcon things I'll have Anne's ship sink and all on board drown.

Thus James would have to marry someone else, thus allowing Arabella to marry into the Danish Royal Family instead

When James' intended wife Anne of Denmark set off to travel to Scotland her ship was beset by storms and had to return to Denmark/Norway. In order to retcon things I'll have Anne's ship sink and all on board drown.

Thus James would have to marry someone else, thus allowing Arabella to marry into the Danish Royal Family instead

That is a probable scenario.

Anna's older sister Elisabeth didn't marry until 1590, so she'd be available as a substitute, but I won't spoil your fun. Have James find it a bad omen to marry a Danish Princess.
The younger sisters Augusta and Hedwig was only 9 and 8 in 1589.

That is a probable scenario.

Anna's older sister Elisabeth didn't marry until 1590, so she'd be available as a substitute, but I won't spoil your fun. Have James find it a bad omen to marry a Danish Princess.

I haven't really started on the TL, just been toying with the idea