Putins's Russian Empire

Putin's Russian Empire

1567p0i.jpg

In Green members of the Russian Commonwealth/Protectorates, In Yellow members of the Global Protection treaty.

28cn5g3.jpg

World in 2024.

Putin is dead
August 5th 2025
BBC Online News

(London) World Leaders are sending their Condolences to the Kremlin in Moscow following the death of 5 term President Vladamir Putin. A man who has had a profound effect on the global scene ever since he emerged in 1999. Helping to defeat the Chechnya's in the 1990s and restoring Russia's economy. President Putin is regarded as an extremely controversial figure as he shielded Iraq from an attempt to invade it during the early 2000s.
More on this story to follow

Last edited:

Teshuvah

Banned
That is a mighty big chunk of Ukraine that Putin's gobbled up.

I also have to ask why North Korea is in Russia's sphere and not China's.

Also, why Hungary? It's been a member of NATO since before Putin came to power. And why not Belarus?

So I see "Yugoslavia" managed to survive ITTL.

Incognito

Banned
Did you all miss the part in the 3rd post where it's said Putin (somehow) prevented the 2003 invasion of Iraq?

Anyway, I am mildly-interested as long as this isn't a re-hash of Zhirinovsky's Russian Empire just with more Putin.

Last edited:
Did you all miss the part in the 3rd post where it's said Putin (somehow) prevented the 2003 invasion of Iraq?

Anyway, I am mildly-interested as long as this isn't a re-hash of Zhirinovsky's Russian Empire just with more Putin.

thats even more confusing beucase then Iraq and Iran would hate each other, but i guess both still be allies of Russia.

There's a difference between running interference and outright annexation. No way could Russia gobble the entirety of Iraq AND still be friends with the other powers in the region.

And yeah, this does look like a re-hash of ZRE, which makes me worried. ZRE was it's own thing, why re-do it (except it's kind've in the future and Putin is the bad guy!) when you can do something different?

Hi everyone thank you for the comments and intrigue. I will post a new update soon in regards to this being a ZRE re hash or re make. It is not, this is my idea and its a lot more descriptive then narrative. There are different PODs and etc. Also Iraq isnt a "part " of Russia its an un official protectorate of Russia and a member of GPT.

Hi everyone thank you for the comments and intrigue. I will post a new update soon in regards to this being a ZRE re hash or re make. It is not, this is my idea and its a lot more descriptive then narrative. There are different PODs and etc. Also Iraq isnt a "part " of Russia its an un official protectorate of Russia and a member of GPT.

It's still crazy that Russia would have Iraq as a de facto member state AND still have friendly relations with Iran, Syria, etc. No way, no how. Russia being allowed to expand south into the Middle East is borderline ASB.

Also, China is not going to like Russia meddling with North Korea, that is their backyard and if they think the regime is leaning the other way they will absolutely intervene and set up a more tractable puppet.

Incognito

Banned
That is a mighty big chunk of Ukraine that Putin's gobbled up.
If I might speculate on the map above, based on the fact that "Russian Ukraine" has Kiev and only the most Western Ukrainian regions are not part of the Kiev administration, I am going to guess that rather than Putin gobbling up Ukraine what happened was that Ukraine had a succession of pro-Russian presidents from 2000 onwards (so no Orange Revolution?) moving the nation closer and closer to Moscow until at one point the more nationalist and pro-E.U. Western regions of the country decided to break off and form their own "True Ukraine" or something -- so basically the inverse of the "People's Republic of Donetsk" that some want to see happen OTL. It's an interesting idea, I'll give you that. Lvov/Lviv would be the natural place to have the capital of West Ukraine. Of course, without the industry of the east West Ukraine would be in worse economic shape than OTL Ukraine...

Anyway, this is of course all conjecture on my part.

P.S.: it is also interesting to speculate, based on the fact that Belarus isn't in Russia's sphere, that while Ukraine's Orange Revolution either failed or was butterflied away Belarus' own Jeans Revolution might have been a success.
It's still crazy that Russia would have Iraq as a de facto member state AND still have friendly relations with Iran, Syria, etc. No way, no how. Russia being allowed to expand south into the Middle East is borderline ASB.
I'm willing to see where the author is going with this. We know that there was no 2003 war but that does not mean that Saddam is still ruling Iraq in 2024 (the year of the map). For all we know someone who is friendly to Iran and Syria is in charge.
Also, China is not going to like Russia meddling with North Korea, that is their backyard and if they think the regime is leaning the other way they will absolutely intervene and set up a more tractable puppet.
You do know that throughout the Cold War North Korea played both Soviets and Chinese of off each other for aid and whatnot, right?

Last edited:

Incognito

Banned
Hey alpha, I just noticed something else on the 2024 map -- does your TL feature an independent (or maybe German) Kaliningrad/Königsberg?

Incognito: Maybe ?

Prologue Part 1

Boris Yeltsin was the president of the Russian Federation a country blessed with natural resources and power. It had gained its independence when the Soviet Union dissolved in 1991 following the failed attempt at reform. Although a new country the Russian federation was going through a particularly hard time with corruption, instability and economic crisis enveloping the country. Boris Yeltsin was the man responsible for freeing his country from the Soviet Union as the man who stood on the tank during the 1991 attempted August Push by Communist hardliners. This act of bravery resulted in the failure of the coup and President Yeltsin becoming a hero to millions of Russians who wanted a better future for themselves and their country.

%D0%91%D0%BE%D1%80%D0%B8%D1%81_%D0%9D%D0%B8%D0%BA%D0%BE%D0%BB%D0%B0%D0%B5%D0%B2%D0%B8%D1%87_%D0%95%D0%BB%D1%8C%D1%86%D0%B8%D0%BD.jpg

On December 31 1991 President Boris Yeltsin became the president of an independent Russia not a Russia part of the old Soviet Union. Russia kept its place in the UN and was still a major world power but it lacked the power and prowess of the old Union. With 1992 beginning people were happy, cheerful and expected a country to change course but the Russian people learned quickly to their disappointment that President Yeltsin was not the man they were looking for. President Yeltsin didn’t have the necessary political or economic skills to lead the country his first major blunder was the economy. Just days after dissolution of the Soviet Union President Yeltsin began shock therapy aimed at liberalizing the largest command economy in the world. The shock therapy was done by removing subsidies, price controls and liberalizing trade but this resulted in many Russians becoming poorer. A group of individuals became 'Oligarchs' they had most of the countries wealth and became extremely wealthy thanks to President Yeltsin's economic program.

As things went from bad to worse President Yeltsin bombed the Russian white (Parliament) house because of disagreements with the Supreme Soviet. After that Yeltsin illegally disbanded parliament and wrote a new constitution that gave more power to the President. In 1996 President Yeltsin was re elected by for a second term as president but never regained his popularity. Also by the late 1990s the economic, social problems continued and worse for Russia it was dealing with a secessionist movement in the Caucasus region. This crisis made the Russians the laughing stock of the World, as the army was defeat by the Chechen forces and Chechnya was de facto independent.

On 9 August of 1999 as his second term was nearly over President Yeltsin made an important decision that would impact the world and Russia forever.

Prologue part this deals with how and why Putin became Prime minister in the first place

Some new names

Chechnya

Boris Yeltsin first president of Russia

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Boris_Yeltsin

Vladamir Putin

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Putin

Second Chechnyan war

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Second_Chechen_War

OTL the man who helped Putin enter "the family"

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Boris_Berezovsky_(businessman)

Great book The Man without a face: The Unlikely rise of Vladamir Putin. Bizzare fact in real life Berezovsky didnt even know who Putin was personally

http://www.amazon.com/The-Man-Without-Face-Unlikely/dp/1594486514

Prologue Part 2

[FONT=&quot]Kremlin – August 9th [/FONT]

“Segri bring in Vladimir Putin,”

Spoke president Yeltsin in a tired voice to his secretary on the phone as he finished signing documents relating to restarting the Chechnya war in order to reestablish federal control over the breakaway region. He looked tired as usual and hung over. The last nine years have not been too kind on him. He had done a lot of bad things in order to keep Russia together that didnt all ways provide the desired results.

Now an old man with failling health and no way to get a third term he wanted away out of it all. Before he could leave he needed someone to provide immunity for “the family” and its many crimes that he and his inner circle committed for the sake of mother Russia. Today was even more difficult then usual because he was going to select the man who could possibly be the next president of Russia and if he got it wrong it could mean his life.

“Yes Mr. President” responded the secretary while looking at Vladamir Putin

“Mr. Putin the president will see you now”

“Thank you Sergi”

Putin felt a sense of anxiety as he entered the Presidents room. He knew that he was going to be prime minister and named successor to the president from his many meetings with Boris Berezovsky a man who had brought Putin in the “family”. As he entered the room Putin felt a sense of pride maybe it was entering the same room that Catherine the great ruled Russia from or even the Soviets and he was a man on a mission to restore Russia to its rightful place in the world.

Boris Yeltsin got up and shock Putin’s hand

“Vladimir please sit”

Without showing much emotion Putin happy obliged.

“Vladimir how are you?”

“Fine sir” in a cold voice

“As you know the country is not in a good shape and neither am I”

Boris continued to talk in an excited voice “We have been looking at you for some time and I personally believe you are the right man for the job”

“Yes I am sir”

“Welcome to the family”

There was a silence for a little while “What about the two other prime ministers?”

“Vladimir you will be name sole prime minister in a few hours”

Putin soon changed the subject “Chechnya is my first priority we need to deal with them”

“Before you came in I signed the papers officially the operation will begin on the 26th of August”

“Mr. President unofficially I will begin dealing with it”

A few hours later on the same day Putin was named sole Prime minister and Yeltsin endorsed him as his official successor. Putin could now begin his work and he was going to deal with Chechnya first. On 18 August Putin was confirmed Prime minister of Russia and the “Family“ had pinned all of their hopes on him despite personally not knowing who Putin was.