Prince Charming's first name

One of the most popular versions of Cinderella was written in French by Charles Perrault in 1697.
Cinderella attended the ball and met Prince Charming.
What should Prince Charming's first name be?

Erm, princes are usually known by their first names aren't they?

Prince Charles isn't called Prince Windsor last I checked (which admittedly was never).

So Prince Charming's first name IS Charming. Presumably because his parents are dicks.

PhilippeO

Banned
Gaston Louis Philippe Charles Henry de Charming ?

modern English royalty have several first name, so Prince Charming could follow that convention.

Erm, princes are usually known by their first names aren't they?

Prince Charles isn't called Prince Windsor last I checked (which admittedly was never).

So Prince Charming's first name IS Charming. Presumably because his parents are dicks.

Wait, Charles isn't his first name?? :eek:

No... you're getting it all wrong. Prince Charming's first name is Prince. Since 'Prince' as a first name is usually given to people of African ancestry, this means that Prince Charming probably came from a French African colony; a wiki visit tells me that in 1697, France already owned a few colonies in Africa, around Gambia. The 1697 version of Cinderella is not so much a romantic story as a French propaganda piece about how a humble colonial subject can make it big, become part of the nobility, and even score a nice young French woman and live with her happily ever after.

No... you're getting it all wrong. Prince Charming's first name is Prince. Since 'Prince' as a first name is usually given to people of African ancestry, this means that Prince Charming probably came from a French African colony; a wiki visit tells me that in 1697, France already owned a few colonies in Africa, around Gambia. The 1697 version of Cinderella is not so much a romantic story as a French propaganda piece about how a humble colonial subject can make it big, become part of the nobility, and even score a nice young French woman and live with her happily ever after.

That is absolutely awesome. That is the story I'll tell my kids.

Also, Charming might be a title of sort like "Dauphin" or something like that. Maybe Charming is an honorary title for a non-married male infant?

Charming is his nickname... his first name is Louis, but his dad and his granddad were named Louis too so to avoid confusion they call him Charming.

So his full name is: Dauphin Prince Louis "Charming"de Bourbon (technically the first 2 are titles though)

Last edited:

fred1451

Banned
Charming is his nickname... his first name is Louis, but his dad and his granddad were named Louis too so to avoid confusion they call him Charming.

So his full name is: Dauphin Prince Louis "Charming"de Bourbon

wow, with a nickname like that, I bet he got beaten up in school a lot.