Presidential Election TL | 1988

The End of August, 1988

August 19, 1988: After the RNC Reagan's Approval Ratings hit 44%; Ferraro and Rumsfeld tied at 46-46 following GOP Convention

August 20, 1988: Efforts to repair Reagan's image continue as son Michael Reagan sits down for numerous interviews throughout the final days of August; Ferraro Campaign Announces Bill Clinton and Buddy Roemer will conduct a 5-state tour in the South

August 22, 1988: Vice President George HW Bush meets with Mikhail Gorbachev in Moscow for a 4-day conference

August 26, 1988: Following Bush/Gorbachev Conference, Bush's approval ratings hit 67%, Reagan's climb to 45%.

August 27, 1988: President Reagan and Vice President Bush campaign for Rumsfeld in Ohio as Ferraro, Roemer make joint appearance in Indiana

August 28, 1988: Rumsfeld Campaign releases three television advertisements to air in Virginia, Indiana, and Florida

August 30, 1988: Latest Nationwide polls put Ferraro in the lead at 48-47

Donald Rumsfeld and Gerry Ferraro Sit Down for Interview

MARCH 14, 2004: MEET THE PRESS
SPECIAL EPISODE: INTERVIEW WITH RUMSFELD AND FERRARO

Tim Russert: Ms. Ferraro, what do you think was the deciding factor in the results on Election Night?

Ferraro: Well, Tim, I think the people saw what happened over the last eight years and reacted to it, do I agree with their decision? Not entirely, I think there were some states that should've turned out different, but it was a close race. Overall I'm pleased with how life continued after Election Night 1988.

Russert: Mr. Rumsfeld?

Rumsfeld: Certainly I agree with Gerry. I think the people processed what they'd seen and responded with their gut feeling. Obviously it was a big loss on Election Night, for the nation I think, but the results were satisfying to the both of us, I think. I mean Ms. Ferraro had never been out of the U.S. House and I wasn't much of a politician, so I think we were both content with the results.

Russert: Would you agree, Ms. Ferraro?

Ferraro: Sure, sure. I mean Don and I never made it public but we were great friends of the campaign trail, especially once the race was over. I think that's why the cabinet ended up the way it did. I mean we were always friendly to each other. I respect him a great deal and I feel like he always treated me with respect as well. So sure, I was pleased with the results just as much as Donald was.

The Debate: September 1st

SEPTEMBER 1, 1988: FERRARO WINS DEBATE

donnief.jpg
tl039011.jpg

The debate on September 1st was Rumsfeld's to lose, and he certainly lost it. A respectable 69 million people tuned in to the debate, one of the larger audiences in debate history. Geraldine Ferraro was quick to attack Donald Rumsfeld on the economy calling Reaganomics "foolish" and linking Rumsfeld to the President on numerous occasions. Of course this debate centered on the economy, not an entirely easy subject for Rumsfeld to defend. "We've seen record deficits, higher taxes, and unmoving inflation from Reaganomics, but Donald Rumsfeld is so insistent to defend it...Why?" Ferraro asked voters in the debate. When it came time for Rumsfeld to answer he dropped the ball, "There are three main reasons why Reaganomics has worked. The uh, the first being that we've actually seen lower taxes. Yes, the President has lowered taxes. The, well, the...uh...the second...the second thing would be that we've seen lower, not unmoving inflation and the third reason {pause} Well, the third reason we've seen Reaganomics work... {pause} To be honest I forget the third reason, but Reaganomics is working, the American people should trust the Reagan/Bush Administration." Rumsfeld's stumble was embarrassing and to make matters worse for him Ferraro quickly retaliated, "Just like we should've trusted him to reveal important medical information."

NBC's Thomas Ritchie was quick to comment on the debate, "Unfortunately Rumsfeld is no match for Ferraro in these debates. He's going to have to go home, review his flashcards, practice his public speaking and come back ready to win the second one." Polls on the winner of the debate do not look good for Rumsfeld. A poll of the live audience showed 55% felt Ferraro won, 22% were undecided, and 13% felt Rumsfeld won while those watching on tv at home had somewhat different numbers: 59% said Ferraro won, 23% were undecided, and 8% felt Rumsfeld won The general election is going to be an uphill climb for Rumsfeld. With the next debate scheduled for the 21st of the month, Rumsfeld has a lot of catching up to do, but not a lot of time to do it. Ritchie predicts Rumsfeld will need to spend at least two million dollars on advertising before the end of the month if he wants to get close to Ferraro. "Unfortunately, just as he started to make the climb up, he got pushed back down the mountain. It's a steep climb for Rumsfeld...it really is." At least for now it seems Ferraro's charismatic appeal is trumping Rumsfeld's policy-oriented campaign.

Most of September

September 3, 1988: New General Election polls have Ferraro leading Rumsfeld 49-42, mostly attributed to the debate.

September 4, 1988: Rumsfeld has been pulled from the Campaign Trail in order to prep him for the upcoming debate.

September 9, 1988: Vice President Bush meets with Mikhail Gorbachev to discuss relations between the US/USSR...for the 2nd time, country wonders where Reagan is

September 11, 1988: Ronald Reagan's approval climbs to 47%, approval stands at 89% among Republicans; Ferraro Campaign releases new attack ad on Donald Rumsfeld; VP Bush's approval ratings at 70%

September 13, 1988: Ferraro leading Rumsfeld 49-43, showing a minuscule gain for Rumsfeld in the election

September 18, 1988: Vice President Bush returns to United States after ten-day visit with Gorbachev

September 19, 1988: President Reagan is briefly hospitalized, but released within 3 hours of checking-in

September 20, 1988: Ferraro leads Rumsfeld 49-45 on the night before the second debate; Reagan Approval: 48%, Bush's Approval: 70%

The Second Debate: 9.21.88

VIEWERSHIP: 72 million
TOPIC: Foreign Policy

Analysis: There were very low expectations for Donald Rumsfeld heading into the debate, even though the topic was easily his to own. In opening statements Rumsfeld made light of his Reaganomics issue in the last debate while maintaining he was the only experienced candidate for President. Ferraro, on the other hand, pointed to the fact George Bush had been left to deal with foreign policy to call the current Administration weak, claiming Rumsfeld and Powell would "follow in the footsteps of the Reagan/Bush Administration". As the debate progressed Ferraro looked seemingly unprepared for some of the questions, but nothing compared to Rumsfeld in the last debate. On the other hand Rumsfeld was well-prepared and appeared to be in his natural habitat when discussing issues like the Soviet Union and "Star Wars". The debate ended with no major surprises or moments, many calling the debate a draw, but those disagreeing saying Rumsfeld emerged the winner.

POLL: AUDIENCE
Who do you think won the debate?
--Undecided: 44%
--Rumsfeld: 31%
--Ferraro: 25%

POLL: TV VIEWERSHIP
--Rumsfeld: 35%
--Undecided: 34%
--Ferraro: 30%

Ending September, Beginning the Last Full Month

September 24, 1988: Ferraro leads Rumsfeld 49-47

September 25, 1988: Reagan's approval rating hits 49%, Bush's stuck at 70%

September 27, 1988: Buddy Roemer and Colin Powell both enter debate prep in preparation for the October 1st Debate

September 28, 1988: Ferraro releases an aggressive ad campaign in Florida and Ohio, hoping to gain much needed support

September 29, 1988: Donald Rumsfeld sits down for an interview on the TODAY Show, begins to pick up the pieces of his campaign

September 31, 1988: Ferraro leads Rumsfeld 49-47 heading into Vice Presidential Debate

The Vice Presidential Debate: 10.1.88

VIEWERSHIP: 41.5 million
TOPIC: General

Analysis: Few people were interested in the Vice Presidential debate. Electoral maps released earlier in the day showed the Democratic Ticket with a decisive edge in the campaign. NBC's Tom Ritchie predicted that if hadn't been for the fact the first African-American nominee for Vice President was on the stage viewership would've been below 35 million people. The debate opened with Opening Statements, most agree Powell had the best opening statement. Unsurprisingly Roemer was more prepared to handle economic questions and Powell won most of the foreign policy questions. There were little to no surprises in the debate, but most agree Powell emerged the clear winner.

POLL: AUDIENCE
--Powell: 46%
--Roemer: 42%
--Undecided: 12%

POLL: TV VIEWERSHIP
--Powell: 45%
--Roemer: 44%
--Undecided: 11%

October 2 - October 18: No Surprise...Yet

October 2, 1988: Ferraro leads Rumsfeld, nationally, 49-48

October 3, 1988: Both candidates release dozens of advertisements across the country; Rumsfeld calls Ferraro "inexperienced" at rally in Arkansas

October 4, 1988: Buddy Roemer takes a break from the campaign trail to return to his duties as Governor, returning to Louisiana

October 7, 1988: Ronald Reagan is admitted to the hospital, reason remains unknown

October 9, 1988: Reagan is released from the hospital; Ferraro leads Rumsfeld 49-48, still

October 11, 1988: Ferraro Campaign hires two new consultants as Rumsfeld lays off some campaign staff; Ferraro begins Debate Prep for final debate, Rumsfeld continues to campaign

October 12, 1988: President Reagan campaigns for Rumsfeld in Ohio as approval rating climbs to 51%, as pundits officially declare "Reagangate" over

October 13, 1988: Rumsfeld exits campaign trail to begin Debate Prep back home in Illinois, Roemer returns from 9-day break in Louisiana

October 14, 1988: Bush Approval Rating falls to 67% as he campaigns with Colin Powell in Connecticut

October 15, 1988: Rumsfeld campaign reports making $11 million in one day

October 17, 1988: Rumsfeld campaign releases several new advertisements a couple of weeks before Election Day; Night before the debate Ferraro and Rumsfeld are tied: 48-48

SEPTEMBER 1, 1988: FERRARO WINS DEBATE

donnief.jpg
tl039011.jpg

The debate on September 1st was Rumsfeld's to lose, and he certainly lost it. A respectable 69 million people tuned in to the debate, one of the larger audiences in debate history. Geraldine Ferraro was quick to attack Donald Rumsfeld on the economy calling Reaganomics "foolish" and linking Rumsfeld to the President on numerous occasions. Of course this debate centered on the economy, not an entirely easy subject for Rumsfeld to defend. "We've seen record deficits, higher taxes, and unmoving inflation from Reaganomics, but Donald Rumsfeld is so insistent to defend it...Why?" Ferraro asked voters in the debate. When it came time for Rumsfeld to answer he dropped the ball, "There are three main reasons why Reaganomics has worked. The uh, the first being that we've actually seen lower taxes. Yes, the President has lowered taxes. The, well, the...uh...the second...the second thing would be that we've seen lower, not unmoving inflation and the third reason {pause} Well, the third reason we've seen Reaganomics work... {pause} To be honest I forget the third reason, but Reaganomics is working, the American people should trust the Reagan/Bush Administration." Rumsfeld's stumble was embarrassing and to make matters worse for him Ferraro quickly retaliated, "Just like we should've trusted him to reveal important medical information."

Ahh, I see you had Rummy pull a Perryesque gaffe. :D

I personally believe that debate performance by Rumsfeld will be sinonimous with Ford's "Eastern Europe is not dominated by the Soviet Union" gaffe.

Oh and one final thing, GO FERRARO!!!!!!!!

Wishing you well, his majesty,
The Scandinavian Emperor

Schedule Announcement

(after 8 PM)
*Final Debate
*Up until November 8th (Election Day)

(beginning at Noonish)
*Election Coverage
(at around 2ish)
*Aftermath of Election Day

The Final Debate

OCTOBER 18, 1988: FERRARO-RUMSFELD DEBATE A DRAW, RACE INTENSIFIES IN FINAL DAYS

Corbis-WL006841.jpg

There was a lot on the line during Tuesday Night's debate and neither candidate stood out over the other. "It was a wash for voters," NBC's Tom Ritchie explained, "Neither candidate made a huge impact, but we did get more details about their platform, which was a bonus." Donald Rumsfeld outlined his experience on Foreign Policy matters, claiming that he was the only candidate capable of handling issues with the Soviet Union. Ferraro clearly resented this argument, claiming that she was definitely able to handle issues of foreign policy. "I may be a woman," Gerry began, "but that doesn't mean I'm disqualified to be Commander-in-Chief!" Several women in the audience broke the "silence rule" and stood and cheered for Gerry. Ferraro, after thanking them, continued to outline her positions on Foreign Policy issues, "In fact maybe it takes a mother in the White House to understand that nuclear weapons are not toys, but dangerous, harmful, and unneeded instruments!" Once again the crowd supported Gerry's argument. Rumsfeld did have some good lines of his own, particularly when he said, "If we're going to make sex an issue of this campaign, Ms. Ferraro, I reject the notion that a father knows less about education than a mother!" The line received much approval among the 1,610 person audience.

The debate was seen by an audience of 75 million viewers, setting a record for the most viewed Presidential Debate of all time, the record was previously held by the sole Reagan-Carter Debate in 1980. Unfortunately though this large audience didn't witness a stellar performance because both candidates were well-prepared. 31% said Ferraro won, 29% said Rumsfeld won, but 40% said the debate was a draw, numbers that boost Ferraro, but only slightly. The general election remains a draw, however, with neither candidate pulling out an edge over their opponent. Polls conducted the night before the debate showed Ferraro and Rumsfeld tied at 48-48, the tie continues after the debate.

x_dc_mtp_ferraro_110326.300w.jpg

Ferraro's campaign unleashed a series of ads in Ohio, Florida, Louisiana, and Illinois, hoping to continue momentum into the homestretch of the campaign, but a new electoral map shows trouble for the one time front runner in the campaign. CNN's Vince Greene commented on the new map, "I think it's obvious that Ferraro's supported has decreased. People have gotten over the Reagan issue and are now looking at Rumsfeld as Donald Rumsfeld, not Ronald Reagan. That's a big change for sure." The electoral map below has some interesting results:

88map.png

Ferraro has 263 Electoral Votes, Donald Rumsfeld has 194 Electoral Votes, and 81 Electoral Votes are up for grabs. Rumsfeld is campaigning aggressively in all of the gray states, he has to win each one in order to win. Ferraro, on the other hand, is focusing efforts on Louisiana and Pennsylvania. Ferraro and her more liberal surrogates, like Walter Mondale, are working in Pennsylvania while Roemer and Clinton are focusing efforts on Louisiana. They only need one of the states to win. With Reagan's approval at 54%, Rumsfeld surely wishes the Gipper could get out and campaign for him but rumors say the President's Alzheimer's has accelerated at extreme levels and that explains why we haven't seen him since October 12th when he campaigned for Rumsfeld in Ohio. Vice President Bush has been spending several nights a week at the White House and some rumors accuse him of working out of the Oval Office on several occasions. The Vice President's approval rating hit 72% yesterday, a remarkable number considering the amount of pressure that's been on the Vice President. "He's been running the show, essentially. Americans like a leader," explained CNN's Vince Greene. Further reports have gone as far to say that the President will be unable to fulfill his term. In the daily press briefing this morning Reagan's Press Secretary said that Reagan was still "handling state affairs" and that "Vice President Bush has never worked out of the Oval Office".

October Ends with a Bang!

October 19, 1988: Ferraro Campaign pours $3 million into Pennsylvania efforts in final days before Election; Rumsfeld/Powell campaign in Missouri with John Ashcroft; Vice President Bush held a Press Conference from the White House Briefing Room confirming that the President was handling state affairs

October 20, 1988: Ferraro leads Rumsfeld 49-48 in National Polls, the Electoral Count remains at 263-194-81; Second Lady Barbara Bush joined Nancy Reagan in campaigning for Rumsfeld/Powell in Louisiana; Governor Buddy Roemer campaigns for Vice President at a speech with Bill Clinton in Baton Rouge

October 21, 1988: Former Speaker of the House Tip O'Neil and Walter Mondale host a fundraiser for Ferraro in Pennsylvania; Vice President Bush travels to meet with Congressional leaders on the Hill

October 22, 1988: Ferraro continues 1 point lead over Rumsfeld, campaigns in Pennsylvania; Rumsfeld holds interview with CBS Evening News

October 23, 1988: Rumsfeld appears on Meet the Press; Ferraro releases new ad in Pennsylvania, Louisiana; Vice President Bush returns to the hill for third straight day

October 24, 1988: President Reagan has yet to appear in public; Ferraro holds interview with CNN's Headline News; Ted Kennedy, Walter Mondale, Michael Dukakis hold joint-event for Ferraro in Pennsylvania; Jack Kemp holds joint event with Rumsfeld in Illinois

October 25, 1988: Ferraro and Rumsfeld now tied at 49-49; Vice President Bush holds Press Conference in WH Briefing Room, Maintains Reagan is in charge

October 26, 1988: No word from Reagan; Ferraro releases ad in PA ass Rumsfeld releases series of ads in Pennsylvania, Tennessee, and Louisiana

October 27, 1988: Powell campaigns in Tennessee; Roemer holds rally event in Louisiana

October 30, 1988: Still no word from Reagan, approval dips to 53%

October 31, 1988: John Zacarro victim of heart attack, immediately rushed to hospital...remains in critical condition