President Jesse Jackson, 1988

hey, all. im playing around with the idea of Jesse Jackson, instead of Dukakis, being given the Democratic nomination in 1988 and being elected president in that year. im curious as to the plausibility of this: the civil rights movement is still in recent memory, so im not sure if the US would be ready for a black president at this point in time; some people in this country clearly werent ready for a black president just three years ago, so this is mainly what i want to figure out, as well as what effects it would have on race relations in the US and the future of US politics

thoughts, anyone?

The United States was ready for a black president in 1988.
It was not ready for Jesse Jackson. 1972 again.

thanks for that suggestion ;) as long as this thread is still here, what does everyone think about Al Sharpton as president in '96 following a Cuomo presidency?

thanks for that suggestion ;) as long as this thread is still here, what does everyone think about Al Sharpton as president in '96 following a Cuomo presidency?
That's pretty hard too I think. Do you just want a black President?

Jesse Jackson has one major problem. He's never held elected office. And, so far as I can recall, no one has come into the Presidency without being elected to the government in some other fashion first. That's the pillar you stand on to reach the presidency. You need at least a passable resume to reach the White House.

Jesse Jackson has one major problem. He's never held elected office. And, so far as I can recall, no one has come into the Presidency without being elected to the government in some other fashion first. That's the pillar you stand on to reach the presidency. You need at least a passable resume to reach the White House.
Grant, Taft, Hoover, Ike and Herman Cain! ;)
But he's not Republican :(

Grant, Taft, Hoover, Ike and Herman Cain! ;)
But he's not Republican :(

Ok, you can get to the White House with things other than Elected Office but its limited.

Grant and Ike were Generals. You can hop from the Top of the Military to the White House. Hoover had appointed positions in the White House. Taft had numerous appoined positions.

That's pretty hard too I think. Do you just want a black President?
kinda :D my entire ATL is ASB, but im trying to make it as plausible as possible while still having a familiar-yet-strange feel to it
to be fair, i think a civil rights activist (or leader) may have a better shot than someone who didnt hold elected office; if nothing else, they may get charisma votes. Jackson Sr., however, does seem a bit more far-fetched than Sharpton does. for the purposes of the TL, i suppose that, for plausibility, either Jackson Sr or Sharpton could be butterflied into a senate seat (in Sharpton's case, its a bit more plausible since, iirc, he did run for senate IOTL)

Those of us who were backing Jesse in '88 (and I was one of them, I did a lot of canvassing for him in the primary, and then a lot of canvassing for Dukakis in the general--people who suggest Jackson and his supporters were not trying their damnedest to get some Democrat elected that year are just plain wrong, I'm personally here to tell you) knew very well he wasn't even going to win the Democratic primary, let alone win in November.

We did work hard to raise our numbers as much as possible; the LA Times the day of the primary predicted we'd get 10 percent in California--we got 20.

The point was to interject a different and more progressive voice into the debate, perhaps get Jesse considered for VP or some other office in a new Democratic administration.

My personal turning point, from merely thinking it was cool the man would try and just voting for him in the primary, to finding the HQ and hitting the streets on his behalf, was in-depth articles in the LA Times based on interviews with the Dem candidates on various issues, including foreign policy. Jackson broke distinctively from the bi-partisan "consensus" in a way I considered intelligent and hopeful. Trying to get mind and heart on the same integral page sort of describes my personal program; Jackson came closer than any so-called "mainstream" candidate.

As for Dukakis, I for one had not heard of him a year before the election. Certainly in retrospect, I don't see how one can claim he was more "electable" than Jackson was. That didn't stop me from trying in the fall though!

Given the nature of Bush's victory that year, I'd say the only prayer the Democrats had would have been to make themselves as distinct from the Republicans as possible, to point out that the country was in many ways very much on the wrong track and a new start with a clean slate would be the only way to go. That's what I thought going in, in the wake of the whole Contragate mess and general economic discontent I thought we had a real chance to wake up many people who normally don't vote and win over substantial numbers of people who generally do. And looking back on it I still regret that we didn't though I better understand how the mainstream Democratic party bigwigs could scarcely adopt such a line, let alone follow through on it.

So in retrospect, if one addresses the deep reasons why the Democrats in general failed to adopt a more radically progressive line, I do think if Jackson's sort of views could prevail in the primary and in the platform, then we'd have had a better chance of winning than with any of what the press was then calling "the Seven Dwarves" of the Democratic primary "mainstream."

If you insist on having an earlier African American POTUS, you best shot is Governor Douglas Wilder Of Virginia in 1992. The problem being is a Conservative Democrat.

If you insist on having an earlier African American POTUS, you best shot is Governor Douglas Wilder Of Virginia in 1992. The problem being is a Conservative Democrat.

I agree, (although Wilder was not quite a complete conservative Democrat as he was pro-choice an ddidn't hide the issue).

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Douglas_Wilder

He actually dabbled a little bit with running for President 1992. I seem to recall on paper he was the ideal candidate, but that he had trouble with focus groups once they learned his ethnicity. I think I read that in Germond's book on the 1992 election.

Would require major ASB work.....

But imagine if Dukakis took him as his running mate in the election, then
Quayle had another major gaffe, and Bush had major health problems...even then, a real long shot.

Jackson is ASB, he is like gary hart in terms of being in implosion waiting to happen;

earliest realistic black president is Colin Powell 1992

to be fair, i think a civil rights activist (or leader) may have a better shot than someone who didnt hold elected office; if nothing else, they may get charisma votes. Jackson Sr., however, does seem a bit more far-fetched than Sharpton does. for the purposes of the TL, i suppose that, for plausibility, either Jackson Sr or Sharpton could be butterflied into a senate seat (in Sharpton's case, its a bit more plausible since, iirc, he did run for senate IOTL)

Sharpton had even less national credibility than Jackson. Sharpton was basically a local New York personality who was able to use the large New York City media market to get attention. Jackson had been a national figure since the early 1970s.

The problem for both getting elected is that many white people saw them as race hustlers. Anytime there is a problem it's because of white people, either something they did do or didn't do. It's always the white people's fault, and the solution is always to give more money, affirmative action, or some other solution that directly impacts whites. Meanwhile, the problem never seems to be actually solved or improved.

BTW, both have been known to make derogatory remarks about ethnic groups that were not African-American. Both have said anti-semetic remarks for example. That kind of things hurts you having a reputation of being actually concerned about equal rights for all as opposed to simply looking out for your own group.

Whether or not you accept that interpretation as legitimate, it's how many people felt.

I don't think it's a surprise that the two black figures seen as legitimate presidential contenders in the past 20 years (Colin Powell and Barack Obama) did not come out of that milieu. While both were black, Powell's family were immigrant black Caribbeans, and Obama was born from an actual African parent. Neither's family had experiences rooted in slavery or experienced decades of racial discrimination. Neither seemed to blame whites and were not seen as objectionable.

If Jackson somehow got the Dem nomination... I won't call that impossible, however unlikely it is, Bush would landslide him as badly as Reagan landslided Carter.