President James E. Carter, 1977-1985.

MrHola

Banned
Is a second Carter term plausible, and if so how would it have gone?
Would Mondale be able to win in '84, and who would the Republicans nominate?

Might Reagan get another chance?

He would have ended the Cold War, whilst keeping Russia stable, but converting it into a democracy, solved Africas problems, introduced a solution to climate change and be recognised as the next King of England, and with a change to the rules, pope. In doing so he would have made America the most popular nation on the planet, converting Maggie Thatcher along the way.

Then he would have had lunch.:p:D

Alcuin

Banned

He would have ended the Cold War by converting Leonid Brezhnev (even in OTL, during one of the SALT talks, Brezhnev said, "Jimmy, if we mess this up, God will never forgive us". So, he (and the Soviet Union - or to give it its new name, Eastern Baptist Union) were already on their way to be ing Saved.

He would invade Iran, freeing the hostages still held by the Iranians, and bring the reign of the Ayatollahs to an end, replacing it with a free and democratic Iran with no Shah and no secret police.

Then he'd retire.

Mondale wouldn't even win the Democratic nomination and Ronald Reagan would still beat Gary Hart in 1984.

Is a second Carter term plausible,

Short answer: before the last debate, Carter and Reagan were neck-and-neck in the polls. Have either this debate get canceled (Carter originally didn't want to do ANY debates), or get Reagan to act like a doddering old guy like he did in several other debates. The last debate lost Carter the election.

and if so how would it have gone?

If his first term was anything to go by *urp*...as far as I can tell, no president's second term has been as good as his first.

Republicans would nominate Bush or Dole. Mondale has an even chance against either of them, but my money's on the Republican candidate in '84.

No.

It's not plausible because of the 6% rule. The economy only grew 0.72% from the third quarter of 1978 through the third quarter of 1980.

MrP

Banned
Wait a minute. How could the General Secretary of the Communist party of the Soviet Union have believed in God?

The quotation merely suggests he was using it as a persuasive technique. I wouldn't regard it as evidence for or against a belief in God.

As to Jimmy Carter serving two full terms as President, I doubt a second Carter term would have gone any better or been any more positive than his first term, the term he did serve in OTL. The Republicans would have easily won The White House in 1984 especially if the Democratic nominee had been Mondale. After two terms of Carter as President, it might have even been difficult for The Democrats to hold onto control of Congress in the 84 election.

As to the quote by Brezhnev, I have often wondered if some of the Soviet leaders personally and privately had a belief in God, but to reach and maintain the positions they had in a Communist country like The USSR they publicly espoused and maintained the official Communist line of being atheist.

I'm interested in how Carter would've dealt with the Iranian hostages. In OTL, they were released the day Reagan took office, perhaps because Reagan was seen as being more willing to use force to punish Iran. What would Carter do if re-elected? Or do people think it likely that the Iranians would've handed them over anyway?

I think The Iranians did view Reagan as being stronger and more strong willed, and also as being more willing to use force.

When The Iranians took the hostages I think they viewed Carter as being a weak President, and may have figured he would either not seek a second term or would be defeated in 1980. Had Carter been re-elected The Iranians would have been faced with maybe holding the hostages for a much longer time and they would have then been quite willing to negotiate some kind of release.

I think The Iranians did view Reagan as being stronger and more strong willed, and also as being more willing to use force.

When The Iranians took the hostages I think they viewed Carter as being a weak President, and may have figured he would either not seek a second term or would be defeated in 1980. Had Carter been re-elected The Iranians would have been faced with maybe holding the hostages for a much longer time and they would have then been quite willing to negotiate some kind of release.

If they hadn't, another plan was in the works to rescue the hostages by landing modified Hercules cargo aircraft equipped with rockets to allow short takeoffs and landings in a soccer stadium near the embassy. If this complex and dangerous plan had succeeded, perhaps Desert Eagle would've been forgotten. If it had failed, and if it had failed something like this would've failed even MORE spectacularly, the Democratic party might be in trouble when the 1982 elections roll around...