President Huffington

For those of you who don't know the story of Michael Huffington, here's the short version: The son of a wealthy oilman was bored, and went to a Republican Congressional Candidate workshop being put on by the California Republican Party. After, he decided to run for Congress. He spent a record $5 million to win his seat in 1992. He was bored with politics, and decided to run for the senate in 1994 with the hope that he would lose. He spent $30 million dollars, and lost narrowly to Dianne Feinstein. He divorced his wife Arianna (yes, THAT Arianna Huffington), and came out of the closet in 1998. In 2003, he decided not to run for governor of California, and supported Arnold.

Anyway, while Michael was still in Congress, Norman Mailer was quoted as saying that Michael would be elected president one day. My question is what if Huffington had been elected to the senate in 1994, and decided not to divorce his wife or declare his homosexuality. Then imagine that he had the popular support in 2000 to be pushed into a presidential campaign. Would the media have exposed his homosexuality during the campaign? If he wereelected, and the news broke, how would the nation react to its first "outed" president?

Yes, I remember the man well. After some years married to and living with Arianna, the conservative Republican resigned from politics and left her for another man. She must have been some piece of work.

Grimm Reaper said:
Yes, I remember the man well. After some years married to and living with Arianna, the conservative Republican resigned from politics and left her for another man. She must have been some piece of work.
I'm completely straight, but I think I would have left her for another man too. That is one annoying woman.

Underboss_3 said:
I'm completely straight, but I think I would have left her for another man too. That is one annoying woman.

Why? Her voice is annoying, but she's actually a very intelligent and interesting person. She was the only one of the gubernatorial candidates to have a coherent and workable program to bail CA of the mess it's in.

She was a ridiculous creature. The "most socially mobile upward Greek since Icarus" as someone called her. Notorious for her networking. In Britain, got a job through her contacts running a tv talkshow which had to be axed after a couple of editions because her accent was unintelligible. I seem to remember that PRIVATE EYE, the British satirical magazine, had to print an apology for suggesting that her Oxbridge exams were fixed because of her family connections with the Greek Colonels. Latched on to poor Bernard Levin (in those days a power in the media) and got him involved with some looney cult. Would move, I think, from one side to another, depending on how the wind is blowing.