President Benjamin Franklin

By the time Washington ascended the Presidency Benjamin Franklin was unable to walk because of severe gout, suffered from syphilis, was likely going senile and blind. He was so infirm that he had to be carried into the Constitutional Convention on a sedan chair. Robert Morris complains Franklin, as President of Pennsylvania, left all his responsibilities to the state General Assembly. This is hardly a good track record.

Assuming Franklin miraculously manages to survive until 1792 he will not be doing any governing. What we will see is a United States where the President is more a figurehead and rubber stamp to powerful Congressional leadership. There will be nothing "policy wise".

I agree that he had physical infirmities, but I haven't seen anything to indicate that he was significantly less mentally sharp in 1789 than he was a decade or earlier when he was navigating the diplomatic back channels of Europe excellently. Can you please provide references?

What if The Declaration of Independence works, and The first plans for Government suCceed, Franklin lives a hEalthier lifeStyle and survives a presidency in good health.

What if The Declaration of Independence works, and The first plans for Government suCceed, Franklin lives a hEalthier lifeStyle and survives a presidency in good health.
Franklin as President of the United States in Congress Assembled, under the Articles of Confederation? That could actually work!

I also had an idea of a presidential triumvirate ruling over U.S. divided in thirds, Hamilton is president of New England slice, Washington is president of Southern slice, and Franklin is president of Middle slice.

I also had an idea of a presidential triumvirate ruling over U.S. divided in thirds, Hamilton is president of New England slice, Washington is president of Southern slice, and Franklin is president of Middle slice.

Would they be ruled separately or would there just be a representative from each region who ruled together?

Also, Hamilton was not from New England. Maybe John Adams.

Thanks for the info on Hamilton, I guess Adams would work. The triumvirate rule as the executive branch of government, each president representing a different region.

Franklin as President of the United States in Congress Assembled, under the Articles of Confederation? That could actually work!

I was thinking that myself. It won't save he Articles as the government was so weak it was doomed but it still might have interesting effects.

I doubt anyone would go for that,certainly not Washington or Franklin.

Sorry - can't be done. He WAS too old, as a recent thread concluded - why think that'd change? Real old people have senility, fragile bones, and tons of every other problem. No, it either would probably be Adams, or less likely, maybe some general.

Real famous people aren't saints, either, able to do anything, but real people with real problems.

Sorry - can't be done. He WAS too old, as a recent thread concluded - why think that'd change? Real old people have senility, fragile bones, and tons of every other problem. No, it either would probably be Adams, or less likely, maybe some general.

Real famous people aren't saints, either, able to do anything, but real people with real problems.

He wouldn't be too old if the Declaration of Independence worked, meaning there would be no revolutionary war. George Washington would not be the celebrated hero he was in OTL, and Ben Franklin would be young enough to be president.

Last edited:
I was thinking that myself. It won't save he Articles as the government was so weak it was doomed but it still might have interesting effects.

But the Articles could, and probably would, have been amended. It is certainly possible, maybe not likely but possible, for the AoC to evolve over time into something useable. In that case the earlier 'presidents' that we dont count today could have counted in that tl. And Franklin could have been one of them.

He wouldn't be too old if the Declaration of Independence worked, meaning there would be no revolutionary war. George Washington would not be the celebrated hero he was in OTL, and Ben Franklin would be young enough to be president.

Well, there wouldn't be a presidency as under the 1787 Constitution under this scenario. Aside from the obvious (butterflies, shorter period of political development), the American predilection against a strong executive wouldn't have any counterpoint from the failure of a weak government under the Articles.

My suggestion to both Gamecrazy500 and William Penn is that, if you want to do a TL on the era, go do some research and reading on the era. And think about what are plausible changes when doing your TL. Plus, research has a way of giving you inspiration.

WilliamPenn wrote:
Who knew just contrarianism made you right?