Possibility Check: Lucky Congo

I have just picked up King Leopold's Ghost by Adam Hochschild and I got more interest then knowledge about it. Where the Congo basin destined for bad things to happen to it due to geography, slave trade and etnic diversity or could things have turned out good?

Leopold II was a jerk. A murderous jerk. Get rid of him, and the Congo is better off. But the Congo is probably just too big to work without good leaders, mediocre leadership will result in ruin

its difficult, significant development requires the Livingstone Falls to be bypassed by railroad (prior to this the only way to get goods in or out is via human porters, expensive, often fatal, and dehumanizing). No native state could afford to do this, and any external power is going to want a return on this investment within a few years and probably pursue unpleasant measures to do so! In other parts of Africa such infrastructure investments weren't a problem , as you could build a little bit, make some money, and then build the next bit - here you need a huge cash injection to get the 200 kilometres of the Matadi-Kinshasa Railway (and remember you need human porters to shift all the materials!) done in one go.

I think the best bet is for Portugal to get the Congo, as they're too poor and overstretched to properly oppress the place, delaying 'development' into the 20th century when some diseases are solved and rampant brutality in colonies goes out of fashion somewhat.

Grey Wolf

Donor
The best thing for the Congo is not to be the Congo. Keep the East as a relatively settled Arab state. Bring Katanga under the British crown. Let the Portuguese and the French divide the rest.

Best Regards
Grey Wolf

Instead of Alvaro II's reign being a time of decentralization and eventual invasion from Portugal, make him a Lenin. It is evil but at the time the Kongo was not willing to give up their control and limitation of the slave trade. The Portuguese in OTL unleashed cannibal mercenary armies on them in response, leaving an already weak monarchy, crippled.

So instead if Alvaro was more willing to sell his countrymen up the river for cheaper, I would imagine he could sell the underlings of his rivals to prevent the Civil war that also happened during his reign.

But besides that the 17th century could be the century when the Kongo pulls off a Meiji. A centralized Kingdom of the Kongo would prove a better ally for the Dutch when they try to replace the Portuguese. If the Kongo wins good terms and truly ally with the Dutch there would be a Dutch Angola which would be interesting.

Just stop the Civil wars of that country, seriously I can't think of another country with more, just about one civil war per king.