Possibilities for a Long-Term Surviving Burgundy

For some time now, I've been fascinated by the notion of Burgundy surviving well past the Middle Ages. Leaving aside the question of exactly how this happens, could the Bourgognes have consolidated their holdings into a single, unified nation? And what might that have looked like?

The first obstacle (beyond dynastic survival) is consolidation. The "Burgundian State" was not contiguous. In particular, the original Duchy of Burgundy was disconnected from their holdings in the Low Countries. To connect them, Burgundy needs to either seize a part of France or incorporate the Duchy of Lorraine. They did occupy Lorraine shortly before the death of Charles the Bold. Also, Burgundy would need to gain formal independence from France.

The second obstacle, and one that would probably pose the greatest long-term threat to Burgundy, would be ethno-linguistic. Burgundy would face some of the same issues that Belgium has historically dealt with: the division between a Francophone south and a Flemish/Dutch north. It's entirely possible that at some point, Burgundy faces a different Dutch Revolt (especially once the Protestant Reformation hits). Moving the capital north from Dijon might mitigate this.

If Burgundy survives, they will be a major force in European politics. The butterflies would quickly render the details unrecognizable, but I think we can see some broad patterns. As with the OTL Netherlands, Burgundy would likely become a colonial power. In fact, I would expect them to be a power more on the level of France.

Of course, what offers the most potential for a surviving Burgundy is that their lands are rich in iron and coal deposits, which would be a massive boon come the Industrial Revolution. Burgundy might well give Britain a run for its money in terms of who is the dominant industrial power in Europe, at least until Germany unifies... if it does. Burgundy would almost certainly be opposed to German unification, seeing the minor states of northwest Germany as its clients, maybe even eyeing the Rhineland. Of course, the same forces of nationalism trying to unite Germany might also tear Burgundy apart.

So, any thoughts? Could Burgundy have survived long-term? And if there are any good timelines dealing with something like this, please let me know!

The thing was that the Duchy of Burgundy and the region of Burgundy was in two different locations. Are you referring to the Valois-Burgundian realm of Charles the Bold or the county of Burgundy annexed by France after 1477?

Because the best way to salvage as much as can be salvaged is to leave Charles the Bold a son or two who can fight for their inheritance without a bunch of ugly jawed Hapsburgs being everywhere screwing it up.

*points in the general direction of my Burgundian TL*

To connect them, Burgundy needs to either seize a part of France or incorporate the Duchy of Lorraine. They did occupy Lorraine shortly before the death of Charles the Bold.
If Charles hadn't died and won the war that'd have been rapidly achieved. Alternatively if Charles hadn't been "as bold" and instead maintained good relations with Lorraine a personal union would've been on the table later down the line.

The second obstacle, and one that would probably pose the greatest long-term threat to Burgundy, would be ethno-linguistic. Burgundy would face some of the same issues that Belgium has historically dealt with: the division between a Francophone south and a Flemish/Dutch north.
First of all nationalism might never become a thing in an atl. Secondly Belgium's issue with nationalism was basically non-existent until the Nazis invaded, before that Flemish "nationalism" was nothing more than having equal rights when it came to language (and even today nationalism still isn't an actual threat, even the most popular nationalist party doesn't make it their priority).

It's entirely possible that at some point, Burgundy faces a different Dutch Revolt (especially once the Protestant Reformation hits). Moving the capital north from Dijon might mitigate this.
If the reformation happens, and the dukes turn out to be devoutly Catholic and repress protestantism, then a protestant revolt is guaranteed to happen, but this is never going to result in an independence movement because... They practically already are independent. A duke ruling over the Netherlands and Burgundy is incomparable to a distant king in Madrid who never even set foot in the Netherlands.

The dukes already spend much (if not most) of their time in the Low Countries. Dijon was only the capital of the Duchy of Burgundy itself, Mechelen was the "capital" of their territories in the Low Countries (and each county/duchy had its own individual capital as well).

So, any thoughts? Could Burgundy have survived long-term? And if there are any good timelines dealing with something like this, please let me know!
Burgundy as a whole? Unlikely. France is still massive, as in a 10:1 advantage in total population, and it's almost guaranteed they'll end up taking control of a couple of places like Burgundy and Picardy at some point... Ironically turning the Burgundians more into some kind of uber-Benelux instead.
But it's not impossible either. The 16th and early 17th centuries weren't exactly the best times for France, it would keep the French monarchs busy enough with internal affairs for a long time and could also help with establishing the Burgundians as fully independent from France... And if it ends with a victory of the high nobility over the monarchy then they're pretty much screwed imo.

The Duchy of Bourgogne was a Pair Duchy of the French Kingdom, the former County of Flanders was also a Pair County of the French Kingdom.

So you need a very weak France to accept the formal independance of two of its main provinces.

Since Louis XI to Napoleon, the French main territorial dream was to take back the Flanders and the others northern regions, that became Spanish then Austrian after Big Burgundy disparition.

Faeelin

Banned
Because the best way to salvage as much as can be salvaged is to leave Charles the Bold a son or two who can fight for their inheritance without a bunch of ugly jawed Hapsburgs being everywhere screwing it up.

Sorry the Habsburgs were more succesful than the dude dead in a ditch.

The Duchy of Burgundy was the one incorporated into the crown in 1477, not the county, the County of Burgundy is Franche-Comté.
That's what I get for writing when I'm mopping the floor. Thanks for correcting me for the embarrassing mistake.

Sorry the Habsburgs were more succesful than the dude dead in a ditch.
Charles was a special disaster, but the Hapsburgs did alienate plenty of people in the Low Countries. Not helped by the fact that Mary died so young.