Pop Culture Timelines Go-To Thread

Decided to look up Marvel/Artisan thing further. According to Variety in 2003:
Initially outfoxed in an auction for the Gotham film company, Lions Gate is back in the Artisan hen house.

Several other suitors also remain in the hunt, as Artisan continues a company auction commenced in April. Miramax and Marvel execs have huddled preliminarily about the possibility of a joint bid for the company.
Even Marvel seems to have cooled its ardor after early keen interest in making a cash- and stock-based offer for Artisan, whose library cash flow would help smooth out the comics giant’s income volatility. But sources suggest due diligence unearthed enough info about Artisan’s cost structure to shape a more cautious attitude among Marvel execs.

So the company now is engaged in talks with various prospective partners, including Miramax. One financial community source suggested Marvel ideally would like to limit its participation to a minority interest in Artisan.

“They are two great companies,” Miramax spokesman Matthew Hiltzik said, referring to Artisan and Marvel. “But it’s just speculation.”
Lionsgate paid $220 million for Artisan, so this is something to keep in mind.

In honor of Aquaman 2 coming out, I had a random thought. Aquaman was one of the few DC heroes to survive through the end of the Golden Age. Would he remain more popular in a world where there was no Space Race? I'm wondering if the pre-Sputnik era was more fascinated with the deep sea than those of us in the 21st century.

I watched this interesting video about Super Sushi Pinball, the lost Sony ImageSoft NES game, after it popped up as a recommendation in my YouTube feed the other day. I'm sharing it because I thought folks here might find it neat.

I watched this interesting video about Super Sushi Pinball, the lost Sony ImageSoft NES game, after it popped up as a recommendation in my YouTube feed the other day. I'm sharing it because I thought folks here might find it neat.

Umm surprised so much space wasted on text but doesn't look that special

The question arose - what name would Bloom have if the Winx had chosen Italy as their stat location (OTL - the location is very arbitrary, but it is hinted that it is California)?

Last edited:
The question arose - what name would Bloom have if the Winx had chosen Italy as their stat location (OTL - the location is very arbitrary, but it is hinted that it is California)?
I'm guessing Bloom would have an typical Italian female name.

I never expected that Bloom's city in our world is actually in California.

I'm guessing Bloom would have an typical Italian female name.

I always thought she was Italian,the Motorcycle she uses is Italian as fuck

Quote from wiki:

Gardenia is a town located on the coast of California, United States on planet Earth.[1]

1. Seen as camera zooms into said location in "The Last Fairy on Earth".
Character names:
Mike
Vanessa
Most of them are English.

PS - Nivek, don’t think that I’m trying to insult you or restrict your freedom of speech, but I would prefer that you not swear when talking to me. I understand, and I really am an old-fashioned prude - but lately I've been devastated by my job, and it doesn't help that I hear constant swearing there. Sorry if I offended you.

Last edited:
I used to think she was a typical teenage girl with orange hair. When I was kid, I couldn't tell her nationality. from Stella and Techna. Flora and Musa definitely stood out though due to their different skin color.

P.S. I know Winx is primarily marketed towards girls but as a kid in 2004-2005, I usually get to see it while waiting for Foster's Home for Imaginary Friends in Cartoon Network Philippines.

Italian cartoons were such a vibe. I've watched Winx on CN alongside W.I.T.C.H. and Monster Allergy on Disney Channel Southeast Asia.
Quote from wiki:

Character names:
MikeVanessa

Most of them are English.

PS - Nivek, don’t think that I’m trying to insult you or restrict your freedom of speech, but I would prefer that you not swear when talking to me. I understand, and I really am an old-fashioned prude - but lately I've been devastated by my job, and it doesn't help that I hear constant swearing there. Sorry if I offended you.
Yeah, most of them indeed have the typical Anglo names you see on TV shows. For simplicity's sake.

I guess the author or creator of Winx did not really mind about the Earth settings that much since the Magic Dimension is the focus of the show. Think of it as a "lighter" example of The Mist or Half-Life where a dimension exists within our multiverse. But instead of aliens or other forms of life, it's a parallel universe where magic is more common alongside modern technology.

Winx in the Philippines has already transferred to Nickelodeon sometime in the 2010s. Disney Channel Southeast Asia has ceased operations since October 2021.
here Winx collapse itself into irrelevance, only people remember the first two season and mostly the first one

here Winx collapse itself into irrelevance, only people remember the first two season and mostly the first one
I'm actually surprised as of 2019, that was it still ongoing as a revived series. I just knew because I saw a Facebook post in 2019 that Winx Club celebrated its 15th anniversary. It's dragging on just like The Simpsons and Spongebob Squarepants. The original one ended in 2009.

I stopped watching after Season 1. For me, the ending where the Fairies, Wizards, and the good faction of the Witches fought against the antagonist was already enough. I did not bother to watch Season 2.

As for the series as a whole, it will turn 20 next year.

Yeah, most of them indeed have the typical Anglo names you see on TV shows. For simplicity's sake.

I guess the author or creator of Winx did not really mind about the Earth settings that much since the Magic Dimension is the focus of the show. Think of it as a "lighter" example of The Mist or Half-Life where a dimension exists within our multiverse. But instead of aliens or other forms of life, it's a parallel universe where magic is more common alongside modern technology.
I know the basic plot and have even seen some of it. I have given a list of characters living on Earth.
Actually, I just noticed that in French Italian comics there is a tendency to make the main characters American or English. And I decided that under certain circumstances this trend can be reversed.
Italian cartoons were such a vibe. I've watched Winx on CN alongside W.I.T.C.H. and Monster Allergy on Disney Channel Southeast Asia.
Although THE WITCH is an adaptation of an Italian comic, the cartoon itself was created by the French branch of the American studio. There are producers and key animators, both French and American.

Although THE WITCH is an adaptation of an Italian comic, the cartoon itself was created by the French branch of the American studio. There are producers and key animators, both French and American.
I like W.I.T.C.H. better than Winx Club for some reason. When I was 11-12, I had a cartoon crush on Haylin. She was definitely adorable as the main character coming into terms with her witch powers just as she enters her teen years. Think of it like akin to Spider-Man (2002) when Peter Parker had a hard time balancing his spider powers and abilities while having teenage angst.

This reminds me that there's another obscure cartoon that showed on Disney Channel-Asia in 2007-2008. It's called Shaolin Wuzang, a joint production between a Chinese and French animation studio.
This show is often forgotten because it runs in parallel with Avatar: The Last Airbender on Nickelodeon on weekend mornings.

I like W.I.T.C.H. better than Winx Club for some reason. When I was 11-12, I had a cartoon crush on Haylin. She was definitely adorable as the main character coming into terms with her witch powers just as she enters her teen years.
In fact, WITCH was much more popular among guys than Winx - WITCH seemed much more down to earth and more action-oriented, while Winx had a kitschy flavor and seemed overly girly. Now I see this as stupid - after all, WITCH is a fantasy, and Winx is a fairy tale and has its own charm (although as far as I can tell, there were also many Winx fans among the guys - for reasons).

This reminds me that there's another obscure cartoon that showed on Disney Channel-Asia in 2007-2008. It's called Shaolin Wuzang, a joint production between a Chinese and French animation studio.
This show is often forgotten because it runs in parallel with Avatar: The Last Airbender on Nickelodeon on weekend mornings.
Damn, I don’t think anyone in Russia has heard of this show. However, it's interesting - from what I've heard, Avatar is not popular in China, Japan, and Korea (for all the Asian decor, the characters tend to behave like representatives of modern Euro-American rather than Confucian culture). Thought - in a scenario where the USSR won the Cold War, this series might be more famous.