Pop-culture in TL-191

• Thread starter Deleted member 82792
  • Start date
Books of the Antietam Timeline series:
-A House Divided Cannot Stand (1862-1865)
-American Empire (1876,1895-1898)
-European Front (1914-1915)
-Trenches (1916-1917)
-Armistice (1918)
-Weimar Republic (1918-1933)
-Third Reich (1933-1941)
-Blitzkrieg (1941-1942)
-Drive to the West (1942-1943)
-Operation Poseidon (1943-1944)
-Destroyer of Worlds (1945)

Inspiration:
Tom_NFUC's posts
What are each of these books about?

MV5BOTQ4OGQyMjctZWY1My00OWEwLTlkZGItZDMwZTAwM2IyNThkXkEyXkFqcGdeQXVyNjIzOTY2ODA@._V1_.jpg

A promotional pamphlet for the infamous 1940 French Actionist film Forces Occultes (Occult Forces in English), which depicts a supposed "Judeo-Masonic" Conspiracy which purportedly was responsible for France's defeat during the First Great War. The film would follow a young French politician who joined the Freemasons in order to advance his political career only to discover that the organization along with it's Jewish benefactors were in fact, conspiring to ruin France amidst it's war with Germany. Since 1945, Forces Occultes among other Actionist era films have been banned from public viewing under French Law and can only be viewed for educational or academic purposes only.

Deleted member 196719

Some of my headcanon TV Shows within the TL-191 Universe.

- Hellsing's Heroes (1959 - 1963)
An American action horror television show starring Ernest Borgnine as the titular Van Hellsing, here reimagined as a U.S Navy Captain. Helming the U.S.S Demeter, Van Hellsing does battle with a myriad of malevolent supernatural threats, often led by his archnemesis, The CS Navy Captain and vampire lord Captain Drake Kincaid, played by singer-actor Johnny Cash. A film adaptation was released by RKO Pictures in 2005 starring Allen Grammar as Van Helsing and Joaquin Phoenix as Kincaid.

- Captain America: The Animated Series (1980 - 1986)
Co-created by Ralph Bakshi and Jim Shooter and produced by Terrytoons for the MBS Network, Captain America: The Animated Series is an animated superhero action television show starring the titular Atlas Comics character. Upon it's release it received critical acclaim for it's mature tone, well-developed characters, and unflinching examination of the horrors of the Second Great War.

- The Diary of Maya Angelou
A television miniseries based on the book of the same name, centered around the real-life story of a young black girl and her family struggling to survive in the Arkansas backwoods at the height of the Population Reduction. Starring actress Janet Jackson (Whose own parents were survivors of Camp Determination), the series was well-received, but sparked controversy for it's rather dark subject matter and primetime slot.

Some of my headcanon TV Shows within the TL-191 Universe.

- Hellsing's Heroes (1959 - 1963)
An American action horror television show starring Ernest Borgnine as the titular Van Hellsing, here reimagined as a U.S Navy Captain. Helming the U.S.S Demeter, Van Hellsing does battle with a myriad of malevolent supernatural threats, often led by his archnemesis, The CS Navy Captain and vampire lord Captain Drake Kincaid, played by singer-actor Johnny Cash. A film adaptation was released by RKO Pictures in 2005 starring Allen Grammar as Van Helsing and Joaquin Phoenix as Kincaid.

- Captain America: The Animated Series (1980 - 1986)
Co-created by Ralph Bakshi and Jim Shooter and produced by Terrytoons for the MBS Network, Captain America: The Animated Series is an animated superhero action television show starring the titular Atlas Comics character. Upon it's release it received critical acclaim for it's mature tone, well-developed characters, and unflinching examination of the horrors of the Second Great War.

- The Diary of Maya Angelou
A television miniseries based on the book of the same name, centered around the real-life story of a young black girl and her family struggling to survive in the Arkansas backwoods at the height of the Population Reduction. Starring actress Janet Jackson (Whose own parents were survivors of Camp Determination), the series was well-received, but sparked controversy for it's rather dark subject matter and primetime slot.
I really like these.

[Here's my shot at one of these, riffing on TV Tropes' idea of the UK being the "Japan" of TL-191 in terms of postwar film and pop culture on account of being on the losing side and getting nuked to Hell, and my own extrapolation that that would extend to anime as well. Still trying to think of an in-universe term for British animation of this style.]

Fools' School (2000) - A UK animated series, made in their distinctive style, that tells the story of Nate-- a kid growing up in a rural England whose boring life is suddenly upended by the appearance of a manic alien girl calling herself Harriet, who roars into town on a scooter and wields an electric guitar. A surreal, often confusing coming-of-age tale ensues, which some have interpreted as a metaphor for the shattered identity of the post-SGW, post-superbombing UK and the yearslong Central Powers occupation that followed. Featuring an uplifting Britpop soundtrack by a popular band of the era.

[Here's my shot at one of these, riffing on TV Tropes' idea of the UK being the "Japan" of TL-191 in terms of postwar film and pop culture on account of being on the losing side and getting nuked to Hell, and my own extrapolation that that would extend to anime as well. Still trying to think of an in-universe term for British animation of this style.]

Fools' School (2000) - A UK animated series, made in their distinctive style, that tells the story of Nate-- a kid growing up in a rural England whose boring life is suddenly upended by the appearance of a manic alien girl calling herself Harriet, who roars into town on a scooter and wields an electric guitar. A surreal, often confusing coming-of-age tale ensues, which some have interpreted as a metaphor for the shattered identity of the post-SGW, post-superbombing UK and the yearslong Central Powers occupation that followed. Featuring an uplifting Britpop soundtrack by a popular band of the era.
I like this idea.

Some idea that I had for a while for a post but never had the wherewithall to make until now, namely a sequel to my post on (TL-191s Azur Lane.)
Screenshot_2023-02-22-16-00-07.jpg

The starting screen for the American-Quebecois made strategy game Victory Belles.

A major competitor to Azure Lane in the Naval Anthromorphic Genre, Victory Belles was first launched in 2018 would soon become a major rival to the British made game. Among the things that set Victory Belles apart from Azure Lane was that the game was set during the Second Great War, which saw an unknown enemy known as the Morganas attack, which would force both the Central Powers and the Radius into an uneasy alliance to combat them. In addition, the players have the option of selecting from several factions such as British, American, German, French, and Confederate navies as like in AL, but also can choose between Russians, Japanese, and Italian fleets as well (which those three factions had seldom been seen in other Naval SGW games, let alone in Azure Lane.) Additional ship-girls (or Belles as they are called in game) also come from the navies of the Ottomans, Austro-Hungarians, Quebecois, and the Netherlands. A third key feature of the game is the player to conduct R&D and Build equipment and train crews for their fleet, which enables the player to optimize their fleet for operations.

It seems like one of the prevailing ideas is that Germany and the US, post-SGW, would end up in a Cold War type scenario (in the Red Dawn sense of "two biggest kids on the block have to fight at some point") but I'm having fun just running with the idea of them staying best pals and having a "special relationship" akin to the US and UK in OTL. I brought this up in the Photos thread, but I saw a fun opportunity to loop in the new Wolfenstein games' version German-ified version of the Beatles as a shout out, and I'm thinking now that this could extend to a whole "German Invasion" of their pop culture and music becoming super popular in the US during the 60s.

Last edited:
It seems like one of the prevailing ideas is that Germany and the US, post-SGW, would end up in a Cold War type scenario (in the Red Dawn sense of "two biggest kids on the block have to fight at some point") but I'm having fun just running with the idea of them staying best pals and having a "special relationship" akin to the US and UK in OTL. I brought this up in the Photos thread, but I saw a fun opportunity to loop in the new Wolfenstein games' version German-ified version of the Beatles as a shout out, and I'm thinking now that this could extend to a whole "German Invasion" of their pop culture and music becoming super popular in the US during the 60s.
I guess that view is due to parallelism but you are right that ITTL USA and Germany are much closer culturally and diplomatically then the USA and the USSR ever were. While friction between super-power is unavoidable, they could perfectly be ''frenemy'', aka country that overall have close ties, economically and culturally, but politically have their up and down depending on the politicians in power and geopolitical events.

I can believe due to both of them being superpowers there would be friction but certainly nowhere close to the levels of the cold, more likely akin to the relations the Early USA had with the British Empire in the mid-1800s, before the CSA became independent.

intro-1589462007.jpg

Scene from "You Actionist Spy!" released on January 19, 1942, the first anti-Actionist movie in Hollywood. The movie mostly made fun of the regime of Action Française as The Three Stooges (the comedy trio) were Jewish.

I had a stupid idea of what Star Wars would look like in 191 for my own timeline-- it's got *no* basis in, like, unused scripts or actual things George Lucas wrote, it's more an AU based partly on ancillary materials and what I think Lucas would have written in a world shaped by both Great Wars. Basically, the Jedi serve a benevolent feudal Empire, and our heroes are all part of it, while Vader is a Sith Lord-- a Jedi who refused to serve the Emperor and turned to the Dark Side-- who leads a bloodthirsty rebellion against it. So you got role reversal, obviously, plus the bad guys with a more "Confederate" flavour as rebels who shatter the "union" of the Empire (obviously the US) with their senseless violence.

Amerika: The Last Battle

Amerika: The Last Battle is a 12-hour long 2017 neo-Freedom propaganda film directed by Tirpitz B. The film denies that the Confederate States of America seceded to protect the institution of slavery, the proven reality of the Population Reduction and other Allied atrocities while highlighting the war crimes committed by the Central Powers as a form of whataboutism. Various racist conspiracy theories are also promoted by the film, such as the idea of Jake Featherston fighting against a global African plot that started the First and Second Great Wars to end European colonialism and genocide whites in North America.

Widely acclaimed British military and political historian
David Irving has referred to the film as a "mix of blatant falsehoods and slanted portrayal of real events that gives it no historical legitimacy whatsoever, and it serves only to demonize the African people and whitewash the crimes of the Freedom Party."

See also:
  • Buckra Defense League
  • Goldman gap
  • Jake Featherston: The Greatest Story Never Told
  • The Correct Stuff
  • Quadruple parentheses
  • XAnon

(Obviously not an endorsement of any films, organizations or movements presented, whether real or fictional.)

Last edited: