Pop Culture History Question: Sega-Microsoft partnership, pros/cons, et cetera?

As a fan of EternalMadness1997's "The SEGA Generation" story, and a PlayStation child growing up, I absolutely love the thought of a Sega/Sony partnership. However, after remembering the story that Sega Chairman Isao Okawa had approached Microsoft with the idea of making Dreamcast games compatible with MS' then-new Xbox console, I found myself wondering about how the gaming world would look today if such a deal had gone through. Perhaps, even something more once Sega went third-party?

I was simply wondering what the pros and cons of a Sega/Microsoft partnership in the early aughts would have been, as well as the long-run effects of such a partnership continuing once Sega becomes a third-party dev. Perhaps Sonic the Hedgehog becomes an unofficial one of Xbox's mascots?

As a fan of EternalMadness1997's "The SEGA Generation" story, and a PlayStation child growing up, I absolutely love the thought of a Sega/Sony partnership. However, after remembering the story that Sega Chairman Isao Okawa had approached Microsoft with the idea of making Dreamcast games compatible with MS' then-new Xbox console, I found myself wondering about how the gaming world would look today if such a deal had gone through. Perhaps, even something more once Sega went third-party?

I was simply wondering what the pros and cons of a Sega/Microsoft partnership in the early aughts would have been, as well as the long-run effects of such a partnership continuing once Sega becomes a third-party dev. Perhaps Sonic the Hedgehog becomes an unofficial one of Xbox's mascots?
Well, in my TL(called TL-2K23, which is the first thing in my signature), I have Microsoft and Sega teaming up.

But I want a separate TL where such partnership DOES happen.