Pop Culture and the IRA

This is a Discussion more than a True WI or AH Challenge or anything of the sort, and one I hope to keep reasonably apolitical, if at all possible.

Basically, a Friend forwarded a reasonably good ditty by the Wolfe Tones. However, when I looked for more songs by this band, It became quickly apparent what the purpose of their celtic melodies were. This got me thinking, and to cut a long story short, I've come to realize the difference between the IRA and other, similar organizations.

Quite simply, it seems to be Popular Culture. I know, for example, that nobody in 1916 was much bothered by the Easter Rising, and that the IRA were a miniscule force heavily reliant on the sympathy and support of impoverished farmers. Indeed, the Easter Rising occurred entirely without the support of the "majority", with their leader being deliberately kept out of the loop.

However, ever since the inevitable breakdown of the Stormont Parliament in 1972, events like the Easter Rising have been elevated from interesting precursors to more significant events, to full-blown revolutionary martyrs and heroes. This seems odd to me, since the "Revolution", such as it was, occurred already, and the Irish were granted Home Rule in 1922.

The IRA, I believe, was successful because it had a damn good PR Machine. This PR Machine, drawing on celtic culture, popular music, and folk history, was not necessarily an organized or directed body, but rather a sporadic, perhaps spontaenous, outpouring of nationalistic/patriotic coming-of-age. Simply put, the Irish identity was tied with the "Struggle", and the IRA, despite being, quite frankly, a highly organized terrorist army, were identified with more conventional and arguably less brutal "freedom fighters".

The Popularization of the IRA with the Irish identity/brand took on a life of its own, and was, I believe, largely the reason for the "support" given to the organization and its more "legitimate" arms by the Libyans, and, in a more neglible way, groups within the United States. It is much easier to provide arms and funds to a group of brave, Irish rogues fighting for freedom, than it is to give to ranting, raving, masked vigilantes who blow up pubs and clubs. (The latter may sound more familiar to the US general public, under a different guise.)

Why then, now that the "Struggle" is over, at least for this generation, does the IRA continue to be shrouded in veils of nostalgic popularism? I fear that I am using inappropriate terminology for discussing such a volatile subject, but I am interested as to how the IRA became, well, at least partially successful, and why they are mythologized, whereas other, similar terroristic groups are by and large unknown, or, where known, vilified and reviled.

Why then, now that the "Struggle" is over, at least for this generation, does the IRA continue to be shrouded in veils of nostalgic popularism? I fear that I am using inappropriate terminology for discussing such a volatile subject, but I am interested as to how the IRA became, well, at least partially successful, and why they are mythologized, whereas other, similar terroristic groups are by and large unknown, or, where known, vilified and reviled.

While the Northern Ireland peace process is one of the few relatively successful examples of suche noble endevaours, economic disparity and ideological differences remained entrenched in NI. While the violence has largely subsided, integration remains an elusive goal. The British government has committed many stupid mistakes in its management of NI, but the real problem is that the alienation and negative feelings between the catholics and protestants is so deeply embedded in the history of NI that identity politics would remain dominant for long.

The main reason the IRA were 'successful' (and what a strange definition of 'successful' we must be using here) is they were operating in a democracy where they and their supporters had easy access to mass communication so they could make out their attacks as a freedom struggle rather than terrorist attacks. They were also 'successful' because, most of the time, they knew when not to cross the line and commit an outrage so great that the UK government would decide to fight fire with fire and unleash the full forces of the military on them.

Yes, they had a good PR machine and its a shame so many individuals in places in the USA were taken in by it but then we need only look at Al-Q and how many believe its message to know how easy it is to convince people of their message. They were also helped by the sheer stupidity of bodies like the RUC, who were one of the two things the British Army and IRA agreed upon.

Increasingly however the IRA is starting to lose its 'glamour' as the outrage around the McCartney murder and the struggle of the sisters for justice has shown. In addition, I think we will see more evidence of their involvement in crime coming to light, showing how they abused the communities they claimed to be protecting. I suspect that even in the most diehard nationalist communities in NI, in coming years they IRA will be viewed less as 'freedom fighters' and more as criminals.

The IRA and its grassroots support base come off as more

restrained than Palestinian or transnational Muslimist movements, both in tactics they ruled in and out, and in how they seemed to feel about their enemies.

They're still ruthless militant nationalists using and rationalizing terrorism mind you, but, ISTM, not as much as Mideast groups and their sympathizers.

Were the IRA and friends like this because the British, despite their own excesses, showed more restraint than the Israelis and Mideast governments?

Or did the British show more restraint than the Israelis and Mideast governments because the IRA was more restrained and its supporters less implacable?

chicken or egg

It was really a case that the IRA knowing that as long as they kept below a certain level the British government would show a certain restraint in reactions. It was a difficult balance to maintain and both sides nearly crossed the mark on numerous occasions.

restrained than Palestinian or transnational Muslimist movements, both in tactics they ruled in and out, and in how they seemed to feel about their enemies.

They're still ruthless militant nationalists using and rationalizing terrorism mind you, but, ISTM, not as much as Mideast groups and their sympathizers.

Were the IRA and friends like this because the British, despite their own excesses, showed more restraint than the Israelis and Mideast governments?

Or did the British show more restraint than the Israelis and Mideast governments because the IRA was more restrained and its supporters less implacable?

chicken or egg

The IRA were intelligent about what they were trying to achieve. Demonstrating that you could kill large numbers of people (but not doing it) creates terror and makes the general public more willing to give in to your demands. Actually killing large numbers of people creates anger and makes the public more opposed to your demands.

Cheers,
Nigel.

Basically, a Friend forwarded a reasonably good ditty by the Wolfe Tones. However, when I looked for more songs by this band, It became quickly apparent what the purpose of their celtic melodies were. This got me thinking, and to cut a long story short, I've come to realize the difference between the IRA and other, similar organizations.

Quite simply, it seems to be Popular Culture. I know, for example, that nobody in 1916 was much bothered by the Easter Rising, and that the IRA were a miniscule force heavily reliant on the sympathy and support of impoverished farmers. Indeed, the Easter Rising occurred entirely without the support of the "majority", with their leader being deliberately kept out of the loop.

Popular culture plays a role in conflict in other parts of the world as well. The best selling music single ever in Egypt, and indeed in most of the Arab world was entitled "Bakrah Israel" or "I hate Israel."

This is the primary lyric, occassionally supplemented by cries of how much the singer hates Ehud Barak and loves Hosni Mubarak.

So I've got one vote for the rebellious side setting the tone

in these types of conflicts.

Versus no votes so far in the government's tactics being the prime mover.