Politeia tōn Rhōmaiōn: The Restored Roman Republic

I would argue that a Republic has fewer incentives for generals to aim for mediocrity than an Empire. In an Empire, a coup is a greater risk. In a Republic, successful generals can hold the highest office through the normal avenues of advancement. It just so happens that Alexios happened to be in the same competency tier as Julius Caesar Gaius Marius and Scipio Africanus. He reconquered a region that was a lucrative tax base and home to the most holy sites in the state religion, and reformed the entire military when he was done. Oh, and his reforms called for the soldiers to be economically aided by the state. And those soldiers knew exactly who to thank for the fact that their equipment wasn't coming out of their own pocket, and that those training drills that pulled them from their farms were now compensated by the state.

Alexios was a once in a few centuries threat to the Republic, when you look at it that way. It just so happens that he didn't fight hard enough to cause a civil war.

I would argue that a Republic has fewer incentives for generals to aim for mediocrity than an Empire. In an Empire, a coup is a greater risk. In a Republic, successful generals can hold the highest office through the normal avenues of advancement.
For a small selective group.By all means,this is not a liberal republic.This is an aristocratic republic.Unless you have the money and pedigree,you are stuck as a middle ranking officer or official no matter how talented you are,given the voting system's completely rigged.There will definitely be a lot of dissent within the middle-lower ranks,and eventually,all it takes will be a popular general offering to promote the lot to get a rebellion going.

It just so happens that Alexios happened to be in the same competency tier as Julius Caesar Gaius Marius and Scipio Africanus. He reconquered a region that was a lucrative tax base and home to the most holy sites in the state religion, and reformed the entire military when he was done. Oh, and his reforms called for the soldiers to be economically aided by the state. And those soldiers knew exactly who to thank for the fact that their equipment wasn't coming out of their own pocket, and that those training drills that pulled them from their farms were now compensated by the state.

Alexios was a once in a few centuries threat to the Republic, when you look at it that way. It just so happens that he didn't fight hard enough to cause a civil war.
So was the army under the post-Marius era.

Unless you can get some serious electoral reforms going on,Roman Republic 2.0's gonna just end up like it's first incarnation.Whatever the faults of the empire are,there's no doubt that there's a lot more social mobility within the empire than within the Roman Republic.Just as the elite feared Alexios because of the precedence of Caesar and co.,so too will the non-elite and ambitious political figures look at Caesar and co. as a source of inspiration.

Last edited:
For a small selective group.By all means,this is not a liberal republic.This is an aristocratic republic.Unless you have the money and pedigree,you are stuck as a middle ranking officer or official no matter how talented you are,given the voting system's completely rigged.There will definitely be a lot of dissent within the middle-lower ranks,and eventually,all it takes will be a popular general offering to promote the lot to get a rebellion going.

So was the army under post-Marius.

Unless you can get some serious electoral reforms going on,Roman Republic 2.0's gonna just end up like it's first incarnation.Whatever the faults of the empire are,there's no doubt that there's a lot more social mobility within the empire than within the Roman Republic.Just as the elite feared Alexios because of the precedence of Caesar and co.,so to will the non-elite look at Caesar and co. as a source of inspiration.

I'm of the opinion that the general gist of these concerns are not as threatening to the new republic as the old. There are a variety of reasons:

- The state has already bit the bullet when it comes to having a semi-professional army. But it is semi-professional, not entirely professional (absent, of course, the Tagmata and Varangians). These are not soldiers utterly dependent on the state for a career and, after their retirement, hopefully some good land. These are farmers, with their own land, that are getting stipends from the state to serve as soldiers when needed. In short, they're still much closer to the pre-Marian Roman Legions than any of Caesar's armies.
- They are not nearly as disenfranchised as the Roman Legions of old were. There, the votes for Consul were effectively controlled by the wealthy, due to the way the Comitia Centuriata voted. Here, every soldier (or worker on government contracts) gets an equal vote in his Theme's choice for Hypatos. From the poorest foot soldier right up to the Srategos himself. Moreover, since each Theme has a vote in a sort of Electoral College, the ambitious need to coordinate across several Themes in order to advance their cause. This means plenty of horse trading for votes. In my opinion, this is far more likely to result in political cliques than it is in demagogic coups. Not saying thats healthy for a system, but its better than tyranny.
- There's a much smaller reliance on slave labor that would dislocate the free holding farmers (who, again, the magnates are incentivized to make sure their clients still owned land in their own right).
- Constantinople is both much less bloated, population-wise, than Rome was at its height, and its also a far more practical city.
- While the Empire was, in some ways, more meritocratic institution than the Republic, consider that it was largely only when things were going badly that meritocracy came to the fore; it was a reaction to military and political disasters. Most people, regardless of their lot in life, throughout history, generally coped with that alright.
- The historical Republic was centered exclusively on Rome. All the political force lay within the confines of the city. Seizes the city and/or win over the masses of that one metropolis, and you are unopposed. This Republic is more politically dispersed, a web of interlinked political bases. Seize one, even Constantinople, and you tip your hand to the opposition.
- Constantinople is easier to defend than Rome.
- The Church, with their bevy of bishops of varying ranks, all in position for life, rather likes the idea that the temporal leaders are in power for limited tenures.

I don't want to try to convince you that I'm designing a perfect system here, and there's definitely challenges they'll face, and I do take the concerns regarding the potential for a tyrant seriously. But I hope that I've created a polity in this story that has organically developed a sort of - perverse is too strong a word - system checks and balances against its own excesses. A large part of this timeline is a challenge to myself to craft a non-urban Republic in the pre-industrial era.

I'm of the opinion that the general gist of these concerns are not as threatening to the new republic as the old. There are a variety of reasons:

- The state has already bit the bullet when it comes to having a semi-professional army. But it is semi-professional, not entirely professional (absent, of course, the Tagmata and Varangians). These are not soldiers utterly dependent on the state for a career and, after their retirement, hopefully some good land. These are farmers, with their own land, that are getting stipends from the state to serve as soldiers when needed. In short, they're still much closer to the pre-Marian Roman Legions than any of Caesar's armies.

But you just mentioned these are tenant farmers,so they don't own their land in a de facto manner because they only own the land by title but have to yield rents illegally to the local dynatoi on top of having to pay taxes.Unless some checks are balances are established soon,the folks might be reduced to de facto serfs economically speaking.Also,the problem would mostly be coming from middle-lower ranking officers who are obviously educated and probably want a more respectable career.If I remember correctly,there's a strong middle class in the ERE cities who are literate and probably forms such a class.I also don't think the urbanites are happy with the way the dynatoi rigged their votes.

- They are not nearly as disenfranchised as the Roman Legions of old were. There, the votes for Consul were effectively controlled by the wealthy, due to the way the Comitia Centuriata voted. Here, every soldier (or worker on government contracts) gets an equal vote in his Theme's choice for Hypatos. From the poorest foot soldier right up to the Srategos himself. Moreover, since each Theme has a vote in a sort of Electoral College, the ambitious need to coordinate across several Themes in order to advance their cause. This means plenty of horse trading for votes. In my opinion, this is far more likely to result in political cliques than it is in demagogic coups. Not saying thats healthy for a system, but its better than tyranny.
- There's a much smaller reliance on slave labor that would dislocate the free holding farmers (who, again, the magnates are incentivized to make sure their clients still owned land in their own right).
- Constantinople is both much less bloated, population-wise, than Rome was at its height, and its also a far more practical city.
- While the Empire was, in some ways, more meritocratic institution than the Republic, consider that it was largely only when things were going badly that meritocracy came to the fore; it was a reaction to military and political disasters. Most people, regardless of their lot in life, throughout history, generally coped with that alright.
- The historical Republic was centered exclusively on Rome. All the political force lay within the confines of the city. Seizes the city and/or win over the masses of that one metropolis, and you are unopposed. This Republic is more politically dispersed, a web of interlinked political bases. Seize one, even Constantinople, and you tip your hand to the opposition.
- Constantinople is easier to defend than Rome.
- The Church, with their bevy of bishops of varying ranks, all in position for life, rather likes the idea that the temporal leaders are in power for limited tenures.
The troops aren't disenfranchised,but according to what you've mentioned,they don't have a choice in who they vote for either.There's a lot less slave labour,but unless there's some way to guarantee that there's some form of social mobility and the peasants aren't too oppressed,something wrong will happen eventually when people look at the 'good old days'. While a single magnate can't monopolize all the votes,it's still basically backroom politics between landlowners who really don't need to have much regard for the welfare of the lower classes.I don't trust the aristocracy when it comes down to treating their tenants--at all.

The problem in the republic is that there's a strong middle class/urbanite population that's already developed,unlike other parts of Europe.If they are unhappy,they will definitely provide leadership and direction to the peasantry if they too are unhappy.And indeed,this middle class/urban population seemed to be extremely powerful and violent historically.The official reinstatement of the republic would likely give this group an ideological drive to be more active politically than they historically were.
I don't want to try to convince you that I'm designing a perfect system here, and there's definitely challenges they'll face, and I do take the concerns regarding the potential for a tyrant seriously. But I hope that I've created a polity in this story that has organically developed a sort of - perverse is too strong a word - system checks and balances against its own excesses. A large part of this timeline is a challenge to myself to craft a non-urban Republic in the pre-industrial era.
I fully understand what you are saying,I'm just pointing out that there's some structural flaws in the system which given the history and education of the Romans,it wouldn't be too surprising if someone would try to look to the past for solutions if something isn't done about it.I hope the structural flaws of the system would get fleshed out in future updates and hopefully actually addressed by reforms,otherwise the Republic might actually go on a full circle AGAIN back to where it started,since things are getting rather similar to the old Republic.

Last edited:
But you just mentioned these are tenant farmers,so they don't own their land in a de facto manner because they only own the land by title but have to yield rents illegally to the local dynatoi on top of having to pay taxes.Unless some checks are balances are established soon,the folks might be reduced to de facto serfs economically speaking.Also,the problem would mostly be coming from middle-lower ranking officers who are obviously educated and probably want a more respectable career.If I remember correctly,there's a strong middle class in the ERE cities who are literate and probably forms such a class.I also don't think the urbanites are happy with the way the dynatoi rigged their votes.

The troops aren't disenfranchised,but according to what you've mentioned,they don't have a choice in who they vote for either.There's a lot less slave labour,but unless there's some way to guarantee that there's some form of social mobility and the peasants aren't too oppressed,something wrong will happen eventually when people look at the 'good old days'. While a single magnate can't monopolize all the votes,it's still basically backroom politics between landlowners who really don't need to have much regard for the welfare of the lower classes.I don't trust the aristocracy when it comes down to treating their tenants--at all.

The problem in the republic is that there's a strong middle class/urbanite population that's already developed,unlike other parts of Europe.If they are unhappy,they will definitely provide leadership and direction to the peasantry if they too are unhappy.And indeed,this middle class/urban population seemed to be extremely powerful and violent historically.The official reinstatement of the republic would likely give this group an ideological drive to be more active politically than they historically were.
I fully understand what you are saying,I'm just pointing out that there's some structural flaws in the system which given the history and education of the Romans,it wouldn't be too surprising if someone would try to look to the past for solutions if something isn't done about it.I hope the structural flaws of the system would get fleshed out in future updates and hopefully actually addressed by reforms,otherwise the Republic might actually go on a full circle AGAIN back to where it started,since things are getting rather similar to the old Republic.

A few clarifications:
- The farmers own their land in fact and in title, but not all of it. Consider this: You're a poor farmer, who has a decent enough homestead. The local magnate comes along, and offers to buy up a portion of your land. You still keep enough to sustain your family and grow the usual cereal crops in your own name, but not enough to make it ahead. Depending on the arrangement with the magnate, you might rent back the land he's bought from you, for a percentage of the yield of the rented land. Or you might work the land directly for him when not working your own land, for a wage. Or some other such arrangement. Or, perhaps the magnate bought up your entire farmstead and sold you some land to compensate, so he could connect his estates. Whatever the case may be, you and the magnate are both economically tied to each other, and you get a patron and he, a client. Nothing underhanded, other than the fact that the magnate is throwing his economic weight around buying up land wherever he can. Or, if he's a less reputable magnate, he may have coerced you into selling.
- The troops can vote for whomever they want. They're just incentivized to vote for the candidates that their officers and the local magnates (often the same group) want them to. Nothing underhanded, here, for the most part. Just good old fashioned bribery.
- The Republic is, indeed, getting more socially stratified, but thats a consequence of prosperity in most eras and in most regions. Not much to do about it.

The Fall of Bulgaria
The Fall of Bulgaria

While the Romans and Fatimids were fighting their war, gradual tectonic shifts were coming to their culmination in the steppe lands to the north of the Republic's shores. For centuries, the steppes had been ruled by the Khazar Khaganate, and ruled relatively well, with little cause for concern in Constantinople. However, their power had been declining in recent years, due to a variety of threats, and due to the difficulty in any given steppe people maintaining their nomadic ferocity as they settled down and propsered from trade.

From the north, the Khazars were being pressured increasingly by the Varangian Rus, who were continuing to grow in strength, even as they began to assimilate into the local Slavic tribes. The Rus' center of power in the region was the burgeoning city of Kiev, on the banks of the River Borysthenes, known to the locals as the Dnieper. The Rus were militarily pre-eminent in the region, and, when not attacking their neighbors, were hired as mercenaries. More fatal to the Khazars was the Rus' control of the riverine trade routes. With their skill at sea and on the rivers, they were able to navigate the rapids of the regions rivers like no other, and soon, all the wealth flowing through the steppe lands in any direction was coming through Kiev.

From the east, the Khazars were faced by a familiar enemy: other Turkic nomads. However, now that the Khazars were weakened from every side, these nomads were able to overcome the Khazars, led by the Pecheneg confederation. They swept over the Khazar lands, as the Khazars themselves had, ages ago. Eventually, the Pechengs had the support of the Romans, who were very concerned by the threat that the Magyars faced. With Roman favor being given to the Pechenegs and being gradually withdrawn from the Khazars, the end was in sight.

To the west, it was those Magyars that Rome feared that were threatening the Khazars as well. Expanding in every direction that they could, the Magyars were the most ferocious of all the nomadic peoples in the entire region. As the Magyars pushed east, the Khazars were unable to withstand them, and it looked as though the Magyars might dominate the entire land north of the Black Sea. However, the Pechenegs, with Roman support were able to deliver a solid defeat upon the Magyars, and stymied their efforts in that direction.

All of this was small comfort for the Khazars, as the two greater powers were fighting over their lands. The Khazars would not completely be wiped off the map, but they would be constrained to the lands between the Caspian and Black Seas, just north of the Caucasus mountains. There, they would form a buffer between the mountainous regions and Romans, from the deprivations tribes like the Pechengs.

It was in AD 909 when the Maygars, under the leadership of one of their more ferocious warlords, Geza, decided to move to the west, over the Carpathian mountains and into the Pannonian plain, where the remainder of the Bulgarian Kingdom lay. The Bulgarians were not at all expecting an attack of this sort, with most assuming that, if any such attacks were made, it would be against the settlements along the Danube to the southeast, rather than their lands. Overwhelmed by the invasion, the Bulgarians were effectively defeated within a year, though resistance would continue for another half dozen years. Many Bulgarians, unwilling to live under nomadic rulers, migrated to the lands of their cousins in Moesian Bulgaria, under Roman protection. When Geza began to raid these lands, and the lands of other protectorates of the Republic, the Romans were able to marshall an army to counter them, and call upon their new anti-Magyar allies, the Pechenegs, to invade the Magyar lands east of the Carpathians.

The Magyars were thus hindered in their expansionism, as the Pechenegs were able to defeat them east of the Carpathians and take their lands there, while the Romans were able to, at minimum, slow their raids and make them unprofitable. At the end of the day, the main difference was that it was now the Magyars, instead of the Bulgarians, occupying the Pannonian plain. Far more hostile to Rome and less inclined to diplomatic relations, and far more in touch with their nomadic roots, the Magyars would prove to be a thorn in the side of the Romans and the Frankish successors for years to come.

End

Edgar Norsebane
Edgar Norsebane

Edgar ascended to throne of the nominal Frankish Empire in AD 915, at the young age of 14. His seat of power was the city of Winchester, and he ruled, directly, little more than the lands of the former kingdoms of Wessex and Sussex, the Anglo-Saxon states that predated his illustrious ancestor, Drogo. Aside from a few cadet branches scattered across the former Frankish lands, Edgar was the last royal Carolingian at the time of his ascension. Both the lands of Gaul and Britain were a patchwork of competing local lords and, along the coasts, Viking settlements that provided springboards for further raids. The lands beyond the Rhine, known either as East Francia or Germany, were somewhat more united, under the leadership of Konrad the Bold, a duke who was king in all but name of the region (the actual East Francian king was a puppet named Drogo, who was maternal descended from the Carolingian dynasty). Contemporaries were not inclined to give Edgar much confidence, and many assumed that his reign would be short-lived and would spell the end of the once mighty house of Charles Martel and Drogo the Great.

That Edgar did not, in fact, fail as a ruler has often been considered one of the great marvels of history. That said, young Edgar did have many advantages that were not readily obvious upon a cursory review of the facts of the ground at the time of his ascension. The most obvious, and likely least consequential, was his pedigree. Least important though it may - or may not - have been, it is worth considering that much of Western Europe had seen very hard times for the past several generations, and the rule of the Carolingians across much of the continent was much idealized. Many were quite comfortable with the idea of Carolingian rule. When reading Roman histories, much credit is given to the wise counsel of their exiled former leader AlexiosBagrationi, who served as one of Edgar’s chief advisors for the better part of two decades. Good advisors are crucial to any sovereign, but capability and intelligence on the part of that sovereign are equally important, and Edgar had an active, inquisitive, and restless mind. He was possessed of one of those minds that countries are so rarely blessed to find in their ruler’s heads. The sort that tirelessly works from dawn until dusk, and that delighted in the minutiae of governance. Edgar’s final advantage was structural: though he ruled a small, vulnerable kingdom, all of his neighbors did, as well. He was the biggest fish in a small pond.

Edgar spent the first few years of his reign acclimating to the responsibilities of rule, which could only be expected of someone so young. However, in AD 918, he began to lead attacks against the small Viking settlements near his territory to learn the art of war and to build a reputation as a warrior; rulers of this time and place were not expected to delegate military matters, but were to don armor and lead their men by example. The bold young Edgar quickly earned the reputation he sought and the scars that came with it. When the Viking villages fell to his army, his standard course of action was to offer a choice to them: They could flee the island, never to return to Britain, upon pain of death (when some tried to re-locate to other parts of Britain, he eventually made good on that threat, even though doing so violated the territory of another ruler, but that was years away). They could convert to Christianity and accept him as their ruler, and he would not disrupt their lives in any other fashion. They could retain their ancestral faith, but Edgar would break up their village and scatter their families across his land. Most accepted conversion, but Edgar was quite tolerant of those that did not, and many former Viking raiders proved to be excellent warriors in his armies. Edgar broadcast his successes far and wide, and it was even at this early stage in his reign that he became known as Norsebane, despite his relative leniency with his foes.

Edgar parlayed this reputation as a way to exert his authority over his neighbors. The petty lords surrounding Edgar’s territory quickly swore fealty to him. As he was, after all, their rightful sovereign anyway, and clearly capable of protecting them from the Vikings, there was little in the way of protest at this stage of his growing power. Edgar must have controlled the entirety of the southern third of the English territory by AD 921, as he moved his seat to London, the old capital. Far more vulnerable to Viking attacks but also a far better point from which to stage his own attacks on them, it was a bold move on the part of the young king, and it quickly paid dividends. The following year, he created a new title. Ever since the time of Drogo, there had been no title that acknowledged the existence of Britain or England as a political entity; any claim to authority over all of the region fell under the Imperial title. However, Edgar, seeking to bolster his rule over the English and declare his intentions to restore the entire land, had himself crowned as the first King of England, without abandoning his title of Emperor.

Edgar now pushed further and further north, subduing both English and Viking opponents to his ambition. The greatest challenge was the Viking king of Jorvik (York), Harald the Bloody, under whose reign York had prospered mightily. Supposedly, Edgar had fought and killed Harald’s brother in single combat during one of Edgar’s early campaigns, but it is likely a later embellishment. Edgar won a series of small battles against Harald, content to whittle down his forces and methodically wrest as much land as possible from the Viking ruler as possible before committing to a major engagement. Then, he launched the killing stroke against his enemy: a marriage proposal.

Edgar’s proposal was to either Harald’s sister or, according to one reading, his niece. Either way, Edgar proposed a marriage alliance and asked Harald if he wanted to be a lord, governing Jorvik under Edgar, ruling much as he had before, or if he’d rather rule a great kingdom in his own right. He could be the King of the Danes, allied by blood with the King of England, who would, of course, support his brother in asserting his rightful claim to rule that faraway land. Edgar had sized up the man quite accurately, and Harald accepted the offer to take the relatively young throne of Denmark, as a far more prestigious and challenging role. Harald’s conquest of Denmark and his abandonment of Jorvik to Edgar was one of the great diplomatic maneuvers of history, to hear the English version of events. Edgar managed to score a nearly bloodless conclusion to his conquest of England. He thus inherited a large, prosperous territory that was, soon enough, devoid of entrenched power blocs that might interfere with his designs. He also secured for himself an alliance with a man who would quickly go on to assert his control over the majority of the Norse peoples in Denmark and in Norway. With the main body of Vikings under Harald’s rule, few dared to raid Edgar’s England. That peace enabled Edgar to strengthen his rule even further, and also led to increased prosperity in his island kingdom, as well as an uptick in trade, as many of those former raiders still plied the North Sea, but as merchants only.

The reconquest of England complete by AD 925, Edgar then turned his focus to the south, across the channel. There, the fragments of Carolingian authority were even more shattered than in England, and Edgar hoped to re-incorporate the entire coast of Gaul into his restored Empire. This went about as well as his adventures in England. Unlike previous attempts to re-unify the Empire, Edgar was operating from a stable and secure base of operations in England, and did not have to fend off Vikings at the same time as he fought the local nobles. Further, many saw in Edgar a ready opportunity to protect themselves against the Vikings themselves, due to his alliance with Harald. Of course, given that much of the coastline was in the hands of local Viking warlords, Edgar had plenty of opportunities to prove his efficacy in protecting his subjects from the raiders. Within two years, he had secured the entire Channel coast, from the lowlands of the Rhine delta to Brittany.

Edgar’s policies on the continent were mostly diplomatic, beyond this initial military adventurism. He made common cause with both the King of Aquitania, Albert, and Conrad of Germany. Edgar was quite amenable to the idea of a series of buffer states across the center of Gaul between the three powers, and Edgar made it clear that he was not so ambitious as to think that trying to re-incorporate the two other great realms into a truly restored Frankish Empire would work in the slightest. Edgar marked out his southern border, which went far south enough to include Paris and Cologne, with the Rhine being his eastern border. Then, he sponsored those rulers who were agreeable to being in between the three kingdoms as independent dukes. These included, among others, the rulers of Nantes, Poitou, Tours, Orleans, Metz, and Dijon. After carving up the map of Europe with his fellow rulers, Edgar attended Christmas Mass in Germany, where the Pope and Archbishop of Paris were on hand to crown Conrad as the first King of Germany, the culmination of Edgar’s diplomatic maneuvering.

With a series of peaceful powers to the south and east, and much weaker realms in the rest of Britain, Edgar then set about what he considered to be his greatest challenge. The various lords that had submitted to his rule retained a variety of prerogatives and powers that Edgar could not tolerate now that he was pre-eminent. He spent over a decade methodically breaking the power of those nobles, deposing those that would not acquiesce to his plans and replacing them with royal appointees. By the end of the 930s, supposedly not a single hereditary ruler was to be found in Edgar’s lands.

Edgar ruled until AD 944, just shy of 30 years on the throne. He left behind a rejuvenated and reunified England. Though many of his reforms would not last far beyond his death, and his modest continental ambitions gradually started to slip away just as quickly, he is rightfully credited as the founder of the modern British state.

End

Rule over (northern) France is essentially all or nothing, Normandy etc are too flat and connected/contiguous not to unite them.

Edgar comes across as a surprisingly diplomatic and shrewd ruler, one who would probably be appreciated far more in centuries to come than among his contemporaries despite his military victories. It's unlikely that his successors will be so tactful, and his "empire" if it doesn't shift to Paris is almost certainly going to fracture.

Rule over (northern) France is essentially all or nothing, Normandy etc are too flat and connected/contiguous not to unite them.

Edgar comes across as a surprisingly diplomatic and shrewd ruler, one who would probably be appreciated far more in centuries to come than among his contemporaries despite his military victories. It's unlikely that his successors will be so tactful, and his "empire" if it doesn't shift to Paris is almost certainly going to fracture.

He's inspired by Alfred the Great, but with more resources. Seems to me that Alfred was appreciated enough in his era to earn the cognomen 'the Great.'

Balkan and Caucasus Expansionism
Balkan and Caucasus Expansionism

As the leaders of the Roman Republic surveyed the landscape around their territory in the 10th century, they eagerly sought new territories in which to expand their influence. After the heavily taxing war against the Fatimids, and the newfound threat of the Magyars, the Roman state needed to flex it military might in order to deter foreign foes, particularly as the Alexian reforms left many of the military establishment not absolutely certain on how best to use their reorganized army. Alexios Bagrationi left another subtle reason for the Roman elite to engage in adventurism beyond their borders. His legacy was such that every aspiring general hoped to, at minimum, remind the citizenry of Alexios during election time. Given that Alexios was the general that restored the most holy of cities, Jerusalem, to Roman governance, none could hope to match his exploits, but they could at least hope to still earn their own share of glory.

In the east, the various principalities and petty kingdoms of the mountain regions still continued to vie amongst themselves for supremacy of their sovereign valley or the next, with those nearest to Rome generally maintaining peaceful relations with each other, at Rome's behest. The largest extent of territory in the region was inhabited by the Armenians, but, to the north, near the spine of the Caucasus Mountains, the people known variously to history as Iberians, Kartvelians, or Georgians lived. Though they had been more isolated from Roman political authority than the Armenians, they were more religiously aligned with Rome. Among each of these societies, the Roman Republic was determined to exert their political influence as assertively as possible without alienating too many.

The pattern of expansion became rather routine during the first half of the 10th century. The Romans would bolster their influence in the territories of those states that were inclined towards friendly relations with Rome. Then, they'd pick a fight with their neighbors, and add to the territory of their allies, while maintaining garrisons to help them hold their new land. As the Republic moved further and further east, it began to face those states that were remnants of the halcyon days of the Caliphate, where the Fatimids still held some sway. Some where native Armenians, either Christian or Muslim, and some were the descendents of the Arabs who had settled their nearly three centuries earlier, and many were somehwere in betwee. The Romans tentatively pushed into these territories, hesistant to trigger an outright war with the Fatimids, but, when they found that the Fatimids were even more disenchanted with renewed war with Rome, there was little holding the Republic back.

The land of the Georgians was even more amenable to Roman expansionism. They'd long been subjugated, to varying degrees, by the more energetic periods of Roman history. Further, their landscape was not nearly as broken as that of Armenia, thus untangling much of the political intrigues that the Romans found necessary in Armenia when expanding there. By the early 940s, Roman authority over the region had reached a height not seen since the time of Constantine in the early 4th century, with only the lands bordering the coast of the Caspian not under Roman control.

In the west, the Balkan territories south of the River Danube were also seen as a tempting avenue of expansion for Rome. The logic in that territory was very simple: Rome was already protecting the various principalities south of the Danube from Magyar attacks, Rome was receiving no direct benefit from this relationship aside from having a series of buffer states, and they had historically been part of Roman territory for centuries. On the last point, the growing desire of the Roman government to reclaim as much of their former glory led many to conclude that any future projects could certainly benefit from the influx of Dalmatian soldiers, conscripted from one of the traditional recruiting grounds of the Roman Empire and hardened by the life in the rugged terrain constantly beset by invasions.

As the Magyar raids intensified, the Roman military started stationing permanent garrisons at key points in the Balkan territories, rotating out their armies with regularity. Then, they started recruiting from among the local Serbs, Croats and Bulgarians, extracting tribute to maintain the fortifications, and drafting labor to improve the infrastructure. Though there are historical dates in which proper themes were organized in the Balkan regions, ranging from AD 939 to AD 953, it is unlikely that any of the small states maintained any recognizable degree of autonomy by that point, and their incorporation as themes was largley just an administrative clarification. The Danube formed the majority of the new border, until the River Sava branched off, at which point the border followed that tributary until nearing Italy; though the Romans maintained a military presence between the Rivers Sava and Drava, without formally annexing that territory.

End

Linguistic Developments of the 10th Century Republic
Linguistic Developments of the 10th Century Republic

As the Republic expanded further and further after the nadir of Roman power in the 8th century, the makeup of the populations changed as more and more people could be called Roman citizens. These changes were felt across society and became most pronounced in the 10th century. A state that had been practically monolingual after the loss of most of its territory became more cosmopolitan in its organization.

In the west, as the Roman hold on Italy, the Balkans, and Africa was strengthened, the number of Latin speakers increased in Roman government accordingly. Of course, so long after the fall of the West, the state of the Latin language was far from the unified language of Cicero and Seneca. There were as many dialects as there were local communities. It is difficult to say just how many dialects there were, since, in most cases, the local vernacular did not survive as a written language. Ironically, the local vernaculars are best attested in the territories outside of the Republic, where the local government did not have such an attachment to classical Latin.

A rough estimate would likely place two to three dialects in Italy proper, one to two dialects in the major Mediterranean islands, two dialects in the Western Balkans, and two dialects in the Eastern Balkans. This does not count the Berber-Latin dialect spoken in North Africa, or the Arab-Latin dialect spoken in Andalusia. Nor does it include the various, more native dialects of northern Hispania or of Gaul. Though the educated wrote in Classical Latin, and the scriptures were written in a relatively refined form of Vulgar Latin, few actually spoke a word of either.

As much linguistic diversification occurred in the decline of the Roman state, the natural gravitation of political unity began to blur the barriers between the dialects again. With the restoration of political stability and the elimination of piracy from the Mediterranean, trade between the various Latin dialect speaking regions picked up proportionately, and soon, a common trade tongue re-emerged as the merchants, sailors, and those that did business with them communicated more frequently. This common dialect developed naturally and haphazardly, and proved quite useful to its speakers. This trade tongue included influences and loan words from Arabic, Berber, and various Germanic dialects.

Less natural was the other key unifying linguistic element, the government. As officials were engaged with speakers of these dialects, they increasingly began to deviate more and more from 'proper' Latin. Their written communiques were often enough composed in the style expected, but even these letters often included all sorts of local deviations. Complicating matters further was that Constantinople served as a melting pot, with the politically ambitious working in the city and mingling with speakers of other barely mutually intelligible dialects of Latin. Eventually, several circles of the elite started to formulate their own, more sophisticated common tongue, with several works of prose and poetry consistently and deliberately including many new innovations, with the chief foreign inspiration being, as in older eras, Greek. By the end the century, there was tremendous overlap between the two versions of this newer Latin, and it even began to bleed into ecclesiastical works.

In the east, outside of the Greek-speaking heartlands, it was the local Syriac language that was the most commonly spoken. It had moderately faded in popularity in the face of the rise of the Arabic-speaking Caliphs, but with the restoration of Roman rule, Syriac experienced a revival. Arabic, being a fellow semitic language, more easily absorbed Syriac into its continuum, and Syriac absorbed plenty of Arabic into its own vocabulary.

End

I kind of ran out of steam at the end here.

The North African War
The North African War

When the Romans were pre-occupied with their concerns in the Eastern Mediterranean, the peoples of the west were not idle. One development during the early 10th century was the gradual consolidation of the Berber populations into larger confederations. When the Romans had kept up with their diplomatic efforts in North Africa, they had kept the Berbers weak and divided, as they had been when the Romans occupied the important coastal cities. Upward of a dozen different tribal groups all jockeyed for primacy in the lands beyond the Roman garrisons, which suited the Romans just fine. So long as none took their rivalries to the sea, the Romans tolerated almost any actions from the tribes, up to and including small raids on the lands around the cities (though trade was far more common). However, this disunity began to fade in the end of the 9th century, and two main confederations began to form. The names that contemporaries (and, ultimately, historians) applied to these two groups implies far more cohesion within each than likely actually existed, and were likely not even how the people in these tribal confederations considered themselves, but they have proven useful enough to stand the test.

The two main confederations that emerged from the melee amongst the Berber tribes were the Zanata and the Mauri. The Zanata were originally an earlier confederation that had allied themselves with the initial Muslim expansion into the region, and had profited greatly when the invasion of Hispania occurred. They went into decline when the Romans re-asserted themselves in the region, but formed a strong nucleus around which other tribes began to ally. This renewed Zanata confederation was led by a number of Muslim clans, and they quickly established close ties with the Imams of Cordoba, eager for a benefactor among the major powers of the day. However, they did as little as possible to antagonize the Romans, for obvious reasons. It was far more profitable to keep up good relations with such a powerful state, and focus their attention on establishing hegemony over the other berber tribes. This attention, in the form of various aggressions, helped coalesce the second of the two relevant confederations, which became known as the Mauri, after the classical Latin name for the western Berber tribes. These Mauri were generally the more Latinized tribes, and, as the Zanata leadership was largely Muslim, the Mauri leadership was largely Christian. And, where the Zanata looked first to Cordoba for support, the Mauri looked first to Constantinople. Again, both groups were not nearly as homogenous and unified as the imagination might incline towards; both were composed of both Christian and Muslim tribes, and it was ultimately more geographic that cultural or religious affiliation that determined where a tribe might find itself between the confederations.

While it may be tempting to try to pin down the ultimate start of the war on one specific incident - where one confederation stole too many sheep from the other, or attacked an envoy without provocation - the historical record is actually relatively sparse. What is known is that both the Republic and the Imamate started to more actively take an interest in the goings on in North Africa around AD 920, and both states started sending detachments of troops to help guard their client confederation against the deprivations of the rival confederation, which greatly increased friction between the two powers. It was not the only cause of friction between them, though there is dispute over just why relations were deteriorating. The two most popular - though not mutually exclusive - theories are either that the Romans were eager to expand in the West, or that the Cordobans had started to antagonize the smaller Christian states in Europe, and the Roman government was finding it hard to justify siding with a relatively large Muslim power against smaller and poorer Christian states. Despite the uncertainty surrounding the beginning of the fighting, the two confederations were definitely fully mobilized and fighting each other by AD 922. The Imamate of Cordoba decided to take the fateful step of actively intervening in the fighting the following year, and sent a full army to attack the Mauri. According to some Arab historians, they had assurances from the Romans that, so long as this war as conducted within certain bounds, and that the Cordobans did not attempt to annex any land for themselves, the Roman Republic would not intervene. Roman historians do not record such a promise, which may or may not have something to do with the fact that the Republic mirrored the Imamate's decision within months, and began sending troops against the Zanata, along with ultimatums sent to Cordoba, precipitating a full war between the two former allies.

The coastal urbanized regions were firmly in Roman control, but the the main part of the war was to be fought in the hinterlands. In this territory, the lightly armed and highly mobile Arab and Berber armies had the advantage. Therefore, the Roman objective was to aid the Mauri wherever possible, and weaken the Zanata. Meanwhile, the Zanata could rely on the equally mobile Cordoban armies, and hoped that their superiority in such warfare was enough to carry the day. Of the two strategies, it was the Cordoban/Zanatan strategy that carried the day in the early phases of the war. The Romans could hold territory and maintain excellent fortifications, but they could never deliver a knock-out blow to their enemies. Meanwhile, the Mauri were effectively being isolated by attacks from both the east and the north, and were often at a two-to-one disadvantage in their encounters. By the third year of the war, the peripheral tribes of the Mauri were abandoning the confederation, and some of those were even joining the Zanata.

The Roman Senate was growing increasingly vexed by the course of the war. They were not actually losing any major battles, but the war was trending further and further away from victory. It was becoming increasingly seen as a quagmire of a war, where the Romans were doing little more than keeping the Mauri alive solely through their support of the confederation. There was discussion of simply withdrawing support for the Mauri, and ending the war. The Republic itself was not in any danger of losing any territory, and the Zanata had previously maintained relatively amicable relations with Rome. The pro-war faction in Constantinople was able to maintain power for at least another year, and they decided to change their strategy drastically.

Taking a cue from Second Punic War, the Republic decided to attack the heartland of the enemy. There, the Romans could bring their superior infantry and heavy cavalry armies to bear, and prevent Cordoba from assistingn the Zanata. Two main Roman armies landed in Hispania, one in the region around Barcelona, under the command of Petrus Galba, and one near Valencia, under the command of Paulos Doukas. Both armies were comparable in size to what the Imamate of Cordoba could bring to bear, and they began to ravage the countryside and invest their respective major cities. When Cordoba brought its armies to beear against Rome, they had to withdraw forces from North Africa, which brought much of the pressure off the Mauri. The initial meetings between the Andalusians and the Romans outside of Valencia favored the Imamate, and Doukas began to withdraw from Valencia, in good order, towards Barcelona. As the army slowly approached the Roman army under Galba, the skirmishing increasingly began to favor the Romans, as they were able to bring more and more forces to bear against the Imam's army.

That army, under the command of one Tariq ibn Husayn, decided to bring battle as soon as possible against Doukas' army, before it could fully link back up with Galba's. Husayn's army made a series of forced marches and cut off Doukas' army near the city of Tortosa. As Husayn's army was still the larger of the two - in fact, by this point, it was likely the largest army the Imamate had - he quickly forced a battle against Doukas' smaller force. The battle was one of the great examples that poets and playwrights love in warfare. Husayn's army was on the verge of outflanking the Roman army on both flanks, and had the Roman wings breaking, when fate intervened. A stray arrow hit Husayn and incapacitated him in an instant. The sort of Act of God that happens in such medieval battles, when the commanders are expected to command within missile range of the enemy. Husayn was not actually dead, but the fall from his horse did knock him unconcious. However, rumors always outpace truth, particularly in the heat of battle. The Cordoban center broke quickly after Husayn was taken out of the battle, and the Roman center charged forward, enabling them to break the envlopment, and even capture Husayn. Afterward, the Romans were able to take out each enemy wing in turn, and win the battle.

When Husayn came to, he was in Doukas' custody, and gravely injured. The Roman physicians were pessimistic about his survival, and Doukas, in a grand gesture of chivarly, sent him back to Cordoba, with his own personal physician, to either recover in the capital or, more likely, die surrounded by his family. It was the second that happened, but Husayn did survive his wounds for an additional two months after returning to the capital. Around the time of his death, multiple disastrous reports began to filter into the capital at Cordoba. First was the fall of Barcelona to Galba's army, which gave the Romans a full and proper port from which to supply their armies, and enabling them a better base of operations in the region than the small Balearic islands. The second was that the Christian kingdoms of the north, Asturias and Vasconia (or Navarra) began to probe into Cordoban territory. Smelling blood in the water, these rival kingdoms were eager to take advantage of the weakness of their southern neighbor.

News did not get much better afterward for the Cordobans, and the Romans were able to secure the rest of the northeastern region. Rather than annex it directly, they decided to establish a new kingdom, as a client of the Republic, declaring the new Kingdom of Gothalania (or, in later renditions, Catalonia). When Valencia fell the next year, the new Gothalanian kingdom had two of the most important ports on the east coast of the Peninsual under their control. The Cordoban army was able to regroup under a new supreme commander, Umar ibn Marwan, and, at minimum, stem the bleeding. The Cordobans began to negotiate with Asturias and Vasconia, working feverishly to keep them from forming a completely united front with the Romans. Meanwhile, they began to withdraw the remainder of their support from the Zanata, deciding to prioritize their own homeland.

The withdrawal of support for the Zanata began to bear fruit quickly, and the Mauri were able to push into Zanata tribal lands, and the Romans were able to take the interior lands in the east. The Zanata finally broke, and accepted Roman terms. Their most valuable lands were directly annexed to the Republic, their western tribes joined the Mauri confederation, and the remainder of the confederation became a Christianized Roman client. With the Zanata out of the war, the Immate of Cordoba agreed to peace with the Republic, in AD 929. They recognized the territory of the new kingdom of Gothalania, and agreed to maintain open trade with the Republic and their new neighbors. Separate peaces were established with Vasconia gaining lands down to Zaragoza, and Asturias gaining land, largely on the western coast, down to the Port of Calus (Porto). Though Cordoba had lost much land, it was still a major power, and it quickly established amicable relations with Gothalania, hoping to balance the new kingdom against the other two Christian kingdoms of the peninsula.

End

Last edited:
I hate to expose myself to alerts that have nothing to do with my watched threads, but while I like Rhomanion and all, I do not root for it in this instance.

At least Imamate survived.

So this new client kingdom has roughly the area of the Kingdom of Aragon? The Mediterranean is slowly turning back into a Roman lake.