Plausibility Check: Post-WW2 Japan Intact?

Is there a possibility for a WW2 Japan to come out intact as a nation without the United States basically restructuring it? I don't care about the empire, but a surviving government and national identity who has faced foreign powers and undoubtedly lost.

I doubt it. As soon as the Japanese order the Bataan Death March it's over for them. If all of Japan's policy was changed from the 1930's to be less nationalistic and not make all non-Nipponese people into "barbarians" then maybe they'd end up without all the horrid atrocities they had a fetish for committing, and that might encourage the Americans to be more lenient.

Umm...essentially they did. Japanese elites mostly just got slaps on the wrists, a few token guys got hanged for their trouble and Japan has never had to face up to what was done in it's name.

Sorry I should have clarified, I meant a situation similar to post-ww1 germany. Beaten, but still full of fight. But yea, the atrocities they committed pretty much nailed the coffin shut for them...

Sorry I should have clarified, I meant a situation similar to post-ww1 germany. Beaten, but still full of fight. But yea, the atrocities they committed pretty much nailed the coffin shut for them...

Pretty mch impossible. The Americans were angry, had a fucking huge industrial capacity, and weren't going to rest untilt he Japanese surrendered unconditionally. OTL was pretty much the best case scenario for them.

Is there a possibility for a WW2 Japan to come out intact as a nation without the United States basically restructuring it? I don't care about the empire, but a surviving government and national identity who has faced foreign powers and undoubtedly lost.

Since 1937, Japan had attacked China, the Soviet Union, the USA, the UK, the Netherlands, Australia, New Zealand, France...

They committed horribles crimes on colonized population : Korea, Mandchuria and on occupied population : chinese, white settlers... They treated people in Indochina, Malaya, Indonesia and the Philippines far worse than the white colonizers.

In China, japanese position towards the Chinese was the same as the Germans in Soviet Union : rape, kill, burn... And the killing methods were barbaric...

In Indonesia, they killed more people in 4 years than the Dutch in 400 years. It's a quote from an indonesian independantist.

The "volunteers" the Japanese gathered in their own indian army were not prosecuted after the war by the british because the volunteers did it to not died of hunger in the concentration camp the Japanese set up for the POW's...

They had pissed to much people, in fact every neighbours...