Plausibility Check of Timeline-191 (aka Southern Victory)

Ficboy

Banned
The Impact was major as it resulted in the unification of Germany.
Pretty much and it was the same power that made and broke alliances with various nations as well as compete in an arms race with Britain that led to World War I. Even if Franz Ferdinand's assassination in Sarajevo were to fail, Austria-Hungary would find out about the Black Hand and execute Gavrilo Princip as well as his conspirators not to mention they would be furious at Serbia given the ethnic origins of the group and thus still declare war on them and then the Entente would in turn retaliate thus there is still a World War I.

Ficboy

Banned
I think it was the 1870s. IIRC they bought it from Spain.
Even though it's unlikely the Confederate States would ever get Cuba from Spain or execute the Golden Circle idea they could however try to spread it's influence via proxy wars and supporting coup d'etats.

Even though it's unlikely the Confederate States would ever get Cuba from Spain or execute the Golden Circle idea they could however try to spread it's influence via proxy wars and supporting coup d'etats.

Britain and America are going to have some hard words over that

Ficboy

Banned
Britain and America are going to have some hard words over that
America yes. Britain probably not given that they are trading partners with the Confederacy and America. But it won't always be constant fighting every decade or two like Turtledove portrays it.

Putting it simply for the plan to succeed everything has to work to perfection for the Confederates, and the Union has to act with mind numbing stupidity. Seeing the blow coming they have to stay in place till it strikes, and then retreat in the wrong direction. At least at 2nd Manassas Pope had the excuse of Longstreet's attack catching him by surprise. Pope wasn't the sharpest knife in the brawer, but he wasn't a total idiot. When he saw the danger he reacted to save his army. Union Generals in the East did better on the defense, then the offense, because that went with their West Point training, and McClellan had taught them well.

All it takes, as I've cited, is for Lee to able to strike on the 19th; two historians agree Lee's prospects were good in such an eventuality.

All it takes, as I've cited, is for Lee to able to strike on the 19th; two historians agree Lee's prospects were good in such an eventuality.

And as I have exhaustively cited in reply, if Lee strikes as he planned on the evening of the 18th / day on the 19th, he is launching a frontal attack against at minimum Reno's Union infantry divisions and, considering the most likely butterflies of the PoD needed to get Lee's attack happening, likely more Union forces in close support. Frankly Pope's position is even better than @Belisarius II suggests - if he stays in place until the blow strikes, he is in a reasonably good position to fend it off successfully.

Of the two historians we have been citing thus far, one looked merely at an overview of the campaign without going down to the level of detail needed to seriously analyze Lee's prospects in this counterfactual. The other wrote many pages of details (cited in my previous post) that support the position of Lee having no particularly good prospects in this attack, and few-to-none supporting Lee having good prospects, admittedly making his final analysis rather confusing.

But if you think Lee's possible attack could have had a decisively positive result, perhaps you could outline a TL, in comparison to the one in my previous post, that shows how Lee's success comes about.

@History Learner , thank you first of all for giving a detailed response. I know of many previous post-ers who, when details are questioned or asked for, immediately start with tangents and broad responses at best, and often strawmen, insults, and the sorts of things that usually derail threads very quickly. I've read these exchanges for their entertainment value, but not at all for their analysis.

As such you deserve a properly-cited and detailed response.

Thank you, and I apologize for the delay in responding.

A first, overall point - all of the books we are quoting from and analyzing are Histories, not Alternate Histories. Their primary job is to describe what actually happened, and we (the amateur alternate historians) rely on them to be accurate as a starting point. These author's analysis of possible alternate timelines is a valuable tool, but this is not their primary job. Their analyses carry weight, but ultimately are only as good as the supporting facts behind them. We can look at the same starting facts and come to different judgments. Hopefully the authors will consider alternate histories that are at least supported by their own facts.

Largely agreed.

See the rest of my post for other of Hennessy's quotes that seem to go against his analysis here - and oh well, no author or person is perfect.

For your starting PoD - Good, we are all in agreement. You, me, and Hennessy all agree that Lee's initial plan for an attack on the morning of the 18th *was* going be delayed no matter what (due to Anderson's late arrival and provisioning necessities), and that the proposed PoD is Fitzhugh's earlier arrival leading to a move on the evening of the 18th.

Definitely and, again, my apologies if this was not sufficiently clear. Sometimes what seems to obvious to one isn't to others, and I should've been more wary of that.

Very true - and the same argument about speculative conclusions needing to be grounded in historical facts applies (we're getting to that).

I think we can also both agree that Martin's book is much more of an overview than Hennessy's - this 2 paragraph description summarizes several pages Hennessy spends on the situation - so for our historical facts, for the moment (and welcoming other sources as they come), I will stick to Hennessy for now.

Fair enough.

Now we hit our Alternate History analysis, and here is where the facts simply do not back this up.

Quoting Hennessy, page 39:

"New arrivals to the Army of Virginia held the army's left, south of Stevensburg near Morton's, Raccoon and Somerville fords. These troops consisted of part of Burnside's corps, lately returned from its expedition to the Carolina coast. Burnside himself was at Fredericksburg, but he sent two small divisions to Pope, numbering only twelve regiments, perhaps five thousand men. These troops were commanded by General Jesse L. Reno."

I already admitted the fairly small size of this force, but the OTL situation is that we have 2 infantry divisions patrolling the river as far downstream as Morton's ford. We also have, as Hennessy details on page 40, Buford's cavalry brigade - nominally attached to Banks' corps, but during this time operating with Reno.

Sure. My main point here is that, beyond the fact they are small as you note, on the 19th they're also effecting their own retreat; they cannot accomplish both a withdrawal and stalwart defense against overwhelming Confederate forces.

Pope was rightfully concerned with a move *around* his flanks as they were exposed, but this was a specific fear against a specific location. From Hennessy page 41:

"The army already covered the Rapidan from Robertson's River on the right, above Rapidan Station, to Raccoon Ford on the left, a distance of seventeen miles. Pope feared that Jackson might fall back quickly to Louisa Court House, then join Longstreet moving northwest from Hanover Junction, cross the Rapidan at Germanna Ford, several miles beyond his left, and strike towards his rear. Halleck recognized this possibility too, but until McClellan's forces arrived he could offer only one solution to Pope's problem. "If [you are] threatened too strongly," he told Pope on August 16, "fall back behind the Rappahannock,"

Now this would be a severe threat indeed - an actual flanking move around Pope's left via Germanna Ford. This, however, was not Lee's plan. Hennessy, page 35:

"Lee saw great promise in a move against the Federal left. Jackson and Longstreet could cross the Rapidan at Somerville and Raccoon Fords to assail Pope's left directly, while Fitzhugh Lee and his cavalry brigade sliced toward the Federal rear to wreck the bridge across the Rappahannock."

Siegel, McDowell and Banks are all operating with open left flanks. Reno, it appears, is the only one who isn't.

We'll come back to Fitzhugh's placement in a moment, but Lee's main plan was to have all of his infantry *attack* Pope's left flank. While it is an attack on his left (versus a frontal attack), it is not flanking inasmuch as it does not actually get around Pope's flank - the river crossing points in this plan were ones Pope's infantry (Reno) was actively picketing and would be actively covering iTTL.

Not in strength and not on the 19th overall.

Here I would 'quote' Hennessy's map on page 36 that shows exactly this, if I had the technology to do so. If anything, it shows Jackson's part of the crossing, at the farther-west Somerville Ford, as also possibly hitting McDowell's corps. It also places Lee's initial plan as to attack Pope on the morning of the 18th. Hennessy describes the move itself starting on page 42:

"Jackson's destination was Somerville Ford, where he was to cross on the 18th. After a day's march that by Jackson's standards was moderate (fifteen miles), his command encamped the night of the 16th along the southern slope of Clark's Mountain, north of Orange Court House. Longstreet headed for Raccoon Ford, about four miles downstream (east) from Somerville."

So at no point in the plan was for Lee's army to attempt a river crossing anywhere east of Raccoon Ford. As for Fitzhugh's brigade, this statement at first may be complicated by the earlier part of the plan to have them get into the Union rear. Surely this would be made easier by using a ford farther east to get even further around Pope's flank. However, that was not the plan either. Hennessy, page 43:

"That afternoon [the 16th] Stuart gave Fitzhugh Lee instructions to ride to Raccoon Ford, then took the train to join the army near Clark's Mountain."

This and all other indirect references on the next pages make clear that the cavalry was also to cross at Raccoon Ford once the movement began.

I'll see if I can get a scan/screenshot of the map in question.

As it seems we are in agreement that iTTL Lee will still delay the plan to the evening of August 18th, due to the later arrival of Anderson's division and the resupplying thereof, Fitzhugh Lee may be in position and ready to move but he will not actually do so until late on the 18th. This is a day after Pope has had Buford/Brodhead launch their cavalry reconnaissance. As I described in my previous post, if Fitzhugh's presence causes any deviation from OTL regarding this move, it will be to have Pope even *more* focused on his left wing and the Rapidan crossings.

Buford's cavalry was going a different route compared to Fitzhugh, but even ignoring that, Pope was already in a headlong retreat.

Glad we're in agreement here. As to why you think it won't matter:

If we get up to this point in a TL then I will respond in detail again page-by-page. I will agree that Pope's eventual retreat out of the V will take time, and cannot be *much* sped up compared to OTL. Note again though that Martin summarizes the situation that Hennessy goes into in more detail. A "huge" traffic jam at Culpeper is likely but not guaranteed, and the time it takes to resolve is not set in stone - again, we can go through Hennessy in detail in another post if it matters.

However, I think *this*, the above, doesn't matter.

This is because it will never get to a point where Pope is pressed to strongly that he doesn't have at least a full day to carry out his backwards move. As I have made clear, Lee's plan as it would be carried out iTTL is a frontal attack against Reno's infantry at the Rapidan crossings, and not a 'flanking move' in the sense of an unopposed maneuver. I simply cannot envision Lee's army quickly forcing a crossing in this situation. If they do it will be strongly opposed breeding delay. Any created beachhead is not guaranteed to be held permanently - one very possible reaction Pope may take iTTL is to order Reno to hold fast and shift large portions of the rest of the army eastward to support him. Near elements from McDowell's corps would be only a couple hours' march away, and Lee's troops will have hard fighting to maintain their possible hold on the fords let alone expand their lines.

Between his own reports from spies and Buford's cavalry capturing Fitzhugh along with two satchels detailing Lee's plans, Pope decided to retreat. I cannot think of any likely reason why Pope would suddenly cancel this decision mid-day on the 19th, when McDowell is already ensnared in a traffic jam given the retreat is underway, to reinforce Reno who is also already under retreat.

Pope.PNG

I would love to know where you got this map because I would love to look at it - certainly it looks like multiple shades of each color are used for different time snapshots. And I guess you added the brighter blue and gray lines?

As made clear earlier, Lee's plan would *never* get as far east as the gray line indicates. The dashed red line suggests Jackson's planned movement; Longstreet's with Fitzhugh leading would be at Raccoon Ford, about halfway between Somerville and Morton's it looks like. No part of Lee's army would cross the river even at Morton's let alone farther east. As for the blue lines, the Dark blue circles seem to accurately show the *general picture* of Pope's army, leaving out that they were picketing the river as far east as Morton's ford and would cover the river line more strongly iTTL. No part of Pope's army was ever where the bright blue line is (Reno's retreating men for a short portion of time on 19th, at best). A move by Lee via Germanna Ford would be a good idea to outflank Pope to the east, but this was not his plan. In fact, the specific placement of the lines you added suggest that Lee's plan is to flank Pope to the *west*, and force him eastwards into the V, so I have to assume that is a typographic error on your part? Again I wish I knew how to post Hennessy's map from page 36 as it shows Lee's plan much more accurately.

This map and yes, I added those. I have yet to look at the map you cite, but my understanding was that the crossing was to be done in a "swinging door" manner; i.e. clockwise movement into the V?

Again I want to thank you for creating a detailed response with critical thought. I am sorry to say, however, that it doesn't even begin to create a TL to fit the result you are looking for. A TL based on the PoD you suggest *may* instead go like this:

August 17th evening: Fitzhugh's cavalry is in position. Brodhead launches his reconnaissance, finding Raccoon Ford unguarded but a large Confederate presence not far south of the river.

August 18th day: Brodhead reports as much to Pope. Having not captured Lee's detailed plans Pope is not concerned enough to retreat. However, he is now aware that Confederates may be preparing for an *immediate* attack on his left flank. He orders Reno to move his main force to the Rapidan crossings instead of merely picketing them, and sends Buford further downstream to picket Germanna Ford.

August 18th evening: With Fitzhugh in position and Anderson's division arrived, Lee orders the army forward. The advance of Jackson's and Longstreet's columns reach the Rapidan crossings during the night, and soon discover they are strongly contested. Jackson makes an attempt at a night crossing but his attacking party is forced back with severe losses. Longstreet instead prepares for a dawn attack in force.

August 19th day: As sunlight arrives Reno sees the great strength arrayed against him and sends word to Pope. Pope fears further moves against his flanks and prepares to retire across the Rappahannock. He sends the army's supply trains northward at once, and instructs Bank's and Sigel's forces to follow. Banks rides ahead to Culpeper, where Pope knows there will be a traffic jam, and gives him authority to keep the trains moving. McDowell's corps is ordered eastward along the Rapidan river at once, to support Reno and hold the river line as long as possible, at least until nightfall. Meanwhile Beardsley and Bayard's cavalry brigades take up picketing the upper Rapidan crossings just in case the Confederate move so far is a ruse, but as the day wears on it is clear that the main effort is being made at Somerville and Raccoon Fords.
Longstreet's dawn attack succeeds in taking a small perimeter on the north bank of the Rapidan River, but it remains tightly circled in a small pocket by Reno's men and bombarded fiercely by artillery. It takes Longstreet time to organize counter-battery fire from the south bank to quiet the Union guns, and to stuff enough Confederate infantry into the northern pocket to think about forcing a breakthrough. By 9 AM Longstreet prepares his breakout attack, but instead of Reno's stretched and tired men he arrives into Reynold's division of McDowell's corps arriving at the double-quick. The pocket is expanded slightly but the breakout itself fails. By late morning Reno and McDowell have their entire corps arranged in defensive rings around the beachheads of both fords. Lee orders continued attacks throughout the day but these come to naught. Aware of the need for speed, around Noon Lee also sends Fitzhugh's cavalry brigade east towards the next Rapidan crossing at Germanna Ford, hoping to get into the Union rear. However Fitzhugh runs straight into Buford's cavalry brigade waiting for just such a move. By day's end Longstreet is convinced that any successful breakout attempt will suffer unacceptable casualties and suggests a new flanking move by the infantry against Buford or even further east. Jackson has relentlessly attacked all day and by nightfall has weakened a part of the Union defensive line to a point where he thinks he can break through - but his men are also exhausted. Lee disallows any more attacks on the 19th, but prepares to shift one of Longstreet's divisions to Jackson's pocket during the night to renew a dawn attack on the 20th.

August 19th evening: Under cover of darkness McDowell and Reno begin their retreat. Buford leaves a token regiment to slow any move across Germanna ford, and moves westward to serve as rearguard. Bayard and Beardsley move east for the same purpose. The lines immediately at the Rapidan river are abandoned, and the cavalry assumes new positions - some along strong defensive terrain, some in position to spring ambushes against overeager pursuers.

August 20th day: The Confederates push northward immediately. They are slowed significantly by Union cavalry, bringing Lee's advance to a crawl as his infantry constantly has to deploy and re-deploy between marching columns and battle lines. Yet this is necessary because of the bloody nose Bayard's ambush gave to Jackson's over-eager pursuit. By early afternoon the vanguard of Jackson's column nears Culpeper with the rest of the Confederate army dragging in a long strung-out column behind. Meanwhile, the Union trains along with Banks and Sigel take more than a full day of marching and traffic jams to get beyond the Rappahannock, but by noon on the 20th these corps are in position and the supply trains are safely behind them. Reno's corps makes good time en route to Kelly's ford and with a short march is also in position by midday. McDowell's corps has a longer retreat through Culpeper proper. He leaves 1 infantry brigade behind to help as a final rearguard, and this proves useful in stalling Jackson again along with the cavalry in an early afternoon fight around the town. The bulk of McDowell's men, however, cross the Rappahannock around sundown. Confederates occupy Culpeper and their leading pursuit moves a few miles beyond the town, but never gets past the Union rear guard or anywhere close to the retreating army.

August 20th evening: The Union rearguard and cavalry crosses the Rappahannock, with immediate Confederate pursuit again called off due to darkness and the obvious futility of the plan. These specific forces may take a day or two to rest, but by dawn on the 21st the rest of Pope's army is safely behind the Rappahannock and in position, exactly like OTL. The campaign cost a couple thousand men on both sides - a couple hundred more Union stragglers missing and captured, a couple hundred more Confederate dead and wounded in their breakout attacks.

I really don't agree with this scenario, to be honest. To quote from the book:

Retreat.PNG

McDowell and Pope himself didn't get the traffic jam sorted out until the afternoon of the 19th; I fail to see how the addition of Banks or, as you seem to be suggest, on his own, can speed it up when the other two officers failed. Further, as noted on the proceeding page and the top of this one:

Reno.PNG

Reno's men had been marching all day of the 18th and since 11 PM that night had been in a counter-march into the 19th. Their supply trains had, under Pope's orders, been likewise sent back first. I fail to see how they can make a determined stand when, as already noted, they are about 5,000 men spread out covering a lot of ground, exhausted from nearly 24 hours of march, most of their mass is not even in prepared fortifications and, finally, their supply wagons for their artillery aren't even available.

And as I have exhaustively cited in reply, if Lee strikes as he planned on the evening of the 18th / day on the 19th, he is launching a frontal attack against at minimum Reno's Union infantry divisions and, considering the most likely butterflies of the PoD needed to get Lee's attack happening, likely more Union forces in close support. Frankly Pope's position is even better than @Belisarius II suggests - if he stays in place until the blow strikes, he is in a reasonably good position to fend it off successfully.

Of the two historians we have been citing thus far, one looked merely at an overview of the campaign without going down to the level of detail needed to seriously analyze Lee's prospects in this counterfactual. The other wrote many pages of details (cited in my previous post) that support the position of Lee having no particularly good prospects in this attack, and few-to-none supporting Lee having good prospects, admittedly making his final analysis rather confusing.

But if you think Lee's possible attack could have had a decisively positive result, perhaps you could outline a TL, in comparison to the one in my previous post, that shows how Lee's success comes about.

I was already working on the reply to that post after I responded to his; his was shorter, so I wanted to go ahead and get that out of the way. It just takes me awhile to get through everything I have to respond to on the forums.

Southern States spending more on industrial infrastructure doesn't prove much, because Federal Investment more then made up for it. The CSA Constitution would've prevented central government support for the growth of industry, and infrastructure. It's hard to imagine a modern a national economy thriving under these conditions. This is a constitution for a pre industrial society. The best thing that ever happened to the Southern Economy was losing the war.
The CSA industrializing and maintaining white democracy is absurd to the point of being ASB and reflects a complete lack of understanding of the CSA on Turtledove's part. @thekingsguard has written some fine essays about this on his blog before. HTD's handwaves don't change these factors plausibly.

I got some free time, so I thought I'd post some excerpts from the sources I previously cited to you guys.

Modernizing a Slave Economy: The Economic Vision of the Confederate Nation by John Majewski, Chapter ECONOMIC NATIONALISM AND THE GROWTH OF THE CONFEDERATE STATE

Confederate railroad policy, in fact, provides a microcosm for understanding how secessionists crossed the thin line separating antebellum state activism and a powerful, dynamic Confederate state. On the face of it, most Confederate leaders seemingly opposed national railroads. During the Confederate constitutional convention, South Carolina’s Robert Barnwell Rhett and other secessionists sought to prohibit the central government from funding internal improvements. The Confederacy, they argued, should never allow internal improvements (at least on the national level) to generate the evils of logrolling, budget deficits, and higher taxes. Rhett won an important victory when the Confederate constitution specifically prohibited Congress from appropriating ‘‘money for any internal improvement intended to facilitate commerce.’’ The constitution allowed the Confederate Congress to appropriate money to aid coastal navigation, improve harbors, or clear rivers, but only if it taxed the commerce that benefited from such improvements. ‘‘Internal improvements, by appropriations from the treasury of the Confederate States,’’ Rhett’s Charleston Mercury cheered, ‘‘is therefore rooted out of the system of Government the Constitution establishes.’’​
States’ rights ideology, though, eventually lost to a more expansive vision of the Confederate central state. As Table 6 shows, the Confederate government chartered and subsidized four important lines to improve the movement of troops and supplies. Loans and appropriations for these lines amounted to almost $3.5 million, a significant sum given that a severe shortage of iron and other supplies necessarily limited southern railroad building. Jefferson Davis, who strongly backed these national projects, argued that military necessity rather than commercial ambition motivated national investment in these lines. The constitutional prohibition of funding internal improvements ‘‘for commercial purposes’’ was thus irrelevant. That Davis took this position during the Civil War followed naturally from his position on national railroads in the antebellum era. Like Wigfall, he believed that military necessity justified national railroad investment. As a U.S. senator, Davis told his colleagues in 1859 that a Pacific railroad ‘‘is to be absolutely necessary in time of war, and hence within the Constitutional power of the General Government.’’ Davis was more right than he realized. When the Republican-controlled Congress heavily subsidized the nation’s first transcontinental railroad in 1862, military considerations constituted a key justification. Even after the Civil War, the military considered the transcontinental railroad as an essential tool for subjugating the Sioux and other Native Americans resisting western settlement.​
When the Confederate Congress endorsed Davis’s position on railroads, outraged supporters of states’ rights strongly objected. Their petition against national railroads—inserted into the official record of the Confederate Congress—argued that the railroads in question might well have military value, ‘‘but the same may be said of any other road within our limits, great or small.’’ The constitutional prohibition against national internal improvements, the petition recognized, was essentially worthless if the ‘‘military value’’ argument carried the day. Essentially giving the Confederate government a means of avoiding almost any constitutional restrictions, the ‘‘military value’’ doctrine threatened to become the Confederacy’s version of the ‘‘general welfare’’ clause that had done so much to justify the growth of government in the old Union. The elastic nature of ‘‘military value,’’ however, hardly bothered the vast majority of representatives in the Confederate Congress. The bills for the railroad lines passed overwhelmingly in 1862 and 1863. As political scientist Richard Franklin Bensel has argued, the constitutional limitations on the Confederate central government ‘‘turned out to be little more than cosmetic adornments.’’
Like Louis Wigfall’s rambling interview with William Howard Russell, the ‘‘cosmetic adornments’’ in the Confederate constitution allowed secessionists to articulate republican principles without actually having to follow them. If Confederate delegates in Montgomery really wanted to stop all national improvements, they could have simply prohibited the Confederate Congress from appropriating ‘‘money for any internal improvements’’ rather than insert the qualifying phrase ‘‘intended to facilitate commerce.’’ It is hard to believe that the inclusion of the ‘‘commerce’’ qualification was accidental. Having spent much of their careers debating the old federal Constitution, the delegates at Montgomery carefully considered the implications of every phrase they wrote.∞∂ The delegates surely knew that men such as Wigfall and Davis had used the national defense argument to justify federal spending on internal improvements. As it was, the delegates ritualistically invoked states’ rights without having to worry about the consequences. Historian Don E. Fehrenbacher has argued that the Confederate constitution was written ‘‘by men committed to the principle of states’ rights but addicted, in many instances, to the exercise of national power.’'Perhaps it would be more accurate to say that Confederates were committed to the language of states’ rights in a way that rarely prevented the growth of national power.​
The decision to subsidize railroads, while ideologically important, was only a small part of the overall growth of the Confederate state. Other elements of Confederate state building, in fact, proved less controversial. When a shortage of pig iron threatened ordnance production, Davis told Congress in early 1862 that the ‘‘exigency is believed to be such as to require the aid of the Government.’ In April 1862 the Confederate Congress passed legislation that offered no-interest loans to iron masters who expanded their forges. The loans would only pay half the cost of the additional investment, but the Confederate government also covered to make advances up to one-third the value of contracts. To help forges secure additional raw materials, the Confederate Congress set up the Niter Bureau in 1862, which quickly became involved in exploration for new sources of iron. The Confederacy sometimes used private firms to produce ordnance—the famous Tredegar Iron Works is a good example— but the Confederacy’s Ordnance Bureau also built and operated its own arsenals, mills, and factories throughout the South. The arsenal at Selma, Alabama, for example, employed 3,000 civilians, while the Ordnance Bureau’s powder factory in Augusta, Georgia, was the second largest in the world. Whereas the North tended to rely on government contracts with private firms to meet the needs of wartime production, the Confederacy, with surprisingly little opposition, produced much of the military supplies consumed by its armies.​
The story of the Quartermaster Department is similar to the Ordnance Bureau. Historian Harold S. Wilson describes Confederate e√orts to outfit soldiers with uniforms, shoes, blankets, and tents as the ‘‘brink of military socialism.’’ The Quartermaster Department of the Confederacy operated its own factories and workshops, employing some 50,000 workers (many of them seamstresses). To obtain cloth for these factories and workshops, the Quartermaster Department exerted immense control over privately owned textile mills. Mills that refused to submit to Confederate controls on prices and profits faced the prospect of having their workers conscripted into the Confederate army. When wool supplies ran short—largely because Union forces captured most of the major woolproducing areas early in the war—the Confederate Congress authorized quartermasters to impress whatever supplies they could find. The Confederate Congress also allowed the Quartermaster Department (under the auspices of the Bureau of Foreign Supplies) to regulate and control most blockade runners. In early 1864 the Confederate government prohibited private shipments of cotton, tobacco, and other staple crops; required that private blockade runners devote half of all cargo space to the war department; and prohibited luxuries from entering the South. The Confederacy had essentially nationalized much of its foreign commerce.​
Also from Majewski, but this time the Chapter REDEFINING FREE TRADE TO MODERNIZE THE SOUTH:

The Confederacy, of course, never really had a chance to collect its tariff. If the seceding states had been allowed to leave without war, however, the Confederate tariff would have had a significant fiscal impact. According to economist Thomas F. Huertas, the South imported $200 million worth of northern goods in 1860 (see Table 5). With an independent Confederacy, northern goods would have been transformed into dutiable foreign trade. Under Confederate tariff schedules passed in May 1861, imported manufactured goods from the North and Europe would have yielded the Confederate treasury almost $34 million. The percentage of collected duties to the value of total imports would have been 14.3 percent, which was only slightly lower than the ratio of 16 percent for the entire United States in 1860. In per capita terms, every free person in the Confederacy would have paid $6.07 in duties. By way of comparison, the entire United States (both North and South) collected duties worth $53 million, or $1.94 per free resident in 1860. If the North had allowed the South to peaceably leave the Union, the Confederacy would still have increased the tax burden on its own citizens—an ironic result for a nation supposedly committed to free trade and limited government.​
The high rate of per capita taxation suggests the complex relationship between trade and Confederate nationalism. In some respects, the traditional southern commitment to free trade remained strong. In 1861, for example, South Carolinian G. N. Reynolds wrote in a letter to William Porcher Miles (a South Carolina delegate to the Confederate constitutional convention) that Switzerland was a model of free trade: ‘‘The result is that capital and industry flow solely in the most productive channels. So let it be with us.’’ Other secessionists thought in nationalistic terms and conceptualized trade not as a free-flowing river but as a weapon for punishing enemies. Referring to the North, Texas senator and former South Carolinian Louis Wigfall boasted, ‘‘Not one pound of cotton shall ever go from the South to their accursed cities; not one ounce of their steel or their manufactures shall ever cross our border.’’ A moderate revenue tariff that lowered duties on European goods while raising duties on northern goods synthesized these two potentially contradictory messages of free trade and Confederate nationalism. In the minds of many secessionists, free trade offered the Confederacy a means of escaping northern economic domination and solidifying international alliances. At the same time, secessionists could tout the ability of their government to penalize northern goods and protect southern manufacturers.​
In fusing free trade and protectionist impulses, secessionists spoke and wrote in a Hamiltonian idiom of economic modernization and economic nationalism. Just as Hamilton had imagined the United States becoming a world economic power, secessionists envisioned the Confederacy as a vehicle for promoting economic modernization. Confederate duties closely resembled (and sometimes exceeded) the 10 to 15 percent tariff rate proposed by Hamilton in his famous Report on Manufacturers (1791). The similarity in rates reflected shared goals of simultaneously promoting nation building and economic development. Hamilton wanted to make his new nation economically independent while simultaneously encouraging enough international trade to pay for his ambitious fiscal plans. His moderate tariff encouraged domestic manufacturing while generating enough revenue to finance the Revolutionary War debt. Confederates wanted tariffs high enough to penalize northern goods—thus encouraging economic independence—but still low enough to allow for a vibrant trade with Europe.

Colossal Ambitions: Confederate Planning for a Post–Civil War World by Adrian Brettle:

Brettle Part IV.PNG

Brettle Part V.PNG

Brettle VI.PNG

Last edited:
So, in the couple of days I was away, it seems @History Learner has been banned. Apparently I was far too generous in my granting his (?) sincerity in reasoned detail-oriented debate in our post exchanges. I had a few qualms based on a few other posts of his I read but was giving the benefit of the doubt....but oh well.

So let my final (unanswerable) reply serve as a post-script regarding these types of posters - whatever their overall objective is and whatever lack of good faith they may use in these exchanges: if someone is willing to descend into the weeds with them (and fortunate enough to have both the time and on-hand citations to do so), they will still lose the debate.

History Learner already granted agreement with the first half of my last post, so picking up from there:

Sure. My main point here is that, beyond the fact they are small as you note, on the 19th they're also effecting their own retreat; they cannot accomplish both a withdrawal and stalwart defense against overwhelming Confederate forces.

What History Learner is ignoring is that our entire exchange is concerning a point of *Alternate* History. Specifically we have already agreed (finally) on the PoD, and furthermore agreed that an immediate butterfly of the PoD is Brodhead not running into Stuart or his adjutant general Major Fitzhugh, whose capture was critical iOTL because he carried a satchel detailing Lee's plan. Hennessy, Page 48:

"The satchels produced an order from R. E. Lee to Stuart, describing precisely the Confederate program for disposing of Pope's Army of Virginia. Pope had for several days suspected that Jackson was being reinforced from Richmond. Now, here was proof that the entire Confederate army confronted him, bent on turning his left -- precisely the scenario Pope had feared."

If Major Fitzhugh is not captured then this captured order never reaches Pope, and he has no *definitive* information of Lee's plan. What he *will* know is that there is a buildup of Confederate forces south of Raccoon Ford. In this event, it is unlikely that Pope orders his army to retreat at all on the 18th; and it is far more likely that Pope orders Raccoon Ford and the others in the area more strongly defended than by mere pickets. Reno has enough strength to put up some opposition at the fords, if not enough to hold indefinitely against a determined assault, and this would lead to the scenario I had described.

Or, in other words, butterflies work for both sides once the PoD happens.

Siegel, McDowell and Banks are all operating with open left flanks. Reno, it appears, is the only one who isn't.

I'm not sure what History Learner was referring to here. Reno *was* the Union left flank - the other corps arguably may have open left flanks *only if* they were sufficiently far *behind* Reno, which may indeed be the case. It would also be irrelevant given that Reno is at the river line and would have to be gotten through first.

Not in strength and not on the 19th overall.

Buford's cavalry was going a different route compared to Fitzhugh, but even ignoring that, Pope was already in a headlong retreat.

Yes but not, as I said, in the new TL that we are debating, for the reasons quoted above.

Between his own reports from spies and Buford's cavalry capturing Fitzhugh along with two satchels detailing Lee's plans, Pope decided to retreat. I cannot think of any likely reason why Pope would suddenly cancel this decision mid-day on the 19th, when McDowell is already ensnared in a traffic jam given the retreat is underway, to reinforce Reno who is also already under retreat.

View attachment 573517

As noted already iTTL Fitzhugh would not be captured, which is the entire point. Spies alone would confirm the presence of Longstreet's wing, which should already have been suspected, and possibly the arrival of Anderson's division. But none of this would necessarily pose an *immediate* threat to Pope's army without knowing Lee's actual plan. The one spot where Pope could *definitely* make a stand against any plan Lee has is at the major Rapidan crossings, so abandoning these and retreating makes sense only once no alternative for holding them remains. One could even argue his decision to retreat iOTL is over-cautious.

However, let us assume that Pope orders the retreat anyway. Hennessy page 49 describes Pope's orders for the OTL withdrawal:

"The corps trains should precede each column, Pope directed, and each corps should throw "very heavy rearguards of reliable troops" three miles to the rear. The cavalry would also screen the rear of the columns: Beardsley with Sigel, Bayard with McDowell, and Buford with Reno. Pope would march that night. He hoped his army would be across the Rappahannock by noon on August 19."

Now that seems like a commander who plans to oppose any force trying to catch up with him. "Three miles" to the rear of the retreating columns would actually have the rearguard (for Reno and McDowell at least) be *at* the Rapidan River opposing the crossings. Cavalry brigades may not be able to hold the river line but they can definitely slow the crossings down, and then prevent the Confederate army from moving beyond them in route column for long, constantly having to deploy to clear the cavalry defenders. Note also Pope's hope for the timing, and compare to Hennessy page 51:

"At 11 P.M. the army "stole quietly" out of its camps, formed into columns along the assigned routes and started toward the Rappahannock."

So Pope, who naturally would not plan to have traffic jams in his withdrawal, still thinks it will take 13 hours of unopposed marching to get his army from the Rapidan back to the Rappahannock. There is no inherent reason for Lee's army to be able to march faster than Pope's. So once they *succeed* in forcing the Rapidan crossings, if they were unopposed they would also not be able to get to the Rappahannock until about 13 hours later. With cavalry covering the crossings we cannot expect the Confederates even iTTL to force the Rapidan until dawn on the 19th, and so they could not reach the Rappahannock until about sunset. However, they will be strongly opposed - by cavalry slowing their march to a crawl and then, if they catch up to the Union columns (perhaps at Culpeper where the columns converge) by the strong Union rearguard infantry. Considering that everything other than the Union rearguard *did* succeed in both reaching and crossing the Rappahannock by the end of the 19th, any forced slowdown of the Confederate pursuit *at all* is enough to let Pope's army to escape cleanly.

This map and yes, I added those. I have yet to look at the map you cite, but my understanding was that the crossing was to be done in a "swinging door" manner; i.e. clockwise movement into the V?

Non-sequitur. To swing "into" the V Lee needs to get on Pope's *right* flank, to the west, and force him eastward (clockwise) into the V. This is the exact opposite of Lee's plan.

I really don't agree with this scenario, to be honest. To quote from the book:
View attachment 573518
McDowell and Pope himself didn't get the traffic jam sorted out until the afternoon of the 19th; I fail to see how the addition of Banks or, as you seem to be suggest, on his own, can speed it up when the other two officers failed. Further, as noted on the proceeding page and the top of this one:
View attachment 573519
Reno's men had been marching all day of the 18th and since 11 PM that night had been in a counter-march into the 19th. Their supply trains had, under Pope's orders, been likewise sent back first. I fail to see how they can make a determined stand when, as already noted, they are about 5,000 men spread out covering a lot of ground, exhausted from nearly 24 hours of march, most of their mass is not even in prepared fortifications and, finally, their supply wagons for their artillery aren't even available.

Already largely addressed - the slowdown at Culpeper can take as long as it did iOTL and not harm Pope's retreat if he makes one (in which case he will be on-hand in person to straighten it out as much as he did iOTL, so it doesn't take longer). If Pope holds the river crossings instead then the slowdown can take even longer without harming the eventual retreat.

As for Reno, if they try to hold the Rapidan crossings they are holding 3 *small* stretches of river with well-known crossing points, a far cry from "spread out covering a lot of ground". Somerville Ford may already be covered by McDowell's corps instead iTTL, further easing the burden. Any opposition at all will buy the Union until dawn on the 19th at least, as a night crossing against unknown opposition is a non-starter from Lee's perspective. They then need a couple hours maximum before reinforcements can reach them. If Reno retires instead, then they may be tired but they also have the shortest march to Kelly's ford at the Rappahannock, with no other column to join them and cause a traffic jam. In OTL they reached Stevensburg by the morning of the 19th and crossed the Rappahannock *before* sundown. Their march is also largely to the *east* and so *away* from Lee's main plan of attack.

========

The bottom line, as it pertains to this thread, is that Lee getting a Camp-Hill-*like* level of victory in this 2nd Bull Run TL we were discussing is roughly as unlikely as Camp Hill itself.

Now, I am also strongly of the opinion that the Confederacy was lucky that the Kentucky campaign turned out as good for them as it did - so many things had to go right for them both strategically in the campaign and tactically in the battle - and there was roughly a 0% chance of them doing better in the battle (due to the massive numerical imbalance) or the campaign (due to their poor supply situation and the end of the summer-long drought).

So, put a possible Maryland Victory for Lee barren of larger strategic victory, together with an *unavoidable* Confederate retreat out of Kentucky, and either an OTL Iuka victory or better for the Union, and I cannot see European intervention happening if it didn't iOTL - the Rebels' situation simply cannot be improved by enough to make it worthwhile. Which, in turn, fairly invalidates the rest of TL-191.

xsampa

Banned
There isn't a stronger Latin-American or Central-American league to deter Confederate expansion, or at least ties with the US